WouldGW2 be more successful with HolyTrinity?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

Guess it is my turn to squish the bug…

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

You don’t kill WoW by being more like WoW.

And it’s not about killing WoW in the first place, but making the best game possible.

There’s more work to be done, but so far I think ArenaNet is doing a pretty good job. Dare I say it?

“Wow.”

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: AIex.4105

AIex.4105

Main reason I dont play and I wont bother with the expansion is the fact the game is becoming extreamly boring and I realy miss healer,tank,dps roles. In gw2 all classes are dps even guardian and for me wvw and pvp is to boring since it dosent require organized team to be succesfull just run after comander or similar crap.

I realy miss those games with Priest,archer,etc classes, gw2 is just too boring for me, unfortunatly all those games are pay2win.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Would the game be more successful with the trinity? No one knows. Anet must increase revenue which is why we’re getting an expansion so they’re in a position where trying new things is necessary. The game is losing income month to month so whether or not you as a player would prefer a trinity isn’t the question. The real question is would the game generate more revenue by attracting more players with healers and tanks.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: abbetd.5912

abbetd.5912

Would the game be more successful with the trinity? No one knows. Anet must increase revenue which is why we’re getting an expansion so they’re in a position where trying new things is necessary. The game is losing income month to month so whether or not you as a player would prefer a trinity isn’t the question. The real question is would the game generate more revenue by attracting more players with healers and tanks.

While simultaneously driving away a large number of current players, don’t forget.

Aidenwolf.5964

While simultaneously driving away a large number of current players, don’t forget.

Perhaps, but they’ve already got our money. Business despises anything but growth and new players bring new money.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: TheMaskedGamer.5708

TheMaskedGamer.5708

Its a pretty stupid comment IMO because the game would be unrecognisable if it had a trinity.

All of the class skills, traits, and play styles would be different. And the combat that he says is the best wouldn’t exist either.

His statement contradicts itself.

That is not true, the only thing that remove holy trinity is downed state and no taunt. If gw2 had no downed state, there would be healer, if gw2 had taunt there would be tank. GW2 is not that far away from holy trinity.

You do realize that Taunt IS being added to the game right?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Its a pretty stupid comment IMO because the game would be unrecognisable if it had a trinity.

All of the class skills, traits, and play styles would be different. And the combat that he says is the best wouldn’t exist either.

That is not true, the only thing that remove holy trinity is downed state and no taunt. If gw2 had no downed state, there would be healer, if gw2 had taunt there would be tank. GW2 is not that far away from holy trinity.

They call it taunt but it doesnt seem to fulfill the purpose of of traditional tanking taunt as seen in trinity based MMOs. I may be mistaken but it seems more another CC ability than threat management.

Perhaps, but they’ve already got our money. Business despises anything but growth and new players bring new money.

How do box sales compare to gem purchases ?

They may already have our box money, but they are still getting some of our money anyway.

Aidenwolf.5964

They call it taunt but it doesnt seem to fulfill the purpose of of traditional tanking taunt as seen in trinity based MMOs. I may be mistaken but it seems more another CC ability than threat management.

How do box sales compare to gem purchases ?

They may already have our box money, but they are still getting some of our money anyway.

The money is decreasing that’s why the focus went from LS to expansion

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The money is decreasing that’s why the focus went from LS to expansion

Yeah, income may be decreasing but that doesn’t mean that box sales are as important, more important, or less important than gem purchases.

That new player’s box purchase, perhaps at 75% off retail, may not offset a veteran player’s gem purchases.

Posted by: Kedarrian.2905

Kedarrian.2905

I would say GW2’s appeal is that it is a tier-1 MMO with no monthly fee attached. Anet have generally done a lot of things well with the game while many rival MMO’s have dropped the ball in different ways. At least that’s what i understand people say of them.

I don’t think GW2’s success is based upon it’s flagship fearures, i.e. the lack of Trinity or the Living Story. And i would suspect that if it did have Trinity, it would have a larger number of people playing it than it does now. And that the majority of the current playerbase would still be here.

