You guys have got to do something.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tarrek.7436

Tarrek.7436

This game is BLEEDING players and a lack on anything activity wise is why. You need to do something. Have another WvW tounament. Have a random bosses start spawning in populated areas. I don’t really care what, but this lack of content is driving people away. I get it. You are working on the expansion. That’s fine, but you can’t neglect the core game in the mean time.
This game doesn’t have the numbers that games like WoW does that makes it capable of surviving long term neglect. The gem store is not content by the way. We need real content even if its just something small to do while we wait. I tried playing WvW a few times over the past few days and it is just dead. Lets get something going guys. Ok?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

They are doing something. They’re making an expansion. Most games have a large downturn in population before an expansion and it picks up after the expansion launches. Anyway I’m sure Anet knows this and has plans for other stuff.

For example I expect a lot of people to log in Tuesday for the open beta of the new PvP type.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

What is the point of such threads? The witcher 3 just came out, you’d expect people to play that. People will come and go and come back, that’s just how it is.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’d be very interested to see the source of this fact of bleeding. Did ArenaNet publish some concurrency numbers somewhere hidden from the rest of us? Please share. =)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There is nothing but anecdotal evidence to say it is bleeding players. The game is in a lull til expac as expected, but people will be flocking back for it. Very few games add content whilst a major expac is being worked on, although id prefer to see festivals added. They did say during LW1 so many festivals were added just so it was easy to bring them in when needed.

As for numbers surviving long term neglect…well it does have huge numbers and it isnt in a period of either long term or neglect. It is in a short term period of no additional content. The game will survive just fine im quite sure.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

This game is BLEEDING players and a lack on anything activity wise is why.

Speculation unless you have evidence (and not anecdotal).
But yes without the hyperbole the core problem is: there isn’t a lot to do in the game (assuming you’re a veteran player). And for this, I can’t really see a simple fix (well except waiting for the expansion). I guess ANet could break off some of the people working on the expansion to turn out new content, but that might very likely cause the expansion to take even longer.

Vayne.8563

Some players are definitely taking a break. Not that many, if my guild is any real indication, but people in my guild play less hours than they used to, including me. Because I’ve done most of what I want to do. That means very little, because it’s happened in every MMO I’ve ever played. Eventually you end up waiting for content. Nothing to write home about.

The thing is, due to the new sales, and the number of new players who haven’t finished everything, there’s still plenty of in game traffic. My guild has a few people taking a break but more new members than people breaking.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I’m not worried about GW2 losing players to newly released single player games, I’m more worried that people will now go get themselves invested in WS (that now goes f2p) or check out ESO, SW:TOR, etc. and at some point doing so, you reach a point where these traditional MMOs require you to commit fully to ensure you’re achieving to the max – and then you’ll not have time to come back to GW2 that is too casual to require you do more than login for a reward and then log back out after completing your daily in 15 minutes.

With the Captain’s Council vote players had a choice to choose between Kiel or Gnashblade; maybe the renaming on Surveymonkey could’ve been made into a rebuilding efforts event in LA where players would again turn in votes on each of these categories. Instead we now have a changed map that we contributed nothing to; what’s the next phase, another mid-rebuild version of the map or do we suddenly login one day to find LA magically restored in its new glory?
If the Consortium are shipping in something huge, that should be something we should get to experience – I hope – and not just see magically in place after a patch hits.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

This so-called “bleeding” is a pure speculation, at least in my pvp experience. ToL3 had more viewers than the previous editions, the Go4GW2 cups are getting more popular each week, and overall I think a lot of players came back to pvp when HoT was announced. I don’t know about PvE, but the Witcher and exam sessions for the youngest audience might have driven people out of the game for a while. It doesn’t matter.

That being said, I understand that Anet is focussing on the expansion, but seriously, why can’t we have a WvW season? I can’t think of anything as inexpensive as that.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

They are doing something. They’re making an expansion. Most games have a large downturn in population before an expansion and it picks up after the expansion launches. Anyway I’m sure Anet knows this and has plans for other stuff.

The concern should be if HoT is too little too late to get players back or keep them. Summertime player fluctuation is common in MMOs.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Even if people stop playing now they will still come back for the expansion.

So maybe its time we all just went outside for a little while.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

I’d be very interested to see the source of this fact of bleeding. Did ArenaNet publish some concurrency numbers somewhere hidden from the rest of us? Please share. =)

Have you really not noticed in game? Sure, there are new players coming in that help to offset the losses — maybe the numbers are even staying roughly the same. But open up your friends list / guild roster and look at how many people who were very into the game for the first year haven’t been on in months/years.

