Your Time gating answers revealed!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JBDanger.2603

JBDanger.2603

Arena net is a business and they’re in the business to make money! So with that being said…

Time Gating = Player’s logging in daily = The game appears to be growing = Keeping share holders happy = Investors investing more into Arena Net!

There you go. If the game looks like its expanding, investors will invest more which puts more money into arena nets pocket while we suffer with time gated and rushed glitchy content!

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Do what i’m doing now don’t play the game and boycott it and post on forum to vent your anger!

Posted by: JBDanger.2603

JBDanger.2603

Do what i’m doing now don’t play the game and boycott it and post on forum to vent your anger!

I pretty much have already. Basically for the last month or so, I’ve only logged in to do daily’s if that! There’s nothing here keeping my interest until new permanent areas are opened up to explore.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Good point. Because its’ bad for those playing the game to have more players.

Oh, you mean it’s bad for games to try to keep people playing.

The funny bit is, people ARE playing the game. Concurrency numbers are going up. So you might think that Anet is doing the wrong thing…but in reality, people are playing the game.

So your idea is to get people to stop playing a game they paid for, so they can go and play another game, when every MMO has similar sorts of things to keep people playing.

Why do MMOs need this? Because MMOs are dependent on lots of people playing and because there’s a lot of competition.

Welcome to the genre.

Posted by: Mahaedros.7085

Mahaedros.7085

The funny bit is, people ARE playing the game. Concurrency numbers are going up. So you might think that Anet is doing the wrong thing…but in reality, people are playing the game.

So your idea is to get people to stop playing a game they paid for, so they can go and play another game, when every MMO has similar sorts of things to keep people playing.

Why do MMOs need this? Because MMOs are dependent on lots of people playing and because there’s a lot of competition.

Welcome to the genre.

good point. hype to everyone that you are making it a revolutionary MMORPG that solves all the problems of past MMORPGs so much that people that “hate MMOs…” are going to love your new and different MMORPG.

Yes it is good to see more players playing. Time gating is one answer and it’s not even remotely the best answer to keep players playing.

I love GW2 and I want to see better solutions than time gating. I don’t care what every other MMO does.

Time gating is something I do not wish to endure and the forums are the place for me to express this sentiment.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

xephire.8324

There’s nothing revolutionary about GW2… just some small tweaks to make it different.

Posted by: Mahaedros.7085

Mahaedros.7085

There’s nothing revolutionary about GW2… just some small tweaks to make it different.

If you had your choice, would you want GW2 to blow your mind with awesome new content and perhaps some revolutionary new things, or would you choose to have GW2 use tricks and manipulation instead of innovation to keep players playing?

I don’t miss the trinity and many other things that were MMORPG standards for a few years…maybe the trinity isn’t the best example but still i like the differences in GW2 and I hate the things that they are using to manipulate and cheaply trick players into logging on that are from the past MMORPGs that less and less people play.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

xephire.8324

If you had your choice, would you want GW2 to blow your mind with awesome new content and perhaps some revolutionary new things, or would you choose to have GW2 use tricks and manipulation instead of innovation to keep players playing?

I don’t miss the trinity and many other things that were MMORPG standards for a few years…maybe the trinity isn’t the best example but still i like the differences in GW2 and I hate the things that they are using to manipulate and cheaply trick players into logging on that are from the past MMORPGs that less and less people play.

Definitely an update that has been carefully made and not rushed to blow my mind.They definitely felt their player base is decreasing that’s why they resort to these cheap tricks to bring people in.What they did was they hyped about things that player don’t like will not be in their games during launch.After that its history,they’re slowing putting it in game.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

The funny bit is, people ARE playing the game. Concurrency numbers are going up.

Glad to hear ArenaNet’s selling out wasn’t for nothing.

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

I pretty much have already. Basically for the last month or so, I’ve only logged in to do daily’s if that! There’s nothing here keeping my interest until new permanent areas are opened up to explore.

I will probably play once a month if Anet is lucky. Meanwhile I hear there is this amazing casual friendly card game that will blow the minds of game companys investors.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Time Gating = Players logging in daily = Players getting bored/frustrated/annoyed/burnt out = Players logging in less = Game noticeably stalling = Shareholders become upset = More extreme measures are taken to retain players = Game become unplayable = Small set of core gamers remain = ANet pulls plug.

