Your character names origins

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Elthurien is derived from early english history, Urien of Cambria and Aethel which I believe comes from Anglo-Saxon etymology ie; Aethelwulf, Aethelbrecht. I believe Aethel/Adel/Ethel means Noble, so Aethelwulf would mean Noble Wolf. I originally used the name Aethelurien in an old SSI AD&D gold box game and over the years it has evolved into elthurien. In GW2 my character is called Elthuzar as homeage to the god
of war Balthazar.

Posted by: NickKicken.5492

NickKicken.5492

Aumm

Back on a game named Everquest Online Adventures, I generated a random name for an Elf character and it turned out to be Aumwaden. I still use that one sometimes, but not on my mains.

I shortened it to Aum and later Aumm because I want to be named after the sound of the universe!

(edited by NickKicken.5492)

Posted by: Swagman.9013

Swagman.9013

I’m really loving how far back some of these names go.

Reminds me of a Orc I made in Morrowind that is probably the first name I made up with no outside influence. I named him Balthor and since I was familiar with the naming style of orcs in TES I gave him the surname Gro-Bar.
So Balthor Gro-Bar was the first completely made up name I had. Then later while reading a MGT book I learned of a dwarf named Balthor Rockfist, and I was like, Hey they stole my name, kittens!

Posted by: Deggon.8152

Deggon.8152

Mine name came from EQ1 random name generator….been using it ever since.

Posted by: temazcal.8971

temazcal.8971

Katurin Bahskir, human
2 names from gw1 Nightfall, where she is ‘from’

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

My main character in any game for the past 7 or 8 years has been called Vayra, based off one of Rikku’s attacks in FFX-2. And for almost as long my primary alt(s) have had some variation of the name Forkrul Assail from Steven Erikson’s Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Posted by: LanceHavenbay.2067

LanceHavenbay.2067

My character name is very complex. xD
It is from a book that I was writing, and from my own personal beliefs. There is much more to it, but that is the basic of it.

Attachments:

Posted by: direpath.4712

direpath.4712

Ezra Sarona is a throwback to my first MMO character from SWG, Ezrat Sraona (not a typo in that last name).

The last name was a random generated one. The first name was originally going to be Ezra but I tacked the T on. I decided to lose the T again as I was playing SWGEMU recently and everyone kept calling me Easy Rat which is not my intended pronuciation. I felt Ezra was a bit more fitting to a fantasy genre.

I have an engineer named Kali Verholme. This is inspired by my long-time pally in WoW (hate me if you want, im over World of Kung-fu Panda) who was named Kalimura (an anagram of my wife’s name). I believe I used many other variations of this name for a time (Mirakula, Marakilu, etc) for alts.

Other characters include a Norn Ranger named Sigaard Wolfson. I used this in LOTRO briefly, the extra a was from Sigard being taken, though I feel the extra a makes it a bit more Norn-ish. Sigaard was a Warden.

Lastly, I have a Sylvari named Valjira, a partial namesake to one of my earliest WoW toons named Valja. She was my third toon actually, but my main for a long long time when I was more hardcore and raided heavily in vanilla. I was one of those sick people who enjoyed playing a priest as a healer.

Other toon names that I have used in GW2 are just names I like that fit the lore of the game.

Kali Verholme -Ezra Sarona – Sigaard Wolfson – Jumi Sprigleaf
Legacy of Elijah (LoE) – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: aivedoir.3471

aivedoir.3471

final fantasy xi

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

No origin, per se…just imagination. But I always use names that really could be either culturally or of the age. Not nonsense names.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Durzlla came from me struggling to come up with a name when Eragon first came out and I mid remembered the Shades name… Surprizes me that I have yet to run accross someone using my name…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Posted by: Dreleth.3647

Dreleth.3647

My main character is a charr named Dreleth Dragonclaw. I use Dreleth for everything, so yeah.

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

My main’s name is the same as my handle here – it’s sort of a shortened anagram of my real name, and I used it for years before learning that it’s an actual word in Welsh.

I was excited because my family’s background is Welsh … only to then learn that the definition of “dybryd” in Welsh is “terrible, egregious, or shameful.”

Oh well!

dybryd.1358

My mesmer’s name is also a mistake. His name is “Ergi Seidhr” which I thought meant “sissy witch” in ancient Norse (he’s a Nord), but after getting him to level 20 I realized that my ancient Norse grammar isn’t quite up to scratch, so his name actually means not “sissy witch” but “sissifiedness witchcraft” – the correct version would have been “Argr Seidh”

Again, oh well!

dybryd.1358

I got the grammar right for once in my asura elementalist’s name: he’s called “Volo Errare,” which is Latin for “I’m willing to make mistakes.”