Even if the numbers are staying roughly the same, there are a lot of people leaving. Very few actually stick around to contribute to building a community. It’s not healthy for the game, and “bleeding” sounds quite appropriate.

2+ years of ignoring their player community has had consequences. I fear HoT will just be “too little too late,” but time will tell.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m afraid I haven’t noticed. Nor does my Friends List show ‘last logged on’. Thus, difficult to tell when players last, well, logged on.

I see the same players, pretty much, every week on my list. But, my list isn’t hundreds of players long, so that may be the reason.

Still would love to see the numbers published………

dlonie.6547

Still would love to see the numbers published………

Me too. They put out that “by the numbers” graphic the first year, but nothing since. If the game was growing, I’m sure they’d be waving that banner all over the place.

Friends lists don’t show last log-in, but I like to get to know the people on mine, and notice when they stop playing. And from what I’ve seen (admittedly antecdotal), this game has a hard time keeping vets around.

For me, the community makes the game. When people are getting fed up and leaving as much as they do here, it makes it very hard to maintain a community, which makes it very hard to stick around…which only exacerbates the issue. Vicious cycle.

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

This past weekend my guild welcomed a dozen new members. Of those dozen, seven were new(ish) players that had the game for about a month (a few only a couple of weeks).

Also, keep in mind University/college finals are going on, high school final are about to begin, and many people take vacation this time of year to avoid the messy ‘summer rush’. Also consider, some people just want to take a break until HOT launches. They have every intention of coming back.

Are people leaving? Sure.
But there’s a big difference from a temporary hiatus, and a full uninstall.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I’m more worried that people will now go get themselves invested in WS (that now goes f2p) or check out ESO, SW:TOR, etc.

Oh .. WS will kill GW2 the second time, and ESO has already killed it twice .. and now will kill it the third time ?

Oh and of course there is also ArcheAge .. and Black Desert ^^

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I’m more worried that people will now go get themselves invested in WS (that now goes f2p) or check out ESO, SW:TOR, etc.

Oh .. WS will kill GW2 the second time, and ESO has already killed it twice .. and now will kill it the third time ?

Nope, not calling them GW2 (or WoW, for that matter) killers at all, they’ve already proved themselves wrong in that respect. But when things are slow in GW2, players drift elsewhere… even back to TERA and The Secret World, and those traditional MMOs can get you hooked on endgame grind and at one point you might then cross a line where you go, “OK, GW2 what was that again… I think I’ll just stay here as a top raider/PvPer/crafter (or similar) and excel in this game.”

I’m not in that boat, just worried GW2 might lose others that way (like they did lose all but a handful of my original 100+ guild in GW2 after only 6 months). That’s over 90% of a small population gone…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

dlonie.6547

Nothing is going to kill it (well, if HoT flops, that might do it…). These games just offer things that GW2 doesn’t, and should be known as options for players that find GW2 lacking. ESO has much better lore and storytelling, WS does much better PvE, and GW2 does much better cosmetics and casual open-world.

It doesn’t need to be a competition. They each fill a niche and can coexist.

dlonie.6547

I’m not in that boat, just worried GW2 might lose others that way (like they did lose all but a handful of my original 100+ guild in GW2 after only 6 months). That’s over 90% of a small population gone…

I know the feeling buddy, and it sucks :-(

Vayne.8563

Nothing is going to kill it (well, if HoT flops, that might do it…). These games just offer things that GW2 doesn’t, and should be known as options for players that find GW2 lacking. ESO has much better lore and storytelling, WS does much better PvE, and GW2 does much better cosmetics and casual open-world.

WS doesn’t do much better in PvE, only a certain type of PvE. I don’t like that type of PvE and so WS doesn’t do it for me, even in PvE. But yes, it does much better in raids.

dlonie.6547

WS doesn’t do much better in PvE, only a certain type of PvE. I don’t like that type of PvE and so WS doesn’t do it for me, even in PvE. But yes, it does much better in raids.

Sure. I felt that was implied, but thanks for clarifying that since I was vague. I was referring to challenging instanced PvE. I mentioned “casual openworld” as a GW2 strength to attempt to make that distinction

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

They are doing something, every weekend you get a brand new PvP bonus buff #esports !

I’m taking a break myself only getting dailies, until I get hooked on something else then I won’t even bother with that. As it is I spend more time looking at the forums now that I do looking at the rear end of my characters.

dlonie.6547

As it is I spend more time looking at the forums now

Welcome to endgame PvF is where it’s at!

