You can now buy level 80 with real money!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Killance.4158

Killance.4158

… or some wish we could. If Guild Wars dev team decided to put that into the game like many MMO’s have started too, would you support it?

Why or why not?

And the argument “its so easy to level!” doesn’t hold. WoW has the easiest leveling and yet they are the first ones to introduce buying a max level(to my knowledge).

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

If someone wants to pay for that… go for it, I have more than enough tomes for 2 or 3 more level 80’s in my bank.

Personally, I would pay for a profession change over insta 80 any day.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

WoW uses “pay to reach insert level right away” to help sell expansions because expansions in WoW always come with a level cap increase. So, to draw in people who maybe haven’t touched the game in a long time or ever (and, thus, may not have a current max level character), they throw in an automatic level up.

GW1 never raised the level cap beyond 20. HoT didn’t raise the level cap for GW2, and I don’t see them suddenly raising it in the future, honestly. If for some reason they ever did throw such an item on the gem store, I wouldn’t ever buy or support it.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think it would be a bad idea.

One of the (several) reasons for that being that other than spirit shards, Tomes have only one use. Any non-free player that plays long enough will eventually start to get a stack of those. The last thing we need is an item that makes them even less useful.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

This game isn’t like other mmo’s. Level 80 isn’t necessary to enjoy the game. PvP doesn’t require it, neither does WvW. And the most of the best PvE is in the leveling zones.

Posted by: Artemid.3925

Artemid.3925

This game isn’t like other mmo’s. Level 80 isn’t necessary to enjoy the game. PvP doesn’t require it, neither does WvW. And the most of the best PvE is in the leveling zones.

This is why, though it’d be completely unnecessary to add and I hope they wouldn’t, it also wouldn’t be a big deal.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I wouldn’t use it myself, I rarely even use the tomes and scrolls I get. But I know quite a few people have asked for this before and would be happy to see it.

I also think it could be a useful marketing tool. We know that levelling normally doesn’t take very long in this game (even the first time around) and that you’ll get lots of tomes to make it even easier. We also know that you don’t need to be level 80 to enjoy the game, or to play with your friends who are level 80 and that there are still plenty of people in low level zones.

But you have to play the game to know all of that. I know a lot of people who are put off buying any MMO that’s not brand new because they worry that they’ll be behind everyone else and never catch up, or that it’ll take hours and hours of boring grind to get to anything fun. Sure there’s play-for-free now, but if you’re already thinking you don’t want to commit to the game trying it out doesn’t help.

Something like this might help mitigate that – if they sell a level 80 scroll then they can advertise it as “try the game for free, if you like it buy this item and you’re instantly ‘caught up’ to the max level players and can do anything in the game”.

The downside is that you’ll have people who jumped a new profession (or even their first character) to level 80 and don’t know how to play, but we get that anyway.

So I wouldn’t use it, it’s not something I want them to make but I wouldn’t be against it happening and I can see how it’d appeal to some people.

(Although if they do make it they should make it cheaper than the WoW one, which is £40 – the same price as a full game!)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

… or some wish we could. If Guild Wars dev team decided to put that into the game like many MMO’s have started too, would you support it?

Why or why not?

And the argument “its so easy to level!” doesn’t hold. WoW has the easiest leveling and yet they are the first ones to introduce buying a max level(to my knowledge).

You can already do that now.

• Buy gems.
  • Convert to Gold
  • Go gw2crafts.net, from the TP, buy everything on the shopping list.
  • Use appropriate XP boosters (also on the TP).

It’s not “insta-80” (which is easy for veterans, with excess tomes of knowledge), but it gets the job done.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Grim West.3194

The new xp systems introduced with HoT has made level 80 more important, since everything up to 80 is a waste of time. But selling level 80’s isn’t the answer.

They need to scrap the garbage introduced with HoT and go back to the old xp system where everything you did mattered for most content. Now the game funnels you into endless grinds doing specific content (whether you want to or not) and doesn’t give you xp for “Playing your way”. Having fun and being free is punished.

It’s extremely boring and why the mass exodus of players since HoT hasn’t abated.

(edited by Grim West.3194)

Danikat.8537

The new xp systems introduced with HoT has made level 80 more important, since everything up to 80 is a waste of time. But selling level 80’s isn’t the answer.

They need to scrap the garbage introduced with HoT and go back to the old xp system where everything you did mattered for most content. Now the game funnels you into endless grinds doing specific content (whether you want to or not) and doesn’t give you xp for “Playing your way”. Having fun and being free is punished.

It’s extremely boring and why the mass exodus of players since HoT hasn’t abated.

I don’t understand any of this.

If everything up to level 80 is a waste of time, how would scrapping the new system (I assume you mean masteries?) fix it? Everything before then is basically the same as it was, so surely that would just mean it’s all a waste of time?

I also don’t understand what you mean about not everything mattering for most content, and being funnelled into a ‘endless grind doing specific content’. Everything that used to do XP still does and all that XP goes towards your masteries. Sure it’s divided into HoT and Tyrian ones, but it’s still contributing to something.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

No, I don’t wish that, I want those level 80 scrolls for free. glares at the fourth birthday gift

And/or more sources for the tomes of knowledge.

let the sky fall

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

Why is this needed? I don’t play the game more than 2 times a week and I have more than enough tomes and leveling things to level 5 characters over.

It’s not only that the leveling in this game is easy (if you do PvE and whatnot) but you can get tomes INCREDIBLY EASILY. Dailies give them. Fractals give them. Logging in gives them a few times a week. PvP gives them. There’s really no way that I can see someone realistically wanting to buy 80 once they figure out how quickly and easily they can get to 80. Consider your first character to be a tutorial. Consider your second character to be the easiest thing to level.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

If you spend 400$ you should have enough tome of knowledge to actually do it.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

the argument that “well this is ok because someone else does it” doesnt hold either.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Killance.4158

the argument that “well this is ok because someone else does it” doesnt hold either.

It holds if the community wants it.

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

Nice click bait title.

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Why is this needed? I don’t play the game more than 2 times a week and I have more than enough tomes and leveling things to level 5 characters over.

I am in much the same boat in terms of tomes, however, think of it this way… would them offering this service (even though it really isn’t needed) realistically somehow detract from your or anyone elses enjoyment of the game? Except maybe the one who used this service if they have never played the game normally. But is it our job to protect new players from making poor choices, I think not.

Killance.4158

Nice click bait title.

I try.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

the community wants a whole boatload of things, like mounts, housing, and god knows what else. your reasoning still doesnt make sense.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Killance.4158

the community wants a whole boatload of things, like mounts, housing, and god knows what else. your reasoning still doesnt make sense.

My question is this. What reasoning? I’m asking why or why not people say it will or won’t work.

All I said is that saying “too easy to level as it is” is not a valid argument for this thread due to all the easy leveling MMO’s having this service. Just because another MMO has it and a player suggesting it doesn’t mean that player is putting up the argument" they have it so why don’t we?" At least I think that is what you’re suggesting with your comments.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

My question is this. What reasoning? I’m asking why or why not people say it will or won’t work.

All I said is that saying “too easy to level as it is” is not a valid argument for this thread due to all the easy leveling MMO’s having this service. Just because another MMO has it and a player suggesting it doesn’t mean that player is putting up the argument" they have it so why don’t we?" At least I think that is what you’re suggesting with your comments.

The game already have it. It’s just not cheap. It’s the luxary for people who spend a bunch on black lion key.

You should probably also state what you think is a fair price.

Killance.4158

The game already have it. It’s just not cheap. It’s the luxary for people who spend a bunch on black lion key.

You should probably also state what you think is a fair price.

Oh yeah, the black lion crates have a chance to drop them or trade them in for key parts, huh?

Given the time and such, I would say between 50$-100$ range would be fair. Now maybe less if you still have to do the story that starts when you first create the character.

Killance.4158

If you spend 400$ you should have enough tome of knowledge to actually do it.

I don’t think it requires that much money.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I can reach lvl 80 in 2 days just by d€rping around in EotM, so no thanks. If it took a month to level up, then yes, I would buy it.

Edit: Since when is d€rp a bad word? XDD

(edited by Mea.5491)

Grim West.3194

I don’t understand any of this.

If everything up to level 80 is a waste of time, how would scrapping the new system (I assume you mean masteries?) fix it? Everything before then is basically the same as it was, so surely that would just mean it’s all a waste of time?

I also don’t understand what you mean about not everything mattering for most content, and being funnelled into a ‘endless grind doing specific content’. Everything that used to do XP still does and all that XP goes towards your masteries. Sure it’s divided into HoT and Tyrian ones, but it’s still contributing to something.

Before HoT, you could level up in WvW. Before HoT, doing events gave you xp. Before HoT, I didn’t have to do the same content over and over and over and over to learn a stupid mastery just so I could grind the same boring content over and over and over to learn another useless mastery.

