Would you pay to change Race?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Holyblesserx.7618

Holyblesserx.7618

would you pay to change race? we know that there are items in BM that allows you to change appearance and gender. but would you pay money to change your race for whatever reason? I would gladly pay a little $10 or whatever to change race if ever possible.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

No, I would just create another character

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

No, I would just create another character

&
What I want more is the name change contract.

Posted by: Opc.4718

Opc.4718

^ Oh yes that. Ability to change name by paying a fee.

Kehlirixx Q | Nixx Q | Classic Bunker

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

Race change would be convenient, it’s supposely for flair, just like the rest of the customization options, after all.

I think this suggestion should stay on the first page. Bump!

PS: Also name change would be nice! I’ve been known for one name on my server. And if want to change my main to another char, I’ll have to let everyone know I’ll be known by another name. That’s just too much bother.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

Posted by: Kallout.5289

Kallout.5289

With the way the personal stories work for races and the path you have chosen, it wont work. NC has even said it wont be happening, its something they just aren’t interested in working on, and I don’t blame them. Focus on patches and content I say.

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

I would never be anything other than Asura.

It would seem sensible to me if others wanted to become Asura as well. We are the master race after all.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Posted by: Uncle Salty.6342

Uncle Salty.6342

I assume race would be a permanent aspect of your character. Afterall, it is bound to your personal story.

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

No. If I wanted a character of a particular race, I’d roll another character of that race.

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

Nope, it would ruin the personal story…

just reroll, this game is flippin easy…

Edit: I would pay for a name change tho

(edited by Soulstar.7812)

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

would you pay to change race? we know that there are items in BM that allows you to change appearance and gender. but would you pay money to change your race for whatever reason? I would gladly pay a little $10 or whatever to change race if ever possible.

Race change won’t come because it’ll alter the story of your character. Name change will eventually somewhere a long the line.

Posted by: Zynthetic.2954

Zynthetic.2954

To fix the whole personal story dilemma, all they’d have to do is look at what story quests you have done, plus whichever quest you’re up to, and change them to the corresponding ones of race you chose to become.

As you can see in this picture the personal story has the same layout across all the races and your choice of order (pretty sure the orges is just a typo / oversight of the creator of the diagram). It’s nothing complex, Anet just need to change one mission to another during the race change process. They could do it without any problems if they wanted to.

The only side effect is that the player would miss out on part of their new personal story. Keep in mind not everyone cares for personal story however.

Financially it’s in Anet’s interest to offer such a service. Anyone that played WoW knows how much of a gold mine race changes were for Blizzard, especially after an expansion with a new race.

Then there’s also whether or not Anet even want such a service in their game.

And you can’t really tell people to just reroll a level 80. Some people are lazy, others have too much already invested in a toon, and there’s those who simply don’t have the time. Rerolling a level 12, yeah no biggy. Doubt anyone would want to reroll an 80 that already has multiple legendaries and all the bag slots bought, plus whatever else.

+1 for name change
+1 for race change.

Tarnished Coast - Principality of New Katulus [PiNK]
Commander Zynergise – 80 Hammer Guardian

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

I for one definitely don’t want to see this added. Choices are meaningless if they can be changed on a whim.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

To fix the whole personal story dilemma, all they’d have to do is look at what story quests you have done, plus whichever quest you’re up to, and change them to the corresponding ones of race you chose to become.

Err… Why overthink it?

Only allow race change if the following conditions are met:
- You’ve completed the main story

Simple as that.

To answer the question, I’m not sure I would pay for it… But I KNOW others would. The option should be there. Its better for us, its better for Anet. There is NOTHING they can loose on it. Just make a “premium” makeover kit that allow you to change your race in addition to everything in the cheaper kit. The post above that states choices are “meaningless” if they can be changed on a whim… It really doesnt matter. How many non-80 that hasnt completed the main story would this change possibility target? No one. Absolutely no one. Its the veterans that are WAY WAY past choices that would want it… The actual roleplayers dont want it anyway

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Zynthetic.2954

Err… Why overthink it?

