You DO NOT want gliding in main tyria [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amaranthe.3578

Amaranthe.3578

the maps weren’t designed with gliding in mind like maguma
it will kitten it up
and anet knows this to be true
the only reason anet might add this eventually is to encourage the weirdos who didn’t buy the expac to do it because they will see gliders in the starting zones
say no to gliding in main tyria

Posted by: Rio.4259

Rio.4259

Don’t tell me what I don’t want.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

As you are not on the design team you don’t know if they have worked out a way for it to work. And for all we know it will only be in certain zones and in certain areas. It may only be in that one area shown on the vid (orr). As it sits now we know nothing more than what we have been shown so instead of saying that WE don’t want something, maybe wait till all the facts are in first.

Posted by: Amaranthe.3578

Amaranthe.3578

arrrrrrg

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

They can just disable it in JP areas and cities. Pretty sure that’s what they’ll do.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

If they can disable it in certain sections of maps then there’d be no issue, as they can disable gliding in JP and dungeons (including fractals – which is the spot I would consider the biggest hassle since most jp go upwards, not downwards – gliding would allow shortcutting the ‘climb down cliffs’ part of Snowblind and Volcanic and trivialize some of the jumps in Solid Ocean). It won’t be a big deal to glide elsewhere, except for breaking out of the map – and in those cases, ArenaNet will fix when they’re found.

It’s no doubt going to be a bit of a patchwork job unless they put a lot of their overtime working on it, but that doesn’t mean it’ll be bad.

It wouldn’t surprise me if, over time, they intend to add updrafts, speed mushrooms, adrenaline mushrooms, and bouncing mushrooms to the original maps. It would make sense, in fact, for them to add such over time.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they’re waiting on Season 3 to release such.

But honestly, all I want is gliding in cities. And fewer invisible walls in the Grove and Rata Sum. Give us more to explore there…

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: Telemin.7380

Telemin.7380

Why do you not want gliding in core Tyria? What exactly will it ‘kitten up’?

Teh Ouchies

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Oh noez gliding will trivialise already trivial content what ever will we do?!?!

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

You do have to wonder why anyone would NOT want this.

Besides, it would be a great way to sell more HoT.

Posted by: foxcat.4096

foxcat.4096

My battered corpse lying at the bottom of a cliff after forgetting you can’t glide in core Tyria lays as a testament to the demand and need for gliding .

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I absolutely do want gliding in central Tyria. Throw in some downdrafts near points that are supposed to be tricky to get to, disable it entirely in JPs, and make sure your invisible walls are up so people can’t fly outside the map and you’d be good to go.

Yes, it would make map exploration slightly easier… but that’s ok! If it were easier to get around the central Tyrian maps, maybe more people would be more inclined to putter about in them.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

The op forgot to add a GIF of the hypno toad

0/10

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Posted by: Sinope.5630

Sinope.5630

I DO WANT gliding in main Tyria (I am like a kids, when mother says DO NOT, it means DO IT).

I think it is wonderful to have gliding in main Tyria. It is wonderful to jump most highest peak of main Tyria and little by little gliding down safely. I prefer to come down softly. I do not want to have anymore those kind of landings what we can see in those “Ultimate fail compilation” videos. It is frustrating to see my character to land on her/his face.

So yes please, give us gliding in main Tyria

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Considering that JP’s tend to have an upward jumping pattern and that gliding works on a downward motion, I fail to see how gliding will have a significant impact on JP’s aside from possibly saving people from falling to their deaths and possibly recovering at a lower level of the JP.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Can you explain to the audience your reasoning? I think we’re all a little curious why you wouldn’t want it.

1) Gliding is super fun and probably the star of the new expansion.
2) Fantastic advert for HoT.

Looks like players and Anet will enjoy this change, what are your actual objections? Other than “it will kitten it up” obviously..

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Don’t talk to me like you know me.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: clarkcd.6532

clarkcd.6532

No, I really do.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

I swear if the world rained gold, some of you would still complain.

I think this idea is amazing, honestly I don’t know why it wasn’t implemented at HoT launch, but i’m so glad they’re implementing it. It would be great for new players, and also for old players, we can glide while doing Legendary collections in Tyria.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

As I already said once, there are multiple simple fixes to jumping puzzles.

- Disallow gliding near jumping puzzles
- Add a start to each jumping puzzle which you have interact with or trigger which disables flying and gives you a buff. You need the buff to open the chest at the end
- Make jumping puzzles ‘similiar’ to adventures

And looking at recent “changes” to older farm methods (for example key farm) I could imagine that they might disallow looting the chest if you haven’t done the jumping puzzle earlier. Meaning parking alts at the end of jps wouldn’t work anymore.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Will be cool, will also be a lot of problems for the map boundaries. No change in the screaming on forums since that is always on forums so not a huge deal.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

As I already said once, there are multiple simple fixes to jumping puzzles.

- Disallow gliding near jumping puzzles
- Add a start to each jumping puzzle which you have interact with or trigger which disables flying and gives you a buff. You need the buff to open the chest at the end
- Make jumping puzzles ‘similiar’ to adventures

And looking at recent “changes” to older farm methods (for example key farm) I could imagine that they might disallow looting the chest if you haven’t done the jumping puzzle earlier. Meaning parking alts at the end of jps wouldn’t work anymore.

That might have an extremely interesting impact on the price of Doubloons, marks, nuggets and pebbles. Right now there are an unknown number of chars parked at JPs just for opening chests for mats in that range and for silver doubloons. Remove those chars and silver doubloons and their mystic forging components are likely to go up. Considering that silver doubloons range from 1 to 2 gold each already, ANet might hesitate to stop alt parking at chests unless they wish these items to go up in value.

Silver doubloons
Chests opened by characters from level 21 to 35.
Mystic Forge, rare reward from throwing in 4 random Pebbles, Nuggets, Marks or Copper Doubloons.
Map bonus reward from the Brisban Wildlands for week 8.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

There’s a really quick fix for the JP. If you don’t want to cheapen the experience, don’t use it.

[DONE]

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I do want gliding in the core game. I have wanted a chute in the core game for almost 4 years now…. (yes, ever since I set foot in this game, which was during the second press beta). With those beautiful mountains to climb which shout “jump!”, this game was made for gliding (especially after playing Aion)

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

That was the reason that ANet gave when they first talked about gliders, but it’s probably also the reason why the devs are testing it out now: to see if it really does break core maps that much.

Without updrafts there aren’t many JPs that would benefit from gliders, the only ones that I can think of that might have some benefits are:

• Branded Mine in Fields of Ruin (part of the puzzle is higher than the goal)
  • Behem’s Gauntlet in Blazeridge Steppes (the goal is at the bottom of the puzzle)
  • Pig Iron Quarry in Fireheart Rise (the suspended trolley section)
  • Troll’s Revenge in Lion’s Arch (shortcuts can be taken)
  • The Collapsed Observatory in Kessex Hills (first part of the puzzle involves jumping down)
  • Dark Reverie in Caledon Forest (only for getting down after Morgan’s Leap though)
  • Drydock Scratch in the Silverwastes (good for parts of the puzzle, but it has a checkpoint mechanism to prevent full skipping)
  • Only Zhul in Timberline Falls (jumping down and avoiding bursts of fire part)

With the exception of Troll’s Revenge and Pig Iron Quarry, all of the puzzles that would benefit from gliding are underground. ANet could make it so that there’s a permanent downdraft in caves (or very vindictive falling rocks that just wait for you to deploy your glider) that force you down if you try to glide.

One universal benefit in JPs will, however, be using gliders to prevent deaths from missed jumps. I think JPs are frustrating enough without the added “fun” of having to WP and trek back to the start because of a slippery rock.

That aside, ANet will have to address breaking out of maps, but they should be able to implement the same invisible walls that prevent us from gliding out of the Lost Precipice guild hall or the currents that force us back onto the map whenever we try to swim out of Orr.

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

This is probably a bit of a non-issue, but one concern I’d have with gliders during jumping puzzles are the jumps you need to be very precise with. It’s soooo easy to mistakenly open your glider when jumping in Maguuma. I can’t imagine how frustrating some JPs would be if you mistakenly glide and fail because of it (ie. with a downdraft).

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

You DO NOT want gliding in main tyria

Of course I do. Your mind reading does not work very well.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

it will kitten it up
the only reason anet might add this eventually is to encourage the weirdos who didn’t buy the expac to do it because they will see gliders in the starting zones

Just another post from somebody who believe, that gliding would make JP’s in Tyria too simple…

I tell you something… learn something about PHYSICS… Gliding brings you NOT UPWARDS. None of the Central Tyria Maps has anywhere by design UPDRAFTS to push you higher into the sky.

Means, where ever you use gliding in central Tyria, leads you to sink downwards to the ground, while all the JPs in central Tyria go upwards, or are in some kind of points, where you can’t glide to, because they are in enclosed areas.
To have any easier tiem with a JP in central Tyria, you would have to find first a way higher position than the JP, to have a chance to glide to the JP’s position.

But none of the central tyria maps except of Dry Top and Silver Wastes do even have any big verticality in their map design at all.

So please stop moaning an complaining about gliding making JPs easier, as this is simply not true at all.
Anyone who says this is true makes just only a fool out of him/herself

Simple Example:

Viziers Tower JP – there you have to jump upwards to reach the JP and there is nowhere a higher point than the JP tower itself, that you could glide from to reach it, before you touch the ground again, even if you have eternal eglide endurance

Buriend archives, again ,you have to jump upwards to reach that spot, no place higher there to glide to it…

The maps maybe weren’t designed to have gliding in mind, but Gliding in itself provides a very nice quality of life feature, that can be seen as horizontal chracter progression that would be STILL HELPFUL for all tyria maps as like also in the new WvW maps to have.

A FREAKING FALL DAMAGE STOPPER!!!

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Wolfs Shadow.7234

Wolfs Shadow.7234

it will kitten it up

Why are you telling us what we want?

I vote yes to gliding it adds another perspective and lets be honest the world designs in this game are gorgeous. I want to see it from TOP of the world!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The only reason it matters that the core maps weren’t designed with gliding in mind is due to how much work it might take to make them gliding-ready. I love gliding — that alone is nearly worth the cost of the expac — it’s just so much fun.

Of course, we players are going to stuff things up when we really experiment and ANet will (very, very slowly) fix bugs and nerf exploits. But that’s what happens already with regular maps.

tl;dr Gliding is awesome.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: BaconReaper.5719

BaconReaper.5719

This is a good way to advertise HoT. Nearly everyone wants it, and if your kitten about it, just don’t glide, change the hotkey.

BUT THE REAL QUESTION IS. Are there going to be updrafts? Because it would be weird walking around The Grove or Brisban Wildlands with big updrafts above your characters heads.

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

They can just disable it in JP areas and cities. Pretty sure that’s what they’ll do.

My thoughts as well.

Posted by: Ironwill.5389

Ironwill.5389

I expect that they are just going to add gliding to Orr and other level 80 areas (this is a level 80 mastery after all).

Biggest complaint from most PVE-ers is that Orr is stuck in a pre-Zhaitan mode.. might mean that there’s an update to the zone (yay!)

Dry top and silverwastes would also be pretty neat with Gliding (specifically the dry top jumping puzzle.. anything that reduces the corpses at the bottom of the cliff can’t be a bad thing) It might be interesting to see the interaction between the jumping crystals and the glider.

It is a big carrot to try to get people to buy HOT, it brings interesting gameplay to the original zones for those that aren’t impressed with the design direction of the new zones.

I would expect that it’s a new mastery (Tyrian Gliding mastery) that you’ll have to grind out like the original one. Hopefully there’s new mastery points added to the zone as well (this will probably screw up map completion for non-Hot players though.. so not sure how they’re going to handle that one).

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I guess we will see Orr becoming part of the next livign story, so that it will be a reason for Anet to update the orr maps (and hopefully make also more parts of Orr explorable with new maps , as theres still huge parts of orr not explorable yet)

I would like for example to explore the place, where the dead Zhaitan crushed to the ground, turning large parts that were the ruins of arah dungeon into actually a big persistent explorable map where the dungeon currency becomes practicalyl the MAP currency, so that they can completely remove ruins of arah as dungeon from this game.

They simply should implement the feature of Phasing, so that Orr receives practically different persistent time instances.
So all people which havent played through the story and haven’t beaten zhaitan yet, land on the isntance where the old orr is with all the undeads ect.

People which beated zhaitan and play on season 3 land than actually in the new orr instances that play several years later there in a different looking orr map now that enables us to use gliding ect. if we own HoT..

Anet is discourage us to play the dugneons. so i personally would have absolutely no problem with it, when they completely removed all the dungeons from the game as part of reworking the maps under living story changes and use then the old dungeon tokens as new map currencies. That way not much would change.

Functionally all dungeons could be then redesigned as Fractals, to keep the achievements/titles all intact.

Once this has been done, ANet can then come up with a better fresh reiteration of a new Dungeon System, once the game has been cleared first from the old crap that didn’t worked out very well and come up with something, that is actually more modern and more desgined with current style of design work that Anet does.

The story parts of the dungeons were never heavily linked to the overall story of the PS, so I doubt anyone would miss these parts of the personal story, if there wouldnt be anymore the story dungeon instances as well.
I just thin, if Anet is already discouragign us to do not dungeons anymore willingly, i think they should make it right and just remove the unwanded content in a clean way to create and replace the free space somewhen later in the future with something better added in its place.

And with that I mean Dungeons, that actually are real dungeons and not some multi path instanced crap with unmodern ugly 2D story telling that doesn’t fit to the rest of the story tellign of the game by its style anymore, content, that is functionally the exact same as like Fractal – so why not actually make Fractals out of them and turn the reward stuff into map currency rewards for explorign the maps under living story 3 new in an actual time setting,

This would fall for me absolutely under “improving old content, before making experimentations with new things”,

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: BaconofPigs.1683

BaconofPigs.1683

You do have to wonder why anyone would NOT want this.

Besides, it would be a great way to sell more HoT.

Please don’t assume everyone WANTS this. Everyone who doesn’t have the expansion certain either DON’T WANT IT or DON’T CARE, which many DON’T WANT IT. Please stop with the DLC charge. It’s not < Pay to Win > as “killing or winning a match” per se, but it’s certainly is < Pay or Fall > or < Pay to Win > as in “winning because we can glide”!

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I guess we will see Orr becoming part of the next livign story, so that it will be a reason for Anet to update the orr maps (and hopefully make also more parts of Orr explorable with new maps , as theres still huge parts of orr not explorable yet)

This is a MAJOR part of the story that should really have been told by now but yes it would be interesting to see if anything comes of Orr now.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I might actually ENJOY wiping Lornar’s Pass with some gliding in there. I can’t wait!

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

I’d love gliding in core Tyria. ANet only has to do 2 things to make it possible:

• Surround all playable areas with infinitely high, invisible walls, so you can’t glide out of map
  • Add some nasty crows to jumping puzzles, that attack gliders on sight (Or add a jumping puzzle starter to the beginning that gives a buff so you can neither glide nor use portals, but you need the buff to loot the chest. This would also make camping jps impossible.)
Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

Doesnt have to do with area design.Otherwise how do you explain that they allowed flying in vanilla wow maps?And in Tera they will add flying mounts too with the next big patch.

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

As you are not on the design team you don’t know if they have worked out a way for it to work.

I would prefer to see them work on something more important like fixing bugs, finishing raid paths, legendary weapon acquisition, fixing WvW problems, adding new fractals, ect…..

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

“work on something more important” >< “raid paths” “legedary weapon acquisition”… … … Yeah… okay.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Right… Mounts, Gliders, what will be next? Riding a dragon?

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Right… Mounts, Gliders, what will be next? Riding a dragon?

Hyenas with AA guns.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

How about Hyenas that bark instead of howling, like the real things do!

#yesistillhaveabeeinmybonnetaboutthis

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

How about Hyenas that bark instead of howling, like the real things do!

#yesistillhaveabeeinmybonnetaboutthis

So long as they lose the cripple effect they could have rainbow angel wings and sing old Led Zeppelin songs for all I would care. Actually if they sang Led Zep songs I may actually want to see them occasionally.

#stairwaytoheavenftw

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

gliding in central tyria will do three things :
1) the money going to way point near jumping puzzles will dramatically fall.
2) people will make challenge videos of themselves gliding across the whole map in one go.
3) have a backlash of people failing jumping puzzle because the held the space bar too ling and glided off.
no gliding in cities is a must as that’s game due to home instance areas. but
the majority of jp in tyria go upwards, as gliding is a decline it won’t break them. at most you’d have a dramatic drop in deaths. and to those saying it will break jp’s can you please give an example of a jp and how gliding will break it. hopefully with a video link to the jp most I’ve ever heard is that griffin rock you can glide over first climb so you don’t need to take A) the falling damage from the first jump. and agro the first giffon group. everything after that is an accent, at most you save your self 10 seconds on the bomb clock.

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

I swear if the world rained gold, some of you would still complain.

Although a regular coin dropped from an airplane won’t kill you, a gold one (like the Gold Eagle bullion coin) stands a very good chance. In the apocalyptic wealth redistribution weather system you describe, the survivors may well complain… depending on who/what they lost and what it/they were worth to them.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

What exactly will gliding break? Aside from less than a handful of jumping puzzles, what else can gliding negatively affect on the map?

Nobodies said exactly what this will break.

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

And why do we have a +1 button but not a -1?

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Change is scary!

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.