Before HoT I played this game all the time, did whatever I wanted, and was rewarded with xp that was useful everywhere.

Now I don’t play anymore. The same is true for many people who hate the new system. This game is pale empty version of what use to be fun and popular. “Play your way” is a lie.

(edited by Grim West.3194)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

You already can, though it is an RNG way, BLK’s open BLC’s and hope for tombs.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

Personally, I would pay for a profession change over insta 80 any day.

^this. You have books for level up. However, if you want to keep your character and change his job, you can’t.

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

Why or why not?

• Buy gems.
  • Convert to Gold

It’s not “insta-80” (which is easy for veterans, with excess tomes of knowledge), but it gets the job done.

Not to mention how many tomes of knowledge you get from black lion chests if you just spent all of that money on keys.

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

With tomes of knowledge and the other upgrades from which you can auto level a character….I don’t see why anyone would have a problem with a paid “advance to level 80” item (at this point in the game). It used to be a source of pride and dedication to have a lvl 80 character in this game….that went away when tomes and all that other crudt was introduced. Pretty much anyone can, on a whim, decide to create a new character and get it to level 80 with exotic gear running within 20 minutes now.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Danikat.8537

With tomes of knowledge and the other upgrades from which you can auto level a character….I don’t see why anyone would have a problem with a paid “advance to level 80” item (at this point in the game). It used to be a source of pride and dedication to have a lvl 80 character in this game….that went away when tomes and all that other crudt was introduced. Pretty much anyone can, on a whim, decide to create a new character and get it to level 80 with exotic gear running within 20 minutes now.

Was getting to level 80 ever really a big deal?

The first people did it within the headstart weekend, people started insisting on level 80’s for dungeons around the first Halloween event (just over a month after launch) and it wasn’t long after that I kept having to explain I didn’t have a level 80 character yet so I couldn’t join in on level 80 content.

Tomes made it easier (although I was under the impression they were mainly introduced to allow PvPers to level up without having to do PvE), but it was never like getting to the max level in other MMOs, especially older ones where people might be accused of lying if they said they’d seen a max level character.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Why or why not?

• Buy gems.
  • Convert to Gold

Not to mention how many tomes of knowledge you get from black lion chests if you just spent all of that money on keys.

I have stacks of them from spvp dailies and tracks. Used to use them for keyfarm spam till they capped it to weekly. Now they’re 95% useless to me, personally. So many of them.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

My biggest issue with an instant 80 package is that, there will be a massive influx of n00bs who don’t know squat about the game. Leveling to 80 is there to prepare you for 80, both by giving you experience in the game and by giving you some base funds and equipment to use. If you have instant 80s, then you have a bunch of players running around in whites you have no idea what dodge is.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Danikat.8537

My biggest issue with an instant 80 package is that, there will be a massive influx of n00bs who don’t know squat about the game. Leveling to 80 is there to prepare you for 80, both by giving you experience in the game and by giving you some base funds and equipment to use. If you have instant 80s, then you have a bunch of players running around in whites you have no idea what dodge is.

They’d have the equipment from the level up rewards. It’s not as good as what you can buy – it won’t be level 80 and I don’t think the stats would all match up, but it’s a lot better than the starting gear.

But now I’m curious about how other games that offer instant max level characters handle problems like this, and not knowing how to play. The only one I know of is WoW and what I can find is mostly reviews from around the time it was first announced debating what might happen and a couple of reviews from when it was first released which focus on the benefits for existing players. So not much info that’s helpful in this situation.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Umm… have people forgotten already that it used to be trivially easy to “buy” level 80?

Crafting all the professions up to 400 used to do it and it cost a pretty modest amount of real money to get the materials to do it. Plus you had full crafting ranks when you were done so you could crank out best-in-slot gear too for your new 80. You know, until the Ascended tier came along and they cut way, way back on XP from crafting.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Yeah, currently we have a bunch of 80’s in exotics who don’t know what dodge is.

Killance.4158

Yeah, currently we have a bunch of 80’s in exotics who don’t know what dodge is.

To be fair, that seems to be a majority of the playerbase who have leveled from 1-80.

Posted by: World War III.3869

World War III.3869

craft to 80 with $$?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It’s been possible since launch. Silly people asking for things that are already in available.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I would if it was Elites…

I miss playing the game because it was fun, now I play the game to grind out elites to be competitive in WvW to be able to have fun.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.