Would you reccommend GW2 to a friend?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

Any game has gear. On this game the difference between the gear is so small that I perform as well on greens as I do on exotics. …

Does your skill go up when you are in worse gear to account for the loss of stats or something?

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Any game has gear. On this game the difference between the gear is so small that I perform as well on greens as I do on exotics. …

Does your skill go up when you are in worse gear to account for the loss of stats or something?

nope, but you don’t need it. You can kill people in WvW being in worse gear than them, you can run dungeons with worse gear and you can clear areas with worse gear. Very little people actually geared with with exotic. The truth is that the difference between the gear is so low that you can compensate it with dodges. My bf did not even want to bother for going for exotic weapons at first and I’m still wearing level 20 jewelry. It does not make me perform any worse.

NaughtyProwler.8653

nope, but you don’t need it. You can kill people in WvW being in worse gear than them, you can run dungeons with worse gear and you can clear areas with worse gear. Very little people actually geared with with exotic. The truth is that the difference between the gear is so low that you can compensate it with dodges. My bf did not even want to bother for going for exotic weapons at first and I’m still wearing level 20 jewelry. It does not make me perform any worse.

Of course you can fight in terrible gear. That doesn’t make it ideal.

Mirta.5029

in WvW as a level 40 with upped level you can defeat level 80. While you can’t stand a chance at level 1, the fact that you do stand at level 40 with level 40 gear shows how little impact gear has.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

people calling this a buggy mess must be very new to MMO’s …

I think back to the first few months of Everquest 1, and 2.. DOAC, WoW, Lineage2, AoC, Vanguard, WAR… this launch has been remarkably solid and bug free.

Lol I remember AoC launch, game was pretty much unfinished completely after the starting zones. And now it’s F2P

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

Too steep a gear grind to compete in WvWvW. I’d recommend dark age of Camelot for them, instead.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

I love all the people that have quit even before testing what came with the Lost Shores patch.

Those people remind of the cardboard doomsday proclaimers sitting ontop of bus stops all over the word. Is that the right word, doomsday proclaimer? Or should it be religious bums?

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

NaughtyProwler.8653

in WvW as a level 40 with upped level you can defeat level 80. While you can’t stand a chance at level 1, the fact that you do stand at level 40 with level 40 gear shows how little impact gear has.

Gear makes quite an impact, I’m sorry to say. But I guess you can believe what you want. Thread has been derailed enough.

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

20-50% higher stats per piece of gear definitely makes a big impact.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

For a huge program that does a few things really differently from other games, GW2’s rollout has been pretty smooth I think. Bugs galore naturally, but 90% of the content is playable and even fun to play. They’ve even had 1 really fun event (and one stinker, oh well). After the AMA where they admitted the Ascended rollout was done very badly, I don’t see anything I think won’t be fixed.

People keep forgetting that if they don’t want to play, they don’t have to. No sub. You can leave and come back in a few months, no problem. You can do something else in the game, or play a different game, if you’re feeling frustrated, then come back when you want to.

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

Can we stop pretending like subscribing to a game means you’re forced to play? I’ve played a handful of subscription based MMOs (and in fact, during my stays at Champions Online I subscribe even though the game is mostly true f2p), and never felt like I was forced to play when I didn’t want to. Nor have I ever felt that if I unsub, I can never ever come back. GW2 is not the only game you can decide to stop playing and come back another time. I’m not aware of any MMO that deletes your account if you cancel a subscription to take a break for a few months, so please let’s stop pretending the GW2 is an exception in that regard. Sure, it doesn’t have a subscription, but a lot of MMOs don’t have subscriptions. In fact, a lot of MMOs don’t even have a $60 purchase requirement. So the “you don’t have to play” isn’t some unique feature GW2 offers. Let’s stop talking about it like it is.

Posted by: kakipukul.4732

kakipukul.4732

Nope cos Tyria land is dead.
Everyone else grinding in dungeons or chilling out at Lion Arc lol.

