WvW: Season 1 vs PvE

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

If you haven’t, check out the article on WvW Season 1:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/welcome-to-world-vs-world-season-1/

When Season 1 starts, there will be more stuff to win in WvW, and it will likely become even more important to some people. By itself, I think that’s great and kind of overdue.

The problem is, there’s still PvE stuff to do in WvW. The jumping puzzle, world completion, gathering (can you find sugar pumpkins anywhere else in the game?), and even a ranger pet that can only be found there. This means that people with no interest in PvP will head in and be running around. Depending on the time of day, they may be displacing people who actually want to get in there and fight to win the WvW rewards.

I’m not sure how much of a difference the PvEers make when they take up player slots in WvW, or if it’s enough to matter. But with the stakes for winning at WvW going up, are we actually okay with this conflict? Is ANet?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I’m not sure how much of a difference the PvEers make when they take up player slots in WvW, or if it’s enough to matter. But with the stakes for winning at WvW going up, are we actually okay with this conflict? Is ANet?

Neglible. It will be a non-issue. 1 player doing PvE won’t make a difference.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

When Season 1 starts, there will be more stuff to win in WvW, and it will likely become even more important to some people. By itself, I think that’s great and kind of overdue.

The problem is, there’s still PvE stuff to do in WvW. The jumping puzzle, world completion, gathering (can you find sugar pumpkins anywhere else in the game?), and even a ranger pet that can only be found there. This means that people with no interest in PvP will head in and be running around. Depending on the time of day, they may be displacing people who actually want to get in there and fight to win the WvW rewards.

Yes, I believe there is a patch not far from the zone portal to Frostgorge from Wayfarer’s…near the Grawl camp. Pretty sure those are sugar pumpkins, lol.

Oh, wiki says they can be found in Bloodtide Coast, as well, so I could be mistaken about what’s at the Grawl camp. Regardless, I have lots of them and I’ve never seen one in WvW. Probably because I rarely visit there. Lol. =)

Thinking about it more, I think those are some other kind of squash in Frostgorge. But, I do know there is a sugar pumpkin patch…somewhere. Lol.

Here is a link to the farms, so you don’t have to keep an eye out, if you don’t want to: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sugar_Pumpkin_%28node%29

I really must stop posting before waking fully. Lol.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

can you find sugar pumpkins anywhere else in the game? Yes – Bloodtide Coast, Iron Marches

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Palador.2170

What worries me is that it may not be just one person. Maybe there’s five. Or ten. It’s hard to tell how many are in there at any one time.

I have yet to do world completion on any of my characters, but I intend to. It bothers me to think that I may be depriving someone of their chance to play or win at WvW to do so, though. So, I hope you’re right and it won’t matter.

And thanks for the info on the sugar pumpkins. I’ll be keeping my eyes out for them.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

The way I see it no one deserves to be there more than anyone else. First come first serve.

Think about it you were saying “dungeon” instead of “wvw”. Basically you’re just being an elitist.

Vol.5241

What worries me is that it may not be just one person. Maybe there’s five. Or ten. It’s hard to tell how many are in there at any one time.

I have yet to do world completion on any of my characters, but I intend to. It bothers me to think that I may be depriving someone of their chance to play or win at WvW to do so, though. So, I hope you’re right and it won’t matter.

And thanks for the info on the sugar pumpkins. I’ll be keeping my eyes out for them.

If you are so worried about it, don’t do your PvE stuff during prime time. So on weekdays, try to do everything before 8:00. Especially on fridays, do not PvE after reset (9:15). Thursdays/Friday before reset are usually good since match-ups are decided and WvW activity dies down.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

If you aren’t on JQ, SOR, or BG then a PvE’ers wont make a lick of difference in WvW or the leagues….

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

I actually think the worse part about the “seasons” is the meta achievement. Following ANet’s track record it’s going to be “cap x camps” “cap x towers” and “cap x keeps” “kill x people” etc..

Why is this an issue?

