Your character names origins

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Swagman.9013

Swagman.9013

One thing I really love seeing is the creative names that people can come up with in mmo’s and this one more so because names are unique across all servers. So it’s a simple request, I would like to know what inspiration you had in coming up with your characters name. Even if it’s as simple as, I spelled my last name backwards, id like to hear it.
My characters,
Swagman, derived directly from the Australian folksong Waltzing Matilda, was my rogues name since vanilla wow

Asphodal Albus, I really like this one, I got this one from a Grecian flower called an asphodel, and there is actually a sub species called the asphodelus Albus, Albus being Latin for white. In mythology it is said that when Persephone accompanied Hades to the river Styx she cried, and wherever her tears fell asphodel flowers grew. Asphodal is my go to female name in any game.

Callideae, my sylvari, I got from the scientific classification of a genus of flower.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Thanks to the ingenious idea that ANet had making all names global I resorted to using “hot human pixels” because idgaf what my name is if I can’t have the ones I want. It’s nothing special.

My next character will probably be something along the lines of Arthasdkqt Deathface

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Xericor.9103

Xericor.9103

Xericor…
Been using it for years, in every game I play. Cant really remember how I came up with it, probably an off shot from Xerxes (not 300, long before then. My other hobby is historical wargaming)

www.auroraglade.eu – Community Site for Aurora Glade!

Posted by: Kelrick.3046

Kelrick.3046

And I had no issues getting every one of my character names. Even ones I didn’t reserve on GW1

Currently I have two primary characters.

Ragnar Edvardsson – Norn Warrior
Kelrick DeBride – Human Ele.

I’ve been using Ragnar in a lot of MMOs as a character name with different last names attached. I was Ragnar Darkan in GW1. I decided in GW2 to go a more traditional Norn name.

Kelrick is a mass-up of my fiance’s and my first name and last name. I started using that one in more Modern/Sci-fi type MMOs. ala SWTOR, APB-Reloaded, and TSW.

Posted by: Bastion.2457

Bastion.2457

Bastion Baruta

Bastion has always been a name I loved, I plan to call my son it if ever I have one.

Baruta is short for Sarutabaruta, the first zone I entered in Final Fantasy XI, which was my first full time MMo. So many memories every time I hear that piece of music, so I keep the name with me wherever I go, if I can name characters in that way.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Blaeys is a derivation of Bleys, who was the sorcerer that taught magic to Merlin in Arthurian legend.

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

i find these sorts of topics are far more interesting to me than it would be to others I am sharing with just because it’s my writing, but I name all of my characters typically (with some small exceptions for joke characters occasionally) after characters from my writing. i would like to be a published author some day.

My main character is my 42 Thief Krei, and I’m actually not sure where I came up with this name. I had a brief stint in the early years in WoW where I briefly quit the game because I became very ill for several weeks and could not play and my friends that I had been playing with sorely outleveled me, so I lost motivation. When I resubbed, I had a level 1 rogue on my server named Krei that I had no memory of making and it turned into the character that I first level capped and raided with.

Another of my characters’ names is Ephridel which is actually the name of a male character in my writing (I purposely designed it to be sort of ambiguous.) I actually ended up playing more girl characters with this name in MMOs than guys—i’m not sure i can name a male MMO character I named Ephridel, in fact.

when i’m taking off from being all ~immersive~ i usually go for goofy names like “Angrydad” (im sad this one is taken on this game) and “Dieing,” which I’ve always used for my healer in other MMOs. I had a priest on WoW that I didn’t know what to name and I had a guy in guild mispell dying as “dieing” and i immediately remembered such a comical (Sorry to anyone who does this!) error, needed to have it, renamed my character to “Dieing.” He wasn’t thrilled about it, but it made me happy and I thanked him.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Let’s see…

• Ceridwen for my sylvari Ranger because I wanted something pretty and welsh;
  • Magpie for my human Thief because the birds have a thieving reputation;
  • Anja Ironbreaker for my norn Guardian because that was the name of my Warrior in GW1;
  • Firshala for my human elementalist, taken from the name of a fire spirit my character worships in an ongoing RuneQuest game;
  • Victoria Valance because I wanted something that sounded aristocratic to go with my grenade tossing, flame-throwing, mine laying, shotgun toting engineer.

I have two others, but I don’t play them much right now, so I can’t even remember their names.

Swagman.9013

@Lethlora
Bonus points for the wonderfully descriptive paragraph, but of course, such is to be expected of one who fancies herself adept at the English language.

Your own recount of your priest in wow reminded me of my priest Ailment.

