Your Opinion on PvE Players in sPvP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

Before I begin, let me say some words:

I don’t have anything against PvE / PvE-players.
Everybody has his own playstlye and content he wants to play in GW2.

But what I can’t stand, are PvE Players who just go with some friends into sPvP join an empty Server and start killing each other repeatedly,…
Edit
There may be some missunderstanding: by “killing each other” I want to they, that they dont even fight, one player lets another play just kill him and probably after a certain amount of kills, the other player lets himself get killed
Edit ending
… in order to get their PvE dailies done, or to get the PvP achievements.

Of course you can say "if they are on their own server, nobody gets "harmed"", but on the other hand, this is no legit playstyle in my opinion, as PvP is about being competitive and not about farming each other.

In other games which contain PvP, this behavior is usually even forbidden and you can be banned for this, but it seems in GW2 ANet doesnt care.

So, what is your opinion?

(edited by EverythingEnds.4261)

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I don’t think it is a requirement to be competitive in PvP, if players just want to run around killing each other just for fun and don’t care if they win or not, let them be.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

They have a right to run around and goof around if that’s what they want.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

If they are intentionally farming each other than that goes against the spirit of the gamem mode and should be banned. Other games do not encourage such a gamestyle.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

In other games which contain PvP, this behavior is usually even forbidden and you can be banned for this, but it seems in GW2 ANet doesnt care.

Yes they do.

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Who cares if they want to make the daily grind faster.. doesn’t affect me because lolhotjoin.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Hotjoin isn’t competitive.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

spvp isn’t an esport anyways (still needs dr on CC, doesn’t matter if you have stability to break it)

you want competitiveness go play 5v5 team arenas, otherwise its a pug free for all.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

If it’s not affecting you or the game in any way, why do you care how other people play or what they do?
This is like complaining and reporting people for playing basketball with their own different rules on their own court, on their own time because you deem it wrong.
gasp other people are enjoying the game in ways that I don’t agree are fun. Quick! Call the fun police!

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Maybe some of those players need help and practice so that’s how their guildies or friends help them out. I was so afraid to try pvp because of attitudes like the OP has. My guild mates helped me by doing exactly that…finding an empty spot and letting me fight them. I’m still not good at it but people have to start somewhere. If those people aren’t hurting you then why complain?

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

I like to get an empty server with some friends just for some friendly 1v1 competition that is not constantly interrupted by other players. We like to see who can beat who and experiment with builds. Certainly don’t farm it and even if I do, why would anyone care? Regardless I also like that I can play with my ele and not feel like I could be doing better for my team with a fotm warrior or some shenanigans like that.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

…this is no legit playstyle in my opinion, as PvP is about being competitive and not about farming each other…

PvP, like any portion of PvE or WvW, is only what its players make it. ANet can set all kinds of rules for how they ‘intend’ for the players to use a given game mode, but the players will still find ways to play that ANet didn’t think up (think of everything that’s happened recently with GvG).

I would argue that “PvP” and “farming each other” is essentially the same thing. Yes, you have a capture point system, but players can choose to ignore that at any time and simply focus on killing each other. It’s just a different take on the same game. The question, then, is whether these players are seeing an undue benefit to their sparring (i.e. is it an exploit?). I doubt they are seeing any undue benefit.

As far as PvP being competitive…who’s to say that players who are sparring for fun in an otherwise empty arena aren’t being competitive in their own way? On top of that, I honestly don’t see what difference it makes if they’re not being competitive at all, and instead they’re just having fun. I wish more people played that way, and I view it as a far more ‘legit playstyle’ than many PvP’ers’ attitudes.

I think people in general take PvP (and WvW sometimes) far too seriously and have eliminated a lot of what I used to find fun about it.

(edited by Vick.6805)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They could always be dueling each other. I thought that was one of the game plays of PvP.

EverythingEnds.4261

Maybe there was some misunderstanding (sry, English isnt my mothertongue).

Those guys dont actually “fight”

It is like this:

Players meet:
Player A let himself get killed by player B —> repeat.
They dont fight.
But this is, what PvP is about.
They are just farming their dailies / achievements or atm this event finisher stuff.

It is about that this people arent event interested in playing PvP. They just want the stuff they get by those achievements.

Maybe the term “kill each other” wasnt exactly what I ment to say, sry about that.