Posted by: Keilin.4297

Keilin.4297

Funny. I’m just back after a year and a half away. And to be honest, I see more people on these servers than on “you know who’s”…

Posted by: Kordash.2197

Kordash.2197

Am i the only that see the business model of this game is “leave when bored, back when new stuff happen” ? And that the so called “bleeding” isn’t a problem since they’ll all be back for HoT ?

BrooksP.4318

Funny. I’m just back after a year and a half away. And to be honest, I see more people on these servers than on “you know who’s”…

Probably because of the megaserver system which they added about a year ago.

dlonie.6547

Not sure exactly which game you’re talking to, but I’m guessing it’s one with a sub? That would probably have a lot to do with it

And megaservers. There is no such thing as a ‘dead’ or ‘busy’ server anymore (or a server community, but eh.)

dlonie.6547

Am i the only that see the business model of this game is “leave when bored, back when new stuff happen” ? And that the so called “bleeding” isn’t a problem since they’ll all be back for HoT ?

That is certainly their model and they’ve oft said things to that effect, e.g. “That’s one of the great things about GW2 is that you can always come back to it!”

Trouble is, some of us like to have an in-game community — an active guild, a busy friends list, etc., and that’s hard to do when people don’t stick around. We’re just playing the wrong game, I suppose.

Posted by: Keilin.4297

Keilin.4297

Not sure exactly which game you’re talking to, but I’m guessing it’s one with a sub? That would probably have a lot to do with it

And megaservers. There is no such thing as a ‘dead’ or ‘busy’ server anymore (or a server community, but eh.)

Hah! You know who I’m talking about…
And it’s not because of the monthly cost.
Yeah, I understand the mega-server thing. But still, at least people are out in the world here and not stuck in a gari…I mean, hahahaa ;P

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

No you are not. But it seems the general consensus was that we NEEDED an Xpac and that is taking all their time it seems. Personally I was happy with the biweekly updates but I am retired. Having them moved to a 3 week schedule would have sufficed IMO to make most players happy.

ANet did say they were trying to implement all content you would normally see in an Xpac as time went by, but that didn’t make the majority happy. You reap what you sow, but as I was in the minority It looks like I’ll get to do my sewing much much later than I would have liked.

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

I in fact have noticed a drop in activity on my friends list, people who just don’t seem to be on much anymore at times when they used to always be. And I’m certainly guilty myself. I log on for the daily chest and then that’s about it. I did actually play a fair bit of eotm this weekend, but that’s sort of “stretch” has been very rare for me for a long time now.

I wouldn’t be bold enough to make claims about how much the game is “bleeding”. Thanks the the megaserver, everything always still seems pretty populated. All I can do is describe my own experience. And that is: I just don’t feel like I have anything to do. What that means is things I actually WANT to do, things I might care about and want to be invested in.

Not things that can simply be completed/done, but player-driven things with meaningful outcomes. Not one or two scripted outcomes, but virtually endless possibilities ..that’s where true replayability is found.

Obviously I’ll be all over HoT when it comes out, but I do have concerns about what kind of things will be left for us to do after we’ve done the story, gotten our masteries, etc. Will we just be “done” again and back to endless pointless grinding? I hope not. I hope they will leave us with a more deep and engaging experience than “vanilla” did.

But for now, I just find it hard to get very motivated, and I’ve seen others also having dwindling activity, which I can only assume is for similar reasons. We might login every day, so would be considered “active” on Anet reports. But we all know that’s not the same kind of active as actually spending time in the game. Anecdotes may be all we have, but I think a good many of us increasingly have them.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Kordash.2197

That is certainly their model and they’ve oft said things to that effect, e.g. “That’s one of the great things about GW2 is that you can always come back to it!”

Trouble is, some of us like to have an in-game community — an active guild, a busy friends list, etc., and that’s hard to do when people don’t stick around. We’re just playing the wrong game, I suppose.

The problem doesn’t lie in the game, the problem lie in how you run this community. Keeping it active is a good amount of work, but if it’s what you want… Still pretty doable, without cutting your IRL in pieces (i work full time + familly + friend stuff + some other hobbies).

But if you expect to have the exact same players every time… well, nope, never seen it work like that, and i have been running our community for 9 years (Gw1+Gw2)

Posted by: Sekhmet.6153

Sekhmet.6153

I definitely don’t play as much as i use to, and depending on whether or not the expansion is worth the money, I may not play anymore period. I have definitely noticed that there have been times the game seemed a lot less populated than normal, but different people will have different experiences.

However, I do think it would be a tad foolish to act like there hasn’t been at least some drop in players recently. But only time will tell if its a permanent thing or just players waiting for HoT.

