XP Boosters Not Working Right?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aero.1489

Aero.1489

So I was killing things with 3 types of XP boosters. One was the Celebration booster that gives 100% XP from kills, another of XP boost where I get the kill streak bonus that I keep at 100% and food for another 15%.
So I was sitting back killing Ettins in Kessix Hills and noticed some strange things. I get 56 xp + Bonus 200xp! Next kill: 56 xp + Bonus 63 xp! Next again: 56 xp + Bonus 156 xp!
Something seems wrong here. Is it a bug or am I reading one of the boosters wrong where it only sometimes gives the bonus xp?
(I checked and all boosters where active and kill streak was at max stacks of 10.

Posted by: Gynok.1756

Gynok.1756

if a mob has been alive for a long time it gives more xp

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Bonus xp is also accrued on mobs depending on how long they have been alive. The variance you’re seeing in bonus xp is because some of those ettins have been around longer. You’ll see this bonus xp in its “raw” form if you’re not running any boosters at all.

That bonus xp has been in xp since launch to encourage people to move around the map rather than farm the same pack of mobs on respawn.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Things give more XP the longer they live before getting killed. The ones with higher XP might have been around longer.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Aero.1489

So the xp boosters really are only giving me like 38xp per kill?

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

So the xp boosters really are only giving me like 38xp per kill?

I believe xp boosts multiple the base xp, and then add that amount to any other bonus xp is on the mob.

Also, kessex is a very low level area so the mobs grant relatively small amount of xp.

That said, you’re pretty much always going to get the majority of your xp from events and map completion stuff. Mob xp in GW2 is a relatively small portion of total xp gain.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Aero.1489

So basically I have been lvling wrong and not grind mobs. Thanks for the clarification. Best to work on those events I have been seeing.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

is that char level 80? If so, you might want to try a high level place like Orr. Get in with people doing the event chains, especially the events with lots of mobs spawning. The XP from the mobs and the events can be quite good.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: dchsknight.3042

dchsknight.3042

Grinding Mobs for exp is bad in this game, dont do it. The using xp boosters for events is much more effective way of getting xp.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

Grinding Mobs for exp is bad in this game, dont do it. The using xp boosters for events is much more effective way of getting xp.

not necessarily, xp boosters on spider farm in Verdant Brink gives more exp vs any event, given the same amount of time….. i was getting 3.9k exp per kill

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

If you find an out of the way spot where people don’t like to play you’ll get like 2000 bonus experience, so killing mobs can be a good way to level masteries. I also find it very relaxing and enjoyable, as well as profitable depending on where you are. Find some little cubby hole in Orr and have at it, Kessex Hills is too well-traveled.