WvW for map completion is just pure griefing.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: No Lie.7402

No Lie.7402

All that happens is the players with the worse server end up never getting map completion because they get zerged trying to. You can’t even get a single vista or a thief shows up to waste your 5 minutes walking to it. It really demotivates me from my goal to craft a legendary when I practically have to pay to server switch for world completion.

Posted by: Eight O Eight.8257

Eight O Eight.8257

WvW should have absolutely zero to do with World Completion. And try doing it on 10 characters! Ridiculous.

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

It is not griefing. Stop calling every action you don’t like as griefing.

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

Another one of these threads? (Insert “beating a dead horse” gif here.) I’m on a Tier 8 server for WvW, and while it may have taken a while, it is still doable. The thing is, you’re so used to running around in PvE where there’s no challenge to mapping that when it DOES become a challenge, you don’t like it because you can’t accomplish it as easy as mapping Queensdale.

Here’s a suggestion: Ask in map chat if anyone else needs a POI or vista that you need. If there are people that do need it, group with them and go get it or take it. Keep your eye on the matchups to see when your server has a Borderland you need to map. Yes, its a pain when your server is the same color for 3 weeks in a row, but it WILL change at some point. The WvW community is a fun bunch, and most likely will group with you to help. You’ll also get good loot. Every time you gain a WvW level, you get a rank up chest with cash and drops, each tower gives a champ loot bag, and you get ascended crafting mats if you’re level 80.

Are you upleveled when you go to WvW? It might help to be level 80 with full exotics all around, and food buffs. If you haven’t yet leveled up your crafting to 400 chef, and whatever armor and weapons you use, do that first so you’re not spending your hard earned gold on food buffs, armor, and weapons. You get achievement points for it, too. These forums have good topics on WvW builds for your class, so check those out as well. I’ll wager that when you get with a group that takes that tower you need the POI from, and stick with them when they take Bay, Hills, or Garrison on a Borderlands map, or a few other towers or camps, you’ll be hooked on the unique fun that is WvW.

One suggestion: always have supply!

Posted by: No Lie.7402

No Lie.7402

Another one of these threads? (Insert “beating a dead horse” gif here.) I’m on a Tier 8 server for WvW, and while it may have taken a while, it is still doable. The thing is, you’re so used to running around in PvE where there’s no challenge to mapping that when it DOES become a challenge, you don’t like it because you can’t accomplish it as easy as mapping Queensdale.

Here’s a suggestion: Ask in map chat if anyone else needs a POI or vista that you need. If there are people that do need it, group with them and go get it or take it. Keep your eye on the matchups to see when your server has a Borderland you need to map. Yes, its a pain when your server is the same color for 3 weeks in a row, but it WILL change at some point. The WvW community is a fun bunch, and most likely will group with you to help. You’ll also get good loot. Every time you gain a WvW level, you get a rank up chest with cash and drops, each tower gives a champ loot bag, and you get ascended crafting mats if you’re level 80.

Are you upleveled when you go to WvW? It might help to be level 80 with full exotics all around, and food buffs. If you haven’t yet leveled up your crafting to 400 chef, and whatever armor and weapons you use, do that first so you’re not spending your hard earned gold on food buffs, armor, and weapons. You get achievement points for it, too. These forums have good topics on WvW builds for your class, so check those out as well. I’ll wager that when you get with a group that takes that tower you need the POI from, and stick with them when they take Bay, Hills, or Garrison on a Borderlands map, or a few other towers or camps, you’ll be hooked on the unique fun that is WvW.

Im level 80 with exotics/ascendeds its just I hate pvp content and it’s a drag to do something you dislike.

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Im level 80 with exotics/ascendeds its just I hate pvp content and it’s a drag to do something you dislike.

I hate PvE content it’s a drag to do something you don’t like and there is far more PvE content to do for a legendary.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Then dodge enemy players and get what you can, when you can. It’s not hard.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

I want a legendary but I hate doing map completion in pve is so dang boring!!

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Here’s what you do:

Every day you get on where you have more than an hour to play, hop into WvW and grab everything that you need that currently own that you don’t already have. Up to 15 minutes. Whichever comes first. You may skip days where you own nothing that you didn’t already have.

If you do not have Stone Mist Castle, every so often check to see if your side has it. If it does. Get it. Even if it’s well past the first 15 minutes. It flips fairly often. And most people aren’t super willing to just drop everything and take it. It takes work to get SMC.

I typically tried to aim for a 1% increase in one of the maps each day I logged in when I last did it. I’m also like you and did not find WvW very fun.