I would say though, that people shouldn’t just assume when HoT comes everything will get better and everyone will flock back to GW2. The expansion still actually has to be substantial enough for each individual and worth the money. If for instance, its just a few maps and looks like a glorified LS season 3, it might be enough to make certain players just give up on the game. Eventually people will always find something new to play, and just because GW1 has lasted a decade doesn’t mean GW2 is fated to last 5+ years itself.

Hopefully HoT will be great and show a real change, but we’ll see.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

That which has no subscription cannot die.

There will be a natural population drop thanks to the team taking time off of regular updates to focus on the expansion. That’s the price we pay for expansions (which is why I preferred the living story method).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

This content gap is frustrating. Hell if there’s no time to do anything new, bring super adventure box back, even if it means no world 3, or new skins, just let us replay worlds 1 and 2 while we wait.
You’d have a HUGE number of long term players cheering if anet did that we’ve been asking for more super adventure box for over a year now. And it’d be something to do for players who were not around for the last run of it. In addition some jumping practice could come in very handy for HoT given how much it seems to be using vertical map building.

Beldin.5498

This content gap is frustrating.

The content gap will be even more frustrating after the expansion is released and
people have consumed it in 2-4 weeks and then have to wait 2 years for the next
expansion.

Yeah .. maybe we get LS3 .. but LS2 was already worse than LS1 in terms of content gaps
and i don’t think we will ever going back to the LS1 model.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Sekhmet.6153

Sekhmet.6153

There will be a natural population drop thanks to the team taking time off of regular updates to focus on the expansion. That’s the price we pay for expansions (which is why I preferred the living story method).

Thats not true actually. Just because its free doesn’t mean it will exist forever. The moment NCSOFT sees it as being unprofitable, it could get shut down. It still takes resources to run a game, and not every company is going to be committed to just keep a game alive for a small fanbase.

It definitely helps keep it alive much longer, but you can’t just assume it will live forever. They even shut down City of Heroes.

dlonie.6547

The problem doesn’t lie in the game, the problem lie in how you run this community. Keeping it active is a good amount of work, but if it’s what you want… Still pretty doable, without cutting your IRL in pieces (i work full time + familly + friend stuff + some other hobbies).

But if you expect to have the exact same players every time… well, nope, never seen it work like that, and i have been running our community for 9 years (Gw1+Gw2)

How do you keep people around when they’re bored with the content, fed up with the direction and silence of the company, and have no confidence that the future of the game will improve?

Seriously. I’m looking for pointers here. My guild was built up around teaching and running dungeons, but the core players just can’t deal with the current dungeon situation in the game. I really don’t know what I can do to keep the guild active, short of moving to another game.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Thats not true actually. Just because its free doesn’t mean it will exist forever. The moment NCSOFT sees it as being unprofitable, it could get shut down. It still takes resources to run a game, and not every company is going to be committed to just keep a game alive for a small fanbase.

It definitely helps keep it alive much longer, but you can’t just assume it will live forever. They even shut down City of Heroes.

The resources to keep game servers online are fairly inexpensive these days. That’s why games like Guild Wars (the first one) are still running despite having very few players. So while it is true that games are shut down eventually, they can and often do last a long time after a subscription game would have had its plug pulled since the players that stick around are typically the ones who were funding it anyway.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Beldin.5498

Yeah .. SOE also killed Vanguard finally after 7 years .. and i think NCSoft is much
quicker with pulling the plug than SOE (now Daybreak Games) was.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

What is the point of such threads? The witcher 3 just came out, you’d expect people to play that. People will come and go and come back, that’s just how it is.

Fun off-topic information (hardly a fact though): According to all the threads about DX12 on these forums, the vast majority of GW2 players do not have a PC capable of playing Witcher 3, even on the lowest possible settings. I doubt the Witcher 3 is going to attract many players that are playing GW2, always according to the DX12 threads on these forums.

And now some on-topic, this is only speculation on my part, but Wildstar going F2P might be responsible for us getting no content lately. NCSoft wants players to go try it, having new exciting releases in GW2 wouldn’t help with that.

As I said, pure speculation on my part, but here is another fun fact for you: Wildstar release date was on June 3, 2014, almost close to a year ago now, and what did Guild Wars 2 have on that date or close around that date? Nothing.

April 15: Feature Pack
May 20: Festival of the Four Winds
June 3: Wildstar release
July 1: LS2 launches

You could argue that the Festival of the Four Winds was going to keep interest for longer than 14 days (May 20 → June 3) but it’s normal schedule for the 2-week GW2 releases, isn’kitten Call me crazy but there was a very convenient gap in GW2 releases at the time WS launched and if you recall posts from that era, 41 days without a release wasn’t unnoticed by the community. Also, the Festival of the Four Winds wasn’t new content, it was a repeat of old content and nothing substantial was added to the game.

As a side note, TESO was released on April 4, 2014, and on the same month we got the April Feature pack in GW2 with massive additions to the game. ArcheAge was released on the west on September 16, 2014 and we got another big Feature Pack on the same month. Do we get Feature Packs every time a major MMORPG is released?

I expect another “convenient” gap when B&S launches in the West. Is it really bad to have gaps like this? No I don’t think so, the publisher wants to make sure their games don’t compete with each other as much.

dlonie.6547

The only thing with the WS F2P thing is that it’s supposed to go F2P this fall, it’s still sub until then.

Which really confuses thing, since I have a feeling HoT will land around the same time (something this fall). I wondered about the overlap, too — seems odd, given the same parent company.

Beldin.5498

I expect another “convenient” gap when B&S launches in the West. Is it really bad to have gaps like this? No I don’t think so, the publisher wants to make sure their games don’t compete with each other as much.

Wow .. after over 2.5 years of silence something happens with B&S in the west ?

How old is this game already now btw. ?

Kordash.2197

How do you keep people around when they’re bored with the content, fed up with the direction and silence of the company, and have no confidence that the future of the game will improve?

Seriously. I’m looking for pointers here. My guild was built up around teaching and running dungeons, but the core players just can’t deal with the current dungeon situation in the game. I really don’t know what I can do to keep the guild active, short of moving to another game.

As stupid as this can sound : find other dedicated core players for your guild. But still how we did it. And that doesn’t mean forget the old ones, because there is a time when they’ll be back. I can imagine your current situation (silent stalker of dungeon subforum here), but you’re up with 3 solutions :
- Keep the actual community and recruit fresh people that have enough motivation to become core members, but that takes a bit of time (not that much, do it smart). AND YES it’s still possible, and really easy to do (we did this 6 month ago, since a bunch of our old core members left for other games/IRL/whatever)
- Move yourself to another similar community/guild
- Let it go (shut up Elsa) all together

The trick is : do not aptempt to keep someone that is no longer interested. Find someone else. First you can’t hold them, second, atempting that will only bring pain and anger, and kittens with flamethrowers.

Beldin.5498

The only thing with the WS F2P thing is that it’s supposed to go F2P this fall, it’s still sub until then.

Which really confuses thing, since I have a feeling HoT will land around the same time (something this fall). I wondered about the overlap, too — seems odd, given the same parent company.

It could work .. all those people that still hoped for instanced raids in GW2 can, after
they finally see the reality, directly change to WS

BrooksP.4318

The resources to keep game servers online are fairly inexpensive these days. That’s why games like Guild Wars (the first one) are still running despite having very few players. So while it is true that games are shut down eventually, they can and often do last a long time after a subscription game would have had its plug pulled since the players that stick around are typically the ones who were funding it anyway.

It depends really. However in regards to GW1 I don’t think its because of cost or income. It isn’t uncommon for a company to keep a legacy game running in order to promote a new version in the franchise.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

HoT release delayed until early 2016 confirmed? Keepo

dlonie.6547

Kordash, thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it. Trouble is, even with fresh dedicated players, the content just isn’t enough I suppose your guild also has interests in SW, or maybe WvW/PvP.

At the end of the day, Beldin’s last post makes the most sense, especially after seeing how ArenaNet has mismanaged instanced content into the ground: Let them see the light, and when the “Challenging Group Content” in HoT turns out to be another VW event loop, hope they follow us to WS.

It would have saved so much time and frustration if they would have said early on “Hey, these dungeon things don’t really fit in with what we’re trying to do, we’re going to be focusing on LS and casual openworld PvE exclusively from here out.” But eh. What’s done is done.

HoT release delayed until early 2016 confirmed? Keepo

Maybe! My guestimate of Fall 2015 might be optimistic, given that there’s a lot of stuff they’re not even willing to talk about because it’s so far from ready.

I shudder to think of how damaged the game’s reputation will be if HoT is delayed until 2016. They think all of these people will come back, not realizing that being driven away from a game you’ve invested thousands of hours into leaves a very bad taste in one’s mouth.

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Kordash.2197

Ah if you need a particular content, well, yup, this game may not be the good one.

My guild has become a real community (small, but still a community) and we are not focused on a single part of the game, that’s true. Around 70% is dungeons/fractals, but we do enjoy WvW and PvP aswell, and i personnaly like the living story stuff.

I agree that dungeons and instanced part could be soooooo much more in this game. However, it’s Anet’s game, not ours, and it’s to them to decide where it’s headed.

dlonie.6547

Yep — I just wish they were better at using their turn signals