WvW does not count as PvP?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

In patch notes, I mean.

I assume it does, but I want to confirm.

(edited by Lopez.7369)

Lopez.7369

I just tested it. WvW does not count as PvP.

(edited by Lopez.7369)

Posted by: Derek.9021

Derek.9021

So disappointed that the pvp specifics don’t count in WvW. How lame.

Posted by: Brunners.7251

Brunners.7251

it’s not that surprising. They balance for sPvP. They don’t balance for Wuvwuv. it’s not strange that wuvwuv doesn’t count as pvp for their pvp only changes then.

Acadamey Gaming EU [AG] twitch.tv/brunners90

Lopez.7369

They balance for WvW. They have said in the past they take it as seriously as PvE and structured PvP.

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

They balance for WvW. They have said in the past they take it as seriously as PvE and structured PvP.

And yet history would prove otherwise…

Lopez.7369

It honestly makes no sense. Why would a class be doing too much damage in structured PvP but not WvW? How does that make sense?

Posted by: Akiko.2364

Akiko.2364

I noticed they made a “PvP” monthly achievement.. but left WvW in the non PvP monthly still… so maybe they dont consider it PvP…

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

I noticed they made a “PvP” monthly achievement.. but left WvW in the non PvP monthly still… so maybe they dont consider it PvP…

At this point I question if they even consider it at all.

Lopez.7369

It just makes no sense. If I’m 1v1ing a class in structured PvP and he kills me really fast, and ArenaNet believes that’s overpowered, why would that not apply in WvW?

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

WvWvW is a gray zone, as far as I understood.
WvWvW lets you gain XP like PvE.
You can gather materials in WvWvW like in PvE.
The heartquests, pois, wp, vistas etc. in WvWvW counts for World completion. Mist/SPvP does not.
The skills that are unavaiable in SPvP are avaiable in WvWvW like in PvE.
WvWvW was early on stated to not be completely balanced the way SPvP is, it is meant to be…. chaotic.

Yes you play against other players, but all in all… WvWvW is a gray zone.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Lt Latency.7415

Lt Latency.7415

It’s always been like this.

You can’t use SPvP rewards in World PvP.

SPvP is totally separate from the rest of the game. I think it sucks but it;’s always been this way.

Lopez.7369

It’s always been like this.

You can’t use SPvP rewards in World PvP.

SPvP is totally separate from the rest of the game. I think it sucks but it;’s always been this way.

That doesn’t have anything to do with what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the “PvP” label in patch notes.

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

when they say PvP in the patch notes i think they are referring only to sPvP. if they are talking about WvW they say WvW.

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

Lopez.7369

So in the future, when they nerf something that turns out to be massively overpowered in PvP but not PvE, WvW will be unaffected? Seems like really awful design.

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

So in the future, when they nerf something that turns out to be massively overpowered in PvP but not PvE, WvW will be unaffected? Seems like really awful design.

It is, but when you have a class balance team of 2 people what you going to do? rofl.

Lopez.7369

I honestly don’t get why he even admitted that.

Brunners.7251

yes but it’s impossible to balance for wuvwuv because there’s so many people and so much going on. It’s not MEANT to be balanced.

sPvP IS meant to be balanced, and hence the difference.

Lopez.7369

That’s wrong. WvW has small-scale battles. Balance matters there.

The big battles are so big that balance doesn’t really matter.

Also, they specifically said WvW balance matters, so I have no idea why you keep saying that.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

WvW bears almost no resemblance to PvP. The 2 systems don’t even intersect.

Brunners.7251

That’s wrong. WvW has small-scale battles. Balance matters there.

The big battles are so big that balance doesn’t really matter.

Also, they specifically said WvW balance matters, so I have no idea why you keep saying that.

Well I heard the exact opposite. I heard they weren’t meant balancing wvw because it’s not supposed to be.

Never once have I seen them say that they’re specifically balancing for WvW. There’s a reason skills have only EVER been split for sPvP and WvW has always been left alone.

It. Doesn’t. Count.

Lopez.7369

Here you go:

I just wanted to write a quick post to address our overall balance philosophy. I see threads inside every single profession sub forum talking about how that profession is either overpowered, underpowered, or both. In the past we made balance updates fairly frequently. While we will continue to be responsive to serious issues, we also want to make sure that we let the basic meta-game stabilize before making too many changes.

If you see something that is really strong please try and find counters to it before assuming it is overpowered. We have put a lot of hours into the game already and there are still many things we are learning about the depth of the combat and the balance. There are also finally enough players consistently playing that we can actually gather metrics on skills and make some more informed decisions about what is too weak/strong.

Please don’t hesitate to point out builds that look like they could use some balance work. We are constantly striving to make Guild Wars 2 the most balanced game it can be and appreciate all of your feedback. Try to keep your feedback focused and specific so we can know the context of your issues. PvE, WvW, and sPvP balance are all equally important and we will address them all with the same amount of weight and thought. Remember, as well that when we want to make a change it takes time for us to decide what to do, how to do it, and then to test it and make sure that it isn’t going to create any unwanted results. Our hope is that our turnaround can be quick, but implore you to be patient, as well thought out changes will be better for the health of the game than knee-jerk reactions.

Thanks again for your feedback, your time, and your passion.

Jon

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Balancing-Guild-Wars-2/first#post92064

(edited by Lopez.7369)

Brunners.7251

The fact is that they are only currently balancing for sPvP.

WvW and PvE = the same thing. They’re not balancing for WvW atm, because they’re allowing the same pve skills.

Their idea of balance in wvw is different to their idea of balance in wvw.

Posted by: thetreebranch.4831

thetreebranch.4831

Try playing more WvW. sPvP to me is more like some cross between Hero Battles and Alliance Battles (complete jokes in GW) than they are to a true PvP format.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Try playing more WvW. sPvP to me is more like some cross between Hero Battles and Alliance Battles (complete jokes in GW) than they are to a true PvP format.

Don’t be a jerk. I’ve played it plenty. If you don’t like sPvP, that’s totally fine. Call it names if you like.

That doesn’t change the fact that from the ground up, the two systems don’t intersect. You go to wvw with your pve gear and pve spec. The skills work in their usual pve ways.

Go to sPvP and you have a completely different set of gear. You can’t equip your wvw gear, no matter how hard you try. Your armor and weapons don’t have stats on them. Only an amulet. Everything is free. You earn no xp gold karma or badges… Get the point?

In wvw you can do pve achievements, including your daily and part of your monthly. The monthly calls for “player kills,” yet none of my sPvP kills count toward it….

why why why? Oh yeah, because WvW bears almost no resemblance to PvP. The 2 systems don’t even intersect.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Why would they bother to balance wvw when you can take Legendary and Acended gear into WvW and not s/tPvP?

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…