You're doing it wrong!

You're doing it wrong!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sacredninja.5236

sacredninja.5236

As a true GW fan I am greatly disappointed. I have played GW1 from the start and had never played a game that has been much fun as that before.
For years and years I played Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North. I met a girl in GW1 and we have now been together for over 4 years, are engaged and have two beautiful kids together, I have also met my two best friends in GW1. And for these great things I thank you.
I have waited for GW2 in anticipation for over 5 years. I even bought a new PC last September because my old one would not run the game.
When I started playing it at first I was not sure I was going to like it, but because GW1 was so great, the 2 novels such a pleasure to read and due to all the great things I was reading prior to launch about all the great new things it would add to the world of MMORP I kept playing it.
Eventually I was starting to understand all the new systems and let go of my old GW1 play style and really started to enjoy this fresh new game. But I have to say that after getting most of my characters to lvl 80 with exotic gear, that I am greatly disappointed, it feels like most RPG’s even though you said it would not be like others.
I find it is getting boring, dull and overrated with too much of the same things day in day out. The same events, the same few maps and the same dungeons. The Daily’s where a nice surprise when launched at first, but that’s wearing off now.
I also heard there will be no Add-ons or Expansions like in GW1 (factions NF and EotN). Why not? Are you going to give us more updates instead? I hope not because your updates are destroying the game. With every update you implement something new, something new that adds very little to an already mediocre MMORPG, and to top it off, these updates break more then they fix!
I am strongly considering removing GW2 from my machine and purchasing a different game. I did not play WoW much because I did not agree with paying subscriptions for a game that I already purchased at a retailer. But seeing how this game is going I am reconsidering. When you pay a subscription for a game it means developers and/or publishers will have more funds for maintaining the Servers the games run on, and more funds for updates, fixes, and perhaps add-ons or expansions
I would even consider paying a subscription to you Arenanet, if you were able to promise to me that would you make the game better, and fix your patches and updates before your push them on to us and not just for us to find out what you broke this time
Consider this a letter from a very displeased Fan/customer/Consumer

Adriaan.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Anet, you’re doing it right. I played Guild Wars 1 for five years, with my wife and many of my friends. I have 50/50 and my GWAMM title, and I love Guild Wars 2 as does my wife.

Everyone has an opinion. Sounds to me like you’re comparing a 7 year old game with all kinds of content, with a 7 month old game, that has less content.

I’d have been bored with Prophecies 7 months after it released, until Factions came out. Just the way it is. No one can offer you infinite content, because content takes time to make.

Anet won’t make it faster because you’re not satisfied. Anyway, me and my guild are having fun.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Zeanix.8624

Zeanix.8624

they are doing it right, gw1 sucked so hard…. Gw2 is amazing tho.

You're doing it wrong!

sacredninja.5236

You do have a valid point, but anet will not release add-ons or expansions or expansions like Factions.

And may I ask which guild and on which server? I left my current guild to explore others, maybe it is because of the guild I was in ( a guild full of inactive players).

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I’d have been bored with Prophecies 7 months after it released, until Factions came out. Just the way it is. No one can offer you infinite content, because content takes time to make.

While this is true, this is not an excuse that I like to see people using.

Lots of games are released with more content than their predecessors (expansions included).

Also, they took several steps backwards from things that were established as good in Guild Wars 1.

The biggest example of a change from Gw1 to Gw2 that is complete garbage is the targeting system. Why on earth are we still stuck (today march 2013) with a targeting system that is based on your field of view? What was wrong with the targeting system in Gw1? Why are enemies not targetable at a certain distance? Why do you lose a target if you rotate your camera in the opposite direction?

In my honest opinion, Guild Wars 2 was an unfinished project when it was released.

It was lacking in so many areas.

Sure, some of these areas have been improved upon…. but the game itself still has a lot of flaws.

It is really upsetting that game companies can get away with releasing games as unfinished products…. but by the same token…. I’d rather be playing the game as it is now, unfinished, than still be waiting for it (and still playing gw1)

This game is amazing…. but I still shake my head in disbelief at how much better it should have been.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

