Would you play in an underwater map?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Would you play in an area that’s completely under water?

If not, what do you not like about under water combat?

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

In pve maybe, in pvp never. There are builds out there horribly unbalanced. One example is the infinite dodge underwater thief. And finishing off people underwater is a pain, especially against rangers.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I was hoping the huge square Southsun Cove occupied before it’s release woulda included the huge underwater area to the north or south but it’s blocked with invisible wall. u.u

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

yes, despite all the future forum rage. But currently a lot of skills (especially elite) are locked underwater so its not advisable to make such a map until they improve the game a lot more

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

No never, because underwater combat is broken in so many ways. Elite skills locked out, major targeting problems on land are worse in the water, 3D nature means its much harder to act as a “team” properly, and the effects themselves make it even harder to spot who/what/where is attacking or is a target.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Your elite skills are not locked out, you need to select them when you are underwater XD

Lexandro.1456

Your elite skills are not locked out, you need to select them when you are underwater XD

Wrong. Some elites can not be used underwater and are locked from selection.

Posted by: Zarazakzr.2076

Zarazakzr.2076

Never. Under water combat is just not fun.

Karizee.8076

Your underwater skills are available to you.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Underwater

“A player’s skill bar changes when swimming and when entering underwater mode. While on the surface of a body of water, no skill slots are shown; a player has no skills to use but is still vulnerable to attack. Upon going underwater, a new skill bar is brought up as a player’s aquatic weapon is automatically equipped. Each weapon provides class-specific skills for use in underwater. Players can also set different healing, utility, and elite skills for underwater combat. Skills which can’t be used underwater displays a crossed waterdrop in their descriptions.”

Lexandro.1456

“A player’s skill bar changes when swimming and when entering underwater mode. While on the surface of a body of water, no skill slots are shown; a player has no skills to use but is still vulnerable to attack. Upon going underwater, a new skill bar is brought up as a player’s aquatic weapon is automatically equipped. Each weapon provides class-specific skills for use in underwater. Players can also set different healing, utility, and elite skills for underwater combat. Skills which can’t be used underwater displays a crossed waterdrop in their descriptions.

Bolded the important part where you missed exactly what I said. Some elite skills are locked from selection underwater. You dont get “unique” underwater utility or elite skills. The only" underwater skills" you get are weapon skills.

Creating an entire map where a players choice of elite skills may infact be completely unusable is bad design and should be ignored as an option.

(edited by Lexandro.1456)

Karizee.8076

“A player’s skill bar changes when swimming and when entering underwater mode. While on the surface of a body of water, no skill slots are shown; a player has no skills to use but is still vulnerable to attack. Upon going underwater, a new skill bar is brought up as a player’s aquatic weapon is automatically equipped. Each weapon provides class-specific skills for use in underwater. Players can also set different healing, utility, and elite skills for underwater combat. Skills which can’t be used underwater displays a crossed waterdrop in their descriptions.

Bolded the important part where you missed exactly what I said. Some elite skills are locked from selection underwater. You dont get “unique” underwater utility or elite skills. The only" underwater skills" you get are weapon skills.

Creating a entire map where a players choice of elite skills may infact be completely unusable is bad design and should be ignored as an option.

Dang, I better stop using my Whirlpool then, eh?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Not all the elites. For example, elementalists have 4 regular elites and depending on race, 3 or 4 racial elites. Of all those, only one can be used underwater and that is a 30 point skill. Which means it will be highly unlikely you can get it at level 30. Which also means you can’t select them, you can only select it when you finally get enough skill points.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Lexandro.1456

I stand corrected. However my point is still valid, elites for classes are locked from selection underwater and some dont have replacements.

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

Creating a entire map where a players choice of elite skills may infact be completely unusable is bad design and should be ignored as an option.

My point was that most professions only have ONE underwater elite (cough necro), and things like traps, wells, +many others normal skills don’t work under water limiting a lot of builds and that’s unfair and boring (forced to use that one elite). I know how skills work and which skills are usable underwater. =.=

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I love underwater combat on my engineer but hate it on all the others. I am not opposed to an underwater map but something needs to be done about the underwater skills.
Maybe an option where we can choose our own skills, with more weapons and spesific underwater elites.
I think if we had a choice in the matter and can tailor it more to our characters it might be more popular.

Gunnar’s Hold

Karizee.8076

My point was that most professions only have ONE underwater elite (cough necro), and things like traps, wells, +many others normal skills don’t work under water limiting a lot of builds and that’s unfair and boring (forced to use that one elite). I know how skills work and which skills are usable underwater. =.=

That’s because your weapon changes when you are underwater. Your weapon is an integral part of your build.

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

I’d play it, but I’m an engineer and we own underwater.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Posted by: Nittles.1582

Nittles.1582

No. I main a guard. My on land build is a mildy tanky DPS role. If this were a normal MMO, I’d call myself an offtank. I cannot do my job properly underwater. My two weapon choices mean I can pick DPS or support. I find it very hard to do anything good underwater at all.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

I would. But then, I don’t really get why people hate underwater so much. Yes, certain skills don’t work underwater, but I see that as a challenge – and as a nice change of pace when I have to use some other skills (and therefore another build) for once
(Necro here, btw)

…you know, what with so many people complaining that PvE is faceroll-easy, I’d have thought they’d enjoy underwater some more.

Polka will never die

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

underwater combat is fun. Only issue i have is when mobs reset out of the blue.

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

I actually am looking forward to an underwater map. I love the underwater areas and find them to be a lot of fun.

The only issue that I hope they fix before releasing an underwater map, is the targeting system and mob resets. Once those are fixed, then I will be happy to swim my little Quaggan heart out in an underwater map.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

finishing off enemy players underwater can be ridiculously complicated. Retaining freedom of movement means enemies can just swim into mobs and rally off their deaths from the crossfire. Leaving them and hoping they bleedout wouldn’t even work as they could probably kill the mob themselves a few times.

Underwater combat is awful and unfun. I hope when the fire dragon busts out he makes himself useful and dries up all the lakes and oceans.

(edited by Chickenshoes.6250)

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

If it’s an underwater moon base, oh kitten yes! Well. I would not be averse to an underwater map so long as underwater combat was not the primary focus.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Would you play in an area that’s completely under water?

If not, what do you not like about under water combat?

Nope I don’t want a Vashjir in GW2, some classes underwater skills are not very good. Granted I love going in the water and the underwater combat. I’m just not happy with the skills that some of the classes have. For instance I love my necromancer, but I hate her underwater skills. I like my ranger, but I don’t really like her underwater skills. I think the guardian by far has the best underwater skills for trident and spear of all the classes. I like the skills my elementalist has. These are my reason I would not want a total underwater area.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

finishing off enemy players underwater can be ridiculously complicated. Retaining freedom of movement means enemies can just swim into mobs and rally off their deaths from the crossfire. Leaving them and hoping they bleedout wouldn’t even work as they could probably kill the mob themselves a few times.

Underwater combat is awful and unfun. I hope when the fire dragon busts out he makes himself useful and dries up all the lakes and oceans.

Oh really? When that happens I hope Anet gives the thirst debuff, if you don’t quench it your toon dies.. And it will only be quench from a lake.. Good luck finding water. Just because you find it unfun and awful there is someone else that doesn’t.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Na, dont find underwater combat in this game very good. It was fun in the Cataclysm expansion of WoW since they made it pretty good, but the GW2 system is sadly not good enough. Probably the only part of WoW that actually beats GW2 in my opinion, I had a blast in the underwater zone, escpecially on a pvp server.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: Puru.4217

Puru.4217

I would definitly, even in pvp.

But if i was Anet i’d first make every single utility/elite skills have an underwater version and some weapon/downed state balancing.

It’s not my fault if S/P is not popular !!!

Posted by: Anchorwind.9016

Anchorwind.9016

I’m a Primarily PvE Player. I enjoy Underwater Combat quite a bit with my Mesmer. Less so with my Guardian and Warrior and not every much with my Thief. As such, “Would I Play There?” Would depend largely on if the area was worth playing, as there are other underwater areas [not entire maps, just areas] already.

Implement a Story-Rich, Level 80 Map with decent rewards and no reliance on gimmicks [buckets of hp, etc] and I’m there!

Posted by: Mala.3861

Mala.3861

Underwater Zone, pass a kidney stone, drug-free root canal… Why would anyone endure those by choice????

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

Attach this water map to Southsun Cove, so you could keep them out of the way of the rest of the game =D

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

No! Ugh, just no. Underwater combat and underwater areas are not fun and do not ad any dimension of fun to the game.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I do want tons of more underwater content, but it does need improved to go with it. Every utility/heal/elite needs a version of itself underwater. Pretty much every Thief skill is unusable except a few, most of which are for venom builds. How does that make sense anyways? How do you coat your weapons in venom underwater? No stealth other than heal too.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Yes I would play in an underwater map. So far out of my 5 classes that I have played 4 of them are pretty decent underwater I could even say they are good. The other one is not too shabby either. I think most people just need to learn what skills works best for them underwater and make sure to keep their weapons/mask up to date.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They would need to rework a number of skills to become useable underwater. More elite skills for example made usable. Why can’t the ele use the elite where you summon an elemental? Necros can summon their elite minion. Ranger traps could be made useful by making them a sphere around you for example. By reworking skills so they are at least useable underwater would make combat there more appealing.

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

I’d like to see underwater combat worked on. In my opinion, it can be decent fun, but its also a pain when lots of utilities and elites, among other things are locked out. I’ll speak just from my Guardian’s point of view. Symbols are essentially gone, as neither weapon has a symbol, and there’s a lot you can build towards symbol wise, thereby effectively wasting your traits (switching traits might not be enough, and however large or small, adds to the tedium of jumping in and out of water). All my ground targeted utilities are gone, like my beloved wall of reflection, or for others that might run other consecrations etc. Not to mention, like many other profs, my only elite skill choice is Renewed Focus, and though I run with it normally on land, if I had wanted to pop out a Tome, I can no longer do so. Now, should underwater combat be changed so I can take advantage of symbols, and at least have shadows of the former skills usable beneath the waves, I’d gladly make my first legendary the spear, for my namesake.

Speaking of which, when seriously considering a legendary to craft, I don’t see much of any point in getting an underwater legendary in the current game. There aren’t enough areas or incentives to “pay that high of a tax” as what takes a legendary to craft, and to fulfill its purpose, which is to be your golden bag of swag.

(Also, maybe later on, there could be some Aion form of flying in certain areas, as a direct relation to underwater, and the underwater aspects would be reflavored for a 3d space. Potentially, it could “double” the presence of the underwater aspect, and give it a new theme on top. I’d settle with just a better integration of the underwater part into the current state of things, but this could be a fresh take.)

Fishsticks

Posted by: Torqueblue.1945

Torqueblue.1945

Sure,why not. Honestly, I hope there’s gonna be something like that. Wouldn’t mind an entire map of underwater with a touch of Land spots for PvE and PvP. However, like some have stated, Some fine Tuning is required for water combat to be “good enough” for some class. That and it give me a reason to have the Lake Hylia Theme song from Zelda Twilight Princess playing in the background. kitten good underwater music.

Scotch and Pills, what could possibly go wrong? – Max Payne

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Underwater combat is just not fun. It isn’t, I avoid underwater the max I can, I guess it’s because the limited number of weaps and skills underwater, it’s just not expanded.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Sparky Sights.9174

Sparky Sights.9174

Not until its been refined.

Posted by: MikeRocks.9243

MikeRocks.9243

I’d play it, but I’m an engineer and we own underwater.

This. I only do pure underwater sections with my Engineer, ‘cause it’s actually semi-enjoyable on him.

In all seriousness, though, this might actually become a thing in the future, especially if they ever decide to make Largos a playable race. There could be an entire starting zone that’s entirely underwater.

The Long Road
Goal: To have one character of every race, gender, and armor class combination at level 80.
Current progress: Human 4/6 | Charr 1/6 | Norn 1/6 | Sylvari 1/6 | Asura 1/6 | Total: 8/30

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Yes i love underwater combat playing in the 3d is fun make makes for fun tricks. Its just humans cant think in the 3d they are more like 2d and 1/2 so its a bit harder for them to get there minds arone combat in water. Also a lot of water is very open so it seems as if your moving slower then you realty are because humans make judgments of speed and size base off an comparison to something else so if your not near any thing you cant tell how fast your realty moving or how far you are going.

Now i would love to see some ground target ability become more of a 3d placement or at least target you if there is nothing else to be targeted or to be able to target it on some one and/or a mob.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Yes, I would. Underwater areas are by far the most immersive places to explore. It feels like you go into another world, next to the world you explore on land. I’d like to see an underwater area being so deep, it would take you several minutes to get all the way to the bottom.

