Yay, news: Point of No Return!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

“A Living World
The return of Living World Season 2 is rapidly approaching. When the season resumes on November 4, we’ll see the story pick up from the cliffhanger that left one of the world’s leaders fighting for survival, and the races of Tyria preparing for war against the Elder Dragon Mordremoth.
For Tyrians, the awakening of each of the previous elder dragons led to catastrophic world events: earthquakes, tidal waves, and the raising of a long sunken continent are just some examples of the destruction left in their wake. These have seared their marks into the face of Tyria.
Now another elder dragon stirs deep in the heart of the jungle. The world’s leaders have agreed to turn their attention to this new threat and attempt to destroy it before it can wreak the havoc they’ve seen other elder dragons sow. As season 2 returns, we turn our eyes towards Mordremoth as our next target. We also ponder the meaning of the vision given by the Pale Tree and the role that legends of Tyria’s past may play in a story that is yet to unfold.

Holiday Festivals
As we’ve done in the past, there will be festival releases interweaved into this coming Living World season. Let’s take a quick look at our festival calendar for the remainder of 2014.
This coming Tuesday, October 21, the Mad Realm returns with our annual Halloween release. On December 16, we’ll release our usual holiday-themed festivities with Wintersday. Both of these releases will feature the same content as last year but with refreshed rewards, giving you fun new festival-themed items to earn.

Into the Jungle
The road to war is paved by points of no return. Tyria has already decided to take the battle to Mordremoth. As we go on this journey we’ll learn dark secrets of Tyria’s past, venture into stories with roots deep in the very heart of Guild Wars lore, and visit places that have only been rumored to exist.
Season 2?s final episode will feature an unforgettable end for all of you who go on this journey with us. So make sure to jump in and join the ride starting on November 4.

We’ll see you in game!"

Obvious news are obvious…

Yay re-used holidays… I really do hope that these re-used events are some kind of a hint regarding how the team worked on bigger things. If not, well, edit time to keep on living without expecting anything else than what’s explicitely delivered.

What do you guys think? :-)

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

(edited by VergilDeZaniah.3295)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think they’re going to muck it up and do something stupid with the LS ending.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Dehuang.2053

Dehuang.2053

My favorite updates from last year was Halloween, Wintersday and SAB, so i’m fine with the re-used holidays, plus we get to have more achievements, possibly new skins and more collections to go through >:D

I WANT a reason to farm the Mad King’s clock tower this year. anet pls

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Why couldn’t they have used the 2012 version of the festivals??

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Re-used holidays are a staple. Even in GW1, they really didn’t change much (at least at first) and after that it was just a few new quests added here or there. So…completely expected from my perspective at least.

shrug Not unhappy, I sort of liked whooping the Prince.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

I sort of liked whooping the Prince.

All 30 seconds of it! If even that.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Before they even released the holidays, the Devs said they would be re-released. I was surprised it was different the next year. I’m not sure what was expected. As noted, they were pretty much the same thing year after year after year in GW1….just new hats.

It’s really more about the ambiance. Looking forward to the holiday releases just as I have for the past nearly 10 years. =)

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Hopefully those reworked rewards removed the kitten candy corn/skulls/fangs/nougats grinding (as in each of the upgraded ones takes only 250 of the first instead of 1000). But I’m not getting my hopes up, cause it’ll probably be something like not it takes 1500 of them instead. They should have just re-released 2012 version (though I guess there’s still the chance of MK dungeon coming back and labyrinth being worth doing).

Wintersday should be fine.

If they know the ending of the LS, why not give us a day for that too in the article? Hopefully its more ‘memorable’ than the Scarlett ending.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

“Both of these releases will feature the same content as last year but with refreshed rewards, giving you fun new festival-themed items to earn.”

I am really interested in this part. I like hats and backpieces as much as the next Charr, but the rewards for 2013 Halloween vs. 2012 Halloween in terms of loot drops aren’t even in the same ballpark. You all hit a homerun with the items we were getting in 2012.

Can we look forward to better drops this year? There really was no reason to keep repeating the content in 2013 after you got the achievements as there wasn’t any traditional loot. 2012 was really good on that front. If it doesn’t happen for Halloween this year please keep this in mind for Wintersday.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

This all seems a bit exciting. Festivals and LS just in time for a slow period of work. Hooray!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

“…visit places that have only been rumored to exist. "

Mursaat city.