Luckily, I am!

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander is the named I have been using for everything since middle school when I started playing Dungeons and Dragons. Since it was my first time playing, my DM asked me how I was enjoying making a character and what not. My reply was something along the lines of “I like this”, but I can’t speak properly sometimes and it came out like i-li-this. Then, Mithilander is a derivation of Mithrandir which I encountered in one of our D&D 3.0 books.

Ever since that campaign, which was the most epic campaign ever, Mithilander is my surname for all my characters while Ilithis is always my main.

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Posted by: Deith.7596

Deith.7596

It’s from a book, as simple and uncreative as that.

None of good stories starts with “I was drinking my milk when suddenly…”

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Æstrid Ingegärd. An actual viking name.

My daughter has a Norn character called Astrid and mine is Sigrid. In game they are sisters.

My sylvari is Salvia Sage, same plant twice in different languages.

All the other characters have just random names that sounded good at the time of creating them. Apparently my Asura’s name is actually a town in Israel, but that was totally coincidental. I checked afterward just to make sure it wasn’t a curseword or someone famous.

Posted by: bliss.7654

bliss.7654

Jalen Irsei Pinched from Michael Moorkitten’s Corum Trilogies – the protagonist of which is Corum Jhaelen Irsei.

Ha! I love the filter on this site sometime.

My main is Blissfully Unaware. I first used Chosen1 when I started playing games but that was a bit juvenile to me later on. Then I used Chance….didn’t stick. Then I was thinking of different emotive names and thought of Bliss and I have used that in variations ever since. Used it in Quake III for years. The simple “Bliss” was taken as I figured it would be and I just threw Blissfully unaware together.

(edited by bliss.7654)

Raf.1078

Michael Moorkitten!….Purrrfect!

Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: bliss.7654

bliss.7654

Then, Mithilander is a derivation of Mithrandir which I encountered in one of our D&D 3.0 books.

Originally Gandalf from Tolkien. His Sindarin name, meaning Grey Pilgrim or Grey Wanderer.

Posted by: Gwaiyn.4395

Gwaiyn.4395

Gwaiyn – 80 Thief
Ryfaul – 80 Warrior
Fluene – 80 Mesmer

dybryd.1358

zomg this thread has officially been won by the profanity filter.

I wanna buy another character slot just so I can create a character with this name.

Posted by: Javert.5367

Javert.5367

My friend made a bet that I couldn’t get the name Aeris Gainsborough for my elementalist.

Let’s just say I won

Swagman.9013

Michael Moorkitten seems to be a popular source of inspiration for some.

Posted by: Antrasith.2187

Antrasith.2187

My main Characternames:

Sword-Wielding-Type : Paladin, Warrior, Blade Dancer
- Antrasith : From back in my lineage II days.

Comes from the words Antracite and Sith. The first part is the dark color (suited my dark elf BD) and the second part was because of my love for Star Wars

Healer-Type
- Essencia : coming from “essential” (party-wise)
- Nynaeve / Nynaeva : aka Nynaeve Al’meara —> Name out of my favorite books : Wheel of Time. Yellow (healing) Ajah character

Mage-Type
- Elaine / Ylaine : aka Elaine Trakand —> Also from Wheel of Time. Green (battle) Ajah Character

The Wheel turns as the Wheel Wills

Posted by: Merrunz.4730

Merrunz.4730

My main character name is Merrunz, sort of a different way to spell Mehrunes from TES series. I also have a character named Teinaava, named after the shadow scale dark brotherhood member in TES Oblivion. I also have a character named Azzadal, named after an NPC you can come across in TES Skyrim. I guess you can say I really like The Elder Scrolls lol.

My other two names are J J The Great, one I’ve had since my old Diablo and SC/WC days. And Umbra Militis, shadow knight in Latin. Those were my “I ran out of idea names”.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

The nick “Tosha” I’ve had since diablo2 – my very first gaming addiction. In GW1 you needed a last name, and since I tend to daydream way to much, my ranger was called Tosha Daydreamer. I kept the name for GW2, only now Tosha Daydreamer is a sylvari thief. And I think the name fits the race, even though Sylvari do not use last names in general.

Whenever I create a new character, I always use “Daydreamer” as last name. So basically I can use any name I wish, since most people do not use last names Only exception being my Charr Warrior – gave him Dreamslayer as last name. Daydreamer wasn’t agressive enough :p

Posted by: LittleZoe.4970

LittleZoe.4970

Bucika – One of my cats is named Buci, and Bucika is the diminutive form of the name in hungarian.