As a true GW fan I am greatly disappointed. I have played GW1 from the start and had never played a game that has been much fun as that before.
For years and years I played Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North. I met a girl in GW1 and we have now been together for over 4 years, are engaged and have two beautiful kids together, I have also met my two best friends in GW1. And for these great things I thank you.
I have waited for GW2 in anticipation for over 5 years. I even bought a new PC last September because my old one would not run the game.
When I started playing it at first I was not sure I was going to like it, but because GW1 was so great, the 2 novels such a pleasure to read and due to all the great things I was reading prior to launch about all the great new things it would add to the world of MMORP I kept playing it.
Eventually I was starting to understand all the new systems and let go of my old GW1 play style and really started to enjoy this fresh new game. But I have to say that after getting most of my characters to lvl 80 with exotic gear, that I am greatly disappointed, it feels like most RPG’s even though you said it would not be like others.
I find it is getting boring, dull and overrated with too much of the same things day in day out. The same events, the same few maps and the same dungeons. The Daily’s where a nice surprise when launched at first, but that’s wearing off now.
I also heard there will be no Add-ons or Expansions like in GW1 (factions NF and EotN). Why not? Are you going to give us more updates instead? I hope not because your updates are destroying the game. With every update you implement something new, something new that adds very little to an already mediocre MMORPG, and to top it off, these updates break more then they fix!
I am strongly considering removing GW2 from my machine and purchasing a different game. I did not play WoW much because I did not agree with paying subscriptions for a game that I already purchased at a retailer. But seeing how this game is going I am reconsidering. When you pay a subscription for a game it means developers and/or publishers will have more funds for maintaining the Servers the games run on, and more funds for updates, fixes, and perhaps add-ons or expansions
I would even consider paying a subscription to you Arenanet, if you were able to promise to me that would you make the game better, and fix your patches and updates before your push them on to us and not just for us to find out what you broke this time
Consider this a letter from a very displeased Fan/customer/Consumer

Adriaan.

I agree with you 100%.

Anet is doing it wrong, they promised a revolution for the mmo industry and really we got more of a mmo renovation (poorly one done at that) then a revolution. All the pr for the game was extermly misleading and as a Gw1 player myself I’m getting bored of your game.

Personally I have a level 80 (I don’t have the time to level up other one) and here is what I’m doing:

1. Grinding for gold to buy some flashy armor + weapons
2. Map completion.

I would include jp but jp are simply not worth the time or effort.

Honestly for a game delayed 4 times, there is a clear lack of polish.
For example that wall seperating people when talking -didn’t people tell you that they didn’t like it? Or what about the clear lack of an endgame to which you replied to tell us to replay old content. This fine IF there is a REASON to play it. The daily is nice but other then that there is little reason to.
And Ascended gear~ oh ascended gear. Anet claimed that they planned to release it with exotic which logically cannot be true. If it was, then how come the way it was implemented is so poor? You can’t even buy Ascended Gear off the tp.

One a side note I am irratated to have been kicked out of my own server and put onto overflow because so many people were guesting on my server to farm the dragon. Really? Did no-one think about how poor of a choice this was?

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

In my honest opinion, Guild Wars 2 was an unfinished project when it was released.

Sure, some of these areas have been improved upon…. but the game itself still has a lot of flaws.

It is really upsetting that game companies can get away with releasing games as unfinished products…. but by the same token…. I’d rather be playing the game as it is now, unfinished, than still be waiting for it (and still playing gw1)

This game is amazing…. but I still shake my head in disbelief at how much better it should have been.

I share the same opinion. What astounds me even more though, is that its still not any closer to a finished state than at launch. The UI is still clunky and unintuitive, and it blows my mind that someone would think it’s ok to use such a UI in a game that was released in 2012. It’s more like the UI I’d expect in a game from 1996.

But anyway, I wanted to say to the OP that I love the title of this thread, because I’ve been told so often that I’m doing it wrong if I don’t play just how ArenaNet intended.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

they are doing it right, gw1 sucked so hard…. Gw2 is amazing tho.

Gw1 was amazing. A far better game then gw2, but after 4 expansions and years of development, they’re hardly comparable. Gw1 without the expansions VS gw2, the latter would probably win on the pve side.

PvP wise thou, no other game has ever come close to gw1, and probably never will, including its sequel. It was far too complex for its own good, but also the most rewarding once you got into it, thanks to that complexity and all the variations in builds.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Wait. There will be no expansions? Yeah, I’ll believe that like I believe there’ll no grind for gear.

Otherwise, I agree. I like the game, but something feels ‘off’ lately. And this ‘Living Story’ event isn’t quite up to par either.

Gone to Reddit.

You're doing it wrong!

Revolution.6301

While this is true, this is not an excuse that I like to see people using.

Lots of games are released with more content than their predecessors (expansions included).

Also, they took several steps backwards from things that were established as good in Guild Wars 1.

The biggest example of a change from Gw1 to Gw2 that is complete garbage is the targeting system. Why on earth are we still stuck (today march 2013) with a targeting system that is based on your field of view? What was wrong with the targeting system in Gw1? Why are enemies not targetable at a certain distance? Why do you lose a target if you rotate your camera in the opposite direction?

