Would you work for free ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

If you say no then why do you want a portal key so much
that’s what closed beta is work for free to find the bugs and glitches and any other errors
for the developers to help them out it’s not a play HOT early for fun ! like every one seem to think it is . i hope they get kicked out of beta for not /bugging stuff

And on that note i will prob DELETE the portal if i got it since i don’t like working for free
and can wait for the expansion

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

A chance to get into the Beta Test of a game is not working for free. It’s playing a game before it’s released, without having to pay for the moment of the game you’re currently playing!

Let’s not go calling The United Nations just yet!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

(edited by penelopehannibal.8947)

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I didn’t have to work much for it and don’t consider trying out new content for fun work.

As for the portal, I just did vinewrath 3 times and then got it off a hyena.

gg.

Posted by: Snuggles.9875

Snuggles.9875

Yep. I work for free all the time and like to help others IRL. I don’t feel as if getting into beta would be work, but I definitely would like to get some insight into the expansion before it is released. From what I heard it is fairly polished already. I definitely wouldn’t consider playing any video game WORK.

Posted by: Dolphin.2574

Dolphin.2574

vol·un·teer

noun: volunteer; plural noun: volunteers
1. a person who freely offers to take part in an enterprise or undertake a task.

verb: volunteer; 3rd person present: volunteers; past tense: volunteered; past participle: volunteered; gerund or present participle: volunteering

1. freely offer to do something.

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

I think of it as more of a trade. They’ll let us sneak a peek at new content, and in turn, we report bugs for them. It’s a win-win

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

If you say no then why do you want a portal key so much
that’s what closed beta is work for free to find the bugs and glitches and any other errors
for the developers to help them out it’s not a play HOT early for fun ! like every one seem to think it is . i hope they get kicked out of beta for not /bugging stuff

And on that note i will prob DELETE the portal if i got it since i don’t like working for free
and can wait for the expansion

Deleting the portal doesnt exclude you from the beta.

Even bug testers should have fun with the game they’re playing.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Work for free? No, absolutely not.

Volunteer to help out with something I’m passionate about? Yes, most definitely.

A gamer volunteering to help with an expansion’s beta testing is no different than someone passionate about animals volunteering at their local shelter or humane society.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

As a Beta tester for my company I very much consider testing fun. I enjoy being able to find flaws in the system so that it can be patched before being released to the public.

I consider it a service I offer so that those who come after me receive a more superior product.

I guess it all comes down to how much sacrifice you are willing to tolerate to help out your fellow wo/man.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

It’s still doing something for free that is an actual job that some people get paid to do.

If you enjoy beta testing, then great. But don’t act like it’s anything more than that. You’re not winning the lottery, it’s literally just an opportunity to do free labor for ANet that you might enjoy.

That’s why it’s so kitten frustrating seeing all this whining about not getting a portal… like, think for a second about why you’re so excited about beta testing. Why is that exciting at all? It’s not! But game developers have spent years perfecting their presentation of beta testing to make fans inexplicably infatuated with it, so they can get free testing from them. What’s the first thing you think about when ANet says “HoT Beta?” If what you’re envisioning is not a few hours of testing specific things / doing nothing beneficial to you while getting a slight sneak-peek of the expansion, you’ve been duped. It’s not going to blow your mind, nor will it be anywhere near ‘awesome.’. It’s a job, that someone could have been paid to do, and you’re doing it for free, because you think it’s going to be fun, probably more than it actually is.

Now, would I throw away a beta portal? No way! I do want to see what’s going on, and a few hours is a pretty small commitment. But kitten ed if I’m gonna throw a fit if I don’t have that opportunity.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Posted by: Tacit Ronin.2097

Tacit Ronin.2097

You call it a beta test, I call it a preview of upcoming changes and a chance to play with new skills/profession.

I haven’t got a portal yet, and I’m not too worried if my 1 hour or so a day of looking doesn’t get me one, but if I do get in, I’ll report any bugs if I come across them, but I’m not going to actively look for them. I’m just gonna play with the new features.

That’s the difference between me and a professional beta tester.

…Although if Anet does want to pay me, I’d be more than happy to work as a professional beta tester

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I already have worked for free, many times.

It’s not as bad as it’s made out to be. Most of the time it’s by choice, such as this choice for the Beta invite.

Honestly, money aside i’ve had more fun hosting/moderating, working volunteer status backend for games than I ever had being a porter at a bowling alley or a contracted network analyst.

(edited by TexZero.7910)

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

The first beta was pretty boring, so I just didn’t bother trying to get a key for the second one. I kind of feel like it’s a waste of time playing with things that aren’t set in stone like skills and traits or won’t be saved for me.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: edgarallanpwn.8739

edgarallanpwn.8739

It’s still doing something for free that is an actual job that some people get paid to do.

If you enjoy beta testing, then great. But don’t act like it’s anything more than that. You’re not winning the lottery, it’s literally just an opportunity to do free labor for ANet that you might enjoy.

That’s why it’s so kitten frustrating seeing all this whining about not getting a portal… like, think for a second about why you’re so excited about beta testing. Why is that exciting at all? It’s not! But game developers have spent years perfecting their presentation of beta testing to make fans inexplicably infatuated with it, so they can get free testing from them. What’s the first thing you think about when ANet says “HoT Beta?” If what you’re envisioning is not a few hours of testing specific things / doing nothing beneficial to you while getting a slight sneak-peek of the expansion, you’ve been duped. It’s not going to blow your mind, nor will it be anywhere near ‘awesome.’. It’s a job, that someone could have been paid to do, and you’re doing it for free, because you think it’s going to be fun, probably more than it actually is.

Now, would I throw away a beta portal? No way! I do want to see what’s going on, and a few hours is a pretty small commitment. But kitten ed if I’m gonna throw a fit if I don’t have that opportunity.

Fun is subjective. I have fun alpha testing games sometimes. I often have to take breaks though, or be careful because after a certain extent, it can ruin my idea of the game, and cause me to not enjoy it so much later.

Starbound was a key example. I really enjoyed testing it, i dumped like 130hours in the first week and reported all the bugs and stuff, but, over a year and a half later, its still being worked on. the games changed so much, but my love for it went out the window until its finished because i can only replay content too much.

Other games i played alphas extensively, and those games are close to being released and i don’t enjoy it any less now. I love being one of those players who can help control where a game goes, and what needs to be fixed, and what’s unbalanced, etc.