I wanted to use my name, Zoe for my Asura, but it was obviously taken, since i could only get the game weeks later after release

Zoe Clawstorm – Norn Necromancer

Posted by: PixelPredator.6987

PixelPredator.6987

Arnákiin

I wanted something like Dovahkiin from skyrim :P

Posted by: Science.6709

Science.6709

A few names that I’ve always used throughout the years:

Science – Been using this name for mains since Star Wars Galaxies. Was originally going to be a little human droid engineer, but when I found out there were no nerdy glasses in SWG I just made a Wookiee. Science the Wookiee. Went to my male asura engineer (Science One) and female charr ele (Science Two)

Nordie – My niece’s nickname. Goes to blonde female toons, and is my human thief in GW2

Moriu – Slight alteration of a randomly generated name for my female Orc warrior in WoW. Goes to random female characters, and is my asura guardian.

Chili – I love chili. Human male warrior Chili John.

Morgan Dolby – One I came up with for my human male mesmer. Morgan is one of Thomas Dolby’s middle names and is also mine.

Posted by: Sevens.6390

Sevens.6390

have always used Sevens for any thief type toon I play

Seven being a lucky number just seemed to fit that style of play

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Tyr The Brave..because i like the mythology that surrounds this character.

Tyr was the god of war, an Aesir. He was the son of Odin and Frigg.

When the monstrous wolf Fenrir became very powerful, the gods decided to imprison the beast. No ordinary chain could restrain Fenrir, so Tyr had to put his hand in the mouth of the wolf as a sign of goodwill while the other gods created a magical restraint. When Fenrir realized that he had been tricked, and that he could not free himself, he bit off Tyr’s hand.

Tyr fought at Ragnarok, where he was destined to battle with Garm, the watchdog of the underworld – a fight which would result in both of their deaths.

The name Tiw, which he was called by the Anglo-Saxons gave rise to the name Tiwesdaeg, or Tuesday.

Tyr’s Three Prohibitions.

In combat never fight an unworthy foe.
In combat never kill at distance
In combat never retreat before the enemy

When a true warrior steps back,it is only to leap forward,that is the teaching of Tyr.

The Odin Brotherhood.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Posted by: Ixliam.7859

Ixliam.7859

Ixliam – This was my name I used for many years on the mud I ran for about 11 years. I believe it was a god of insanity from a homespun campaign set from AD&D. Now he’s a Charr Thief.

Velannah – Name I just made up, was my priest in WOW, Sith Sorcerer in SWTOR, now my Ranger and Mesmer here.

Thorgrim Malmsteen – Good viking first name, with his last name being from Yngwie Malmsteen the guitarist. This is for my Norn Guardian.

Edward De Molay – Human Warrior, this is the first name I went by in the SCA when I was active in Meridies. Feel free to look me up on the armorial fellow scadians.

Chameleon Evergreen – Sylvari Engineer. I took Chameleon from the Xanth series of books, and the last name just gives it more of a plant-like sound.

Swagman.9013

I know that book! A spell for chameleon, I read that ages ago.

Posted by: Ghoula.5314

Ghoula.5314

Well my Asuran Engineer’s name is “Gurney Vin”

Gurney coming from Gurney Halleck, in the amazing Dune series by Frank Herbert.

Vin is just something I came up with and thought it sounded good with Gurney and sounded like a plausible Asuran name.

Posted by: Ecrulis.2058

Ecrulis.2058

Ecrulis is my Charr Thief and my main, ive been using Ecrulis for a long time now, didnt really come from anything specific just a name I made up, usually in fantasy games my mains are some sort of Elf but I can’t help but love Charr and it still seemed to fit him so I went with it,

Females names I usually use are Maethyl, and Veyalia

Posted by: Golgathoth.3967

Golgathoth.3967

Six names:

• Mesmer – Keldred. This was the name I made for my Arisen Psionist in Allods, and Mesmers are very close to Psionists. I use that name for all psychic type characters now. (Now I miss Allods. It’s too bad it’s pay to win.)
  • Warrior – Canker Jaw. Sounded like a good name for a Charr warrior. =p
  • Guardian – Seo Tae Kyu. I made a more Asiatic human, and this name was chosen for aesthetic reasons.
  • Ranger – Dwolian. She’s a norn. Dwolian is an old English word for “to be lead astray.”
  • Thief – Armaud. It just sounded good at the time, now I realize it is really close to Armand Christophe. Oops. XD
  • Necromancer – Sadith. It just sounds right. Also reminds me of “sadist”.
Sylvari: 7 Humans: 3 Charr: 2 Norn: 1 Asura: 0
“Tarnished Coast” since head start!

(edited by Golgathoth.3967)

Posted by: Anethma.2169

Anethma.2169

My forum name is my real name (Best name ever!)
Now, onto my characters.
1. Azazel Grimhand
55 Necromancer
Azazel is another name for Death, Grimhand seemed fitting.

2. Alissa Fadestalker
80 Thief
I’ve always loved the name Alissa, Fadestalker also seemed fitting.

3. Gwyn Ornstein
24 Guardian
This one is a bit more controversial if you understand it’s origins, even more so if you think the way I do.
To put it plainly, Gwyn is the Firelord in Dark Souls while Ornstein is another boss.
Through hours and hours of combing through lore, I propose that Ornstein is the exiled son of Lord Gwyn.
He’s also my fave character, He wears gold armour and wields a spear. (This character spends alot of time in the water because of that :P)
Now I just need a fat norn named Smough, an elementalist can summon a lightning hammer for him

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

Mine isn’t really all that.. original, but my Main Orphyn X is a name I’ve used since the first MMO i’ve played. i’ve always played a rogue and I’m a bit of an RP geek, so the name symbolizes my class choice and style of play. A loner with no name sort of thing. The X is only because I was testing the last name feature and I wasn’t sure if it would actually work. >_>

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Posted by: Lord Jaguar.9504

Lord Jaguar.9504

My main is named Kharn Deathscream.

This was derived from Kharn the Betrayer in Warhammer 40k. I play CSM and he’s pretty much my favorite named special character. Kind of a badkitty.

Posted by: Drudenfusz.2971

Drudenfusz.2971

My main (Norn Mesmer) is named Gwenya Drudenfusz. I would have taken just Gwenya, but that was already taken when I started playing. Gwenya is just a name I like to use in fantasy games, couldn’t even tell the meaning of that name. Drudenfust, which I also use often on gaming boards, on the other hand is an old German word (actually it is Drudenfuß, but that special character at the end just confuse people who don’t know German and is often enough not working on various websites), which would be in English something like a pentacle. Litarally it means witchfeet, because it was a sign people made on the doorstep to prevent witches and other evil things to enter a home (I don’t believe in such esoterics, but I find it funny to protect my real name in the internet with that word and it sounds good as a last name for characters in games as well).

Gwenya Drudenfusz [Boon], Norn Mesmer on Desolation

Posted by: selmarus.8930

selmarus.8930

When creating my (first) 2 characters in GW2, i could not abandon the ones I used in GW1, so I used the same names:

Sta Op En Loop (Necromancer) : Dutch for Rise And Walk She is (of course a Minion Master).

Finger Spitzen (Ranger) : Dutch for Finger Tips (i’m not sure if this is correct english translation). When creating this character in GW1, Touch Rangers were quite popular at that moment. I was planning to play one. (Never played it much)

Raf.1078

zomg this thread has officially been won by the profanity filter.

I wanna buy another character slot just so I can create a character with this name.

Make it an albino!

Swagman.9013

I’d love to hear more name origins if you haven’t added yours please do.

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

Nicolas Rayge – Male Norn Ranger – It kind of just came to me during BWE3 while trying to think of a name. I liked the sound of it so it stuck.

Brumak Deathclaw – Male Charr Engineer – He’s charr and the name invokes a sense of power and intensity.

Fallere – Female Sylvari Mesmer – Latin for deceive. Seemed fitting for a Mesmer and looks like a Sylvari name.

Niteris – Male Sylvari Necromancer – Latin for plague. See above.

Blintz – Female Asura Elementalist – Snaxx was taken and blintz was equally as cute (she’s small and as adorable as you can make an Asura)

Revvan – Male Asura Thief – Reference to Revan from KoTOR. The double letters were only for a more “asuran” touch.

Shaq Fu – Male Human Guardian – My main in WoW was a druid named Shaqfu. I just enjoy the name and wanted it to make a return in GW2.

Arms Murphy – Male Norn Warrior – Long story short, my nickname is Charlie Murphy and a tradition for my friends and I when a new WWE game comes out is to create characters of oursleves and get drunk on new years eve while we watch them fight each other in a tournament to see who wins (all of them are CPU controlled). One year I made my character with massive massive arms and he was dubbed “Arms Murphy”. My norn also has massive arms so it seemed to fit.