Most Achievement hunting PvErs will hit the “WvW Scene” early to get these points and since they are all “cap this” no one is going to worry about defending and the first match-up becomes a week long Karma Train so that everybody gets their reward chest at the end. Not to mention, what I assume will be back to 5-6 hours queues in T1, could destroy some servers. Every server can queue a map when everyone is trying to get these Achievements, I’m betting now that even AR/FC and other T7-8 servers will have full map zergs of people who’ve never set foot in WvW before.

If you aren’t on JQ, SOR, or BG then a PvE’ers wont make a lick of difference in WvW or the leagues….

Couldn’t be farther from the truth. Those PvErs are going to be looking for any decent guild out there to leech captures and get their Meta done. Lots of guilds run without tags and actively tell ‘Pugs’ to leave them alone because they rally other people. Happens now, will happen when this comes out.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

(edited by Feed Me Change.6528)

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Because EU servers are just a myth, amirite?

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I actually think the worse part about the “seasons” is the meta achievement. Following ANet’s track record it’s going to be “cap x camps” “cap x towers” and “cap x keeps” “kill x people” etc..

Why is this an issue?

Most Achievement hunting PvErs will hit the “WvW Scene” early to get these points and since they are all “cap this” no one is going to worry about defending and the first match-up becomes a week long Karma Train so that everybody gets their reward chest at the end. Not to mention, what I assume will be back to 5-6 hours queues in T1, could destroy some servers. Every server can queue a map when everyone is trying to get these Achievements, I’m betting now that even AR/FC and other T7-8 servers will have full map zergs of people who’ve never set foot in WvW before.

Couldn’t be farther from the truth. Those PvErs are going to be looking for any decent guild out there to leech captures and get their Meta done. Lots of guilds run without tags and actively tell ‘Pugs’ to leave them alone because they rally other people. Happens now, will happen when this comes out.

And then wonder why over time less and less people are present in world vs world.

“But guys, we were doing so well last month! What happened?!”

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

A far bigger issue is Guild vs Guild in WvW.

Essentially big guilds are organising big open field battles in WvW, particularly at the weekend.

So they are not interested in scoring points just open field combat. The BIG PROBLEM is they lock out all players who want to WvW for there server, like me.

Last weekend I queued for hours (6+) on both Saturday and Sunday to get in Eternal Borderlands, no success and that was because a big guild vs guild was hogging Eternal Borderlands all weekend…

Vol.5241

A far bigger issue is Guild vs Guild in WvW.

Essentially big guilds are organising big open field battles in WvW, particularly at the weekend.

So they are not interested in scoring points just open field combat. The BIG PROBLEM is they lock out all players who want to WvW for there server, like me.

Last weekend I queued for hours (6+) on both Saturday and Sunday to get in Eternal Borderlands, no success and that was because a big guild vs guild was hogging Eternal Borderlands all weekend…

GvG almost always are sheduled in borderlands due to lower populations there. EBG is usually the goto for pugs and makes it difficult for queues.

[Permabanned on Forums]

UrMom.4205

Guess you didn’t get my joke…in the gold league of the top 12 servers, any server below the top 3 don’t stand a chance at winning the league, population differences is too extreme between each server. A few pve’ers aren’t going to be the “oh kitten deciding factor” in the number 7’s chances at winning the league, they weren’t even in the running from the beginning

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

(edited by UrMom.4205)

UrMom.4205

Because EU servers are just a myth, amirite?

sorry friend i’m not familiar with any of the EU servers no offense intended

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Guess you didn’t get my joke…in the gold league of the top 12 servers, any server below the top 3 don’t stand a chance at winning the league, population differences is too extreme between each server. A few pve’ers aren’t going to be the “oh kitten deciding factor” in the number 7’s chances at winning the league, they weren’t even in the running from the beginning

But, aren’t the servers separated into groups? 3 groups for NA, and 2 for EU? I am guessing that would make some difference in each league. I could be wrong, of course. =)

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

They won’t win the overall league, but they have a chance of winning some of the matchups that don’t include a top 3 server. As I understand it, there’s rewards for winning those too.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

UrMom.4205

But, aren’t the servers separated into groups? 3 groups for NA, and 2 for EU? I am guessing that would make some difference in each league. I could be wrong, of course. =)

NA will have two leagues, Gold and Silver, each league will have 12 servers….soo gold league will be 1-12…at some point the number 12 has to fight the number 1…
-________-

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Posted by: Brendar.3548

Brendar.3548

The first week might be hogged by achievement hunters, but after that, I feel it’ll back to normal. I’m looking forward to the classic TC/FA/YB matchup. Haven’t had that in a while.

Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

Feed Me Change.6528

Actually that is incorrect. T1 servers will beat each other up when in the same match-up, even if there is a 3rd non-T1 server, because they’ll be so focused on beating them in the points. Someone did a ‘mock up’ of the last 7 weeks (not an exact replica of results/matchups) but SoS won.

Lol @ the GvG reply..

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Okay. The tournament, or whatever it’s called lasts for several weeks. Just like with most of the release achievements, things are crowded in the beginning, and then people drift away to do other things. It will most likely be the same for this meta achievement. A flurry of activity to start, and then settle down to those that enjoy that particular content. At least, that’s what I’m guessing.

Feed Me Change.6528

NA will have two leagues, Gold and Silver, each league will have 12 servers….soo gold league will be 1-12…at some point the number 12 has to fight the number 1…
-________-

Who is to say that it won’t be 1v2v12? 1 and 2 will be fighting a very tough week. Yeah, #12 will lose but whoever they decide to hit will feel the effects a lot more. #1 and #2 will be forced to LEAVE people in #12s garrison and towers to prevent losing that PPT rather than pull them out and hit the other server.

Palador.2170

If you are so worried about it, don’t do your PvE stuff during prime time. So on weekdays, try to do everything before 8:00. Especially on fridays, do not PvE after reset (9:15). Thursdays/Friday before reset are usually good since match-ups are decided and WvW activity dies down.

Thursday and Friday before reset? Noted.

I hadn’t even thought about achievement hunters clogging things up, but I guess that will happen. I guess that’s going to be a bigger problem than random PvEers jumping in and taking up a slot.

UrMom.4205

Actually that is incorrect. T1 servers will beat each other up when in the same match-up, even if there is a 3rd non-T1 server, because they’ll be so focused on beating them in the points. Someone did a ‘mock up’ of the last 7 weeks (not an exact replica of results/matchups) but SoS won.

Lol @ the GvG reply..

got a link for that mockup, i’d be curious to see that.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I am kinda looking forward to ‘farming’ those achievement hunters and other noobs with my Thief…does this make me a bad person?

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

If I can’t get in to wvw, tough beans for me. Also if i’m in there farming or doing jps or whatever, tough for everyone else.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

I am kinda looking forward to ‘farming’ those achievement hunters and other noobs with my Thief…does this make me a bad person?

Not really, but yes if you plan on camping any jps or vistas or the like. I hate that so kitten much.

Dealing with enemies is one thing, campers is another!

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Lol @ the GvG reply..

It wouldn’t mean much. In the last 7 weeks the tier 1 servers have been mostly playing tier 1 servers. In the league they will be against lower servers more often. I guess it would be possible for a non tier 1 server to win if they can get consistent results and the tier 1 servers split wins among themselves when they are matched together.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

Feed Me Change.6528

Lol @ the GvG reply..

It wouldn’t mean much. In the last 7 weeks the tier 1 servers have been mostly playing tier 1 servers. In the league they will be against lower servers more often. I guess it would be possible for a non tier 1 server to win if they can get consistent results and the tier 1 servers split wins among themselves when they are matched together.

True. In the last 7 weeks, T1 has played each other 3 times (1v2v3), lowest seed #1 played was #5 (DB, BG won by 130k) and this week (FA up by 70k on Tuesday morning..LOL).

If the best Rank 5 can do is lose by 130k, how can 7-12 expect to do anything but be spawn camped all week?

How ANet thought this was a good idea is beyond me.

The only hope is that Tier 1 server will let their pugs have fun when they play T3-4 servers and the WvW guilds will only play when it comes to T1-2 servers but this might be the most boring/frustrating 7 weeks of WvW ever.

EDIT: the lowest seed a T1 server has played so far is #8 (Mag), JQ in this case. Final was:

DB 165 967
JQ 351 750
Mag 96 271

These match-ups are going to be over so fast…

EDIT2: To add on to your post: I do this TC has the best choice to win this .JQ/SoR/BG will be so focused on beating each other up, TC could steal a 2nd place finish a couple times in those match-ups (depending on matches of course) TC will match T1 win for win when facing Rank 5-12 already but TC can use T1’s hatred towards each other to it’s benefit. TC has had some close fights with T1 servers as recent as Aug and with the extra people coming out to play, they could hold the pure numbers to be on the same level as T1.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

One fact to ease your concerns: WvW IS PVE

…but the zergs can attack one another instead of only the NPC’s, only difference from normal Tyria maps!

So yeah, there may be a few more people than usual that decide to participate in the zerg vs zerg instead of just doing their daily JP – the more the merrier!

People get “misplaced” into overflows from people doing things other than the world mega bosses in a zone while the boss is active, really no difference.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Lol @ the GvG reply..

True. In the last 7 weeks, T1 has played each other 3 times (1v2v3), lowest seed #1 played was #5 (DB, BG won by 130k) and this week (FA up by 70k on Tuesday morning..LOL).

If the best Rank 5 can do is lose by 130k, how can 7-12 expect to do anything but be spawn camped all week?

How ANet thought this was a good idea is beyond me.

The only hope is that Tier 1 server will let their pugs have fun when they play T3-4 servers and the WvW guilds will only play when it comes to T1-2 servers but this might be the most boring/frustrating 7 weeks of WvW ever.

EDIT: the lowest seed a T1 server has played so far is #8 (Mag), JQ in this case. Final was:

DB 165 967
JQ 351 750
Mag 96 271

These match-ups are going to be over so fast…

EDIT2: To add on to your post: I do this TC has the best choice to win this .JQ/SoR/BG will be so focused on beating each other up, TC could steal a 2nd place finish a couple times in those match-ups (depending on matches of course) TC will match T1 win for win when facing Rank 5-12 already but TC can use T1’s hatred towards each other to it’s benefit. TC has had some close fights with T1 servers as recent as Aug and with the extra people coming out to play, they could hold the pure numbers to be on the same level as T1.

Maybe, but TC is getting their teeth kicked in by SoR as I type…

Feed Me Change.6528

You have to figure in the 3rd server, SoS. If TC is in T1, a 190 PPT isn’t THAT bad, because the other 2 servers are still in the mid to high 200s. SoR is beating TC ‘bad’ because for TC to stay close it has to hold and protect not only TC’s assets but SoS’s assets which is hard to do.

For TC specifically, it will come down to the match-ups in which they get throw in with T1 servers. They should be guaranteed a 2nd place finish and 3 points if paired up like they are now and would have to work to prevent a 3rd place finish and 1 point if paired with 2 of the 3 T1 servers. Salvaging 3 points from match ups where they are put with a T1 server and demolishing all other match-ups (like they should) will put them ahead of whatever T1 server loses the “T1” match-up.

tldr – if TC finishes 2nd in any match-up with T1 servers, and wins all other (which they should) they will have a good chance to finish 1-3 overall. There is always going to be a T1 server that loses (1 pt) in that match-up and by finishing in 2nd, they gain 2 points on them.

Posted by: Robot Chocken.7012

Robot Chocken.7012

You have to figure in the 3rd server, SoS. If TC is in T1, a 190 PPT isn’t THAT bad, because the other 2 servers are still in the mid to high 200s. SoR is beating TC ‘bad’ because for TC to stay close it has to hold and protect not only TC’s assets but SoS’s assets which is hard to do.