The only thing I don’t like about being under water, is the combat. Dodging just doesn’t feel as good as it does on land, and it’s very hard to see the distance to your foe, which is especially annoying in melee combat.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

I abhor underwater fighting in this game.

Don’t like it whatsoever.

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

My build that I spent the past few months getting the ascended gear specifically for doesn’t even work underwater.

Most of my traits don’t matter down there, I’m forced to have a different elite skill (and skills in general), cross-combos are harder to pull off, the effects make it very difficult to see what the enemy is ever doing so smart play over button-mashing is almost impossible, and enemies leash entirely too far.

All of this combined makes underwater combat feel like a chore.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Posted by: Orissa.1872

Orissa.1872

All about PvE

1. Enemies
    They’re pig disgusting, have really strong control skills. Zombies are much more painful than regular ones. Also this condition spam, from all inquest, krait, undead…
  2. Utility skills
    Instead of being inaccessible they should better get an underwater version
  3. Traits
    It should be possible to have a set of land and underwater major traits, so we don’t have to switch them manually upon changing enviroment
  4. Targeting system
    It’s pretty much broken in this game, but we can deal with it in 2D enviroment. In 3D depths it becomes even more difficult to keep attacking proper targets
  5. Groundcast
    3D enviroment is just ruining our precision in skill placement. And all this double-tapping and kitten…

(edited by Orissa.1872)

Posted by: BadHabitZz.1856

BadHabitZz.1856

No, underwater combat is slow, boring and i cant use most of my utility skills and almost none of my traits are giving me any benefits underwater….

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I’d play it. I love underwater exploration, and the underwater settings are really beautiful and well done.

That said, underwater combat needs some work for it to happen. First thing I’d do to it is to add some underwater only skills and elites (just like most elites are ground only), and make it so that you can have different traits underwater than in the ground, switching them automatically as you enter into the water (like you do with weapons and skills already) and make new underwater traits.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I love underwater combat on warrior, necromancer, ranger and thief. I’m OK with it on guardian, engineer (only because grenades are not stupid kitten ground-targeted) or mesmer. I hate it on elementalist.

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

I for one enjoy underwater combat on my necromancer, elementalist and warrior. Haven’t played any other professions far enough to really get a feel for what they’re like underwater, however.

I actually enjoy having a 3rd dimension of movement; it feels like it adds another level of depth to positioning. A lot of the underwater skill sets are actually fun to use, as well. It’s a different experience that stops the land combat from getting too stale.

It has a few issues, admittedly – every profession has a fixed weapon set that can’t be changed except for using two of a single weapon type, some utility and elite skills are entirely unusable underwater. Traits being useless is… arguable. If we had a map that was entirely underwater, decent players would start traiting to suit their underwater combat before going there. Some classes even have bonuses to underwater weapons from their regular traits – warrior’s Greatsword traits also work for Spears, and their Rifle traits also work for Harpoon Guns, for example. The Sonic Boon build functions effectively in water and on land… warriors get pretty lucky there.

Having a fully underwater WvW zone would probably lead to some players eventually crafting builds purely for underwater combat, other players would find those builds, get used to them, and get better at underwater combat in general.

But as to whether such a zone should exist…

In PvE, a fully underwater zone would be fine even right now. Lack of diversity would limit the lifespan of that zone on a per-player basis, though.

In WvW or PvP, the game definitely needs more diversity to underwater combat – new weapons, a full set of utilities/elites, possibly new traits specific to being underwater. As it is now, you can tell just by a character’s profession what weapons they have equipped, and the limited elites and utilities make people easy to predict as well.

Until that’s sorted a WvW/PvP underwater map probably wouldn’t work too well.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

A.Net would need to do a massive amount of work on underwater combat before something like this would fly.

Many of their underwater weapons are garbage (and you don’t exactly have a lot of options here), so many utility skills are locked out, balance is all over the place; the underwater portion of their game feels like a game in early beta.

If they fixed that and brought the underwater part of their game up to par? Sure, it’d be a cool change of pace.

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

Na, dont find underwater combat in this game very good. It was fun in the Cataclysm expansion of WoW since they made it pretty good, but the GW2 system is sadly not good enough. Probably the only part of WoW that actually beats GW2 in my opinion, I had a blast in the underwater zone, escpecially on a pvp server.

bring it on, I got thirst slayer