Yay, news: Point of No Return!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Either the game is fun, and you play it, or it isn’t and you stop.

If only the world was truly as black and white as you seem to view it. Though I find it funny that in one post you mention how your logging in to the game has dropped some recently, and yet here you are saying either play or don’t.

Given that attitude, since your log ins have already started dropping, you may as well just stop, since clearly you don’t find the game as fun as you once did.

I’m not going to draw an artibrary line in the sand after which it’s time to leave. That just makes no sense…

It doesn’t make sense to try and hold on to something you once enjoyed? To give things a chance to change?

The reactions you describe as not making sense? Those would be emotions, and the human condition. Your inability to understand them would suggest you aren’t actually human, Vayne.

So what planet did you come from, and does our yellow Sun give you super powers?

I log in because I still find it fun. However, I used to find it fun to log in at other times, when my guild wasn’t around. There was stuff I had more fun doing solo. Those times I tend to log in less, because I’m not having as much fun. I log in when I am having fun. Not so sure why that’s hard to understand.

And yeah, in this case, it is that black and white. If you’re enjoying a GAME you play the game and if you’re not enjoying the game you don’t play it. Playing a game you’re not enjoying makes no sense.

My issue isn’t with that anyway. My issue is with the attitude that somehow anyone should be encouraged to leave the game by X date. Why X date? Why not Y date? If there’s nothing new on halloween that means the November 4th update won’t be great? It makes no sense at all to me.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

My issue isn’t with that anyway. My issue is with the attitude that somehow anyone should be encouraged to leave the game by X date. Why X date? Why not Y date? If there’s nothing new on halloween that means the November 4th update won’t be great? It makes no sense at all to me.

I think that people should leave or stay because they want to leave or stay, not because of some kind of “call to arms”. Personally, I haven’t played since the last feature pack. There isn’t anything in the game to interest me anymore so I doubt I’ll log in until November 4th when I will log in, I’m looking forward to season 2 continuing as the first 4 episodes are the best content they’ve added for the Living World, IMO.

I just hope that the season won’t end on December 2nd, seven episodes for a season is just too short IMO. Likewise taking six+ months a year “off” from the Living Story is not going to work, for me, at least.

Ultimately, regardless of whether or not I’m missed I simply won’t log in and won’t be buying gems and those may be missed if enough others feel the same way.

Vayne.8563

I think that people should leave or stay because they want to leave or stay, not because of some kind of “call to arms”. Personally, I haven’t played since the last feature pack. There isn’t anything in the game to interest me anymore so I doubt I’ll log in until November 4th when I will log in, I’m looking forward to season 2 continuing as the first 4 episodes are the best content they’ve added for the Living World, IMO.

I just hope that the season won’t end on December 2nd, seven episodes for a season is just too short IMO. Likewise taking six+ months a year “off” from the Living Story is not going to work, for me, at least.

Ultimately, regardless of whether or not I’m missed I simply won’t log in and won’t be buying gems and those may be missed if enough others feel the same way.

The games profits aren’t significantly down and hours played and unique log ins aren’t significantly down, and this is with a lot of competition coming out. No one is going to be missed unless/until a really good MMORPG comes out.

Until then, I don’t see this game in any kind of danger whatsoever. And by then, there’ll probably be lots more content. Just a guess.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

I log in because I still find it fun. However, I used to find it fun to log in at other times, when my guild wasn’t around. There was stuff I had more fun doing solo. Those times I tend to log in less, because I’m not having as much fun. I log in when I am having fun. Not so sure why that’s hard to understand.

That’s the point of my whole rant actually. You might find less fun in the game and hope for a brighter future. If it doesn’t happen, you might find less and less fun in the game until you stop/have a break.

I’m there right now. I’m having fun but far less than before. If the next part of LS2 is not as rivetting and lore-based as it is advertised as, I daresay I’ll have a break from the game until they do indeed add enough content for me to play for more than one hour before doing the same things over and over again.

It’s not “play or don’t”, it’s rather “play when you want to and have a break before you hate it”.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Happy Holidays Chris and Gaile! Your replies to this thread really made me smile and looking forward to see His Majesty Oswald Thorn again!

Why did the Seer chase after the Eidolon?

I feel sorry for you, he did not bite the bait.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Vayne.8563

That’s the point of my whole rant actually. You might find less fun in the game and hope for a brighter future. If it doesn’t happen, you might find less and less fun in the game until you stop/have a break.

I’m there right now. I’m having fun but far less than before. If the next part of LS2 is not as rivetting and lore-based as it is advertised as, I daresay I’ll have a break from the game until they do indeed add enough content for me to play for more than one hour before doing the same things over and over again.

It’s not “play or don’t”, it’s rather “play when you want to and have a break before you hate it”.

See this is very convenient, but it’s not what you wrote. These are your words from the OP:

" Yay re-used holidays… I really do hope that these re-used events are some kind of a hint regarding how the team worked on bigger things. If not, well, time to move on."

The words “move on” to me, doesn’t mean cut down your hours of playing. Move on means to leave something behind and not come back to it. We all know what it means to move on in life. Move on in our job career.

Moving on has a certain implication. It’s definitely not what you’re saying here. If it’s what you meant, I’d edit your OP for clarity.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

The games profits aren’t significantly down and hours played and unique log ins aren’t significantly down

I’m curious, how do you know that?

VergilDeZaniah.3295

See this is very convenient, but it’s not what you wrote. These are your words from the OP:

" Yay re-used holidays… I really do hope that these re-used events are some kind of a hint regarding how the team worked on bigger things. If not, well, time to move on."

The words “move on” to me, doesn’t mean cut down your hours of playing. Move on means to leave something behind and not come back to it. We all know what it means to move on in life. Move on in our job career.

Moving on has a certain implication. It’s definitely not what you’re saying here. If it’s what you meant, I’d edit your OP for clarity.

My bad then, it was more of the idea to move on from my usual hype to a more “carpe diem” idea. The French expression that is translated to move on could be understood as “I won’t be thrilled or excited by what is not released, I’ll keep on advancing no matter what, and won’t hesitate to come back to it”.

Son of Elonia.

Vayne.8563

The games profits aren’t significantly down and hours played and unique log ins aren’t significantly down

I’m curious, how do you know that?

Well we know exactly how much the game makes in terms of sales from the NCsoft quarterly report. I follow several sites that track games, links found in this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Tracking-Guild-Wars-2/first#post4500520

Edit: As a side note, you can also look at google trends which tells you how often Guild Wars 2 is searched for.

Edit 2: Another note. When SWToR did worse than expected, they laid off half their staff. When TSW did worse than expected they laid off a third of their staff. No company could cover that up, much less a public company like NcSoft. Oh…and Anet is hiring. This is something you don’t do if you’re losing money or close to dying.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Posted by: Titus.4285

Titus.4285

I see a lot of people complaining about how the content has been drastically reduced from season 1 to season 2.

I just wanted to give the other side of it a voice:
Yes, quantity has been reduced. But the quality has gone towards another ballpark completely. When I saw ArenaNet taking a “season break”, I was really happy about it!

It tells me that they’re not trying to rush out loads and loads of content. They want to make sure it’s GOOD content – which really lives up to their original philosophy of “when it’s ready”.
Mind you, this isn’t content you should rush. That WILL make you disappointed.
Take your time, explore the small things and details put in. Read all the written dialogue, and you might find it worthwhile.

I feel bad for the developers. Last year we complained about quality. This year, someone else is complaining about quantity.

Hehe. I’ll give it another try… Why did the Seer chase after the Eidolon?

Let the Kings and Queens of other lands and lesser creatures
witness our wonders and cry out in astonishment and humble themselves.
Beware our mighty works.

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

Can’t wait to check out the new rewards

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I only have a few concerned about using last year’s Halloween:

1) I really miss the short dungeon for fighting the Mad King from 2012, don’t know why that couldn’t simply be added in so that we can help fight his return every year along with his son the Bloody Prince

2) The story line last year was was the DISCOVERY of the Bloody Prince. If it is exactly the same this year it is rather silly because the NPC will be acting like last year never happened and we are discovering him all over again.

Beyond that I’m great with Halloween event. If they could simply add a portal to Thorn’s dungeon and rewrite the script a bit so that we aren’t pretending that the previous year never happened, I’d be extremely happy.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

(edited by Invictus.1503)

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I really loved the dungeon of 2012, and I really hate the clock tower that I’ve never been able to complete. I don’t mind the Bloody Prince return.
I just want to be able to farm mats and rewards like crazy for two weeks. THAT’s what I like most about the festivals. Of course Mad King says is always fun.

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

can i has vampire dress

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I see a lot of people complaining about how the content has been drastically reduced from season 1 to season 2.

I just wanted to give the other side of it a voice:
Yes, quantity has been reduced. But the quality has gone towards another ballpark completely. When I saw ArenaNet taking a “season break”, I was really happy about it!

It tells me that they’re not trying to rush out loads and loads of content. They want to make sure it’s GOOD content – which really lives up to their original philosophy of “when it’s ready”.
Mind you, this isn’t content you should rush. That WILL make you disappointed.
Take your time, explore the small things and details put in. Read all the written dialogue, and you might find it worthwhile.

I feel bad for the developers. Last year we complained about quality. This year, someone else is complaining about quantity.

Hehe. I’ll give it another try… Why did the Seer chase after the Eidolon?

This because they sacrificed one thing completely for the other, instead of balancing. As i said in my post…u have to be dumb not to see the quality improvement….but this is an mmo…and mmos need quantity as much as quality. The lack of quantity combined with these huge..literally huge breaks, and the story that even as good is it was, didn’t make me care about anyone in it apart from Rytlock, gave this season a very lackluster feeling compared to the first. Let’s take a bet how many will remember S1 (for the good and bad that it had) and let’s see how many remember what happened in S2. I bet u anything almost everything that happened in S1 is still embedded in most people’s memory.

ANet practically did a huge mistake (from my pov) in going from one extreme to another. In this case quantity&quality. Extremes are never good in any situation including IRL. There always needs to be a balance.

I will consider Season 2 a sacrificial season. S1 was for them to see if quantity without quality works. S2 is the exact opposite. S3 will be the season that shows if they learned from their mistakes and their successes.

PS. The majority of people who play mmos in particular don’t care so much for story as they do about actually playing the game and being kept interested through gameplay. Story is more of a single player feature and even there it’s ignored most of the time.

I think u will see more discussions about “wow did u participate in that epic fight? it took hours but we finally did it” rather then “waw did u see the reaction on her face? they kissed!”…. seriously now.

(edited by Rebound.3409)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think they’re going to muck it up and do something stupid with the LS ending.

That’s the spirit!

. (-:

Chris

Well, as much as I won’t get my hopes up, prove him wrong with the content.

Exactly. We are doing our very best to do just that.

Chris

Cantha expansion confirmed and promised, get hyped!

Thanks, you guys, I almost lost hope. RNG, Barack Obama, manifesto, content. Did I cover all the buzzwords?

You forgot “slap to the face”.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Thyrm.8352

Thyrm.8352

I want trebuchet launched Asuran Special Forces so bad…..

Chris

Off topic I know, I know.. Ashes on my head.

I give to ye: Shakes & Fidget – Gnomination (Sorry can’t find the english version, it disappeared after they ran in some trouble with the publisher)

Back to lurking.

Attachments:

Up the Irons.

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

I want trebuchet launched Asuran Special Forces so bad…..

Chris

Off topic I know, I know.. Ashes on my head.

I give to ye: Shakes & Fidget – Gnomination (Sorry can’t find the english version, it disappeared after they ran in some trouble with the publisher)

Back to lurking.

. (-;

Chris

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Ya know, I quoted a couple of Monty Python Holy Grail lines on the first page since they summed up this thread so well. Our feels are all over the place based on speculation. We do that a lot. Myself included.

The Holidays are also a good time to stop for a minute and count our blessings. I’d like to give a Laurel and Hardy handshake along with a Big Hug to the folks at ArenaNet who make our game more than just a bunch of binaries.

Gaile – The Spice Cake was wonderful and so are you.
Chris – Yur a good sport. Glad I don’t have yur job.
John Smith – Stable. How do you put out so much work without being twins?!?
Jon Peters – You finally proved to me that balance is more than nerfs. Yum, Crow.
Colin – So, yur the one doing all the heavy lifting huh?
Mike – They’re gone. It’s safe to come put from under the desk now.
Devs – Repeat after me: “Bring me your Problems, not your Solutions.”

I’ve played every day since Pre to the tune of about 3,500 hours. Uh… at 60 bucks that works out to about 1.7c per hour. Best money I spent in a long time.

Sincerely,

M. Foy aka Tal San

(edited by MFoy.3284)

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Ya know, I quoted a couple of Monty Python Holy Grail lines on the first page since they summed up this thread so well. Our feels are all over the place based on speculation. We do that a lot. Myself included.

However, The Holidays are a good time to stop for a minute and count our blessings. I’d like to shake hands and give a Big Hug to the folks at ArenaNet who make the game more than just a bunch of binaries.

Gaile – The Spice Cake was wonderful and so are you.
Chris – Yur a good sport. Glad I don’t have yur job.
John Smith – Stable. How do you put out so much work without being twins?!?
Jon Peters – You finally proved to me that balance is more than nerfs. Yum, Crow.
Colin – So, yur the one doing all the heavy lifting huh?
Mike – They’re gone. It’s safe to come put from under the desk now.
Devs – Repeat after me: “Bring me your Problems, not your Solutions.”

I’ve played every day since Pre to the tune of about 3,500 hours. Uh… at 60 bucks that works out to about 1.7c per hour. Best money I spent in a long time.

Happy Holidays to you to.

Chris

Posted by: Vrava.6937

Vrava.6937

Me to!

I am looking forward to getting into the action with everyone to.

Chris

Chris, you’re killing me. “Too.” “Too.” :-P

Valento.9852

Me to!

Chris

I’m not a grammar kitten but I was about to say the same!!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

/sighs in relief as others point out the error over which she was gritting her teeth

But Chris at least uses capital letters. The one thing that drove me nuts about my supervisor was her emails with no caps, very little punctuation, and lots of “u” instead of “you.” She’s a lawyer! We’re all lawyers! I don’t mind casual typing in forums and personal emails (much) but for official emails about legal matters? /tears out hair

And, to not totally derail, I am psyched to see the next LS chapters. The Machine was such a wonderful surprise I’m eager to see what other mind-blowing things the LS can bring.

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Me to!

Chris

My English has always been bad (-: Folks get annoyed at it here too (-: (Note: I just had to ask for the right ‘To/Too’ then by the way)

Chris

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

/sighs in relief as others point out the error over which she was gritting her teeth

But Chris at least uses capital letters. The one thing that drove me nuts about my supervisor was her emails with no caps, very little punctuation, and lots of “u” instead of “you.” She’s a lawyer! We’re all lawyers! I don’t mind casual typing in forums and personal emails (much) but for official emails about legal matters? /tears out hair

And, to not totally derail, I am psyched to see the next LS chapters. The Machine was such a wonderful surprise I’m eager to see what other mind-blowing things the LS can bring.

Right I promise to you that I will do my best to improve.

Chris

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Me to!

Chris

My English has always been bad (-: Folks get annoyed at it here too (-: (Note: I just had to ask for the right ‘To/Too’ then by the way)

Chris

Oh…Chris…

If you know in your head that you could swap “to/too” for “also” or “as well” then the one you want is “too”. And just in case – “two” is the number.

Hope this clears it up.

Happy Halloween patch!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Me to!

Chris

Chris

Oh…Chris…

If you know in your head that you could swap “to/too” for “also” or “as well” then the one you want is “too”. And just in case – “two” is the number.

Hope this clears it up.

Happy Halloween patch!

That is what the guys and girls in the room just explained to me (-:

Chris

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Note they are all laughing at me now!!!

Chris

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

I get this all the time. They are very mean to me.

Chris

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Chris

Give us names! I’ll use my Quaggan tonic to hit them :O

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

The forums and the office! Who’d be a game developer??

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Chris

Flannum! He is the worst!

Chris

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Chris

Flannum!

Chris

Grabbing my broomstick and heading to Seattle! (ETA: within 2 weeks)

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Chris

I’m so sorry, Chris. I would hug you, but I blame you for anything that was ever wrong with the game by default.

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Chris

I’m so sorry, Chris. I would hug you, but I blame you for anything that was ever wrong with the game by default.

And that is how it should be. I completely understand.

Yoroiookami.3485

Chris

Remember that quaggans love you!

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Youre announcing the expansion after LS2 right?

I’m absolutely sure that the community as a whole is expecting something big at the end of the LS2, that anet desires it, that it’s an excellent opportunity to do it, and finally that, if nothing happens, there’ll be a lot of tears. :P

Valento.9852

Chris

Don’t mean to be evil, but that’s a relief! Keep up the good work!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Chris

I dont blame chris, I blame the lil quaggan devil on his shoulder telling him to do things that make us mad in game.

In truth, all quaggans are evil

Yoroiookami.3485

Chris

I dont blame chris, I blame the lil quaggan devil on his shoulder telling him to do things that make us mad in game.

In truth, all quaggans are evil

Hahaha! Love this post. XD

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Awww, c’mon. Let’s cut him some slack. Whiteside is doing pretty good on four hours of sleep a night. Besides, isn’t that how they spell it in England to?

Posted by: xvalkyrie.6742

xvalkyrie.6742

This is where I’d like to direct everyone’s attention to Al Yankovic’s Word Crimes… (YouTube it, you know you want to chair dance while at work)

I kinda hope that we get the year 1 holidays, like the mad king’s mini dungeon and scavenger hunt for the book backpiece, in addition to all the year 2 prince stuff. The prince alone felt like it was lacking, (I know the mad king was there in year 2, he just seemed to take a back seat to the price story line last year) maybe it’s just my gw1 nostalgia peeking out again. :-) Either way, Halloween is fun but I love wintersday, super looking forward to that!

Valkyrie – [RMPG] Blackgate
Altaholic, can never have just one!

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Awww, c’mon. Let’s cut him some slack. Whiteside is doing pretty good on four hours of sleep a night. Besides, isn’t that how they spell it in England to?

I see what you did there!!

Chris

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

Anybody have any idea on where the patch notes are for the halloween update. Mr John Smith said he regretted how much they made the halloween stuff cost last year and I want to see if it was fixed.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Patch notes are not up yet.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.