For TC specifically, it will come down to the match-ups in which they get throw in with T1 servers. They should be guaranteed a 2nd place finish and 3 points if paired up like they are now and would have to work to prevent a 3rd place finish and 1 point if paired with 2 of the 3 T1 servers. Salvaging 3 points from match ups where they are put with a T1 server and demolishing all other match-ups (like they should) will put them ahead of whatever T1 server loses the “T1” match-up.

tldr – if TC finishes 2nd in any match-up with T1 servers, and wins all other (which they should) they will have a good chance to finish 1-3 overall. There is always going to be a T1 server that loses (1 pt) in that match-up and by finishing in 2nd, they gain 2 points on them.

That catch here is that all 12 servers will face one another. So it will not be the T1 servers fighting each other all the time. It is going to come down more to coverage me thinks.

Wok, Master Asura of [QT]

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

The way I see it no one deserves to be there more than anyone else. First come first serve.

Think about it you were saying “dungeon” instead of “wvw”. Basically you’re just being an elitist.

Dungeons are instanced, so one player playing dungeons does not reduce the ability of other players to play dungeons. The complaint is not about ‘bad players’ but about people who have no interest in WvW nonetheless being forced to go there in order to get access to certain PvE content.

People get “misplaced” into overflows from people doing things other than the world mega bosses in a zone while the boss is active, really no difference.

It’s very different, because there are no overflows in WvW.

Besides, the GvGers who want their own private server but are too cheap to pay for a custom arena are the only significant ‘capacity issue’ in WvW, not the odd random digging up Iron Ore.

(edited by Carzor Stelatis.9435)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Actually the main worry is that the format of the season is complete trash. Let’s worry about that first.

Also people should go wherever they please; if someone was trying to pressure and harass PvE’ers in WvW to listen to them, I’d advise them to laugh them off.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

what you say is untrue I hope those overpopulated servers get a bunch of pve noobs in WvW so it’s not such a freaking zerg fest I’m from yaks bend and DB is like that the top 7 or 8 worlds are OVER POPULATED and there will be so many that will transfer to them just for the rewards because numbers = win skill has nothing to do with it until you start getting down to 11-16 the ones below that are rather underpopulated so its kind of unfair to them but looks like yaks bend is going to get shafted because we are at 11 and 1-12 are league 1 and 13-24 are league 2 meaning we get stuck against the worlds that have QQ’rs on forums becuase they can’t get into WvW because of que and all bl’s being full of their people. I speak on my own here but i think its sad when unless we have our entire zerg in our bl against db we have the outmanned buff

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

That catch here is that all 12 servers will face one another. So it will not be the T1 servers fighting each other all the time. It is going to come down more to coverage me thinks.

you make me laugh jq commander comes down to coverage? as i said in my other post the top roughly 7 or 8 servers have untold amounts of people so it doesnt come down to coverage for any of u specially the top 3 it’s just can I zerg ball hard enough to make the other worlds give up that is all you noobs do I solo 2 or 3 of ur people with no heals almost every time ur only deadly in ur zerg ie all the time because your roam teams are 10 people roaming on yaks is solo gg anet u shafted everyone not in the top 3 for league 1if yaks doesnt fall down to 13 b4 this season 1 starts I won’t be doing wvw ever again until we face an actual balanced world

Posted by: Robot Chocken.7012

Robot Chocken.7012

you make me laugh jq commander comes down to coverage? as i said in my other post the top roughly 7 or 8 servers have untold amounts of people so it doesnt come down to coverage for any of u specially the top 3 it’s just can I zerg ball hard enough to make the other worlds give up that is all you noobs do I solo 2 or 3 of ur people with no heals almost every time ur only deadly in ur zerg ie all the time because your roam teams are 10 people roaming on yaks is solo gg anet u shafted everyone not in the top 3 for league 1if yaks doesnt fall down to 13 b4 this season 1 starts I won’t be doing wvw ever again until we face an actual balanced world

Actually JQ only usually has two guilds on one map. Tell us how you really feel

Wok, Master Asura of [QT]

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

There are plenty of things to worry about in this game. Rangers looking for juvenile pets in WvW is not one of them.