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

If they are intentionally farming each other than that goes against the spirit of the gamem mode and should be banned. Other games do not encourage such a gamestyle.

Should be… but won’t be…

See Skyhammer Farming.

That said, a group of friends screwing around in a server isn’t really a problem. It can be great for duel-ing/practicing builds as well.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not really familiar with the PvP servers or arenas or whatever, but how do you know they are doing this? Are you there? They won’t play with you? Are you just afk, and watching? Or is this something with observer mode?

If it’s a private server/arena, I imagine they can do as they please. If it’s a public server/arena, then I imagine you can join in the fights and they won’t be able to ‘farm’ points or whatever without you engaging them in battle.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

idk, invite some friends into the arena they are in and kill them?

i have never cared much about this because their /rank doesn’t affect mine. it’s a game. i don’t sweat what someone else has or how they got it. the only person i can control is me. i wouldn’t do it, but don’t care if they do.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

EverythingEnds.4261

I’m not really familiar with the PvP servers or arenas or whatever, but how do you know they are doing this? Are you there? They won’t play with you? Are you just afk, and watching? Or is this something with observer mode?

If it’s a private server/arena, I imagine they can do as they please. If it’s a public server/arena, then I imagine you can join in the fights and they won’t be able to ‘farm’ points or whatever without you engaging them in battle.

I know, as sometimes I joined those servers. This are just common Hot Join Severs, not the “Skyhammer farm” custom Arenas, so you dont se whats going on on this servers, until you joined.

And when I am on those severs and see some nude Charakters who just stand around and get attacked and killed by the other players, this isnt probably about pvp.

…And today sombody whispered me something like this “plz let us just kill each other, it is for the halloween event”.

No offense to all PvE players, but if you dont have to play PvP for getting PvP achievement / stuff, I want a way of getting PvE stuff without playing PvE, too.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

So… let me see if I understand this…
People are going into a server that isn’t being used anyway and are fighting/farming/whatever each other.
This effects you… how? This is detrimental to the game… how?
No exploits being used. No breaking of the ToS. No hacking of the game.

I don’t see any problems here…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

People are going into a server that isn’t being used anyway and are fighting/farming/whatever each other.

I think it undermines how on can show off his rank.
On one hand you have the PvPer that goes through thick and thin and builds up rank which he is identified and respected by by strangers and on the other hand you have the guys that stand around naked taking turns killing each other attaining the same rank in a couple of days of excessive grinding.

In the end it devalues any meaning and prestige of PvP rank rendering it worthless.
IMO this isn’t a huge issue in the game but I can certainly see how people can get aggravated over it.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

“Of course you can say "if they are on their own server, nobody gets "harmed"", but on the other hand, this is no legit playstyle in my opinion, as PvP is about being competitive and not about farming each other."

PvP is about killing other players. Seriously. That’s it, that’s PvP. Killing other players. Kill player, you win.

If some players want to take turns offing each other for Daily or Monthly achieves – fine. They’re not gonna get the thrill you get out of the challenge of killing another player anyhow. I know I didn’t enjoy grinding the NPCs with Mad King finishers.

So what is the problem? Sure it’s cheap, but so is a mesmer porting people to the end of a jumping puzzle yet a lot of us rely on that because a reward has been set up that players want and the obstacle to get it is either a royal pain or something a player can’t do on their own.

This really sounds like “They aren’t playing PvP the way I want and ruining it”.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Astral Projections.7320

If they are PvEers, I doubt they are doing it for glory. If I was doing this I would be doing it for the achieve points, which is what it sounds like what they are doing. Like people trading fighting in costume brawl so first one wins then the other. If they aren’t doing it for glory, I’m not sure how it concerns a PvP person.

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

I bought the full game. I can play the full game, Spvp, pve and WvW.

Posted by: Silver.3284

Silver.3284

They are either doing it for glory or for APs. Either way it is cheating. It is exactly using exploits in a dungeon in order to get the gold and tokens – or your dungeon master title – and then saying “Why do you care how I play the game in an instance with my friends?”

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I think it undermines how on can show off his rank.
On one hand you have the PvPer that goes through thick and thin and builds up rank which he is identified and respected by by strangers and on the other hand you have the guys that stand around naked taking turns killing each other attaining the same rank in a couple of days of excessive grinding.

In the end it devalues any meaning and prestige of PvP rank rendering it worthless.
IMO this isn’t a huge issue in the game but I can certainly see how people can get aggravated over it.

Truth be told I could see how some people might get aggravated over it… But as others have pointed out in this thread, it’s doubtful they are doing it for Glory, as opposed to just doing it for AP and Dailies.
In either event, why make a big deal out of it?
As for ‘showing off rank’, yes, I suppose that can be seen that way. But as also been said earlier… Their /rank does not effect anyone else.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Respawn.6802

Respawn.6802

Be glad anyone is in PvP, if just one of those kill traders likes the gamemode and stays on to compete then the PvP community playerbase will increase by 4%.

ozmaniandevil.6805

Ah ok…people are using it to get the achievement for usng halloween finishers. Now i understand. However i agree with one person who said they paid for the game and can play it. Imagine it’s hard for people who don’t PvP or WvW to get that achievement! I may end up doing the same since WvW is DEAD thanks to the event. I was hoping to join a zerg there and use the finishers but now i think i may not be able to.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Unfortunately the game allows this, i think if the game wasn’t unspeakably grindy and very little fun people wouldn’t need to do this.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

This really sounds like “They aren’t playing PvP the way I want and ruining it”.

It is cheating and needs to be fixed, regardless of how I or anyone else is playing.

Aerlen.5326

It is cheating and needs to be fixed, regardless of how I or anyone else is playing.

So is asking a mesmer to port you to the end of a JP so you can collect the prize but many people rely on those mesmer ports and get rewarded same as if they actually did the JP. Are you against that too? Do you believe that should also be changed?

If they are going into PvP to get the Daily/Monthly achieves – how does this affect you and your game play experience and the GW2 world at large that makes you cry “cheating!”? Is it that they’re getting achievement points you feel they don’t deserve? How would you suggesting fixing this? You can’t exactly force players to only play PvP by your rules, the QQ of forcing new and strict rules into PvP would be incredible.

As to the example of “How would you feel if someone got Dungeon Master title by doing nothing/cheating??” – I wouldn’t care. What matters to me is how I got my title and I don’t care how anyone else got theirs. For all I know, anyone at any time could have used an exploit. It doesn’t take away from my experience nor does it make me want to “cheat” or feel slighted if I don’t have that title yet.

The easiest fix to this is to remove Daily and Monthly PvP rewards – you’d see no one bother unless it was something like grinding out Mad King finishers for a LS achieve. Are you in favor of this?

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

So is asking a mesmer to port you to the end of a JP so you can collect the prize but many people rely on those mesmer ports and get rewarded same as if they actually did the JP. Are you against that too? Do you believe that should also be changed?

If they are going into PvP to get the Daily/Monthly achieves – how does this affect you and your game play experience and the GW2 world at large that makes you cry “cheating!”? Is it that they’re getting achievement points you feel they don’t deserve? How would you suggesting fixing this? You can’t exactly force players to only play PvP by your rules, the QQ of forcing new and strict rules into PvP would be incredible.

As to the example of “How would you feel if someone got Dungeon Master title by doing nothing/cheating??” – I wouldn’t care. What matters to me is how I got my title and I don’t care how anyone else got theirs. For all I know, anyone at any time could have used an exploit. It doesn’t take away from my experience nor does it make me want to “cheat” or feel slighted if I don’t have that title yet.

The easiest fix to this is to remove Daily and Monthly PvP rewards – you’d see no one bother unless it was something like grinding out Mad King finishers for a LS achieve. Are you in favor of this?

JPs are group objectives as much as they are single player objectives, so using group skills to reach them easier is perfectly fine.

Farming each other, however, is plain cheating.

Astral Projections.7320

JPs are group objectives as much as they are single player objectives, so using group skills to reach them easier is perfectly fine.

People alternate winning costume brawl also for the daily achieve. Is that cheating? You can say it is but how does it hurt yours or anyone else’s gameplay?

Posted by: Mastermavrick.2439

Mastermavrick.2439

something something LS stomp achiv something something….. @ what they were doing..

The Revenant Apostle [Rvnt]→ DragonBand
Kaiji Ruko – 80 Ranger, Revanat Shadowdeath – 80 Necromancer

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

GW2 actually does encourage this game style ever since it added achievement points / rewards. There are people who enjoy hunting achievement points, but do not enjoy PvP. Not the fault of the player, but faulty game design.

One way to alleviate this would be to have a maximum of say 5 daily achievement points, but keep the daily lists as they are currently. Once someone has finished 5 out of the available 14 or so daily tasks, their overall daily is done and no more points can be achieved from dailies for that day.

So people could actually pick and chose their 5 preferred ways of fulfilling the daily, and be done with it. Instead of hunting after every single one, by whatever means necessary.

(edited by Bezayne.6459)

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

farming points is bad.
trying build / playstyle and duel is not bad.
we use sPvP to test combos, traits, or other stuff to bring to wvw and honestly the fact that sometime the match ends it’s a waste of time.
I hope they will put in a duel area where ppl can try abilities and equip for free using pve stats.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

As long as this game involves mindless grind I’ll support any mindless way to bypass this grind.

If you prevent this, you would only fix the symptom, not the root of the problem. Don’t blame the player, blame the game.

I mean, seriously, what did they expect when they made an achevement for stomping 20 ppl with the new stomp?

(edited by Molch.2078)

Posted by: Tasida.4085

Tasida.4085

I still don’t see how this affects any pvper directly? Who cares what they’re doing as long as it doesn’t affect you? And no 1 group pve/pvp has special priveleges or rights to any area of an OPEN WORLD game.
Just mind your own affairs and let them kill each other or whatever they are doing. If they’re having fun or daily’s big deal. Unless you just need the space they’re on for more complaining or something. GAME ON

Noble Dragons (NOBL) rocking GW’s since 2005 now rocking the Sorrow’s Furnace Server!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I would like to point out that this issue is not limited to PvE players. There are plenty of PvP players that take such shortcuts to farm points as well.

This issue existed in GW1 as well (red resign anyone? /roll resign?). It was seen in hero battles, in gvg, in hoh, in ta. It does not surprise me that the issue has cropped back up here. However, I do take issue with the assumption that it’s only PvE players doing it.

Additionally, no anet does not support this type of play, as Vol said, it is against the spirit of the game mode. They did take some actions in GW1 to reduce this issue, so I would believe that if reported, they would look into how to curb the issue here as well. They might not have an immediate fix though.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

EverythingEnds.4261

Ah ok…people are using it to get the achievement for usng halloween finishers. Now i understand. However i agree with one person who said they paid for the game and can play it. Imagine it’s hard for people who don’t PvP or WvW to get that achievement! I may end up doing the same since WvW is DEAD thanks to the event. I was hoping to join a zerg there and use the finishers but now i think i may not be able to.

I paid for this game, too. So where’s my legendary?!

Yes it is hard for people who don’t PvP to get that achievement. So what?
If you play just PvP, 90% of all achievements in this game will probably be very hard.

I haven’t given that mutch attention to the last Update, but is this “stomp-achievemnt” so ultra-super-duper-important?
No! It gives you 3 AP, thats it!
It is just about people grinding achievement points.

Why do people always compain about that they have to do something for earning APs?

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

You need 13 halloween achievments to finish the halloween-quest and gain access to the storymode instance. Its not about AP only.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

It’s funny, that achievement isn’t even that hard to do in PvP at all. Hotjoin a game, run around with people on your team, help down enemy players and then use the finisher on them. I did it, and it only took maybe 30 minutes of my time.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Aerlen.5326

You didn’t answer my questions.

Other posters are right though, GW2 does encourage this behavior and I’m really failing to see how this personally hurts others. A guild or friends going into PvP could also be seen as a group activity and if they all want to help each other get better at the game or earn rewards, why is it suddenly “cheating”? It’s cheap, just like mesmer portals and any activity where you let someone else win, but who is really being cheated here?

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

EverythingEnds.4261

It’s funny, that achievement isn’t even that hard to do in PvP at all. Hotjoin a game, run around with people on your team, help down enemy players and then use the finisher on them. I did it, and it only took maybe 30 minutes of my time.

That’s great!

And in fact, it isn’t that hard to kill somebody in PvP.

It is this attitude of some players, which seem like they dont even want to touch PvP with gloves and a protection overal on the one hand, but still want to get the pvp achievements. This is what I cant stand.

Astral Projections.7320

Anytime you have a PvE meta with PvP requirements you are going to see this sort of thing. Many PvE people don’t want to PvP at all, as in a zero amount, and if the AP points for the meta has PvP then they are going to try to get it without doing actual PvP.

Just wait for this meta to end and they will go away.

If you make them feel unwanted, the ones who might be willing to try PvP after doing this will be chased away also, complaining to their other PvE friends about rude PvP people are and how it’s really not worth doing any sort of PvP. You should consider it PvP with training wheels for the PvEers.

ozmaniandevil.6805

I’m not complaining. The OP is complaining, as are others in this thread. I’m explaining why people might be doing what the OP described. It does not break the game for you. Those players are playing the game the way they want, just as you are.

Posted by: Thanguard.4861

Thanguard.4861

So, I consider myself a PvE player. I don’t do PvP, have 0 interest in PvP, hope to never ever in my entire life do PvP in any way whatsoever. You’re annoyed, because someone is devaluing your kitten by grinding PvP kills. Woo, big freaking deal. Here’s news for you, no one cares. I don’t care if you have some ungodly PvP rank, I’ll still laugh at you, it means exactly nothing. Congratulations, you have a lot of free time to waste. I want the meta achievement. I think the mini is neat, and I want to take part in the story mode. Oh look, I need some kittened PvP achievement to get that. Guess what, I’ll take whatever action is necessary to unlock the PvE experience that involves as little contact with PvP as I can possibly manage.

If PvE players weren’t doing it this way, instead of this post we’d have one on here griping about all the bad PvE players in the PvP arenas, and how can’t all these stupid PvE players stay out of PvP. You know what, we are, EXCEPT when anet forces us to go into PvP because of idiotic decision like tying PvE content to PvP actions.

As a PvP player how would you like it if anet started tying PvP stuff to PvE achievements? Oh you want that ultimate slayer of whatever title? Sorry, you need to go complete 20 jumping puzzles. Want to take part in this PvP event? You need to go complete these 5 dungeons first.

EverythingEnds.4261

^
And this is, why I have something, against some kind of PvE players ^^.

Here are some news for you Thanguard:

1. You can achieve the meta achievemt by doing the Living-story related dailies, too.
You only have to get into PvP, if you want absolute every Ap, which is possible.

2. Hot Join, is full of beginners, as this is basicaly the sense of Hot Join. (Give new players a place to practice and players who aren’t interested in playing on tournament level a place to play PvP.

3. Yea, how would PvP players feel, if ANet tied PvP stuff to PvE?
cough cough Custom Arenas for which you need gems cough cough Itemshop Skins cough cough Black Lion Chest Skins cough cough Skins from the Crown pavillon cough cough All Backpacks ever cough cough
…yep, I have no Idea how this would feel…

…but as you have no knowlege about PvP, you probably dont know this…

Aerlen.5326

^
And this is, why I have something, against some kind of PvE players ^^.

Here are some news for you Thanguard:

1. You can achieve the meta achievemt by doing the Living-story related dailies, too.
You only have to get into PvP, if you want absolute every Ap, which is possible.

2. Hot Join, is full of beginners, as this is basicaly the sense of Hot Join. (Give new players a place to practice and players who aren’t interested in playing on tournament level a place to play PvP.

3. Yea, how would PvP players feel, if ANet tied PvP stuff to PvE?
cough cough Custom Arenas for which you need gems cough cough Itemshop Skins cough cough Black Lion Chest Skins cough cough Skins from the Crown pavillon cough cough All Backpacks ever cough cough
…yep, I have no Idea how this would feel…

…but as you have no knowlege about PvP, you probably dont know this…

“Play my way, you n00b, you know nothing about PvP and I’m right to cleverly insult and hold a grudge against you.”

About number three there…. anything regarding Gems can be bought by anyone anywhere who plays any part of the game – Paypal isn’t PvE only.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Aerlen, he’s right about 1 and 2. You don’t HAVE to do PvP unless you want every achievement point, and Hotjoin is where I got all my kills when I actually wanted to PvP for the AP.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Thanguard.4861

Thanguard.4861

The PvP achievement is listed as one of the required ones for the meta. You need the meta to take part in the story mode. How exactly can you do the story mode without doing the PvP part of the meta?

On part 3 I don’t see anything there that you can’t just buy from the store, and the backpack is a vanity item not a PvP item. I’m talking about if they created an arena you could only take part in if you completed some PvE content, like doing jumping puzzles or completing some set of high level dungeons. That’s basically the equivalent of them tying the living world story quest to a PvP only achievement. If I could just pay some gems to take part I wouldn’t even bother with the PvP stuff, but as it stands now I have no choice.