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Orr will sink back and losing his goal Trahearne will go into Maguma jungle to usurp all our glory?

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

LS will be ending? EXPANSION CONFIRMED!

/jk

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

/jk

He said ’something stupid, not something that would make sense and has been asked for by many :/

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

Wait, can you see these posts? Awkward……

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Well that would be consistent with the entirety of the LS so far, so.. why not!

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

Lets all make fun of Palador instead of the “story”, Woooo!

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

I liked the ending of the first part of the LS2, also the ending of LS1…
I’m just waiting for the return of the LS to start playing again (or new PvP maps/modes, whichever comes first lol)

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

I must say I’m extremely impressed at how well you take all this non-stop and nonconstructive criticism… I’d say sorry for the players… but I can only speak for myself… I think you’re doing a good job though if that helps.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Personally i felt this LS lackluster when it comes down to LENGTH. I mean it’s like playing half of what S1 gave us (excluding the fail Scarlet). All events in this LS took place in 1 map that opened slowly. The new map is not bad if u go over the intensive lag it makes.

As kitteneason1 was…i clearly remember the first time robots appeared on a map..then on another..then on another..then the attack on one of the most iconic capitals in the game. After that the marionette….after that LA fight. Everything in it definitely felt more epic and long…making it seem like a serious fight. It also took more people to do..which gave the impression it’s something hard where everyone should contribute. This has it’s good sides and it’s bad sides…but overall gave it the feeling it was a long tedious fight against something big.

Now …if i think of S2..i don’t remember honestly anything important. A new small map opens up that has lag, but interesting mechanics. Funny thing is the most interesting part was the Charr story and the sacrifice Rytlock did… Definitely more memorable then anything else that happened in S2 lol.

The scenes which we got in other maps were extremely short and they all led to the new map in the end…so the overall feeling is everything took place in 1 map.

Compared to this think of the S1…we were having fights on numerous maps that continued for quite some time….+ i feel like the timelength overall of S1 was much greater then S2.

I dunno…..S2 feels very lackluster…and hearing it ends soon makes me go “meh..really?…that’s it?” Practically sacrificed quantity for quality…the quality is definitely better ..u have to be dumb not to see that….but this is an mmo….quantity is a major point. That’s why ppl desperately ask ANet for expansions..because of the very small quantity of actual content we receive.

The quality of the LS story is at a good level by my standards…but the quantity that should have kept me playing is half of what S1 was.

That’s my personal opinion atleast.

(edited by Rebound.3409)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

I must say I’m extremely impressed at how well you take all this non-stop and nonconstructive criticism… I’d say sorry for the players… but I can only speak for myself… I think you’re doing a good job though if that helps.

Agree

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

If you’re not joking.. You’re saying some expressing concerns that the story will continue to be bad is “non-stop and nonconstructive criticism”, but mocking them is considered "doing a good job ". Sweet.. just wanted to get that strait.

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

Lets all make fun of Palador instead of the “story”, Woooo!

Not making fun of Palador at all. He has been a good contributor on the forums and I have read many of his ideas and discussions on CDI. It’s a friendly dig.

Chris

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

Agree

Thanks Cure and Yar,

It’s all part of working on a game together. We have to take the downs with the ups.

The community in general has been pivotal in the evolution of the game and long may that last.

Chris

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

Eh, for the most part they do fine anyway and the complaints are generally baseless or minor. And they usually do what’s reasonable once players point it, like expanding the refunds available with the wardrobe change after player input.

They only thing I’ve ever been severely disappointed on, even admittedly to the point of hostility, was the completely unreasonable two year silence on condition damage. Thankfully they finally broke that just a few days ago. Though unfortunately it was to reveal that they’re still planning to try to figure out what to do with it.

EDIT: Well that and admittedly I do not nor will ever think RNG cash shop loot is an honest way of making money.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: HerpDerp.6582

HerpDerp.6582

This will be my first holliday event since starting gw2 and i am pretty excited (especially after remembering the ones in gw1 fondly). Looking over the wiki descriptions of the last two events, i really hope the rewards are more along the lines of the 2012 compared to the 2013. That chainsaw gs and other skins are awesome and I would love to have the option to get something equally creative and sinister looking. However most of the 2013 skins left much to be desired (im looking at you batwing gs). The devs have introduced plenty of cool stuff in the past and i am really hoping they pull through on this one!

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Now now…Let’s not Bicker and Argue over who killed who… This is a Happy Occasion!

We want… another Shrubbery! Alongside this one perhaps a little lower to get a level effect, and a path!

Whiteside, “Your Mother was a Hamster and your Father smelled of Elderberries!”

English K-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-niggit

Posted by: HerpDerp.6582

HerpDerp.6582

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

Eh, for the most part they do fine anyway and the complaints are generally baseless or minor. And they usually do what’s reasonable once players point it, like expanding the refunds available with the wardrobe change after player input.

They only thing I’ve ever been severely disappointed on, even admittedly to the point of hostility, was the completely unreasonable two year silence on condition damage. Thankfully they finally broke that just a few days ago. Though unfortunately it was to reveal that they’re still planning to try to figure out what to do with it.

EDIT: Well that and admittedly I do not nor will ever thing RNG cash shop loot is an honest way of making money.

Unfortunately since server space/maintenance, and balancing, and content development (even though they get some flack on this one) all costs money and they are not receiving dues each month from the player base. With the costs of keeping an MMO up and running ever-increasing, and with a F2P model, they will find some way to keep the money flowing in. Honesly, i think GW2 does a really great job of finding the balance between paid and earned content. That being said, more new content would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

This is a good example of the sort of communicating being talked about in the main thread. Hope to see more of this in the coming months.

Looking forward especially learning more about Tyrias dark past now!

Where do u get the info by the way? Saw nothing on the homepage

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Personally i felt this LS lackluster when it comes down to LENGTH. I mean it’s like playing half of what S1 gave us (excluding the fail Scarlet). All events in this LS took place in 1 map that opened slowly. The new map is not bad if u go over the intensive lag it makes.

As kitteneason1 was…i clearly remember the first time robots appeared on a map..then on another..then on another..then the attack on one of the most iconic capitals in the game. After that the marionette….after that LA fight. Everything in it definitely felt more epic and long…making it seem like a serious fight. It also took more people to do..which gave the impression it’s something hard where everyone should contribute. This has it’s good sides and it’s bad sides…but overall gave it the feeling it was a long tedious fight against something big.

Now …if i think of S2..i don’t remember honestly anything important. A new small map opens up that has lag, but interesting mechanics. Funny thing is the most interesting part was the Charr story and the sacrifice Rytlock did… Definitely more memorable then anything else that happened in S2 lol.

The scenes which we got in other maps were extremely short and they all led to the new map in the end…so the overall feeling is everything took place in 1 map.

Compared to this think of the S1…we were having fights on numerous maps that continued for quite some time….+ i feel like the timelength overall of S1 was much greater then S2.

I dunno…..S2 feels very lackluster…and hearing it ends soon makes me go “meh..really?…that’s it?” Practically sacrificed quantity for quality…the quality is definitely better ..u have to be dumb not to see that….but this is an mmo….quantity is a major point. That’s why ppl desperately ask ANet for expansions..because of the very small quantity of actual content we receive.

The quality of the LS story is at a good level by my standards…but the quantity that should have kept me playing is half of what S1 was.

That’s my personal opinion atleast.

Totally agree. I don’t even have have any interest to replay any of these instances
a second time .. so i don’t care about that its replayable .. in LS1 i wasted much more
time and had lot more fun.

Heck i even just need to watch LS2 on YouTube .. its something that isn’t really
connected to the game .. just another instance in a parallel universe .. while LS1
changed the real world.

Nope .. instead LS we will get now 1 raid every 6 months .. and a new tier of armor
since that will “save the game”

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Don’t forget the first half of this season was really good so far and had a lot of dev advancement over season 1.

The long break kind of stumped a lot of us… (isn’t a season supposed to be contiguous :p) but stuff happens. Guess they just had to do it this way time wise. Once it does return I’m sure we’re in for something good.

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

Agree

Thanks Cure and Yar,

It’s all part of working on a game together. We have to take the downs with the ups.

The community in general has been pivotal in the evolution of the game and long may that last.

Chris

There wouldn’t have been any criticism if you guys didn’t go and ruin the masterpiece that was created by the core team. but instead you prefer to deal with all the negatively and all….Hire back the core team, get rid of the living story and now we got a game worth logging in again….

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

If you’re not joking.. You’re saying some expressing concerns that the story will continue to be bad is “non-stop and nonconstructive criticism”, but mocking them is considered "doing a good job ". Sweet.. just wanted to get that strait.

There is ‘expressing concerns’, and then there is simply ‘slinging mud and bile’.
While some of the former happens, far too much of the latter drowns it out.
But, therein lies that double-standard again, eh?
It’s okay to mock, belittle, deride and name-call so long as you are bashing the game and ANet in as vitriolic a way as possible.
But anything other then that?? Sacrilege!

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

There wouldn’t have been any criticism if you guys didn’t go and ruin the masterpiece that was created by the core team. but instead you prefer to deal with all the negatively and all….Hire back the core team, get rid of the living story and now we got a game worth logging in again….

This is what is called NON constructive criticism. This is the best way to encourage the devs NOT to listen to you. Feel free to edit your post and flesh out your idea by using examples and a moderate language.
You’re not the only one that Living Story does not belong to GW2. However this does not dispense you from justify it.

And personnaly, I think that living story is a nice concept that sets GW2 apart from the horde of WoW clones in the MMO market. It gives me a reason to come back just to see the end of the story and the new lore that comes along.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Youre announcing the expansion after LS2 right?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

Yes, it can be awkward, you’ve got that right.

Here’s the way I figure it:

• News today
  • Holiday event (beloved holiday event) tomorrow
  • Good stuffs coming in Living World

This is good. This is very good. And I’m glad most of you can see that.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Actually I want to apologize for my recent obnoxious comments. I have been trolling FF14 msge boards across the internet because they announced an expansion and im just angry, and some of it is spilling here. Sorry devs, I <3 you

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

FYI: Things need fixin.

Get back to work and blog us something to keep us “fans”, please.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

• News today

Last year’s Halloween events were beloved? I could’ve sworn it was the 2012 version that everyone liked.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

• News today

Glad to see at least you guys are having fun. :I
#JustEmoThings

Seriously though. Hopefully I will finally have some fun with these holiday events.

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Now now…Let’s not Bicker and Argue over who killed who… This is a Happy Occasion!

We want… another Shrubbery! Alongside this one perhaps a little lower to get a level effect, and a path!

Whiteside, “Your Mother was a Hamster and your Father smelled of Elderberries!”

English K-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-niggit

. (-:

Chris

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

I’m looking forward to all of this, but srsly it’s 2014 and i’m still waiting for the gods to return so i finally can play a gw2 version of FoW and UW. Can’t you just bring all dragons up at once to fasten things up a little bit?

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

Posted by: Titus.4285

Titus.4285

Happy Holidays Chris and Gaile! Your replies to this thread really made me smile and looking forward to see His Majesty Oswald Thorn again!

Why did the Seer chase after the Eidolon?

Let the Kings and Queens of other lands and lesser creatures
witness our wonders and cry out in astonishment and humble themselves.
Beware our mighty works.

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Happy Holidays Chris and Gaile! Your replies to this thread really made me smile and looking forward to see His Majesty Oswald Thorn again!

Why did the Seer chase after the Eidolon?

. (-:.

I am looking forward to getting into the action with everyone to.

Chris

P.S: And Happy Holidays to you to Titus and everyone.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I have not been around for a seasonal event before in this game. I’m excited to see what’s going to be available.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

So can we get some confirmation that season 2 will run for more than three more episodes? Or will it be the 4th and 18th of November and December 2nd then another break?

Season one must have had twenty, thirty episodes, season two will have had seven. Not exactly going in the right direction IMHO.

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I really want to know what’s being done in terms of adding to character progression. I distinctly remember back a year a ago, there was a blog by Colin in which he said Anet will regularly add new skills and traits to progress characters.

Has there been a change of plans?

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I just hope they some how bring back the first dungeon. It too was fun and I miss it. :‘( :’(

Can’t we wail on both mad king and the prince?

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Here’s hoping the 2012 skins/minis are available this year.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Why couldn’t they have used the 2012 version of the festivals??

So we’re both disappointed, me I wanted an Halloween that made sense you know, a real 2014 Lion’s Arch the one that is destroyed, not going back in time and pretend it wasn’t because it saves on new work.

However if it does happen in the LA that was destroyed I’ll be happy. If we have to go back in time and pretend, I’ll most likely will pretend there is no 2014 Holloween.