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Aurick Soulwarder – Charr Guaridian

Charr surnames are based on their warband name and something related to them. My warband is the Soul warband and “warder” seemed to roll off the tongue better than other defense related terms. Charr first names have hard guttural sounds. Going with the theme as guardians being bringers protection I went with Aurick as it has a hard kay sound and means protecting ruler.

(edited by SirMoogie.9263)

Posted by: SheckyS.6241

SheckyS.6241

I have often used the name Draziw in many RPGs going back to the 70s or 80s.

It’s an old Russian word that means “One who doesn’t like PvP”.

I’m kidding, of course. It’s just Wizard spelled backward.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

@Lethlora
Bonus points for the wonderfully descriptive paragraph, but of course, such is to be expected of one who fancies herself adept at the English language.

Your own recount of your priest in wow reminded me of my priest Ailment.

Ahh, that reminded me of another of my character names. Sholia is my sylvari Mesmer, which also happened to be the name of my priest in WoW. It’s the name of a tragic heroine figure, from a book called Stargate.

Posted by: Stratto.3869

Stratto.3869

My character’s name is Solan Aceae, the scientific name for Nightshade. He’s a Sylvari Thief, all black with glowing red inlays (when it’s night time).

Posted by: Dreadlord.2791

Dreadlord.2791

Back when games were installed from floppies and diskettes, SSI released a Dungeons and Dragons game who’s main badazz boss was named Dreadlord. Been using it ever since. It also is getting more popular as it I am finding more often it is already being used. Then I go with SirDreadlord since I am likely the older of the two.

Posted by: thethirteenthapostle.5086

thethirteenthapostle.5086

Caztiel – The Angel of Thursday….nuff said.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Panthro Dragonbane-Charr Ranger

Panthro of course because of the Thundercats and what better last name than Dragonbane when facing dragons

Adine Kara-Human Mesmer
The orgin of this one is a little odd as its the name of an Ex girlfriend and her online alias ( wasn’t an ex at the time) but since it was my main in Guild Wars 1 i felt obligated to reuse the name . Besides the personality of the Guild Wars Adine Kara is far different than the real one lol.

Posted by: Rick.6751

Rick.6751

My Norn warrior is named Magnus Bjorn which translates as mighty bear.

A bit cliche but who cares.

Posted by: Ordika.9513

Ordika.9513

See signature for names:

The first is from the Republic Commando’s books and has been my go to gaming name for a number of years now (5 or more)

The second are for two characters from the movie Krull, the first name being the name of Liam Neeson’s character from the movie. (Should probably add that the spelling being off comes from a child’s misunderstanding of English accents).

The third is my first D&D character (half drow Dark Soul Sorcerer) and the last name is pronouced Wyther (with the th replaced with dd which is pronounced th in welsh).

Ordika Skirata || Keirstaad Rhith || Rhun Turold || Quinten Vigar || Ahrung Park
Swansonites of North Shiverpeak – Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by Ordika.9513)

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

I always use names with a bell theme. Female characters are always called ‘Campana’ and male characters ‘Carillon.’

My norn warrior is Campana the Sverd (Sverd being the closest I can come to the old norse word for ‘sword’.)

My human elementalist is called Campana the Arcane.

My charr ranger is Carillon Naedre (naedre being an Old English word for adder).

Swagman.9013

Back when games were installed from floppies and diskettes, SSI released a Dungeons and Dragons game who’s main badazz boss was named Dreadlord. Been using it ever since. It also is getting more popular as it I am finding more often it is already being used. Then I go with SirDreadlord since I am likely the older of the two.

Yea I guess sir sounds better than Dreadlord Sr.
That one sounds like you might beat them with a cane.

Posted by: Digital Dragon.2697

Digital Dragon.2697

I have a Norn Thief, Aelni Kelioa, and Norn Ele, Pelia Kelioa. I’m Hawaiian so wanted something to sound Hawaiian, so I used the alphabet. Pelia I got the idea from Pele.

I actually bought a dictionary of Gods and Goddess a few years back, specifically for MMO names. It really comes in handy.

(edited by Digital Dragon.2697)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

My main (human ranger) is called Danielle Aurorel.
Danielle was just a random name I happened to like back when I first created her for UO and I’ve stuck with it ever since. I forget when the surname got added but that had more thought behind it. It’s a combination of the latin word ‘aurora’ and the quenyan ‘elen’ and means ‘dawn star’. (It could also be star light, but I don’t like that one as much.)

Ilex Hedera (norn engineer) is the latin for holly ivy. I first came up with it for GW1 when I was creating a temorary character near Christmas and feeling uncreative, but everything with holly in it was taken. Then I remembered I liked the word Ilex, looked up the latin for ivy, decided it fit and it wasn’t taken. Then I ended up liking the name and using it for a bunch of characters.