Time-gating is a short term solution that doesn’t have sustainability. Whenever you “force” players to play the game your way, it will serve only to drive them away.

Players want to log in because they like to, not because they feel they have to.

If ANet truly wants to retain their player base, and expand, they need to stop thinking with their bank accounts, and start thinking with their gamer hats. When they start releasing well done, well tested, and well written content, players will show up. When they start creating a reason beyond gear/achievement chasing, people will become emotionally attached to the game.

When they stop trying to sucker us all into buying gems, and just offer well done, well tested, and awesome things for sale, players will support the game.

RNG, Living World (bugs, release speed, shallowness, focus on achievements, etc), bugs, insta-kill mechanics, PvP neglect, grind, time-gating, focus on gear over fun, reliance on farming, etc….these will kill the game.

darkace.8925

Time Gating = Players logging in daily = Players getting bored/frustrated/annoyed/burnt out = Players logging in less = Game noticeably stalling = Shareholders become upset = More extreme measures are taken to retain players = Game become unplayable = Small set of core gamers remain = ANet pulls plug.

Time-gating is a short term solution that doesn’t have sustainability. Whenever you “force” players to play the game your way, it will serve only to drive them away.

Players want to log in because they like to, not because they feel they have to.

If ANet truly wants to retain their player base, and expand, they need to stop thinking with their bank accounts, and start thinking with their gamer hats. When they start releasing well done, well tested, and well written content, players will show up. When they start creating a reason beyond gear/achievement chasing, people will become emotionally attached to the game.

When they stop trying to sucker us all into buying gems, and just offer well done, well tested, and awesome things for sale, players will support the game.

RNG, Living World (bugs, release speed, shallowness, focus on achievements, etc), bugs, insta-kill mechanics, PvP neglect, grind, time-gating, focus on gear over fun, reliance on farming, etc….these will kill the game.

While I agree with the sentiment of your post, the reality is probably the exact opposite. Too many players have been conditioned to fall for the psychological addictions employed by game developers these days. The reason ArenaNet is using things like dailies, achievements, loot, etc, is because they work.

Zynga isn’t a successful company because it makes good games, it’s successful because it knows how to keep players logging in. Unfortunately for those of us who bought in expecting something different, ArenaNet is just borrowing pages from Zynga’s playbook. That these kinds of tactics are “industry norms” doesn’t make it any less palpable to see in this game.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Blame the players for being sheep, not the company for selling them grass.

There are players out there right now that have been sitting in Sparkfly for hours upon hours waiting to get into their main server to do Teq. Literally sitting there and doing nothing for hours so they can get a few achievement points. Those are the people you should be directing your anger at, not ArenaNet

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

Blame the players for being sheep, not the company for selling them grass.

There are players out there right now that have been sitting in Sparkfly for hours upon hours waiting to get into their main server to do Teq. Literally sitting there and doing nothing for hours so they can get a few achievement points. Those are the people you should be directing your anger at, not ArenaNet

Yes let us blame those poor saps who have nothing better to do. Lets not blame the company that is clearly exploiting their willingness to chase after every new carrot that comes out.

Let us instead blame both of them and focus on fixing the one we have a chance to fix; the company.

xephire.8324

I will probably play once a month if Anet is lucky. Meanwhile I hear there is this amazing casual friendly card game that will blow the minds of game companys investors.

You mean heart stone?

Vayne.8563

Welcome to the genre.

good point. hype to everyone that you are making it a revolutionary MMORPG that solves all the problems of past MMORPGs so much that people that “hate MMOs…” are going to love your new and different MMORPG.

Yes it is good to see more players playing. Time gating is one answer and it’s not even remotely the best answer to keep players playing.

I love GW2 and I want to see better solutions than time gating. I don’t care what every other MMO does.

Time gating is something I do not wish to endure and the forums are the place for me to express this sentiment.

No one every said everything in this game is going to be different from everything in every other game.

I really don’t like other MMOs. I like this MMO. For that reason, and many others, that hype was justified. But there’s another problem.

I legitimately think Anet overestimated how much the public will ALLOW you to change a formula without abandoning it.

