You Can Do ALL (almost) the Things Still

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

Hold Your Ponies! you CAN do almost everything you used to be able to do with the old system. I posted this in another thread but after some thought I felt it would be nice to post it here and let people know.

This is accurate after making a new character last night and getting it to level 20 (which took me about 2 hours).

You can do almsot ALL of that stuff without ever leaving your home city, FYI. They TEACH you if you haven’t already known of those functions (You know for NEW people). If you already know how to do it, just do it. There are only a few things you can’t do.

What You Can Do At Level 1:
Dodge
Dye Armor
Harvest Materials (go into the city when you get outta the first story and buy some Gathering Tools form a crafting master)
Craft Items (just talk to the guy like before and learn the discipline)
Use the Trading Post
You can Visit Vistas AND PoIs you just aren’t directed to them.
WvW or PvP (Use Hot Keys to open the panels or go to LA from Home City to access the Asura Gates)
Can Use Wardrobe just open it up
Can use Minis
Can Access your Bank/Guild Bank
Can Access the Guild Panel Hit G
Can do Jumping Puzzles (I did Morgans Spiral at level 3 and the secret troll one at level 2 just to see)
Can Map Complete and get rewards for it.
The Combat stuff is true and locked behind a leveling curve that is significantly increased (It only took me 30 minutes to get to level 10 where all my weapon skills for ALL weapons were unlocked)
At level 13 about 45 min into a new character I unlocked my first Utility skill and as such unlocked Skill Point Challenges. Also, you can use Knowledge Scrolls at any level to learn new healing skills if you don’t like the first one.
EDIT: you also unlock the 1-10 Personal Story at ten and can do the whole arc at once. I did that at level 13 and it got me to level 17 and have a LOT of nice goodies and included the Black Lion Key.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

(edited by Paradox.1380)

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Dye Armor
Can use Minis

http://youtu.be/D-On3Ya0_4Y?t=6m10s

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

At which level can you ask your pet to stop attacking?

Posted by: Alasia.9502

Alasia.9502

When I can do the story like it used to be without worrying about my level?

“An ill-fated love.”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Five. Which comes very fast.

Posted by: DDCarvalho.2071

DDCarvalho.2071

Paradox post can be based in a new character on an old account (with level 80’s), and maybe this video is based on a new account in which the other Character tabs are really locked.

Anyway, my experience is that the skill gating with weapons before was much better, and it was fun. Playing with a friend, he was happy whenever he got a new skill to use, and he gained each skill by killing stuff.
I have not tested the new system but level gating is not fun and doesn’t help people learn the game better in my opinion, unless a lot of focus is given to the new abilities in each level (like a check to see if the new ability is being used by the character).

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

Hopefully, level 1. You know, like it used to be in Guild Wars 2, and Guild Wars 1.

Actually, I’m not entirely certain if you could get a pet at level 1 in the first Guild Wars as I always did the starter quests before doing the ranger quests. But, I think the only thing necessary to get a pet and all of its basic commands in the first Guild Wars is to do the first quest that gives you your first couple of skills, and then walk over to the NPC that gives you the pet quest. I’ve never actually tried it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Dye Armor
Can use Minis

Not sure what this links to, as I’m not really a youtube-link person, but I made a new character and used the Wardrobe and dyed my armor at Level 2. I didn’t pull out a Mini, as I have none in Wardrobe, so…I can’t really speak to that.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Dye Armor
Can use Minis

Not sure what this links to, as I’m not really a youtube-link person, but I made a new character and used the Wardrobe and dyed my armor at Level 2. I didn’t pull out a Mini, as I have none in Wardrobe, so…I can’t really speak to that.

Its some guy called Magic Mike. His video shows the wardrobe sections being locked until level 6. My guess is that its account bound lockage and that we don’t see it. Something that is working.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Paradox.1380

Dye Armor
Can use Minis

This video is in accurate and was filmed before they fixed bugs.

You get your Pet Panel at level 5, its Alt Skill at 14 I believe.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Dye Armor
Can use Minis

Ah, or this.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Paradox.1380

Personal Story Arcs unlock every 10 levels now, and liek the Living Story you get to do the whole arc as one episode and its much more rewarding than it was before.

Lishtenbird.2814

Removing something which had a locked icon and a “This feature is locked until level 6” tooltip is not “fixing bugs”, it is “making undocumented changes shortly after release”.

Paradox.1380

Removing something which had a locked icon and a “This feature is locked until level 6” tooltip is not “fixing bugs”, it is “making undocumented changes shortly after release”.

They ARE locked on brand new accounts. However it was a bug that they were locked anywhere else. and the biggest whining on the forums is because of people and their precious alts… which my post was about the things that AREN’T locked if you know where to find them.

Lishtenbird.2814

and the biggest whining on the forums is because of people and their precious alts…

I can’t agree that the “biggest whining” is limited to “our precious alts”, though. The biggest whining is about treating players as five-year-olds and the direction the game is heading, which goes for both categories – old and new.

By the way…

which my post was about the things that AREN’T locked if you know where to find them.

If you already know how to do it, just do it.

“Hello, I’m a brand new player who read about the awesome wardrobe, and dyes, and minis and bought the game to roleplay! Wait, wha… Why the hell can’t I change my armour dyes and apply skins and get an Ember to RP with my friends?!”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

In some ways you always had to worry about your level, but from the other direction. Now, when it unlocks, you can do the entire arc at once. I find it better for me, and in fact, used to do that anyway. But I paid the price by doing it by having crappy rewards.

Paradox.1380

and the biggest whining on the forums is because of people and their precious alts…

I can’t agree that the “biggest whining” is limited to “our precious alts”, though. The biggest whining is about treating players as five-year-olds and the direction the game is heading, which goes for both categories – old and new.

By the way…

which my post was about the things that AREN’T locked if you know where to find them.

If you already know how to do it, just do it.

“Hello, I’m a brand new player who read about the awesome wardrobe, and dyes, and minis and bought the game to roleplay! Wait, wha… Why the hell can’t I change my armour dyes and apply skins and get an Ember to RP with my friends?!”

Heh, No that is not what I think this is really about at all. Also Level 6 happens in the course of about 5-15 minutes if you follow the new guide they put in for the most part. Also, I am fully in support of the game gating you off until you have at least one character that has learned the mechanics, etc. I know this system isn’t perfect there are definitely things that could be tweaked, etc. But, I’m all for the effort to help teach new players the basics.

Also, hearing about something doesn’t mean you know how to do it.

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Ironically the first 6 levels were the slowest and hardest for me, because I wanted to explore and it was clear I was expected to stay in one spot and do one or two specific tasks before moving on… I was playing with a friend so I was able to get away with running off to level 7 areas right away but without her doing all the combat it may have taken me even longer to get through the first handful of levels.

But I know that this update was intended for people very unlike myself, because I was happy with the old ways, and then spent over 4,000 hours playing the game instead of quitting it soon after starting like the demographic anet is aiming for now.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Dye Armor
Can use Minis

This video needs its own topic, it must be highlighted and arenanet MUST see it. The bug with the content guide pointing you to above level content is hilarious and misleading and is worse to new players than any prior system in the game.

Im actually QUITE surprised that there aren’t threads complaining about the guide leading them to zones where they get one shot, but then again, if they are the type of player to need and use the guide, forums are probably WAY too complicated and confusing for them.

I’d be embarrassed if I was an Anet employee working on this system.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Lishtenbird.2814

This video needs its own topic, it must be highlighted and arenanet MUST see it.

Here’s the thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-perfect-video-describing-our-NPE

Also Level 6 happens in the course of about 5-15 minutes if you follow the new guide they put in for the most part.

You said “you can do these things on level 1 if you know how to”. I said “you can’t, the game doesn’t let you”. Saying “okay, but you can in 5-15-150-1500 minutes” doesn’t really change the fact that you can’t do it straight away

Im actually QUITE surprised that there aren’t threads complaining about the guide leading them to zones where they get one shot, but then again, if they are the type of player to need and use the guide, forums are probably WAY too complicated and confusing for them.

If no one complains about something, good chances are that nobody (who can and want to report problems) really uses it. An example of it are some mesmer bugs on skills which turned out to be bugged and got fixed to the surprise of bug section frequenters.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Paradox.1380

This video needs its own topic, it must be highlighted and arenanet MUST see it.

Here’s the thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-perfect-video-describing-our-NPE

Also Level 6 happens in the course of about 5-15 minutes if you follow the new guide they put in for the most part.

You said “you can do these things on level 1 if you know how to”. I said “you can’t, the game doesn’t let you”. Saying “okay, but you can in 5-15-150-1500 minutes” doesn’t really change the fact that you can’t do it straight away

If no one complains about something, good chances are that nobody (who can and want to report problems) really uses it. An example of it are some mesmer bugs on skills which turned out to be bugged and got fixed to the surprise of bug section frequenters.

You are confusing my words with TWO topics. My OP is about people with ALTS. All of that stuff is Unlocked at level 1 if your character is an ALT…

If you are a brand new player From what I have seen some more features are locked away.

The Guide is just there to point you where nearby things are. It does not direct you to the nearest thing for your level, just the nearest thing period.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

The part that I hate the most is the third utility skill coming at 35. The lack of elite skills hurts dungeons, but the cooldowns are normally long enough that you wont miss them too much in normal roaming.

The utility skills were some of the most fun parts. You can’t even skip the accursed level gating on them with the birthday scrolls that only get you up to 20, also it’s left me with a weird situation on my ranger where it kept the unlocked slots, but wont let me change them. So until she gains another ten levels she’s stuck with signet of the hunt on and its bonus movement speed making her sword 3 miss due to rolling past enemies.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

tldr
excuses and some more excuses

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Thia.4891

Thia.4891

Can I do the ‘Greatest Fear’ storyline? No? Then I’m still mad.

(Sigurdas MoonEyes and Ronja) (Myrin Crowneguarde) (Yarza Steelfang) (Luqq) (Nevnia)