But I’m all for the last thing of any actual WvW play remaining as part of getting a legendary. Badges of Honor come in Achievement Point chests well past the number required for the Gift of Battle. Even once they put back in the rank requirement you can get that via liquid WXP. Which can be bought with laurels + badges of honor.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

On taking SMC, sometimes it is super easy. I have been in a group of FIVE that took this objective, merely because the server that owned it was otherwise occupied. I have also been part of a fairly small group (like 20-30 maybe?) that held off a large golem attack on SMC where we were also outmanned 3-1. It’s fun It’s exicting Try it on for size to actually participate. You don’t have to solo.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

It’s only a dead horse because anet doesn’t give a darn. FBs support the the stupid way they make WvW needed for map completion. Simple as that. Now if there was a way to charge gold/gems and get useless bling—then they would be all over eliminnating it.

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

I agree it is unreasonable to have WvWvW as part of the required map completion. This places certain players at a disadvantage if their servers are stuck in a certain color. I just left Eredon Terrace after getting stomped by almost every server out there; it was especially horrible when we were stuck fighting FC and SF for months endlessly and SF would own 70-90% of all the maps.

In the case of such disadvantaged servers, the game itself is unbalanced and allows players on better WvW servers to have easier access to legendary weapons which are not exclusive to WvW like the tournament rewards. I’m working on my 5th map completion atm.

Can it be done on disadvantaged servers? Yes. Is it fair to all players? No.
That’s my personal opinion anyway.

Golden shackles are still golden.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

If the keeps and towers weren’t flipping very much it’d be a problem. At present it’s just a waiting game… I guess.

I always did WvW map completion first before I started with the rest of the game so it never got to that point. Worst part of the grind is getting all those lodestones… or I suppose the precursor if you insist on getting Twilight just like everyone else.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

PvP is not a requirement in GW2 – that’s why it is in a separate place where you CAN’T affect PvE. So those of us who don’t like PvP aren’t normally required to participate – unless we want map completion.

This is incredibly nonsensical. But I’ll just say what I normally say: if I feel forced to do something I don’t like, I will leave the game. Plenty of other games out there.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

If you are being killed on your way to a vista, bring some friends/guildies. They probably have a character that could do some mapping as well. And if you’re on a low tier, running around with a group will make you a fairly powerful force to avoid. Also, WvW mapping is best done in a 3 steps, mapping each color’s main areas at a time.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i loled at the title… please don’t report me for griefing

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

My suggestion to make both sides happy.

You currently get 2 Gifts of Exploration for Map Completion. Split Map Completion so there is now “Map Completion: Tyria” and “Map Completion: The Mists”. Completing map exploration for PvE gets you 1 Gift of Exploration. Completing map exploration for WvW gets you another 1 Gift of Exploration.

Problem solved. Those who don’t want to WvW for their Legendary don’t have to do so. Those who don’t want to PvE for their Legendary can stick to WvW/PvP.

Posted by: Phantasmal.5631

Phantasmal.5631

You currently get 2 Gifts of Exploration for Map Completion. Split Map Completion so there is now “Map Completion: Tyria” and “Map Completion: The Mists”. Completing map exploration for PvE gets you 1 Gift of Exploration. Completing map exploration for WvW gets you another 1 Gift of Exploration.

Problem solved. Those who don’t want to WvW for their Legendary don’t have to do so. Those who don’t want to PvE for their Legendary can stick to WvW/PvP.

I really like your suggestion! That would be amazing if it was implemented. Doing PvE map completion is SOOOOO boring. Like so boring. I have probably fallen asleep twice completing hearts on a map. WvW, while having only 4 maps can be challenging if you are on a server that doesn’t flip stuff consistently. Your suggestion would pacify a ton of people for gifts of exploration.

Seera.5916

WvW players will see the number of gifts explode way more than those who only PvE.

4 maps vs how many maps?

Legendary should require participation in all aspects of the game in which you can take a legendary to. You can take a legendary to WvW. Therefore WvW should be required to get a legendary. Yes, I think legendary weapons should never have been able to be sold on the TP.

However, what they should do is add 2 more map completion achievements. A pure PvE one and a pure WvW one. The current one should be turned into an achievement like the achievements that track meta progression in LS updates. The current update would still hand out the title and the gifts. But those going purely for the 100% map completion don’t wind up with 98% map completion if they despise WvW. And those who solely WvW can have their own 100% achievement as well.

Seera.5916

I really like your suggestion! That would be amazing if it was implemented. Doing PvE map completion is SOOOOO boring. Like so boring. I have probably fallen asleep twice completing hearts on a map. WvW, while having only 4 maps can be challenging if you are on a server that doesn’t flip stuff consistently. Your suggestion would pacify a ton of people for gifts of exploration.

But conversely, what about those servers who do flip stuff consistently? How many Gifts can they easily rack up? ANet has to consider both sides of the spectrum.

Posted by: Eight O Eight.8257

Eight O Eight.8257

If you are being killed on your way to a vista, bring some friends/guildies. They probably have a character that could do some mapping as well. And if you’re on a low tier, running around with a group will make you a fairly powerful force to avoid. Also, WvW mapping is best done in a 3 steps, mapping each color’s main areas at a time.