You may well be ready for the next generation MMO….I don’t think the most of the people playing are. You can see it from many of the posts here.

The other flaw in your logic is this…what if 12 people who don’t like MMOs, would all like different non-MMO games.

A slogan is not reality.

Vayne.8563

Shakespeare’s plays weren’t revolutionary. They used words that had been around for ages and themes familiar since the greeks invented theater.

Vayne.8563

The funny bit is, people ARE playing the game. Concurrency numbers are going up.

Glad to hear ArenaNet’s selling out wasn’t for nothing.

What’s selling out? What if they kept to their original idea and everyone stopped playing. What if there were four guys left and you couldn’t find a group for your dungeon.

Would that have suited you better?

darkace.8925

What’s selling out?

Come on now…we’re all adults here, let’s not play these games.

What if they kept to their original idea and everyone stopped playing. What if there were four guys left and you couldn’t find a group for your dungeon.

What if they’d stuck to their original ideas and had a few less players but still more than enough to turn a very healthy profit? What if they stuck with their original ideas long enough for those addicted to grinds and treadmills to get through their withdrawals and realize how great the “play for fun” model could have been?

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

Funny… that s not what they said a year ago:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Is_it_fun

I would love to know what happened at ANET a few months before launch. It is definitely not the same company i knew.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

champ.7021

Funny… that s not what they said a year ago:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Is_it_fun

I would love to know what happened at ANET a few months before launch. It is definitely not the same company i knew.

NC soft walked by and said, “congrats on the fun part now show me how you’re going to make me money”

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I wish there was some kind of huge mmo that suddenly came out and hurt gw2’s population significantly. Only then anet would stop with their bs mini bananas and flutes introduced to gem store every two weeks and start building real quality content that evolves with time nor gets old after a couple of weeks.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I wish there was some kind of huge mmo that suddenly came out and hurt gw2’s population significantly. Only then anet would stop with their bs mini bananas and flutes introduced to gem store every two weeks and start building real quality content that evolves with time nor gets old after a couple of weeks.

The last time that happened, they introduced tier gear grind…be careful what you wish for…

Edit: I’m pretty sure when that MMO comes out, whatever it is, I’ll be playing that and not GW2. It’s really just about too late for ArenaNet to salvage this game into anything that interests me any more. I just don’t like the directions they’ve been taking it since launch.

(edited by Chuo.4238)

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

The last time that happened, they introduced tier gear grind…be careful what you wish for…

i said significant, nothing like that came even close. Now if EQN were to be released in 2 months i could bet you anything that introducing a brand new tier with rainbow colored inscription wouldn’t do kitten. Only then they would start panicking, stop being lazy and release content interesting to the point of bringing ppl back from that other game. Right now they have no competition so they’re milking the cow as much as possible (aka CoD/Activision).

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Lovin’ this post big time.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

+1 to this. More people who feel this way need to be speaking up.

champ.7021

Can we just make a seperate thread of just this post and sticky it

Vayne.8563

What’s selling out?

Come on now…we’re all adults here, let’s not play these games.

What if they kept to their original idea and everyone stopped playing. What if there were four guys left and you couldn’t find a group for your dungeon.

What if they’d stuck to their original ideas and had a few less players but still more than enough to turn a very healthy profit? What if they stuck with their original ideas long enough for those addicted to grinds and treadmills to get through their withdrawals and realize how great the “play for fun” model could have been?

That’s my point. If the game lost enough people, they’d stop making content, and those who played and championed the game would eventually leave. There’s no games here. There’s this idealistic idea that someone should stick to their principles no matter what. This isn’t “live free or die”. This is no vertical progression. There’s a big difference between these sets of principles. This isn’t real life, it’s a game.

Except to the people who are working on it…for them it’s real life. Like STWoR which had to lay off half it’s staff and TSW which laid off one third of its staff. Who do you think is more important, your enjoyment of a sixty dollar game or the livilihood of the people who worked on it? Business decisions are made to save businesses all the time and very often those decisions are unpopular.

No one can say what would have happened if Anet hadn’t introduced ascended gear. For all I know the game could have more people playing than today (but I doubt that would be the case).

The point is, Anet saw a problem and they moved to head off the problem. Some would call that selling out…some would call it pragmatism.