Only allow race change if the following conditions are met:
- You’ve completed the main story

Simple as that.

As I said, not everyone cares for the personal story. Lots of people out there that wouldn’t have finished it. Plus it means that the character in question would have to practically be 80 to race change.

But I do see what you mean. They could also reset the personal story, making the player start it again from scratch.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

No
/15 characters

Posted by: Cooperal.8704

Cooperal.8704

I think this would only be great for people who have attained some endgame-soulbound items that are difficult to replace. Otherwise I’d just make a new character.

A name change fee would be nice though.

You’ve got to remember that it goes a little past simply changing your appearance. It wouldn’t make sense for a lot of characters until after they’ve passed the race-specific part of their story. They would also be exchanging abilities that were only selectable in the end-steps of character creation. As an example, it would be unusual to see an asura using an ability that implies he/she is blessed by a human god.

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

No, id hate a race change because it would be just another way to break the immersion of GW2. In my opinion the game already struggles in that respect.

Why would you want to change anyway? The only reason I can see is through boredom in which case just roll another character. Playing a couple of hours a day youre at 80 and a few dungeon runs youve got enough to kit yourself out.

Oh and I posted about the name change contract being introduced and cheeky ANET couldnt give anything away and closed the post :p Hopefully be seeing it soon.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Holyblesserx.7618

No, id hate a race change because it would be just another way to break the immersion of GW2. In my opinion the game already struggles in that respect.

Why would you want to change anyway? The only reason I can see is through boredom in which case just roll another character. Playing a couple of hours a day youre at 80 and a few dungeon runs youve got enough to kit yourself out.

Oh and I posted about the name change contract being introduced and cheeky ANET couldnt give anything away and closed the post :p Hopefully be seeing it soon.

personally i want to change my race because the cosmetics on my chosen race is inferior to others. I will pay real money to enjoy my character more based on how he looks. And its not as simple as a few dungeon runs. If i could transfer my BoE armor/weapons to a new character sure ill roll a new toon but it doesnt work that way. I have yet to finish the story mode, i could care less about it but if finishing the story mode were a requirement to change race that would be the only reason i would finish it.

Posted by: KRUSSIDULL.6845

KRUSSIDULL.6845

Yes, people saying otherwise has very weak arguments. There is no reason why you shouldn’t be allowed to change your race. Personally I would probably not use this feature but it would be a good feature to have if you would like to change race in the future.

Brute Swiftclaw | Far Shiverpeaks | Mistforged Heroes: tinyurl.com/gw2hero

Posted by: Merkator.6351

Merkator.6351

No, I wouldn’t pay to change my character’s race. I’ve no problem with others doing so however. Name change on the other hand I might just pay for.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Not in the least interested.

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

Yes.

15characters

Posted by: lunarminx.3624

lunarminx.3624

Yes I would pay to change my race. Too much time invested to just create another ranger, not included that she has 4 -400 crafts with top recipes.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Race change is offered in other MMO’s. I’m not sure it would work in GW2 due to the centrality of the story element. I realize we get shoe-horned in to common pathways but if you look at the story overall race matters. Of far more concern to me is the simple ability to change names. Gender change should not have been included in the total makeover without the ability to change names.

Posted by: lunarminx.3624

lunarminx.3624

Then allow the level 80’s to change race…the story is over, or once they reach kill the dragon, it is

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

Yes, because I have a Sylvari ele that I would love to change to human. A huge part of why I no longer play her is because I prefer human characters.

EDIT: she’s 67 and just an alt (my 3rd character), so I definitely don’t want to reroll and have to play through the low levels again.

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

Yes.

I deleted my 80 Norn Ranger and used the money I made from salvaging her Exotics to craft my Human Ranger to 80.

This was before Ascended, so now that my Ranger has full Infused Ascended, I’ll never do something like that again.

Posted by: Ehra.5240

Ehra.5240

I don’t think I’d use it…. MAYBE if I ever got super into wvw I’d turn some of my characters Asura, just because Pain Inverter can be pretty powerful if used at the right time. If I did ever do it, it wouldn’t be any of my Sylvari characters since they look too rad (I have one for each armor type).

But I wouldn’t mind if the option were available for others to use.

Holyblesserx.7618

Would love to see this as an option. My thumb and index finger are holding a $10 bill out waiting for Anet to grab it

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

No, but I would pay to have a name change scroll.

Posted by: hharry.1967

hharry.1967

Yes! I so want to change my asura to something where armor/weps actually doesn’t look so awful, but i know it will never come, i will have to make a new char, of the same class, farm all over again, items, dyes, ascended gear, god that’s not gonna happen.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Absolutely. Would love to be able to race change. Even understanding that has an lore-impact.

And I have 34 alts – which means, yes, I have multiple races of a particular class, so I HAVE rerolled. I’d rather be able to pay for a change.

Tell you what else I would gladly pay for: temporary “growth” potions that would last for an hour. Something that would turn me temporarily into a human. RIFT had this (preset representative appearance). Meant I could play my short class (Dwarf) and enjoy her appearance, and yet be more effective height wise (Human) inside dungeons when I was tanking.

I love my Asuras. Without ability to pull my camera back far enough inside explorables, it is often frustrating having to wait the extra couple of seconds (constantly fiddling with camera) to be able to put down targeted circles, etcetera.

I could willingly play a representative Seraph Guard inside dungeons.

If ANet is unwilling / unable to allow camera pullback, or race change, or a camera slider height option, I’ll gladly pay for a potion, one hour at a time, to get the same effect.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Race changes would also effect culture armour therefor no it would be too hard to do and too time consuming to ensure that no bugs exist in it.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

I want to change my account name

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

Zynthetic.2954

Race changes would also effect culture armour therefor no it would be too hard to do and too time consuming to ensure that no bugs exist in it.

It’s just another one of those “Convert X into Y” problems Anet would have to solve. They’d have to decide how they want to approach it (Refund the gold used to buy the cultural / change it to the new races cultural / whatever else etc), but it’s doable. Same goes for racial abilities (refund the skill points), and anything else really. It’s easily do-able, just requires them to sit down and plan out all the conversions.

If they can work towards fixing culling (which is an engine problem at GW2’s core), making race changes would be a profitable walk in the park.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

If it isn’t over 300 gems i would but i only play human, rest are ugly races.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: panikos.8309

panikos.8309

no.

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

If I wanted to change race, I would.

Edit: I think heard somewhere that you never will be able to change race. Because of personal story etc.

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

(edited by Pukknub.7368)

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

This game ties race to your character more so then any other MMO I’ve played due to the personal story.

It’s not a question of whether or not you want it, but whether or not ANet wants it.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

Posted by: Makovorn.1706

Makovorn.1706

Absolutely. Would love to be able to race change. Even understanding that has an lore-impact.

And I have 34 alts – which means, yes, I have multiple races of a particular class, so I HAVE rerolled. I’d rather be able to pay for a change.

Tell you what else I would gladly pay for: temporary “growth” potions that would last for an hour. Something that would turn me temporarily into a human. RIFT had this (preset representative appearance). Meant I could play my short class (Dwarf) and enjoy her appearance, and yet be more effective height wise (Human) inside dungeons when I was tanking.

I love my Asuras. Without ability to pull my camera back far enough inside explorables, it is often frustrating having to wait the extra couple of seconds (constantly fiddling with camera) to be able to put down targeted circles, etcetera.

I could willingly play a representative Seraph Guard inside dungeons.

If ANet is unwilling / unable to allow camera pullback, or race change, or a camera slider height option, I’ll gladly pay for a potion, one hour at a time, to get the same effect.