I play solo. I have been playing for almost 2 yrs, solo. I have no friends nor guild mates. I should not be forced to have friends or guild mates in order to complete something in the game such as this exploratory achievement.

Yes, it’s an MMO; don’t care, don’t like people. Don’t like PvPers especially. Just let me play the way I want.

Seera.5916

I play solo. I have been playing for almost 2 yrs, solo. I have no friends nor guild mates. I should not be forced to have friends or guild mates in order to complete something in the game such as this exploratory achievement.

Yes, it’s an MMO; don’t care, don’t like people. Don’t like PvPers especially. Just let me play the way I want.

I never had to have any help when I got my WvW completion. Never asked. I only went with a zerg once because they happened to be headed to an objective I needed. So I went with them without asking or saying anything. Helped the best I could and went on my way after making sure they weren’t headed to another location I needed.

It can be done solo. So you can play the way you want. Just don’t expect the same results in the same time frame as someone who plays differently. Someone not afraid to ask for help getting a POI is going to finish WvW faster than those of us who would rather play alone. I’m also one of those I’d rather play alone types who you’d think wouldn’t play or enjoy MMO’s.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

+1—-ditto!!
Respect!!!!!

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

I wouldn’t call it griefing but it still doesn’t make much sense. Either both dungeons and WvW should be included in 100% map completion or neither of them do and they should have their own seperate titles.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Having to fight players to get 5% map completion is about as unfair as having to fight a billion dumb mobs to get 95% map completion.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

A better solution would be to make WvW map completion and PvE map completion separate, with each rewarding a Gift of Exploration upon completion. This way, WvW’ers don’t have to slog through all of Tyria’s maps (which really are more time consuming than hard), and PvE’ers don’t have to endure zones that they have no interest in otherwise.

They could also give a separate icon/title for completing the WvW maps (example: the WvW “fort” icon with a star behind/around it, or just a golden fort icon).

But, I doubt they’ll do that.

Edit: Zaxares already suggested that. Brambles.

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

Whenever I see one of these threads I’m reminded of how insanely easy this game is. You’re basically saying, “I want to craft the best weapon in the game! I should have no resistance in accomplishing this goal.” and if you actually make the legendary you’ll just quit. There was nothing challenging to do in PvE, getting the legendary was the hardest thing.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

If you work on the WvW maps while you are leveling to 80 instead of waiting until you finished mapping out the PvE areas it’s a lot easier.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Zaxares.5419

WvW players will see the number of gifts explode way more than those who only PvE.

4 maps vs how many maps?

Legendary should require participation in all aspects of the game in which you can take a legendary to. You can take a legendary to WvW. Therefore WvW should be required to get a legendary. Yes, I think legendary weapons should never have been able to be sold on the TP.

What would be the issue with having WvW players with “too many” Gifts of Exploration? They stack, so just put them in one slot in your Bank, or destroy them if you have no plans for going for a Legendary.

PvE exploration is long, but ultimately fairly simple. WvW exploration has the downside of RNG and a dependence on other players built in. It is not unfeasible for a player to be stuck on a quiet WvW server that has barely any attendance, resulting in them never having the opportunity to cap Keeps or Stonemist Castle. Forcing these players to pay gems to transfer to a more populated server would not be fair on them.

I also don’t have any issue with Legendaries being tradable. In fact, I’d actually like it if EVERYTHING was tradable. No account/soul bound nonsense. If I have something, I don’t want it, and somebody else wants my something, I should be able to sell it to them.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Agreed with Zaxares there. While selling Legendary weapons on the Trading Post takes away from their…“legendary” feel somewhat, if the players want to sell them, that’s their choice. Same with those bugs from those buried chests in Dry Top. I got a second one and already made the one I knew I’d go for, and I’m not sure I want to farm geodes for another recipe. It’d be nice to be able to sell it at least.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Whenever I see one of these threads I’m reminded of how insanely easy this game is. You’re basically saying, “I want to craft the best weapon in the game! I should have no resistance in accomplishing this goal.” and if you actually make the legendary you’ll just quit. There was nothing challenging to do in PvE, getting the legendary was the hardest thing.

Challenge is fine. This isn’t much of a “challenge” and is far more an annoyance. Of course, it wasn’t either things for my Guardian when my server was ripping WvW a new one. Having two explore the same map three times was a big annoyance, though.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

All that happens is the players with the worse server end up never getting map completion because they get zerged trying to. You can’t even get a single vista or a thief shows up to waste your 5 minutes walking to it. It really demotivates me from my goal to craft a legendary when I practically have to pay to server switch for world completion.

I think the problem is you think being wasted 5 minutes is a big deal. No one is boring enough to camp a vista 24/7. If you die just walk back, if he is still there, wait an hour to try again.

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

Steps how to do world completion in WvW:
1. Go to WvW the day before reset with all your characters and collect all the world completion you can get (your server’s borderlands and eternal battlegrounds area). Avoid encounters if you don’t want to participate in fights.
2. When your server changed team color for the next match, repeat step 1.
3. Repeat step 2.

This process will take about three to six weeks, but once you completed it you can return to PvE world completion and collect 2x Gifts of Exploration from each of your characters.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

It is annoying it is not griefing by the company. Every game company has this fantasy that people really do want to PvP they just need to be pushed into it. It does not work as far as I have ever seen but is what is done. I did 2 world completions solo and frankly saw only a couple of players while doing the last one a month ago (not running with a zerg).

Zaxares.5419

Steps how to do world completion in WvW:
1. Go to WvW the day before reset with all your characters and collect all the world completion you can get (your server’s borderlands and eternal battlegrounds area). Avoid encounters if you don’t want to participate in fights.
2. When your server changed team color for the next match, repeat step 1.
3. Repeat step 2.

This process will take about three to six weeks, but once you completed it you can return to PvE world completion and collect 2x Gifts of Exploration from each of your characters.

A generally good strategy. However, it still depends a bit on your luck. Sometimes you could be like TC and end up being Red 6 weeks in a row.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

However, what they should do is add 2 more map completion achievements. A pure PvE one and a pure WvW one. The current one should be turned into an achievement like the achievements that track meta progression in LS updates. The current update would still hand out the title and the gifts. But those going purely for the 100% map completion don’t wind up with 98% map completion if they despise WvW. And those who solely WvW can have their own 100% achievement as well.

Yes, please! this is definitely what they should do.

Have gift of exploration still require both, ..but having 100pve and 100%WvW as separate achieves would be fantastic!
Tbh, if they change that, they probably should add “explore all poi’s in dungeons” too. (as an achieve only. could give that a title “Dungeon Explorer..” …maybe..)

(edited by Taygus.4571)

Posted by: Neurochazm.5370

Neurochazm.5370

Doing WvW for map completion is a pain in the baby cat. However, if you do it bit by bit over the course of a few days / weeks it can be a lot less frustrating.
Try doing it for 1/2 an hour a day whilst gathering materials for your Legendary & it will seem less of a chore.

I believe in a long, prolonged, derangement of the senses in order to obtain the unknown.

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

Lornars pass , enough said…

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Lets remove wvw map completion in order to get the “notsolegendary” weapon. My heart goes out to those poor wvw players grinding 97% completion outside wvw + tons of mats in order to get their legendary.

Now without sarcasm, like one stated above hop into wvw check if your world owns a structure you need to poi/vista in, take it, and go do whatever you want to do instead. Rinse and repeat and cross your fingers for another colour next reset.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Lets [sic] remove wvw map completion[…]

[Hop] into wvw, check if your world owns a structure you need to poi/vista in, take it, and go do whatever you want to do instead. Rinse and repeat and cross your fingers for another colour next reset.

Pretty much what I had to do. It sucks, but I managed to do a quick red-blitz and finish out the last 6 or so I needed. If you care enough, you check WvW often. Or run around with a friend, that was almost fun. =P

I honestly wouldn’t mind the WvW requirement if they could balance the teams better and give the servers a better color rotation. Which actually seems at odds, considering color is based on performance. That’s kinda dumb, in my opinion, but it’s an automated measure to assume things go smoothly. And I haven’t checked much since the “activity level” change, so maybe it’s gotten better?

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Yeah, I did this once, and never will again …
It took transferring to another server for a week to complete my mapping, back when transfers were free.

Regarding being pushed into WvW ..

The odd thing for me was that had I been able to wander into WvW if/when I wanted to. I would have enjoyed it enough to do a lot more of it.

Because I was pushed into it for world completion, i resented this so much I never went back after I finished mapping. That was over 1.5 years ago.

So the notion of pushing players into WvW to stimulate interest, certainly backfired in my case.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

+100 to this very good idea

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Working as intended.

Attachments:

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

As I’m getting close to my 9th 100% world map completion…..I don’t see a problem with WvW mapping. I don’t WvW much but still have managed to complete those 4 maps without problems. Most of the times I didn’t even have to follow anyone or get help.

It isn’t hard to grab what you have and keep checking back periodically to see if your server owns what you need.

I don’t even need the gift of exploration…I just want my pretty star!

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

It is not griefing. There are people that have finished mapping and had no issues. If you don’t want map completion then you don’t have to go into WvW. If you want it, well then bite the bullet and do it.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I have 6 characters and every single one of them has 100% WvW map completion. Only one of those characters has 100% map completion.

I am insulted that I have to complete dungeons that I hate, and repeatedly, just to get a Legendary.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.