You DO NOT want gliding in main tyria [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Even most JPs won’t get much out of gliding, in most of them you have to jump UPWARDS where gliding is useless. Even in those that do, gliding will be just another tool to solve the puzzle, like ride the lightning, Jump shot, Leap of faith, etc.
Sure there’s some potential for map breakouts, and that will have to be solved with higher “invisible walls” but i’m guessing those are probably solved by changing the y/z axis component of a string of code.
All in all gliding all over will be fun, and will be the first tangible thing that f2p people wil see HoT buyers having that they’ll want. And its high time we see some of the jungle masteries bleed into core tyria.

Posted by: SoulSin.5682

SoulSin.5682

It will make risk jumps a lot easier tough.
In the end its more Air Time and More distance.

Plus you won’t die if you fail a jump.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Right… Mounts, Gliders, what will be next? Riding a dragon?

Hyenas with AA guns.

Be prepared…

/sing

Posted by: pariah.5093

pariah.5093

As you are not on the design team you don’t know if they have worked out a way for it to work. And for all we know it will only be in certain zones and in certain areas. It may only be in that one area shown on the vid (orr). As it sits now we know nothing more than what we have been shown so instead of saying that WE don’t want something, maybe wait till all the facts are in first.

This is anet we’re talking about. If they did find a way for it to work, then end result will be countless other things.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I swear if the world rained gold, some of you would still complain.

I think this idea is amazing, honestly I don’t know why it wasn’t implemented at HoT launch, but i’m so glad they’re implementing it. It would be great for new players, and also for old players, we can glide while doing Legendary collections in Tyria.

Of course we would because it would cause inflation thus whatever we have on the TP committed will be cheapened.

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

A lot of Tyria is already quite vertical, and gliding in certain areas is going to be a blast. Sure, it will add a few JP skips and some map breaks, but why is that a problem when there are already ways you can do that? I do want gliding in central Tyria.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Do not tell me what I want, I do want gliding in central Tyria.

Arena Net are not idiots, they are modifying each map to take gliding into account.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

It will make risk jumps a lot easier tough.
In the end its more Air Time and More distance.

Plus you won’t die if you fail a jump.

Still won’t break most JPs.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

Don’t tell me what I want, you’re not my real mum!

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

You can say no to gliding. I’ll wave to you as I fly over you.

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Ill happily take my gliding in Tyria thank you.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

…and instead consider giving some different form of traversing the environment.

The world of Core Tyria is much more flat than the HoT areas, and there is truly not many cases where we’ll actually need it. All gliding will do is give players immunity to fall damage, and mess up the mechanics of many jumping puzzles.

I think what upsets the players, isn’t the fact that they cann’t glide in Core Tyria, as much as it’s “not having any traveling mechanic”.
…that, and them falling to their deaths from Divinity’s highroads because they forgot they can’t glide!…

Instead, if you want to give some cool traversing mastery to the old world that badly, consider giving some sort of mount. Sure, it isn’t that useful for actual traveling with the huge amount of waypoints, but you can think of some clever uses for them besides an increase in speed. Then have one mastery for each of the five locations of the Vanila game (Maguma, Hoelbrack, Kryta, Ascalon and Orr), that gives a different mount that fits the theme of that area, and progressing each mastery would unlock more abilities for that mount.

If you want to allow gliding somewhere, consider just the big cities. It’s a cool place for all traveling methods to be available simultaneously regardless of location and expansion.

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

As a way to boost sales for HoT, I can think of nothing better than adding gliding to core Tyria.

I admit, I’m biased, since I want to use my glider in the main game – but it would also showcase one of the cooler aspects of the expansion.

So, to be contrary, yes, PLEASE, bring gliding to core Tyria.

Also, no mounts.

Posted by: Cale.5372

Cale.5372

no to mounts for the 1000x

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

@kite – I’m curious how you’ll feel about it if gliding does come to central tyria. Will you staunchly refuse to use it or will you backflip?

Ironic name, btw.

Posted by: Rio.4259

Rio.4259

No to mounts (for the 1000th time).

Yes to gliding.

Also…gliding will mess up JPs…..but flying mounts…won’t?

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Man I KNEW this was gonna’ be another mounts thread.

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

no to mounts yes to gliding sorry op i like gliding never liked mounts in any game

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I flipped a table after reading the first sentence.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: clarkcd.6532

clarkcd.6532

No mounts. Yes gliding.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

How do you know it will ruin JPs? I will not say much about that until I have seen the result becouse for what we know at the moment is that you will be able to glide in Orr and probably in the rest of the world but we don’t know if it will be locked in JP areas.
Mounts in my opinion will ruin GW2 even more than you think Gliding will.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

Mount thread #918827756123 confirmed.
kitten

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Please DONT give Gliding to Core Tyria…

No. I like to have gliding in Core Tyria.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

No mounts thanks. I like gliding.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

There are JPs in HoT maps a couple of them actually. One you need LeyLine Gliding for, and there is one inside Tarir where you go up and up and up.. It was a blast and guess what, gliding didn’t ruin it at all. Just so you’re aware the argument that Gliding will ruin JPs is not a strong one and if that’s all you got sorry it’s not a good enough reason to not add a feature like that.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

The world of Core Tyria is much more flat than the HoT areas, and there is truly not many cases where we’ll actually need it. All gliding will do is give players immunity to fall damage, and mess up the mechanics of many jumping puzzles.

I think what upsets the players, isn’t the fact that they cann’t glide in Core Tyria, as much as it’s “not having any traveling mechanic”.
…that, and them falling to their deaths from Divinity’s highroads because they forgot they can’t glide!…

Instead, if you want to give some cool traversing mastery to the old world that badly, consider giving some sort of mount. Sure, it isn’t that useful for actual traveling with the huge amount of waypoints, but you can think of some clever uses for them besides an increase in speed. Then have one mastery for each of the five locations of the Vanila game (Maguma, Hoelbrack, Kryta, Ascalon and Orr), that gives a different mount that fits the theme of that area, and progressing each mastery would unlock more abilities for that mount.

If you want to allow gliding somewhere, consider just the big cities. It’s a cool place for all traveling methods to be available simultaneously regardless of location and expansion.

We don’t want mounts, nor do we need mounts in this game. This game have waypoints, and a lot of waypoints. It is by far the fastest way to travel. And gliding is more about exploring then using for travel since again, waypoints are faster if you just want to move from point a to point b.

Posted by: psyt.9415

psyt.9415

Disable it near jumping puzzles

Posted by: Phyxrgon.7305

Phyxrgon.7305

I don’t want mounts(waypoints make mounts meaningless other than undesired fluff), and I’m sure they’d come up with a reasonable measure for no gliding in jumping puzzles… you’d have to be not that smart to think they’d allow JP’s to become cheese-easy like that.

sarcastic edit: here’s a gif for you.

Jade Quarrior – [HzH] [SF]

Tengu. Make it happen.

(edited by Phyxrgon.7305)

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Oh look, another mount thread.

No to mounts, yes to gliding.

Posted by: Bjarkov.9751

Bjarkov.9751

There is too many wp’s in Gw2 for mounts to be useful…. which btw i find pretty sad :/
With that said i think it will be hard to make mounts fit in to the core world of tyria…

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

You people Isolate a word without reading the full text, asume the rest, and then go bananas.

Gliding is a Very big gameplay changer! It’s addition to HoT changed completely the way we perceive the world. I strongly believe the game currently NEEDS such variety between worlds. Having different gameplay mechanics will do wanders to the fatigue you feel from playing the same game for 3+ years. The more areas feel like another game, the better!
Gliding in the Flat Core Tyria will do little than mess a lot of things up (since the maps got designed without it), and in the long run it would be even MORE useless than Mounts!

How can you people (understandably) Hate mounts for being useless in a game with that many Waypoints, yet are ok to Gliding that’s even More useless in the flat world.

Besides that Link I left wasn’t inteded for Mounts in general, but rather to the first post, where it’s suggested that they’ll could be used as Tools rather than Speedboosts.

It doesn’t have to be Mounts!
You could Rollerscate in Ascalon and Pogostick in Orr for all I care, as long as it’s a different mechanic, and it’s ACTUALLY USEFULL TO THE MAP!

As a way to boost sales for HoT, I can think of nothing better than adding gliding to core Tyria.

As I said. Being allowed just in Cities is Ok. It’s where everyone shows off anyway…

Also, no mounts.

F*** Mounts.
Give me a Pogo stick instead.
But No Gliding.

Wha…?!
Who in his right mind would EVER want Flying in the game? Are you Mad?!

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You people Isolate a word without reading the full text, asume the rest, and then go bananas.

Gliding is a Very big gameplay changer! It’s addition to HoT changed completely the way we perceive the world. I strongly believe the game currently NEEDS such variety between worlds. Having different gameplay mechanics will do wanders to the fatigue you feel from playing the same game for 3+ years. The more areas feel like another game, the better!
Gliding in the Flat Core Tyria will do little than mess a lot of things up (since the maps got designed without it), and in the long run it would be even MORE useless than Mounts!

How can you people (understandably) Hate mounts for being useless in a game with that many Waypoints, yet are ok to Gliding that’s even More useless in the flat world.

Besides that Link I left wasn’t inteded for Mounts in general, but rather to the first post, where it’s suggested that they’ll could be used as Tools rather than Speedboosts.

It doesn’t have to be Mounts!
You could Rollerscate in Ascalon and Pogostick in Orr for all I care, as long as it’s a different mechanic, and it’s ACTUALLY USEFULL TO THE MAP!

As I said. Being allowed just in Cities is Ok. It’s where everyone shows off anyway…

Also, no mounts.

F*** Mounts.
Give me a Pogo stick instead.
But No Gliding.

Wha…?!
Who in his right mind would EVER want Flying in the game? Are you Mad?!

You must have a creative guild. Because our guild hide and seek is about to become glide and seek. This alone will be a massive improvement to our guild get togethers.

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Attachments:

Posted by: Thasanes.6349

Thasanes.6349

Server: Sauce

Posted by: Ray Stonecrusher.6427

Ray Stonecrusher.6427

i vote Yes to Gliding and NO to mounts , u want mounts ? → go play WoW or Lotro or whatever , but i wanted my core tyria gliding ever since i saw gliding in HoT , Unforunately i dont have a beat mount to death.gif ….. I loved the sneaky way they presented it by the way : )

cant wait for the actual release date now

Posted by: Byrath.2601

Byrath.2601

I couldn’t care less if gliding is useful. Its just plain fun to jump off that mountain/tower/tree-top. It was probably my favorite single aspect in Aion.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Well, you can always disable gliding in JP area.

However, the thing is that, anet has and must implement all the features across guild wars 2 and not restrict to one part of the game. Otherwise, that is wasteful development and not consider a expansion if you are not expanding the whole game itself.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

For all of you worried about gliding and JPs, most JPs go UP, not down, so gliding won’t be very useful for JPs. It might save you a few deaths yes but it won’t allow you to finish most JPs more easily.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

You make it sound like i need a mount when i have 100% upkeep 33% faster running on my druid. Also, you can always restrict gliders in jumping puzzle areas.

Posted by: Fade to Black.7042

Fade to Black.7042

yeah agree with OP….at fist i didn`t like the idea but adding gliding do core tyria will have in inpact on jumping puzzles making them immune to dmg.

Instead give dam mounts to travel faster

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Yes to gliding, no to mounts,

For JPs: add some storm gusts or angry birds that only attack flying

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Hopefully they’ll add mounts. The imbecile non-arguments of the anti-mount opposition can go to hell.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Hopefully they’ll add mounts. The imbecile non-arguments of the anti-mount opposition can go to hell.

Not like the mount side have any good counter argument….Oh wait.

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Please DO give Gliding to Core Tyria…

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Correction:

I do want gliding in Tyria.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Just waiting for that SAB genie to pop out and gloat about how he’s transformed the real world.

Posted by: Dsybok.1405

Dsybok.1405

Raise your hand if you were playing for a few days in HOT, then had to go into a central Tyria zone and immediately jumped off a cliff and died. Raises hand. Yeah it would be nice sometimes if I didn’t have to remember you can only glide in HOT.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

They should fix and improve other parts of the game instead of working on useless things like gliding. I don’t care about it at all.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

the maps weren’t designed with gliding in mind like maguma
it will kitten it up
and anet knows this to be true
the only reason anet might add this eventually is to encourage the weirdos who didn’t buy the expac to do it because they will see gliders in the starting zones
say no to gliding in main tyria

It will be just a big improvement for me. Faster traveling, a lot of fun. I don’t care about your opinion so please don’t tell me what other people want :P

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Raise your hand if you were playing for a few days in HOT, then had to go into a central Tyria zone and immediately jumped off a cliff and died. Raises hand. Yeah it would be nice sometimes if I didn’t have to remember you can only glide in HOT.

(Raises hand for myself, and other people).

One time I was on a vista, high up, and I was looking down, wishing I could glide. Then suddenly 2 dead people appeared below me. So, I thought, I’ll do it anyway…. and jumped (then there were 3 dead people down there).

And yep, I’ve jumped from high up in Tyria fully expecting to glide, and had my expectations (and body) dashed to the ground.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)