While I agree with what you said about GuildWars 2’s fault I disagee with it being okay with it being released as an unfinished product. Honestly, I would be fine if it was held back until this September if that gave Anet more time to improve on it, heck even next year. But imo Anet clearly did not have honest people testing it. They were probably fanboys/fangirls who thought the game was gold no matter what. I still don’t get how the voice acting was acceptable when they had AMAZING voice actors voice the characters. The lack of cutscenes is just downright annoying. I enjoy my CGI cutsceans (I’d expect this in 2013) What was with the wall? seperating the people when they’re talking.

Anet these forums are constantly negative, even Nexon’s forums (and this is saying alot) are less negative. This is clearly a sign that it is time the players should be listened to.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

They haven’t said they aren’t going to release expansions or campaigns. They said that there isn’t one currently in the works. They’re trying to strengthen the core before releasing paid expansions, which to me is quite admirable.

Sure, there are things from GW that I wish they’d bring into GW2. But I’m personally still enjoying the game.

Personally I have a level 80 (I don’t have the time to level up other one)

I’ve never understood this argument.

Unless you want to get to 80 quickly, then you’ve got all the time in the world, surely?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

You're doing it wrong!

sacredninja.5236

@Ardenwolfe.8590

“Wait. There will be no expansions? Yeah, I’ll believe that like I believe there’ll no grind for gear.”

They have announced this themselves on their Twitter Page.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

@Ardenwolfe.8590

That’s another area where ArenaNet are doing it wrong. Random posts on social networking sites that not everyone subscribes to, and not linking them on guildwars2.com. I’m starting to suspect that nobody there ever took a communication class at University…

You're doing it wrong!

Ardenwolfe.8590

@Ardenwolfe.8590

“Wait. There will be no expansions? Yeah, I’ll believe that like I believe there’ll no grind for gear.”

Again, honestly, I don’t care if they wrote it on stone tablets and brought it down from Mount Sinai. That’s not happening. Much like the promise that we’ll never grind for gear.

No insult intended, but I tend to take anything from anyone working on an MMO with a grain of salt ever since Mythic said artifacts wouldn’t affect RvR.

Those with experience kind of know better at this point.

Gone to Reddit.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Teulius.8752

Teulius.8752

Guild wars 2 a mediocre stereotypical mmorpg? What the hell are you talking about?
I’ve been playing tons of different mmrogps for the past 8 years of my life (wow, tera, gw1 warhammer online, aion just to name a few), some of them pay2play and some of them free2play. There must be at least a hundred mmrogps that I’ve tried and let me tell you one thing, Guild wars 2 might not be THE best mmorpg out there but without a freaking doubt it is the most original and revolutionary mmorpg out there.
I love how they’re at least trying to put something different into the mmorpg market, and it shows. The events are awesome (they do tend to feel like timed quests sometimes but they’re certainly a step in the right direction). I love the dungeons (even got dungeon master recently) i explored the entire world and it’s still fun to me. Can’t wait for the WvWvW improvement and sPvP tends to be a blast when you figure out which class suits you best.
Yeah, sure the game does have some bad things in it, not sure how i feel about ascended gear (don’t want the game to turn into a gear check ya know, not what i paid for). There’s no ingame LFG system, and if the person who started the dungeon DC’s or leaves the rest of the team has to start over again, why? Because cinematics wouldn’t make sense without them and oh no we wouldn’t want to kill the immersion xD.

But personally, the good things in the game far outweigh the bad, especially when i compare it to my previous mmo experiences.
And as for wow, I’ll be honest. It’s a good game and it’s still really enjoyable and will be for years to come, but let’s see how excited you’ll be when the words ‘’go and kill 15/0 boars’’ appear on the top right corner of your screen.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

It’s their game and your choice to play it, or not.

That’s really all there is to it.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: BadHabitZz.1856

BadHabitZz.1856

My problem is that atm GW2 is not friendly to “hardcore” players just to casuals, it slowly becoming this noobish casual MMO wihout any options to get BiS items by farming them, because ppl could grind them and god forbid! thats a highest sin in GW2 if someone can get items and gold faster then a casual player so we all are stuck with laurel/daily system….
Why cant i just go into some super hard location with group of friends and just kill some mobs and let be astronomical chance of really expensive items droping there. Iam really missins farming some hard bosses and get some drop which can drop just from them like Jormag’s Breath droping from Jormag or something like that…

(edited by BadHabitZz.1856)

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

My problem is that atm GW2 is not friendly to “hardcore” players just to casuals it slowly becoming this noobish casual MMO wihout any hard things because ppl could grind them and god forbid! thats a highest sin in GW2 if someone can get items and gold faster then a casual player so we all are stuck with laurel/daily system….

So play something else ?

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It’s not that there won’t be any expansions, it’s that there won’t be one anytime within the near future. It really depends on how they decided to handle expansions. There’s a lot of areas in the game that will be unlocked in the future, such as the crystal desert. These areas may come in an expansion or, they could be unlocked in live updates similar to the karka event. Either way, it’s going to be expanding the game, so although it’s not a box you buy, it’s still an expansion.

Originally, when introducing the gem store, they said you would be able to pick and choose the content you wanted to buy . I originally thought they would do mini expansions through the gem store, making you pay to unlock new places, like the karka island, but they didn’t do that.

If they choose to unlock the areas for free, then paid expansions would most likely introduce new lands, such as cantha, elona any maybe an underwater expansion into the deep sea where the largos are and bubbles is.

When they do introduce an expansion, compared to GW1, they will be like EotN, rather than the others (standalone).

This isn’t actual news, it is something we have mentioned multiple times before. As the original interview says, and I quote:
“Expansions are definitely something that we’ll potentially look at in the future,” he explained. “We don’t have a timetable on it. We’re open to it, but I think our major focus as a studio is making the living world concept as strong as possibly can for the players that we’ve got.”

No one said we will never do an expansion, all Colin says (again) is that we are currently focusing on Living Story and other ongoing to the live game.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

My problem is that atm GW2 is not friendly to “hardcore” players just to casuals it slowly becoming this noobish casual MMO wihout any hard things because ppl could grind them and god forbid! thats a highest sin in GW2 if someone can get items and gold faster then a casual player so we all are stuck with laurel/daily system….

“Without any hard things because people could grind them”

The last time I checked, content was hard to give people a challenge. Not for people to ‘grind’ them.

And a ‘hardcore’ (read: someone who plays a lot) can get more stuff quickly than a casual player anyway.

Time and calender gating is done not just for casual players to give them a chance to join groups with the leet who expect perfect gear. It’s also for the developers, to give them a chance to create content.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

You're doing it wrong!

BadHabitZz.1856

So play something else ?

I do i just checking forums if anything new has happend….

“Without any hard things because people could grind them”

The last time I checked, content was hard to give people a challenge. Not for people to ‘grind’ them.

And a ‘hardcore’ (read: someone who plays a lot) can get more stuff quickly than a casual player anyway.

Time and calender gating is done not just for casual players to give them a chance to join groups with the leet who expect perfect gear. It’s also for the developers, to give them a chance to create content.

Ok so could developers get me and to others a chance to farm those things. Why do i have to be stuck with once per day system. They will never admit it but daily system is there only because they dont want us farming content faster then they want in short they wont let us play how we want and thats not how this game has been presented at release…
Also you quoted me before edit you are right grind =/= hard thing but if i choose to put more time into game then someone else why should i be kitten as much as he is? It doesnt make sense to me sure let causals get items through daily system but why i cant buy it for gold? You can buy tri-forge pendant and its same thing like Amulet for laurels its just costs alots of gold…
I would rather grind gold then do dailys or Guild missions and just buy those earings for that its more enjoyable to me then dailys/guild missions

(edited by BadHabitZz.1856)

You're doing it wrong!

sacredninja.5236

“They will never admit it but daily system is there only because they dont want us farming content faster then they want in short they wont let us play how we want and thats not how this game has been presented at release…”

Cant agree with you more on that one

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Melchiorum.2745

Melchiorum.2745

I think that this coin has two sides.

No, Guild Wars 2 is not ideal. It has plenty of flaws, the biggest of them is a sudden “content pit”, which you face as soon as the story quest is over. You can either grind or grind then, as there is nothing else to do. Grinding just for grinding’s sake is not something hardcore OR casual players usually enjoy doing.

On the other hand, until hitting this “content pit” I really, REALLY enjoyed the game. It is freakin great! It is nothing like other MMO’s. It has style, great looks, dynamic combat system, incredible story flow and best-in-the-genre questing/event system, that allows you to jump in and out of the action with no annoying backtracking to quest givers. It has wonderful music and great voice acting. Come on guys, give the game some appreciation.

You can’t make an ideal game. ArenaNet has done a terrific job and lets you, guys, play for free, with no subscription fee or pay-to-win BS. There are simply no other games like that on the market. None! Can you think of any single game that would offer that much content for that little money? I sure can’t, and I have played tons of games for last 16 years. Some FPS shooters that have like 6 hours of gameplay often cost more.

So please, stop complaining about developers not granting all your wishes and think a little bit about how much effort is put into this title to give YOU a chance to have a great time online without spending a penny. And if you want improvements, try to give some constructive criticism.

(edited by Melchiorum.2745)

You're doing it wrong!

sacredninja.5236

Melchiorum, you do have a very good point there, and yes it is free to play.
But after all the cool stuff they said GW2 would have and blahblah I can only say that I am very disappointed,

I’m expressing my disappointment here in the hope that Anet will read these opinions and concerns (not just my own) and takes them on board.

I always say, Critique is free advise.

I did not start this threat to be nasty

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

They said they aren’t releasing any expansions this year. Of course there’ll be expansions later, just not in 2013.

And that is very good news.

The game does indeed feel unfinished. Not much to work towards in the endgame, and what there is, is often generally aimless and/or can be achieved in a fraction of the time spent somewhere else (PvP rewards, anyone?). UI issues, balance issues, etc. also hint heavily at forced release.

However, they’re working on it, likely denying expansions this year so they can finish vanilla GW2. They’re adding to WvW this month. They’re adding to PvE. I’ll quit the game if they don’t cough up fixes to broken classes and better rewards where it’s seriously lacking like in PvP, but then, I’m quite certain those issues will be fixed long before then.

You aren’t being forced to pay for the game. If you’re so disgusted, wait a few months and come back. Things should only get better.

EDIT: Also, as someone who put thousands of hours into WoW through its first three expansions, I can tell you it started feeling off during its second and went to complete crap in its third. I wouldn’t play it if it was subscription-free as it is. You should know better than to think Blizzard doesn’t pocket the extra 180$ (that’s three GW2s) a year that they make off every customer.

Disciple of Quag

(edited by Scumbag Mawile.6384)

You're doing it wrong!

BadHabitZz.1856

You aren’t being forced to pay for the game. If you’re so disgusted, wait a few months and come back. Things should only get better.

Or you find everbody else in ascedent gear and yourself with 0 laurels beacause you didnt played 5 months and what now? Sure you can keep ignoring ascedent gear but later the difference is deffinitely be there more and more with each ascedent gear added Thats why they should add opitons to get them without dailys or Guild missions imo…

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

Pretty sure Ascended armor/weapons won’t cost Laurels. They’re already being over-required and Anet will know not to add more “necessary” gear using them.

Another grindy/long-term way of obtaining them? Likely. Then again, if you can’t enjoy a game without having max stats immediately after resuming it, you’re too spoiled to enjoy GW2 (or any game, really).

Disciple of Quag

You're doing it wrong!

Ardenwolfe.8590

“They will never admit it but daily system is there only because they dont want us farming content faster then they want in short they wont let us play how we want and thats not how this game has been presented at release…”

Cant agree with you more on that one

Yes, and it’s painfully obvious. I love this game, but I’m guessing they didn’t figure players would gobble up the content so fast.

The daily system, while interesting, is a small carrot with a very long stick.

Gone to Reddit.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Codata.2019

Codata.2019

I can’t agree with you. Personally, for me this is the best game i ever played. Sure, its not a perfect game (nothing is perfect) but its the best one out there right now. At end, everyone is free to leave.

You're doing it wrong!

BadHabitZz.1856

Sure this you dont “need” the extra stats, but if i can get them faster them someone else its suddenly big deal…I dont want them immediatly for god sake if it takes 50h to get 1 earing iam fine with it but allowing you to do things once per day is not the same thing as when something takes time and work…

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

You do have a valid point, but anet will not release add-ons or expansions or expansions like Factions.

And may I ask which guild and on which server? I left my current guild to explore others, maybe it is because of the guild I was in ( a guild full of inactive players).

The game is already getting content additions on a monthly basis. More content is coming at the end of this month and the end of the next month. That is what is implied by a growing living world.

You sound like you read a poorly informed and sensationalist article written on Colin’s statement and got swept up in the author’s nonsense.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Kono.5947

Kono.5947

I thought they said something about not expecting an expansion pack anytime soon, but the idea was there for later? If there’s no expansion pack, then there at least should be a huge content update in the future. I doubt they’re just going to add these little tibits like living story for forever.

Anyway, here’s a tip. GW2 has no subscription. So I’d suggest taking a break. If you feel like it, come back later and periodically check on the news to see what kind of new content they’ve been releasing. Maybe it’ll be something that will be interesting enough to bring you back? One of the cool things about the game is that there’s really little obligation to play if you don’t feel like it. If it bores you right now, then find something else to play for the time being.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

• If you feel like things are getting boring, because you do the same things every day, they stray of the beaten path.
  • ArenaNet never said there would never be an expansion. They said they aren’t currently working on an expansion, but are focusing on expanding the world, and making it into what they originally intended it to be.
  • Unless you are running a low GB SDD, I don’t see why you need to delete Guild Wars 2 in order to play another game? There’s nothing wrong with playing other games in between Guild Wars 2. That’s the whole idea of not having a supscription fee…
  • Subscription fees aren’t used to pay for servers, like they were 10 years ago. Servers don’t cost that much today. The only difference it might make, is that the company can afford to have more people working on the game at a time. But that’s about it. Subscription fees are a thing if the past, because games are 10x more popular today, and can easily make a profit when developed (or simply just advertised) by the right people.
  • Patches are tested before they are updated. It’s just that the patches respond very differently depending on the amount of people who play the game. ArenaNet can’t afford to have 1 million people test a patch before sending it out. Besides, all games has patch problem. You should be grateful that ArenaNet are so quick to respond to them.

Just give the game another year or so, and play some other games in between. A lot of things are still in “beta” in Guild Wars 2.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Shade.6081

Shade.6081

What would improve this game infinitely is to remove level scaling from the game. Its a system that destroys a game by making it so called “fair”. Level scaling takes away your sense of power from your character and takes away the satisfaction of working your a— off to become more powerful. If a game has level scaling then gaining levels becomes irrelevant.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

This game gets updated more frequently than almost every subscription MMO, heh.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Gelltor.3015

Gelltor.3015

What would improve this game infinitely is to remove level scaling from the game. Its a system that destroys a game by making it so called “fair”. Level scaling takes away your sense of power from your character and takes away the satisfaction of working your a— off to become more powerful. If a game has level scaling then gaining levels becomes irrelevant.

you know what getting rid of it would do? Take away the sense of challenge in all but about 5areas just so people like you could rampage through low level areas to feel “powerful”

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Level scaling is one of the best features in the game, keeping content as relevant as possible no matter your level is important to give players a variety of activities to do. Also, last I checked, your rewards scale as well so I don’t see an issue here, if anything, every single MMORPG that is to be released in the future should have level scaling.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Mujen.5287

Mujen.5287

MMOs as a whole were going through a slump, for the past 4-6 years of doing the same thing over and over with a different skin expecting a different result. It might be an old cliché, But isn’t that the definition of insanity?

So if GW2 went off it’s original would the game really be as succesful as it is now? I tried to play gw1 again for hall of monument items. All I was left with was a headache and boredum. Don’t take it personal, it’s just my opinion.

You're doing it wrong!

Vayne.8563

I’m in Wardens of Destiny on Tarnished Coast. Mostly a PVe guild. And yes, we enjoy playing Guild Wars 2. Many of us also played Guild Wars 1.

As for expansions, Factions wasn’t an expansion it was a stand alone game. Same is Nightfall. Eye of the North was the only true expansion.

But the thing is, if you ONLY looked at Prophecies six months after launch, with no hard mode, and I don’t even think Sorrow’s Furnace had been added yet, it’s a whole different game.

Give the game time. It’s growing…faster than the first one did.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Robbyx.1284

Robbyx.1284

Guild wars 2 a mediocre stereotypical mmorpg? What the hell are you talking about?
I’ve been playing tons of different mmrogps for the past 8 years of my life (wow, tera, gw1 warhammer online, aion just to name a few), some of them pay2play and some of them free2play. There must be at least a hundred mmrogps that I’ve tried and let me tell you one thing, Guild wars 2 might not be THE best mmorpg out there but without a freaking doubt it is the most original and revolutionary mmorpg out there.

Please tell me what is original and revolutionary about GW2….im not being smart, im genuinely interested in what you see in GW2 that you think hasnt been done before.

You're doing it wrong!

maddoctor.2738

But the thing is, if you ONLY looked at Prophecies six months after launch, with no hard mode, and I don’t even think Sorrow’s Furnace had been added yet, it’s a whole different game.

Sorrow’s Furnace was added 4.5 months after release, Titan Quests were also added with the same update, both gave some more “progression” to Guild Wars 1, harder content and the “new” unique items, in a way similar to the Novemeber update for Guild Wars 2 as they both added a new tier of gear, although in Guild Wars 1 the new tier wasn’t actually better, “stat-wise”, than the old.

I agree with you, even with those 2 included, Guild Wars 2 at release, had far more content than Prophecies ever did. Let’s see what happens at the one year mark, at which Guild Wars 1 nearly doubled its content with the release of Factions. Guild Wars Factions has a completely new world, although not as big as Prophecies, it was still huge, more than “normal” expansions for other games.

Let’s see if by August 20th 2013 Guild Wars 2 will be nearly double in size or not.

You're doing it wrong!

maddoctor.2738

Please tell me what is original and revolutionary about GW2….im not being smart, im genuinely interested in what you see in GW2 that you think hasnt been done before.

Dynamic Event system, far superior (and different) to anything Rift or Warhammer Online ever did.

Active Combat, ok there have been RPGs with more emphasis in combat, but never a real blend between types like in Guild Wars 2

No trinity, no “roles” in combat. OK maybe there are some roles but not as strictly defined as in other games, nor the same. In this feature I must add the “no threat”, there is no threat management/generation skills/abilities (Thank goodness)

Weapon system/Skill system, it is funny how it is now being copied by the MMORPGs of the future. Limited Skillbars, Weapon-specific skills.

The World and Exploration. Vistas/POIs/Skill challenges, it’s the only MMORPG that is actually rewarding true exploration.

Just to name a few features

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Drew.1865

Drew.1865

Dynamic Event system, far superior (and different) to anything Rift or Warhammer Online ever did.

Active Combat, ok there have been RPGs with more emphasis in combat, but never a real blend between types like in Guild Wars 2

No trinity, no “roles” in combat. OK maybe there are some roles but not as strictly defined as in other games, nor the same. In this feature I must add the “no threat”, there is no threat management/generation skills/abilities (Thank goodness)

Weapon system/Skill system, it is funny how it is now being copied by the MMORPGs of the future. Limited Skillbars, Weapon-specific skills.

The World and Exploration. Vistas/POIs/Skill challenges, it’s the only MMORPG that is actually rewarding true exploration.

No instead of the trinity we get LF serker warrior and Mesmer only for speed run. Also your toons damage effects how much loot you get just to name a few more “features”.

Is GW2 a game or a virtual casino?

You're doing it wrong!

maddoctor.2738

No instead of the trinity we get LF serker warrior and Mesmer only for speed run. Also your toons damage effects how much loot you get just to name a few more “features”.

You are only looking at CoF P1, the farm dungeon…. that has nothing to do with game features. Also, toon damage affects loot up to a point (doing enough to earn credit which is very very low) after that damage plays absolutely no role in loot.

And now that you mention it, I forgot to add one more groundbreaking new feature:

Purely cooperative environment, there is no mob/node tagging, everyone is an ally and can do events, defeat monsters on their own, without actually being in a group.

You're doing it wrong!

Vayne.8563

Sorrow’s Furnace was added 4.5 months after release, Titan Quests were also added with the same update, both gave some more “progression” to Guild Wars 1, harder content and the “new” unique items, in a way similar to the Novemeber update for Guild Wars 2 as they both added a new tier of gear, although in Guild Wars 1 the new tier wasn’t actually better, “stat-wise”, than the old.

I agree with you, even with those 2 included, Guild Wars 2 at release, had far more content than Prophecies ever did. Let’s see what happens at the one year mark, at which Guild Wars 1 nearly doubled its content with the release of Factions. Guild Wars Factions has a completely new world, although not as big as Prophecies, it was still huge, more than “normal” expansions for other games.

Let’s see if by August 20th 2013 Guild Wars 2 will be nearly double in size or not.

By your own logic, it wouldn’t need to double it’s size. First of all, Guild Wars 2 added the Fractals, 9 minidungeons less then four months after launch. I think most people will agree that the fractals have as much content as Sorrow’s Furnace. You may not like the progression mechanic of it, but just as a stand alone dungeon, without grinding it, it’s a lot of content.

But aside from that, you’re right, this game is significantly bigger than Prophecies was, not even including five starting areas. So it doesn’t have to double the size of the game. It could increase the game by let’s say 30%, just an off hand number, and that would still be the equivalent of a Factions upgrade. I mean Factions was pretty small.

Prophecies had 25 missoins, Factions had 13. And in Factions, half the time you were just running back and forth to the same area, to get to the next quest. The progression was artificially slow. Add in the fact that you had to earn 10,000 luxon or kurzick points to get to the rest of the game, another thing to artificially slow you down, and you’ll realize how small Factions actually is.

Guild Wars 2 has content in spades over Guild Wars 1 for the same amount of time, and in a year, even with the inclusion of Factions, I’m sure it will have more content.

You're doing it wrong!

Vayne.8563

The difference is is that here you CAN play the game without having to do that. Even in Guild Wars 1, there were people standing in the Temple of Ages spamming looking for whatever the guild of the month was. You had to know the acronyms, because everyone else did if you wanted to pug. Those sorts of people are in every game. The trick is to join a guild of like-minded players and stop pugging. Because though you can have good experiences in pugs, there are too many bad ones mixed in.

I’d rather play with people I know anyway and developer longer term strategies based around knowing their playstyle, than speed running anything. It’s a personal preference, of course, but it’s sure a lot more fun for me than pugging anything.

You're doing it wrong!

Revolution.6301

They said they aren’t releasing any expansions this year. Of course there’ll be expansions later, just not in 2013.

And that is very good news.

The game does indeed feel unfinished. Not much to work towards in the endgame, and what there is, is often generally aimless and/or can be achieved in a fraction of the time spent somewhere else (PvP rewards, anyone?). UI issues, balance issues, etc. also hint heavily at forced release.

However, they’re working on it, likely denying expansions this year so they can finish vanilla GW2. They’re adding to WvW this month. They’re adding to PvE. I’ll quit the game if they don’t cough up fixes to broken classes and better rewards where it’s seriously lacking like in PvP, but then, I’m quite certain those issues will be fixed long before then.

EDIT: Also, as someone who put thousands of hours into WoW through its first three expansions, I can tell you it started feeling off during its second and went to complete crap in its third. I wouldn’t play it if it was subscription-free as it is. You should know better than to think Blizzard doesn’t pocket the extra 180$ (that’s three GW2s) a year that they make off every customer.

I agree somewhat with you. Though people need to stop using the argument that they were forced to release it early why?

It was delayed 3 times. It was suppose to release in 2009, then 2010, then 2011 then it finally released in 2012.
They had an extra 3 years to work on their game, how then are there so many issues? If they released the game back in 09 then I wouldn’t make this comment but they didn’t.

You're doing it wrong!

Revolution.6301

I mean if they didn’t delay the game then we wouldn’t have the right to complaine as much as we do.

You're doing it wrong!

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

Since they’ve announced GW2 will not have expansions this year, I’m kind of expecting the game to die.

I mean, the consistent complaint is that there’s not enough content and the counter to that was that the GW1 that most people remember had 2 expansions.

Without an expansion, they’re not really resolving the “lack of content” issue.

They still haven’t provided an adequate reason for people to continue playing after reaching level 80. There’s no new armor art or weapon skins to grind for.

Just Ascended gear which will only appease people that like grinding for more stats without visual reward.

GW2 is increasingly seeming like a churn-and-burn game where they get people to throw money at the gemstore, and then quickly abandon the game.

They keep introducing new currencies (because people have kept accumulating the existing ones).

Nothing’s really being resolved.

Without an expansion, I expect more content like Southsun Cove which really has no current reason to visit.

It’s nice to see that they’re planning on FIXING that content release in the coming months… But if it takes them months to fix something that should have been worthwhile to begin with? That shows a lack of quality control.

They have no idea what they’re doing and it’s showing.

At least Blizzard has a clear vision on what they want to do.

You're doing it wrong!

Revolution.6301

Since they’ve announced GW2 will not have expansions this year, I’m kind of expecting the game to die.

I mean, the consistent complaint is that there’s not enough content and the counter to that was that the GW1 that most people remember had 2 expansions.

Without an expansion, they’re not really resolving the “lack of content” issue.

They still haven’t provided an adequate reason for people to continue playing after reaching level 80. There’s no new armor art or weapon skins to grind for.

Just Ascended gear which will only appease people that like grinding for more stats without visual reward.

GW2 is increasingly seeming like a churn-and-burn game where they get people to throw money at the gemstore, and then quickly abandon the game.

They keep introducing new currencies (because people have kept accumulating the existing ones).

Nothing’s really being resolved.

Without an expansion, I expect more content like Southsun Cove which really has no current reason to visit.

It’s nice to see that they’re planning on FIXING that content release in the coming months… But if it takes them months to fix something that should have been worthwhile to begin with? That shows a lack of quality control.

They have no idea what they’re doing and it’s showing.

At least Blizzard has a clear vision on what they want to do.

What you’ve said is quite harsh but very true. The lack of expanisions is worrysome. And that people 7 months into the game are still complaining of lack of content is also also worrysome.

Heck even the gem store is laughable because there is NOTHING really cool to buy. Other then maybe around 300 gems worth there is nothing.