Alleria Wildrunner is fairly obvious. A tribute to one of my favourite characters from one of my favourite games. I was hoping to get Windrunner but it was already taken by the time I woke up on the first day of headstart.

Then there’s my charr thief, Wraith Darkblade where the name was made to fit the character. I like Wraith but I’m not entirely happy with Darkblade, it seems kind of unoriginal but I wasn’t able to think of anything better that still fit the charr naming scheme.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: ZenBones.1759

ZenBones.1759

My main is a Sylvari warrior named Arbract.

The name came from combining Arboreal (tree-like) and Bract (specialized leaf).

——————-
-ZenBones

Posted by: Porky.5021

Porky.5021

I have an Asuran thief named Sylkk.

When I was growing up, I read the series The Belgariad by David Eddings. One of the characters was a shifty little man named Silk. Fast, agile, liked stealing things.

I usually try to use that name when making burg/thief type characters.

Silk was taken, as was Sylk, and, lacking any creativity or originality, I tried Sylkk third and it worked.

Overlord Of [NAKY]
SOS Spy Team Commander [SPY]

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

Norn Elementalist Claudia Skullburn.

Claudia derives from Claudia Cregg, a character of the show “The West Wing”.

Skullburn is the result of pondering too much about which race and profession to choose…

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

I suck at making names, I’ve been using this one as mine for like 8 years. I don’t have much imagination…

Male Charr Ele – Korr Baneflare…Korr because it sounded Charr’ish, it really has no meaning beyond that. Friends decided on the Bane warband because we had all just watched Batman so it seemed obvious…flare because it’s an elementalist.

Female Human Mesmer – Porcia Orestes, random name + A Perfect Circle song, or part of greek mythology, whatever you prefer. Works for me.

Posted by: dchsknight.3042

dchsknight.3042

My mains name is Dreki wyrmslayer. Dreki is sweedish for dragon!

Swagman.9013

Isn’t that almost like Dragon Dragonslayer?

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

sukoshi kiba. aka little fang. people just call me little. bosses notice me when i get my fangs in em.

=]

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

Æstrid Ingegärd. An actual viking name.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

My main Mesmer is called Diamond Mask- from Julian May- once in a beta I had a guy called Sugoll res me!
My Elementalist: Zian Zy- I made it up
My Guardian: Isabella Katerina is called after my grandmother, who would have made an awesome Guardian
My Thief: Crowgirl- from Charles De Lindt- the line-" we both carry a smile to show that we’re pleased
we both carry a switchblade up our sleeves"
My Engineer: Miss Tricky Pockets

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

Æstrid Ingegärd. An actual viking name.

Except Ingegärd is usually a given name :P

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

My son bet me that I couldn’t get my own name in GW2. I won the bet, and my main is named “Deb”. I have “Deborah” in reserve, too.

My Sylvari is called “Yarrow”, which comes from my garden, after one of my favorite herbs.

Zingpow, my Charr warrior, is carrying forward one of my favorite names from a previous game. The name brings cartoon dialog bubbles to mind and always makes me smile.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

(edited by Debsylvania.7396)

Posted by: Greg.4362

Greg.4362

I have two characters. One named Gillas derais from the anime fate/zero, caster class. My other is pricilla from the anime claymore. She was considered a badgirl if you catch my drift. I know i spelled it wrong but i think it’s cool

Posted by: GrimShade.8091

GrimShade.8091

My Sylvari Thief Death Camas – taken from the poisonous plant

My Mez Elusive Temptation, my girlfriend picked the name, I liked it so much it stuck

My Norn Guardian Eir Svalinn – Svalinn is the shield that guards the sun, Eir is the ‘goddess’ associated with medical skill, per Wiki…

My elly is the name of an aurora.

Grim Shade is a play on my favorite classes from Diablo 2. Necy’s and Assassin’s. The name dates back that far.

Posted by: Tlu.4269

Tlu.4269

I took Christbacca. I have one of these in my office. It inspired me.

And that is a scientific fact!

Posted by: ituhata.6830

ituhata.6830

Caelthras – Sylvari Ranger

Because Flora the Explorer was already taken >:(

Caelthras – Fort Aspenwood
3rd Flora Artillery Unit

Posted by: Eve.1029

Eve.1029

Mysticeve – Human elementalist and my main

Seven years ago, when I started a new online game, I wanted a name that’s speaks to that fun, adventurous, and “relax after a long day” experience I look for in a MMO.

Mystical evening was the original inspiration and I shortened it to MysticEve so it was more “name like.”

Posted by: Jonny.6013

Jonny.6013

Lauengram Pinched from a character in a scenario from an old tabletop RPG.
Cyrona Pinched from a character in a scenario from an old tabletop RPG.
Darsu Dhberac Pinched from a character in a scenario from an old tabletop RPG.
Auscia Pinched from a character in a scenario from an old tabletop RPG.
Starnia Pinched from a character in a scenario from an old tabletop RPG.
Eraphio Pinched from a character in a scenario from an old tabletop RPG (and then modified by me…)
Maugre Pinched from a character in a scenario from an old tabletop RPG.
Myrikos Pinched from a character in a scenario from an old tabletop RPG.
Davenant Pinched from Magic: The Gathering card game.
Jalen Irsei Pinched from Michael Moorkitten’s Corum Trilogies – the protagonist of which is Corum Jhaelen Irsei.

:)

Posted by: Dizzard.4396

Dizzard.4396

Cynkk (pronounced Sync/Sink) is my Asura Necromancer. (He’s my main)

There isn’t a big tale to how I came up with it. I just wanted an Asura sounding name……the realization that it sounded like Sync (a very tech sounding word just like the Asura) actually came after I was messing around with Asura names. It wasn’t really my intention, it just fell into place. I’m very happy with it.

Posted by: Lazure.6358

Lazure.6358

Lorraine Human Female Guardian. I just really like the name. Made sure to get it the moment headstart launched.

Empathy Rose Human Female Elementalist. I saw the name Empathy in a punky webcomic used as a girl’s name, and I decided I liked it. Rose is a last name I tend to fall back on when I need one for naming a character. Used it for families in The Sims 3.

Odessa Dawn Human Female Ranger. Odessa is mostly known for being the name of various cities throughout the world, but I think it makes a nice girl’s name, too. The Dawn surname is actually a common first name being used as a last name in this case. However, you can say that, as a ranger, the dawn of a day is the start of their hunting adventure.

Estelle Grace Norn Female Thief. Estelle is another nice name I like. Grace is normally a common middle name, but I used it as a last name in this case. Just seems to roll together nicely.

Eternity Star Norn Female Mesmer. An exotic name to go with the female mesmer motif. I actually used the name Eternity when writing a story a long time ago. Star as a last name was just random, for lack of knowing what else to use. I didn’t wanna re-use Rose a bunch of times like I did in beta.

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

Bathos the Bow. Bathos from the Greak for “depth” is a term and is used to describe any kind of performance meant to evoke strong emotion rendered farsical by poor or over acting. Given how the Charr emote , this seems entirely appropriate for a Character name (this also sometimes applies to me, hence this being my username) the Bow, simple, he’s a ranger that spends about 80% of the time using a longbow.
Brax Redreaver is named for a dragon in a very old rpg I once owned who was called “Deftclaw Redreaver” Always thought it was a good name, and it fitted nicely with my warrior being blood legion.

Posted by: Rocksors.7830

Rocksors.7830

The only slightly interesting one that’s not a slightly off spelling of a book character is;

Shinkou, which means ‘rising’ for my Mesmer. She’s Mesmer – rising. Badoom tish

I’ll be here all week, don’t forget to tip your waitress.

Isle Of Janthir [AR]
Rocksors: 80 Guardian, Althalus: 80 Thief, Birigitte: 80 Ranger, Roacsors: 80 Warrior

Posted by: Slyder.9215

Slyder.9215

Wrenchy Mcboomboom
Take a wild guess what class I am ;P

Wrenchy Mcboomboom
Engineer

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

Legolas Pewpew.

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

I discovered I could make a norn woman that looked almost just like a character I include in some of my settings, minus a tail. I run a comic named “Gauged” that she’s a part of. Unfortunately, just “Jael” was taken, so I had to add a second name. I think if I could back and do it again I may have just added a title. Or not. I didn’t get any of the names I wanted, and I was in-game literally the very minute the gates opened. Ho hum.

Swagman.9013

a tail? o.O interesting

Posted by: elegos.3784

elegos.3784

My first (and for now only) character is Caleida of Shadows… yes, an Asura thief :-P

Caleida as of kaleidoscope (in italian caleidoscopio), to mention the scientific background o the race; of Shadows to remember the profession :-)

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

Gelda Nebilim. It was the name of my Necro/Mes in GW1.

A teacher who dies in an accident. Her students attempt to resurrect her, but fail, creating an unstable, powerful “replica.” She is the ultimate boss in the game.

Thought it was sorta fitting for a Necromancer.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

Sylvari Ranger Kyntaris

This is the name I use for a character in another game. I used that game’s random name generator. I just really liked the name and wanted to use it again.