I think one of the big problems here, is the camera height – more specifically, how high the center point or vertical offset is. In general, the camera pivot sits much too low than what’s needed and this creates major problems for the asura:

Zoom in, and the camera lines up just above the waist, instead of lining up just above the head, making forwards observation and ground targeting very challenging at times. Zoom out, and your character is so darn centralized on the screen (a la “Diablo cam”) most of the forwards action either disappears off the top of your screen, or even more irritatingly, takes place behind the boss/enemy portrait/health-bar on the top of the screen … unless you tilt up/forwards … if only my point-of-view lined up with my characters eyes, and not the ground! What’s up with this super low-angle, “feet-cam” stuff in GW2? Seriously.

So for this reason, yes, I would love to be able to pay to convert my asura and human to a norn female – at least there, you can choose a short height in character creation, look like a human female, and take advantage for the camera height the norn and charr have.

In terms of personal story stuff, I really don’t see any complications, since it all pretty much standardizes for all races post level 20, so the game could just randomize the pre-20 paths or give you some choices, a la “Mass Effect”.

Posted by: BurnedToast.3781

BurnedToast.3781

Personal story is a really weak excuse. If you used a race change, it should just disable the personal story completely for that character – there, problem solved.

Personal story is meaningless and utterly uninteresting past level 20 or so anyway (whenever the choices you picked in char gen stop mattering) and none of the choices you make during it ever matter for anything at all or have any lasting impact on anything so it’s not like it’s a big loss.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Have you guys considered racial skills?

I feel this thread is highly racist.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

yeah. name change too.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

Yes. If any of the oh so important personal stories didnt make me want to bang my face on the table after a chapter or 2 then maybe no. But until then my char is just cosmetic just like the skins they sell.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Posted by: Did.2683

Did.2683

Paid race changes should be implemented. Rerolling is great for people who enjoy leveling, but for many people getting a new character to 80 is just a tedious and time-consuming chore. I don’t want to level the same class twice because of a cosmetic issue like race.

Posted by: Shlamorel.8714

Shlamorel.8714

Yes I’d pay in a heartbeat.

I’d also pay to rename.

I imagine they are saving these features for future pacthes to entice former players to return. That’d be a smart move marketing-wise.

Of course I’d prefer it be an option now, though :p

Posted by: Kallout.5289

Kallout.5289

Race change will never happen. I understand the point of the thread, getting yes’s and no’s… but, why? It WON’T happen. Stated by Anet, numerous times, and they don’t care how many threads are made with a tally of yes vs no.

Posted by: Makovorn.1706

Makovorn.1706

Race change will never happen. I understand the point of the thread, getting yes’s and no’s… but, why? It WON’T happen. Stated by Anet, numerous times, and they don’t care how many threads are made with a tally of yes vs no.

It has been stated by the community coordinator that, as it stands, the ArenaNet team has not considered a race change option in their future plans. Considering how easy it is to re-roll and level up (crafting alone can provide you with lots of progress in a short space of time), I think ArenaNet is more likely to encourage players to restart and explore.

10 Bucks for a new character slot is not all that much and you can always use the existing 80 as a bank character (like I’ve done with my asura and human). With this in mind, I don’t see ArenaNet making it priority, but saying that it “WON’T” (sic) happen altogether, seems a bit unrealistic.

Firstly, ArenaNet is a business and if a feature (especially a cash shop feature) is viable, especially if they can find an easy way around some of the story path issues, they might just consider it. Secondly, it’s not unlike ArenaNet to say “no” and then “yes” sometime later. If you want examples, I’ll be happy to provide it. Sufficive to say, if you’ve followed the development of GW2 closely, you’ll find many, many instances where ArenaNet have changed their minds regarding certain features in the game.

It all comes down to time, priorities, resource management and whether it goes against a core design principle (and IMHO, I don’t think it does).

Posted by: quickthorn.4918

quickthorn.4918

No, I would never bother. I have had characters in previous games where I decided I didn’t like playing the race but I either deleted them or stopped levelling them. They never got far enough to justify my starting again.