Mirta.5029

Can we stop pretending like subscribing to a game means you’re forced to play? I’ve played a handful of subscription based MMOs (and in fact, during my stays at Champions Online I subscribe even though the game is mostly true f2p), and never felt like I was forced to play when I didn’t want to. Nor have I ever felt that if I unsub, I can never ever come back. GW2 is not the only game you can decide to stop playing and come back another time. I’m not aware of any MMO that deletes your account if you cancel a subscription to take a break for a few months, so please let’s stop pretending the GW2 is an exception in that regard. Sure, it doesn’t have a subscription, but a lot of MMOs don’t have subscriptions. In fact, a lot of MMOs don’t even have a $60 purchase requirement. So the “you don’t have to play” isn’t some unique feature GW2 offers. Let’s stop talking about it like it is.

well when I was on WoW every time I would buy a month worth of subscription I would feel like I have to play WoW daily to get my moneys worth. While a lot of games don’t have a subscription, there’s still plenty of MMOs that are coming out with monthly subscription. Example – that new EA MMO.

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

No I wouldn’t. In fact I was going to gift this game to my son for Christmas but have decided against it. Having not played since loot got nerfed just after the Karka event I have lost interest in the game. There are far better progression games out there. The draw for me (other than GW1) was that it could be played casually. It can’t, it is a grind game. There are also better grinders out there if that’s your thing.

Posted by: Nottix.7864

Nottix.7864

I did before. The game started off great. As of the last couple of weeks I wouldn’t. A lot of the people I played with moved on to other games already, or went back to their old one. I’m strongly thinking of doing the same. If GW2 wasn’t free to play, I would definitely of been gone already.

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

Yes I would recommend Guild Wars 2 to my friends. I’ve already convinced two of them to start playing and will be trying to convince some of my oldest gamer friends to start soon too.

At first I was wary of the new tier and asked my questions which have been answered by Anet. Ascended gear is directly related to the new condition mechanic. You don’t need it to play the regular game and to be honest my ingame friends who have already gone deep into fractals say that they un-equip their Ascended for WvW and regular PvE because it isn’t as good as their fully customised exotics. To be honest I can see their point.

Fractals is fun! It’s hugely profitable, and so what if you need to get a new ring at level 10 to deal with the new agony condition?

Posted by: Anesthesia.2475

Anesthesia.2475

Not only would I recommend it, I am buying 2 copies of it for my friends for the holidays.

Posted by: Fiasco.3501

Fiasco.3501

Yes I would. You get more than $60 worth of fun compared to other games. Plus, you can always come back to it so why not?

Besides, GW2 is the best MMORPG out right now IMHO. Everything else just bores me to death.

Posted by: kaboo.5194

kaboo.5194

i dont know, the game is lacking something. its a great game, i had a lot of fun the first month but after that i couldnt and still cant play the game. anytime i start it i look at the char screen for a while, then login, rotate camera a few minutes and i close the game. and i have no idea why, i didnt even finish anything (~60% map, 61 pve lvl, 8-10 pvp lvl). i believe its great game and sometimes i really want to play it, but the feeling fades as soon as i start it. but it might be just me, so i guess i would recommend it – its still just one time 60$ for a game with ongoing development/improvement.

(edited by kaboo.5194)

Posted by: teviko.6049

teviko.6049

people calling this a buggy mess must be very new to MMO’s …

I think back to the first few months of Everquest 1, and 2.. DOAC, WoW, Lineage2, AoC, Vanguard, WAR… this launch has been remarkably solid and bug free.

Lol I remember AoC launch, game was pretty much unfinished completely after the starting zones. And now it’s F2P

Yes, and now Funcom is selling off their assests.

F2P worked well, don’t you think?

Posted by: cinemapaula.8673

cinemapaula.8673

I would have. Now I wouldn’t. I LOVED GW1, and LOVED GW2. But, since hitting 80, and now Fractals, there is little to do for the casual player. God forbid you get ‘behind’ on Fractals – everyone who plays is ahead and the majority won’t downscale for a lower level. Mapchat is nothing but LFG spam. Orr is dead. Doing a new character is nothing but hairpulling repitition – if I have someone new come, I have to do the same crap over, and over…. again. I can’t reply the great story missions.

SO many reasons to love this game, all of which are kind of being pummeled and buried by the things Ive found to NOT love it.

I was GW2’s biggest fan, but as of late, Im finding myself not even logging on as much.
Log on?
For what?

Go to Orr with my level 80? Heck, everyone is spamming LA for Fractals – no WP even uncontested to GET there.

Go to the new island? Where there is nothing but Drakes and Karka and the drops pretty much suck? And why? To run around with no real mission or purpose HOPING maybe something NON-blue will drop? Naw.

Play my Mesmer I started first? I won’t even GO there. XD Its like trying to kill an enemy with a pillow. You beat them up until they die of boredom.

Start another character? And repeat everything I did before? Exactly as it was since story missions are few and far between in the grand scheme of leveling?

Sigh… Im bummed. I want to love the game again, and be excited to play.
Im not even amped about Wintersday since I already KNOW everything thats truly fun and desirable will be cash shop only, and the gem exchange rate is brutally horrible right now.

Oh well…. I can’t recommend it at this point. I hope I can in the near future.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

I would recommend it, with the caveat that it’s a new MMO and has new MMO issues. But still a lot of fun for $60.

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

If its the type of friend that likes loot grind WoW or rift does it better than this. Or borderlands/torchlight if they aren’t into MMO’s.

If they are after PvP I would recommend EVE or to stay away from the MMO genre until CCP releases their new MMO because they seem to be the only well funded MMO company not making PvE MMOs.

If they are after epic story telling, bioware is still king imo.

So in short, no. This game is a jack of all trades that doesn’t do anything particularly well and that is something very hard to recommend to anybody.

Posted by: Fritz.5026

Fritz.5026

I would not recommend the game to anyone.

The reality is the game is visually pleasing, but it is trying to be a pve game while lacking the depth of gameplay that pve mmo games have.

combat is extremely simplistic for a pve game. in a pve game i expect multiple bars of abilities and situational skills. in a pve game i expect there to be roles such as tank, healer, and crowd control. in a pve game i expect frills like mounts and mini-games. in a pve game i expect raids with epic pve battles. in a pve game i expect multiple end game dungeons and raids.

as far as gameplay goes gw2 is not up to par with modern pve mmo games outside of the graphics.

if the game was PVP focused with a balanced end game of large scale pvp battles, like what i was expecting to receive when i purchased the game, i would say its brilliant.

however that is not the direction the developers decided to go.

at the end of the day i feel like i am the victim of a bait and switch scam and i just wasted 60$.

its not much money and its not going to change my world at all, but i could not turn around and recommend this to friends.

Posted by: Aioros.4862

Aioros.4862

I would not recommend GW2 to a friend who plays casualy, due to the massive grind nature of the game.
And if you are a casual and your game is about wvw, you’ll be eventually be cannon fodder to grinders with maxed gear.
So i wouldn’t recomend the game to casuals, since it is not casual friendly.

To people who would not mind grinding, i would recomend the game (i do think the game is visualy great, the playability too, over all lots of fun), unfortunally the ones i know left the game before reaching level 80, when MoP launched (their loss).

(edited by Aioros.4862)

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

To an enemy? Sure. They’d waste $60 on a so-called MMO without multiplayer.

To a friend? Well what kind of friend would I be to do that?

User will be infracted for this post.

Mirta.5029

If its the type of friend that likes loot grind WoW or rift does it better than this. Or borderlands/torchlight if they aren’t into MMO’s.

If they are after PvP I would recommend EVE or to stay away from the MMO genre until CCP releases their new MMO because they seem to be the only well funded MMO company not making PvE MMOs.

If they are after epic story telling, bioware is still king imo.

So in short, no. This game is a jack of all trades that doesn’t do anything particularly well and that is something very hard to recommend to anybody.

