Would you like to see more "realistic" sets?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xong.2096

Xong.2096

Ever since I got my Bladed Chest medium armor for my Thief, it’s what I wore. I did switch to wearing the Magitech Medium set for a short while but I went back to wearing the Bladed Armor (medium) again. I have don’t an idea of how many people in average wears it in the game but it’s one of the best looking sets I’ve come across so far.

I don’t really mind the “unrealistic” looking sets but I have expressed how some skins do look funny, like there was one in the BLTC it was a shoulder skin, and it has candles lol That’s not to say that others can’t appreciate such a design of course. We all have our own tastes.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Being the best MMO I have ever played, sadly at the same time GW2 has without doubt the worst armour sets and the worst variety of armour sets in any game I have played.

Anet really need to take a page or two from elder scrolls and some of the modded elder scrolls armour sets, I feel although the current sets are almost cartoon-ish.

I like the look of those pics you attached (however, it’s just black, black and more drab so maybe add a few more varying pics to make your point stronger?) and ultimately agree with your opinion. I find GW2 armors to be very unappealing and most of the utility of the wardrobe system seems to be for showing prestige pieces rather than making your character actually unique. Every time I see proponents of armor, mixed pieces and “fashion wars”, I laugh a little because the majority don’t care about fashion or even looking that unique. Do you want to look like a unique presence on the battlefield and have the signature portrait that defines your character as an influence in the game? Or do you just want to put on the pieces that show your “fashion wars” dedication (i.e. insert: [gaudy backpiece], [flashy weapon] and [most used body/helm piece 1,2 or 3])? That isn’t to say those gaudy backpieces aren’t useful or the flashy weapon skins are good, but they combine into a massive mess that overpower anything else about a character that can make them unique (although I feel some of the newer legendaries are going in a more complementary direction and feel less overpowering).

Personal rant aside, I feel that one of GW2 strengths is the cause of this particular weakness, particularly speaking, their variety of races and body rigs limits the effectiveness of their armor design. That isn’t to say Anet can’t make good armor for Charr or Asura or the other rigs, it’s just they seem to aim to keep each incarnation of armor similar to every other, likely because if it’d vary too much from one race to another, there would be complaints (who am I kidding? it’s not likely but an inevitability).

Not to state a problem without stating a solution, I feel it can be many fold to help make good looking skins for all races:

1. Stop limiting yourselves. If you have a good armor design for the normal rig but you can’t make it look good on Charr or Asura or male, etc, then just don’t. There are hard limiters on what a character can wear already, adding a few more might be annoying to some but if the product is more good looking skins at a greater frequency, then that’s just a compromise.

2. Don’t listen to the “fashion wars” proponents, and keep making outfits. Because regardless of what they say, the outfits presented, for the most part, look good. Making more grounded armor (I utilize the Arcane Outfit often enough to warrant its purchase as well as the Jungle/Arctic explorer outfit for excursions into their respective environments, I could easily see buying realistic armor or even just NPC town clothes as an outfit) may be better suited for outfits as, how some have already stated, they might seem a bit boring. You can still export certain parts of these realistic armor outfits as pieces if they are varied and unique enough to warrant the effort but even if not, such gear just looks better as a set anyway!

3. As I’ve stated in the past, GW2’s strength in the market is the variety of races (most other games beat it, hands down, on armor design). If you just introduce more races (I’m sure there are plenty who want to play as a Skritt or Kodan or Largos) and make them sufficiently unique in stature, animation and story, people will play them. The difficulty comes in voice acting and of course armor…but if the game had an outfit system so that you can alter the main look + color of your character while also implementing special personal customization features in the makeover kits, that’s all you really need. There are games similarly successful as GW2 with less customization in armor. So you can ask yourself, would you rather just pump out 6-piece sets that the majority are going to despise or complain about anyway as being inferior to other games? Or are you going to play to your strengths and introduce story and culture and allow more freedom for race with some possible (remember the 1. solution to not limit yourself) custom features for them which fewer games have?

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I think if Anet designed armor sets in a more more grounded fashion then people would appreciate them more.

I rarely see anyone wearing bladed or leystone armor, except for the light versions. Carapace armor still seems like a favourite, especially the heavy set.

I think Anet went a bit too far out of their way to make the HoT sets stand out. You can’t really combine them very well with other pieces and the full sets feel out of place and impractical.

As for weapons, I rarely see anyone using machined weapons. Sure, the “engineer” style stuff was never that popular in GW2 but man, it just feels like a waste.
Same with chak weapons. I mean, even for my chak themed sylvari I prefer other weapon skins because they just don’t look like actual weapons.
But overall weapons aren’t too much of an issue because we have sets like Gallant, Cavalier or Balthasar that look realistic.

TL;DR: I think Anet should return to the GW1/early GW2 roots of realism. More spikes doesn’t make it automatically better looking! And save those glowing crystals for legendary stuff because otherwise you’re devaluing legendary armor when it comes to looks.

I fully agree with this. I think GW1 had a good balance of realistic sets.
I would far more enjoy more realistic heavy armor sets like Elite Templar, Elite platemail ( from GW1) or Human T3 cultural and Phalanx sets. There’s too few of these in the game.
I feel there are WAY too many spiky/shiny/over the top sets in the game already.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Ototo.3214

Ototo.3214

I mix and matched the leystone armor just fine…
That’s the medium coat and pants right there with other stuff and I absolutely love it.
Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean other people don’t. I’m all for them making simpler armor skins if some people want that but I feel they should still keep making sets like these. Having a wide variety is best.

Attachments: