You DO NOT want gliding in main tyria [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Still don’t understand how gliding can mess with jumping puzzles. Almost all jumping puzzles are horizontal or vertical where you need to jump up all the time. So how gliding (slow descending) can be worse than leap skills or a portal?

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I’m pretty sure I do want gliding in Central Tyria.

But do go ahead and try to tell people what they actually want, as you can see it works very well in your favor.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

But I DO want gliding in Central Tyria! Don’t tell me what to want!

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Yes please, I love gliding!

Posted by: malachi.7503

malachi.7503

gliding. jumping mushrooms. those interesting tunnels all over HoT zones. yes to more diverse travel options. Yes to not falling to my death when I leap from a cliff. Yes to hand gliding across the frozen mountains of shiverpeaks taking in the view.

No Retreat No Surrender

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Still don’t understand how gliding can mess with jumping puzzles. Almost all jumping puzzles are horizontal or vertical where you need to jump up all the time. So how gliding (slow descending) can be worse than leap skills or a portal?

And nevermind the number of precision jumps that gliding would totally bork with. If you’re that kind of pro that can divebomb in and land on a dime, more power to you, but me? I’m slipping right past that “conspicuous” ledge and falling to my death. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

I would love to have gliding in Central Tyria. I find no use for mounts except for arenanet to have another expensive useless item in the gemstore. Waypoints already do what a mount can do but faster. If you can’t afford to use a waypoint then you are doing something wrong as the cost is negligible.

There are way more pros to adding gliding to Central Tyria then there are cons. The biggest is the amount of expansions arenanet will sell because of it. That alone should be more than enough reason for Arenanet to do it. Throw up some invisible walls so people don’t leave the map. Nothing else would need to be done. It might make some JPs easier to do but its not like it makes them impossible with out it. Most MMOs add new stuff with expansions that trivializes old content, normally its gear in guild wars it would be masteries. Not sure why it matters though, its almost 4 year old content who the hell cares if some of it is made eaiser to do.

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

I DO want gliding in main Tyria, and don’t assume that you can tell me what I want.

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Guess what? Gliding is coming to Central Tyria.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/state-of-the-game-update-q1-2016/

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Posted by: Snarftastic.6709

Snarftastic.6709

OP got rekt 11/10 ign

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Me: \o/

OP: (/o_o)/ |_|

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

kurfu.5623

Hallelujah! This should put an end to the arguments.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

No, I wanted gliding in Tyria. And now we’re gonna get it. Deal.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

I am sooooo ready!
This will enhance MY gaming experience to ‘higher’ levels!
I cannot speak for everyone out there, but I simply believe all players will return to those un chartered maps they left behind out of ‘boredom’, only to sail across the skies and find new and interesting ways of getting there to fight for Tyria!
THANK YOU!!!!

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

My body, soul, and bat wings are ready!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Laurie.1698

Laurie.1698

Yay for gliding in Tyria! I can’t wait. No more saying “where’s my glider I need my glider” I can use it anywhere. I’m excited for this. Can’t wait to glide across the skylines

“Do not scorn caring and sympathizing, they are the gifts of a gentle heart!”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I want it,Hurreyyy hype train for gliding in Tyriaaaa

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

Don’t talk to me like you know me.

Good doggie, good boy!

Why would anyone disagree with gliding in Tyria after they make sure there aren’t game-breaking exploits?

Posted by: Razgriz.5923

Razgriz.5923

Doesnt have to do with area design.Otherwise how do you explain that they allowed flying in vanilla wow maps?And in Tera they will add flying mounts too with the next big patch.

I don’t know about Tera, but Blizzard had to redesign all of the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor maps to allow flying. Those maps had been designed to be seen by the air only from flight points.

Posted by: Coyote Trickster.7319

Coyote Trickster.7319

Even if it made JPs trivial..

Most people have done them a billion times now and have probably not done any of them since it use to be a monthly. It might actually make people try them. those who wouldn’t have due to confidence issues.

Having people actually play old content Isn’t a bad thing

Posted by: skigorn.7910

skigorn.7910

I DO want it, the sooner the better.

Posted by: XPilo.5862

XPilo.5862

Yes I want it, in fact I hope add some new pvp maps where gliding is available.

Can’t wait to glide over Divinity Reach.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I would but it’s just not technically feasible and the old maps were designed without gliding in mind. Trivializing jumping puzzles and intentionally maze like or otherwise inconvenient layouts (especially Straights of Devastation and other Orr maps) isn’t something they’d want. Not to mention going through the map potentially. Besides, there’d be no real utility in it anyway for most of the core maps.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I’m impressed, so far. I really did think that gliding would only be in Orr, simply because adjusting all the zones to accomodate gliding doesn’t seem like an easy task. Sounds like they had some people working on this specifically for a while. Hope it goes well.

I look forward to being able to glide off the vista on Mt. Maelstrom.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I would but it’s just not technically feasible and the old maps were designed without gliding in mind. Trivializing jumping puzzles and intentionally maze like or otherwise inconvenient layouts (especially Straights of Devastation and other Orr maps) isn’t something they’d want. Not to mention going through the map potentially. Besides, there’d be no real utility in it anyway for most of the core maps.

Say what? O.o

January 26th. Here it comes!!!!!!!

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

kurfu.5623

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

We will have to keep this thread going for awhile. About a year from now, many may look back at this thread and see we often don’t know what is best long term.

Other games have made their maps extremely tiny by adding faster travel and watched their player base shrink with the world. I sure hope it has minimal effect on the core world.

I love gliding. Especially when you can start out high enough. Not sure where that may be in the core world.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

I wish they introduced guns to shoot gliders lol!

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

What is this! I DO want gliding in CT. I’m hopping on my lvl 3 character or creating a new one and gliding my way TO GREATNESS!

:D

DragonflyDusk.6582

I keep seeing that word. I do not think it means what nay-sayers think it means.

And on another note, are there any ledges I can use to glide over to the UPDATED SHATTERER?

Attachments:

Agemnon.4608

I keep seeing that word. I do not think it means what nay-sayers think it means.

And on another note, are there any ledges I can use to glide over to the UPDATED SHATTERER?

No that map tends to be very flat with short hills even if you could. Updated Shatterer? It’s about time. As for trivializing let’s say you’re playing a single player game. You’re in the early stages and have weak weapons and powers. Now, if you enter a cheat code and get endgame stuff you’ll trivialize the early stuff since the game doesn’t assume you’ll have those resources at that stage. Why utilize skill with low level stuff and abilities when you can nuke everything with endgame stuff that assumes you’ll be in situations where you’ll actually need it?

Also, I like Gravity Falls ^_^

DragonflyDusk.6582

No that map tends to be very flat with short hills even if you could. Updated Shatterer? It’s about time. As for trivializing let’s say you’re playing a single player game. You’re in the early stages and have weak weapons and powers. Now, if you enter a cheat code and get endgame stuff you’ll trivialize the early stuff since the game doesn’t assume you’ll have those resources at that stage. Why utilize skill with low level stuff and abilities when you can nuke everything with endgame stuff that assumes you’ll be in situations where you’ll actually need it?

Also, I like Gravity Falls

Ah, but how exactly is it going to trivialize jumping puzzles? Gliding takes you down steadily, whereas jumping puzzles typically go up, though I think there are a tiny portion that go down. It can keep you from losing all of your progress in some of them and avoid a stack of dead bodies piling up on the ground, but it can’t make that awkward jump for you. That’s more of what I was getting at.

Gravity Falls stole my sanity. =)

Agemnon.4608

Because you’ll have more leeway for jumps giving wider windows to release mouse buttons. On the pirate jumping puzzle (Harathi I think) for example you can jump from a beam to the pirate ship with gliding instead of carefully jumping to the ship’s sails.

Posted by: Kalendraf.9521

Kalendraf.9521

I’m looking forward to climbing the volcano in Mt. Maelstrom and jumping into what must be one of the biggest thermals in the game.

HoD – [CV] Charter Vanguard

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Because you’ll have more leeway for jumps giving wider windows to release mouse buttons. On the pirate jumping puzzle (Harathi I think) for example you can jump from a beam to the pirate ship with gliding instead of carefully jumping to the ship’s sails.

You weren’t using engi rifle 5 (or at least a 33% speed boost that made you jump far enough to land safely) for that already?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

At least now I’ll be able to use my glider again. I got tired of the HoT maps a long time ago.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: guildwarrior.6304

guildwarrior.6304

Jumping puzzles just got a whole lot easier O_o I’m not sure how I feel, I’m for AND against it I suppose.

Posted by: guildwarrior.6304

guildwarrior.6304

I can also get rid of my mud fall trait lol

Posted by: blueberry.2504

blueberry.2504

I do like the idea of gliding in Core Tyria. As long as they block of and put no updrafts next to jps there shouldnt be much of an issue.

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

the maps weren’t designed with gliding in mind like maguma
it will kitten it up
and anet knows this to be true
the only reason anet might add this eventually is to encourage the weirdos who didn’t buy the expac to do it because they will see gliders in the starting zones
say no to gliding in main tyria

Maps “WERE” not designed. The Map designs can be improved. A move towards making the game map friendly towards Flying and maybe even mounts is always a welcome improvement. Don’t stand in the way of progress!!

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

It will not “trivialize” it though. It might make some jumps easier but “trivialize” is not the correct description. “Trivializing” would be like making a ramp that you can walk to the chest rather than doing any jumping at all. Easier, yes. “Trivializing”, no. More fun, YES!

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

the maps weren’t designed with gliding in mind like maguma
it will kitten it up
and anet knows this to be true
the only reason anet might add this eventually is to encourage the weirdos who didn’t buy the expac to do it because they will see gliders in the starting zones
say no to gliding in main tyria

The reason they are adding it to central tyria is because the devs, like us, have done the same mistake of jumping off tall places in Tyria expecting to glide only to fall to their deaths… so instead of having this break of “you can glide here but not here” they’re just making it so you can glide if you have the mastery for it. There’s no updrafts or leylines or need for stealth gliding but at least you won’t crater the ground on a regular basis from absent mindedly trying to glide while in central tyria.

I for one can’t wait.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Jumping puzzles just got a whole lot easier

Not really, they didn’t.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

You could Rollerscate in Ascalon and Pogostick in Orr for all I care

No, you can’t. Orr has a lot of uneven terrain unsuited to pogo-sticking, not to mention all the holes a pogo-stick could get stuck in. Due to it’s long submersion a lot of Orr is also covered with various forms of spongy coral, which doesn’t provide the bounce needed for proper pogo-stickery.

And as for rollerskating in Ascalon? I presume you mean around the Black Citadel, since outside the city the roads are unpaved and would be hell on your wheels and ankles. But rollerskating in the capital cities would be a lot of fun. Good idea!

Posted by: Pelindor.7081

Pelindor.7081

I can think of one JP in particular that will be a real pain to do with gliding: Chaos Crystal Cavern. this is horizontal jumping with lots of held space bar for precision column jumping. The glider will make you glide right past the ideal spot. Any jump puzzles with the particular precision will be painful. Pig Iron Quarry is another that comes to mind, to a lesser extent.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Someone find me the “Deal With It” meme.

GG, OP.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I certainly want gliding in the core game.

I’m sure it will be easy as pie to disable gliding in places like any jumping puzzles that would be cheesed up by gliding, or just redesign the JPs. (Oooo redesign!)

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

While i love gliding and it sounds cool to glide in Tyria, there is absolutely no need this to be happen.

This is like having a skill that one-shots. It is fun but no need and brokes things.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

I can think of one JP in particular that will be a real pain to do with gliding: Chaos Crystal Cavern. this is horizontal jumping with lots of held space bar for precision column jumping. The glider will make you glide right past the ideal spot. Any jump puzzles with the particular precision will be painful. Pig Iron Quarry is another that comes to mind, to a lesser extent.

This game isn’t mario, the jumping controls don’t take holding down space as jumping further or higher, it’s simpler. Tapping space jumps just as high and for as far (holding W before jumping or holding directions in air will alter your trajectory instead). I used to do the same thing shortly after HoT released too cause you’re just so used to that mechanic in platformers, that holding down the jump button means more distance and height.

So just tap space for jumping without gliding.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Mustbeghosts.7043

Mustbeghosts.7043

Man. I am going to die so many times trying to get to the Wizard’s Tower. It’s going to be great.