XP idea

XP idea

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I just hate it that experience points are worthless once you’ve gotten enough to get all the masteries. Worse, most of the consumable items give XP boosts, as do banners and such. They basically make worthless into bigger worthless. Zero is still zero.

I want the problem fixed.

My idea is to give us karma instead, once we’ve maxed out. I’m not sure what the ratio should be, maybe 100 XP = 1 karma (or 10 or 1000).

Thoughts?

XP idea

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

It’s been discussed time and again, with people suggesting all kinds of rewards for xp past level cap. I’d also like xp past level cap to be put to some use instead of going to waste. But anet, afaik, hasn’t said anything about it, so we wait.

XP idea

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Short of making a “mastery” that gives a tangible reward and recycles over and over, I doubt the current system would allow anything such as this, as post-80 it’s no longer a leveling system.

XP idea

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Short of making a “mastery” that gives a tangible reward and recycles over and over, I doubt the current system would allow anything such as this, as post-80 it’s no longer a leveling system.

That’s actually one of the ideas that was circulated. It would be like the “Agent of Entropy” achievement.

XP idea

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s not a “problem” — it’s a preference, albeit for lots and lots of us. The game works perfectly well and nothing is “wasted” (as the poster above says, once you’ve done progressing in levels & masteries, you don’t need ‘experience’ points).

I do feel that all the XP boosters I have now are wasting away, until the next expansion (or until the update that allows me to convert them to something else). And I would like to see a use for XP. However, it’s nothing remotely like bugged events, the problem of having to move chest keys from character to character, the needless expense of runes|sigils that can’t be swapped to match legendary gear stat changes, and so on.

tl;dr sure, I’d like to see a use for XP post-masteries; I just think we can easily live without it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

XP idea

Daddicus.6128

It’s not a “problem” — it’s a preference, albeit for lots and lots of us. The game works perfectly well and nothing is “wasted” (as the poster above says, once you’ve done progressing in levels & masteries, you don’t need ‘experience’ points).

I do feel that all the XP boosters I have now are wasting away, until the next expansion (or until the update that allows me to convert them to something else). And I would like to see a use for XP. However, it’s nothing remotely like bugged events, the problem of having to move chest keys from character to character, the needless expense of runes|sigils that can’t be swapped to match legendary gear stat changes, and so on.

tl;dr sure, I’d like to see a use for XP post-masteries; I just think we can easily live without it.

You kind of missed the point.

XP idea

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

The game works perfectly well and nothing is “wasted” (as the poster above says, once you’ve done progressing in levels & masteries, you don’t need ‘experience’ points).

While they’re not needed, that doesn’t mean they’re not wasted. You perform an action, you get xp for it and… the xp disappears. In another post you offered a reason why luck couldn’t be auto-consumed. This is a case of xp being auto-consumed into a black hole. In a game about progression that seems a strange omission.

(edited by Zoltar MacRoth.7146)

XP idea

Aidan Savage.2078

The game works perfectly well and nothing is “wasted” (as the poster above says, once you’ve done progressing in levels & masteries, you don’t need ‘experience’ points).

While they’re not needed, that doesn’t mean they’re not wasted. You perform an action, you get xp for it and… the xp disappears. In another post you offered a reason why luck couldn’t be auto-consumed. This is a case of xp being auto-consumed into a black hole. In a game about progression that seems a strange omission.

Think of it this way, if the mobs didnt generate experience for you, you’d not get loot drops off them either.

XP idea

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Think of it this way, if the mobs didnt generate experience for you, you’d not get loot drops off them either.

I don’t understand your reasoning there. Could the game not give loot without giving experience?

XP idea

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I wonder if you could just store EXP in a container whether for other characters or to spend at a vendor. Same difference.

XP idea

Aidan Savage.2078

I don’t understand your reasoning there. Could the game not give loot without giving experience?

For the most part, mobs that do not give experience on kill, does not give a chance at loot.

XP idea

Posted by: DeadSurvivor.6157

DeadSurvivor.6157

I’m all for some type of experience conversion so it doesn’t feel like a waste.

Guild Wars 2 News & Links
Guilds: [AoL]
( Swindle Rogue )

XP idea

Daddicus.6128

For the most part, mobs that do not give experience on kill, does not give a chance at loot.

For the most part, this is false.

Every creature you kill gives XP and a loot chance. The exceptions are story missions, and some world boss battles (VineWrath comes to mind). But, even the Claw of Jormag’s minions give loot and XP if you bother killing them.

XP idea

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I agree that there should be an XP “wrap around” reward and I don’t think it needs to have a particularly high value. Just some karma or a spirit shard or even just a chest containing salvage fodder. There are plenty of fairly low value chests/bags in the game already so they could be re-used. Or just give us a couple of AP.

XP idea

Posted by: SmudgerUK.4715

SmudgerUK.4715

I’ve never understood why skill points had to be removed and replaced with this current setup of hero points and skill shards. XP used to give you a skill point every time you “levelled up” beyond level 80. Skill points could get you all the things from the Mystic Forge that spirit shards do now. So your XP was always worth something, as were your skill points.
With the current setup I’m now watching my XP drift off into the ether and I’ve got a bunch of leftover hero points that I can’t do anything with.
If ANet reverted to the old system then everything would be usable again.
I get that they probably felt they needed to change something, because under the old system, even new players who came on board with the launch of HOT, could eventually have built up enough skill/hero points to get the elite specialization without even setting foot in HOT, but what they’ve come up with isn’t their greatest idea.

XP idea

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

You kind of missed the point.

I think so too, Skill Points were a currency that you paid for some items at the mystic forge with. Then they changed Skill Points into Hero Points and Spirit Shards. So they could just switch to a repetitive achievement giving 1 Spirit Shard per level. They would have to remove the drops to balance this a bit.

It gave a reward for leveling which until the HoT changes remained since GW1 started. It gave some meaning to all the XP we were generating.

Anet, can I swap for all the useless XP boosters I have for something else?

XP idea

Daddicus.6128

I think so too, Skill Points were a currency that you paid for some items at the mystic forge with. Then they changed Skill Points into Hero Points and Spirit Shards. So they could just switch to a repetitive achievement giving 1 Spirit Shard per level. They would have to remove the drops to balance this a bit.

It gave a reward for leveling which until the HoT changes remained since GW1 started. It gave some meaning to all the XP we were generating.

Anet, can I swap for all the useless XP boosters I have for something else?

I’m not so concerned about replacing the current system with the old. The new system has merit, also.

What bothers me is the complete waste that’s occurring every time I do things that used to carry a reward. Crafting, reviving people, consumables, you name it.

It doesn’t have to be a landslide of cash. But, SOMETHING to turn XP into would at least make sense.

XP idea

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

if you dont have any masteries to level it could be accumulated to the point of a level up tome or spirit shard. maybe it could be done via a repeatable achievement in the achievement panel that captures xp gained while a mastery track is not selected to level

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

XP idea

Posted by: Nadala.3521

Nadala.3521

Please consider adding a repeatable mastery line to Tyria and Heart of Thorns, so that once people are capped in either location they can still continue to earn rewards and benefit from experience gains.

XP idea

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

that would be pretty neat

feels awful doing a fractal and getting 25,500 x15 at the end and having all of it completely wasted

XP idea

Daddicus.6128

if you dont have any masteries to level it could be accumulated to the point of a level up tome or spirit shard. maybe it could be done via a repeatable achievement in the achievement panel that captures xp gained while a mastery track is not selected to level

I would support a repeatable achievement where you got something like 1 achievement point per 2 “levels” of XP (or 10; whatever).