Posted by: Leonhardt.8164

Leonhardt.8164

I personally do not like the ‘’Holy Trinity’’ system, it was enjoyable at a time (8 year WoW player) but I am very tired of it, I came to guild wars 2 LOVING the fact that holy trinity is NOT a thing, and I really love it, please dont bring this in

Posted by: Tyreal.5230

Tyreal.5230

why is this still coming up as a topic…

Guild: guildless
Elementalist: Sheva Alamarr
Guardian: Stella Alamarr

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

It is really simple. If you like the current skill based combat system (i.e. mobility, dodges, etc.) then you should be against Trinity since it completely breaks this system (when it becomes required).
Trinity:

• Makes roles rigid.
  • Makes gameplay stagnant, you can only do one thing at a time.
  • Makes team cohesion more fragile. People will blame each other for deaths rather than themselves.
  • Makes stats more important. This just compounds most other problems.
  • Makes skill (active defense) less relevant.
  • Devalues movement (same reason as active defense). Why heal when you can move away from attack? If you can’t move away from attack then why move?
  • Because of AOE range it incentivizes stacking more than zerker do since now you need to stack to survive (heals) as well as cleaves and to kill faster.
  • Mandates gear the same way zerker is now currently.

Trinity does not:

• Fix conditions in PVE. This is a technical issue and would remain a technical issue even with dedicated required roles. Conditions may work little better if less people can inflict them but still in group play they will be as broken.
  • Make combat harder. The difficulty of encounters is a problem of mechanics, AI, and our optimized strategies and practice. Combat may even be easier with trinity since you as an individual only have one concern.
  • Create Diversity. It limits its more than anything else (reasons listed above). Professions
  • Makes teamwork better. It forces teamwork since people become dependent on each other. This is brute forced so will not work always be desirable. Currently you can get by if your team works but with Trinity you are as good as your weakest link. You can’t be the sole survivor who heroically completes the encounter.

(edited by KngGilgamesh.3481)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Not everyone participated in the other threads covering the same ideas. It will keep coming up as new players join and a subset of the veterans get bored with the status quo.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

This topic will continue to come up while players still don’t understand the basic mechanics of the game. Ignorance is a bad thing.

As long as players continue with their “there is only one role”, as long as they can’t distinguish between a gear type and a build (build != gear) and as long they can’t understand how Support and Control works in the game, we will get post like this one.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

This topic will continue to come up while players still don’t understand the basic mechanics of the game. Ignorance is a bad thing.

As long as players continue with their “there is only one role”, as long as they can’t distinguish between a gear type and a build (build != gear) and as long they can’t understand how Support and Control works in the game, we will get post like this one.

Are you saying that stats are not main part of the build? There are so many different stat sets , but everyone use zerker, so there s problem.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Are you saying that stats are not main part of the build? There are so many different stat sets , but everyone use zerker, so there s problem.

First: not everyone is using zerker, it’s overused in dungeons mostly, and that’s because they’ve been the same for 2.5 years, meaning everyone knows the encounters so well they can do them in their sleep. In the big open world bosses Berserker is not even optimal (Teq and Wurm)
Second: even those who do use it can Support and Control just fine, so they can play the role they want regardless of gear. And before you say “I can’t play Healer”, the game offers 3 roles: Damage, Support and Control, and in the game’s mechanics you can play either regardless of gear choice, that opens up way more options than limiting each role to a specific gear set, while also allows players to switch their playstyles even during the same dungeon run.

Gear is NOT a big part of a build in this game, no matter what stats you use a WoR will act as a WoR, a purely Support skill. Same with Smoke Fields, Stealth, AoE Stability, AoE Condition cleaning etc

The only real difference gear can make is choosing between damaging with power or with conditions

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

Do you know that there are much more game types then doongionspeedrun?
And do you know what EXCACTLY coming in expansion? No. NOONE KNOWS.
They see the problem of pve i guess, but not veryone likes this “holly trolly molly trinity” combo.
I guess i’m not alone in liking how you can cooperate with other players skills in this game to cover different deffencive and offencive parts.

“holly trinity” is sheat.
While I agree that dungeuon mechanics should be tweaked to make smth excpet zerk best, but it’s same as I would say tha they should nerf condicleanse so I could blob up with my condi necro in wvw and plague another blob (while it will break all other gamemodes).

Balance bi4s, balance.

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Oh..it would be so much better yes.
Allow me to remind you the defining moment of a game with
the holly trinity.
In the screen bellow you can see a group waiting in vain for a tank
to join,after the primary tank left the party.
Now,people leave parties in GW2 all the time,but you know how easy
it is to get a replacement.
Well in a trinity game it isn’t.
I’m not against classes becoming more potent in tanking and healing.
Make em as tanky and healish™ as you want.
But designing the encounters to require a tank and/or a healer to be completed
100% no.

Attachments:

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-