Bioware… Mass Effect 3… Never buying a single product from them anymore. They’re a fail company now, not a great storyteller.

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

I’m level 80 with full exotics.

I’ve never once been defeated by an up-scaled enemy with inferior gear. A lvl 40 in lvl 40 gear is a free kill for me.

Gear makes a world of difference. Not sure how you drew your conclusion…

Mirta.5029

I’ve never once been defeated by an up-scaled enemy with inferior gear. A lvl 40 in lvl 40 gear is a free kill for me.

because I KILLED actual level 80s when I entered WvW for the first time? I leveled there from level 40 to 60. It was fun. I got lots of kills on people. Now I have exotics myself and die as much as I did before. Are you playing a warrior by any chance?

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

because I KILLED actual level 80s when I entered WvW for the first time? I leveled there from level 40 to 60. It was fun. I got lots of kills on people. Now I have exotics myself and die as much as I did before. Are you playing a warrior by any chance?

No I main a thief. (Don’t hate, I don’t use the BS build)

Just last night I won a 1v4 in WvW. 3 of them were up-scaled and it’s the only reason I chose to engage them. 2 of them were squishy as hell and went down in my initial daggerstorm attack. If they were at least the appropriate level with max gear, I doubt the outcome would’ve turned out the same. That’s all I’m saying, gear has a fairly large impact.

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

If they are after PvP I would recommend EVE

No, you won’t recommend that boring kitten game to anyone. I played for three years before giving my character, RiskyFrisky, away. He’s now in nullsec with a terrible pilot having his track record destroyed.

I flew with Suddenly Ninjas, Brick Squad and The Skunkworks for the more noteworthy corporations and as proof that I did play.

I helped SN blow up Chribba, the master of Veldspar, etc. etc. etc.

I would never recommend EVE to anyone. Why? Because the game is too slow. You can’t hop in and expect anything. PvP is all but ruined in highsec and nullsec/lowsec are just crap.

Never in your life should you ever recommend EVE to players. Let them find EVE themselves if they are looking for something like that.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

Mirta.5029

No I main a thief. (Don’t hate, I don’t use the BS build)

Just last night I won a 1v4 in WvW. 3 of them were up-scaled and it’s the only reason I chose to engage them. 2 of them were squishy as hell and went down in my initial daggerstorm attack. If they were at least the appropriate level with max gear, I doubt the outcome would’ve turned out the same. That’s all I’m saying, gear has a fairly large impact.

except that people with good builds without the gear can still get kills. I was a squishy elementalist when I leveled. And not the immortal water build either.

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

If the game ever leaves beta……yea, maybe.

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

If they didn’t get to enjoy the game when it was alive and well, it’s too late now. It would just be awkward trying to ‘sell’ this game to a friend now.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

If they are after PvP I would recommend EVE

No, you won’t recommend that boring kitten game to anyone. I played for three years before giving my character, RiskyFrisky, away. He’s now in nullsec with a terrible pilot having his track record destroyed.

I flew with Suddenly Ninjas, Brick Squad and The Skunkworks for the more noteworthy corporations and as proof that I did play.

I helped SN blow up Chribba, the master of Veldspar, etc. etc. etc.

I would never recommend EVE to anyone. Why? Because the game is too slow. You can’t hop in and expect anything. PvP is all but ruined in highsec and nullsec/lowsec are just crap.

Never in your life should you ever recommend EVE to players. Let them find EVE themselves if they are looking for something like that.

I agree, its not my cup of tea either, but it has better pvp than this.

I played EVE for about 2 years before I got bored for the same reasons.

I played GW2 for about 3 months because I got bored for the same reasons.

I wouldn’t recommend EVE because its a great game, but because literally its the only modern passable PvP MMO.

Posted by: Kurakura.7281

Kurakura.7281

I did try to sell the game back in the days of BWE1. When BWE2 and BWE3 started rolling around, I no longer tried. With release, I only have contempt for the game.