You consider this as an unapropiate name?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HighStoned.5961

HighStoned.5961

hello guys i just want your opinion about this name, Highstoned or Highstoner could be unapropiate? it could be offensive or break any rule?

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Well it does suggest drug use which probably is breaking naming rules

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It could. It seems to suggest drug use, which is against the rules found in the Naming Policy.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-naming-policy/

We do not permit names that:

Reference illegal drugs or activities

You can contact the CS Team via the ‘Support’ link above/below to discuss the issue, if you so desire.

Good luck.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Fun fact: it is allowed on the forum but not in game.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

hello guys i just want your opinion about this name, Highstoned or Highstoner could be unapropiate? it could be offensive or break any rule?

Wouldn’t “Highstone” be a better name anyway than “-stoned” or “-stoner” (whatever the latter is supposed to mean).

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Wouldn’t “Highstone” be a better name anyway than “-stoned” or “-stoner” (whatever the latter is supposed to mean).

That’s exactly what I was going to suggest. IMO Highstone sounds much better.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

It was probably banned due to drug reference how ever I have seen names in game that I have no idea how they got through the filter. Two of them I have seen in the past was Auschwitz and Columbine Shooter like those should not of been able to make it through the filter.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

It could. It seems to suggest drug use, which is against the rules found in the Naming Policy.

This begs the question what constitutes an illegal drug. What’s illegal in one country might be legal in another. So which country’s laws apply here? I’m assuming it’s US American laws, but ArenaNet’s in Washington state and cannabis is legal there, so … questions after questions

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Lmao what is this preschool? Just go with it nobody gives a kitten about that

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Coming up with names isn’t that hard. There’s about a dozen GW2 name generators out there. No imagination required. No excuse.

Quit trying to name your characters after drugs and dirty jokes and you won’t have to worry about it.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Coming up with names isn’t that hard. There’s about a dozen GW2 name generators out there. No imagination required. No excuse.

Quit trying to name your characters after drugs and dirty jokes and you won’t have to worry about it.

They were just asking a question. At least they had the decency to ask first rather than just go with it rather then cry afterwards on the forums when getting a forced name change/ban.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

They were just asking a question. At least they had the decency to ask first rather than just go with it rather then cry afterwards on the forums when getting a forced name change/ban.

I was just offering a solution. Didn’t OP want to get a refund so he could quit this game for good, anyway? They shouldn’t care one way or the other.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

You can contact the CS Team via the ‘Support’ link above/below to discuss the issue, if you so desire.

Good luck.

this ^^^^^ and you can be reported and banned for such names .

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

It doesn’t matter what the players think is appropriate.

You may create a name that translates into something obscene in foreign lands and not know it. To you it’s innocent and accidental, but you have to change the name just the same as if you did it on purpose.

I’ve deleted Lvl 80 characters because I didn’t like their name after a while. I wish we could use a number of Transmutation charges equal to the level of the character to change names.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

It doesn’t matter what the players think is appropriate.

You may create a name that translates into something obscene in foreign lands and not know it. To you it’s innocent and accidental, but you have to change the name just the same as if you did it on purpose.

I’ve deleted Lvl 80 characters because I didn’t like their name after a while. I wish we could use a number of Transmutation charges equal to the level of the character to change names.

There are name change contract for 800 gems on the gemstore.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Actually, it’s a good question because of the legal status of being “stoned”. In some states its legal, including the one Arenanet is based out of, and do you really expect us to believe some anet developers haven’t been stoned in the last week, buying from a legal dispensary? I had a friend initially whose name was a spoonerism for smoking weed, and they did temp ban and force a rename on him on the account of it being a reference to illegal drug use, but at the time, Washington had not legalized it yet. This was within a month of launch (even though he’d had the name in GW1 without a problem or complaint for years), and they didn’t vote on it for another few months after that.

Now that Washington has legalized it, and anet is based out of Washington that makes it more of a grey area, are we going by which set of laws? What’s legal at Anet’s locality? What’s legal at the user’s locality? The state law or the federal law? What if the person lives in Uruguay, Spain, South Africa where it’s legal at a nationwide level?

You can’t claim “well until it’s federally legal in every country it’s an illegal activity somewhere”, because it’s perfectly acceptable to name yourself a reference to drinking alcohol, there are entire guilds revolving around being drunk while playing “drunk raiding” “drunk WvW zergs” etc. It’s perfectly acceptable to talk about buying and consuming alcohol and in fact there in game alcohol that your characters can consume. Yet alcohol is illegal in 16 countries, and used to be illegal in several others including the US.

Some more clear statements by Anet would be appreciated. Not just for naming, but even for discussing it in game, which you will find more of and find more socially acceptable as more and more states and countries move to legalize it. Frankly I’m surprised prohibition of it has lasted as long as it has.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

I have an autoimmune disease and take a medication that’s poisonous to my liver, as a result, I medically cannot drink alcohol anymore. It makes you notice that drunks are every bit as annoying talking about drinking alcohol and getting drunk, as people claim stoners are about weed. They really are basically equivalents socially. People who claim otherwise… just aren’t noticing how much alcohol and being drunk are talked about casually.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: HighStoned.5961

HighStoned.5961

Well, actually i had both names on 2 characters, and got forced to change em, i got a ticket asking about this, it says last activity 28 minutes ago (i created it about 24 hours ago), but has no response yet, as some of you guys say, being stoned (by taking drugs) is legal in a lot of countries, and you can be stoned for other reasons not just drugs, and high got a lot of meanings, so i really dont get why they cant let me use the names… still waiting some response on my ticket, its possible that they can just watch it and leave it like that without any response and take it as attended?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Please contact Customer Support to discuss. This is not something about which forum members can make a policy appraisal.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet