Your honest problem with dueling?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

Im pretty confused at the community honestly. To my understanding this game is more wkill focused because better gear is easily obtainable? Then what is the issue with us testing out skill, and improving ourselves by facing each other 1v1?

I don’t see why Anet wouldn’t make a nice big patch out of this. They could add dueling arenas, and maybe even several different PvP modes that aren’t conquest…

The PvE people wouldnt have to worry wither. It wouldnt make the open world look cluttered because it wouls be in the mists. Also they could turn duel invites off.

I don’t understand the communities’opposition to this to be quite honest.

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

Aren’t the custom PVP arenas meant to adress this?

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Well to be fair in another thread some PvE players don’t mind the idea of dueling. It is the open world dueling that some people want to push that causes some to take up arms.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Because that would mean these forums would be filled with whines about profession X being OP because it keeps beating profession Y.
The game is balanced around 5v5 so it will never be a completely balance between profession X and Y, which people won’t accept.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

When ppl are asking for duels they usually mean they want open world duels.

arena duels will be possible starting today once they roll out the custom arenas(sadly, only in limited beta form for now)

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Khyber.2693

Aren’t the custom PVP arenas meant to adress this?

Oh yes what ive always wanted! To be able to pay for something that the game should have as one if its main pvp features!

Posted by: Shinky.1492

Shinky.1492

absolutely none! as long as it stays in the mists

It has no business in the open world

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

it’s pay to host, not pay to play.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

Yes to open world duel

all those that say no have ego issues and are being kittenly kitty.

Khyber.2693

Because that would mean these forums would be filled with whines about profession X being OP because it keeps beating profession Y.
The game is balanced around 5v5 so it will never be a completely balance between profession X and Y, which people won’t accept.

What most people dont understand is that everything has a counter. Sure it is balanced around team play, but each profession is supposed to be able to self sustain and there are no real roles. It really would be a matter of skill.

Those threads should just be deleted on sight. People need to learn how to counter their enemy, everyone has a weakness. Not everything that beats you deserves a nerf.

Posted by: Tumbero.3945

Tumbero.3945

Cause people are weak, is like a pve player get killed against a pk player , what do the pve player? rage quit , nothing more.

The pve games dont have that special moments when u need to survive against other players or when u gona gank another guild or when they are vs a mob or boss, and with these all the gamers transfor to a afraid player that only plays vs mobs nothing more.

SBI Firstborn.
(LX) Legion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I have no problem with dueling in areas that I don’t have to be in. No problem at all. Anet could make a dueling zone and I’d be fine with it. It’s dueling in places that I’m playing in PVe that’s the problem.

Anet has separated PvP from PvE for a reason. It’s part of what they’ve always done. They understand these groups of players don’t always play nice together.

Even if I could block dueling requests, there’d be some guy trying to duel me and when they saw I was blocking, they’d just start PMing me with nonsense, and then jumping around me, like an idiot.

I’m not 12 years old. I’m retired. I don’t play games to socialize with random people I don’t know. I play with my guild. I play with friends. I play with my wife. Sometimes, I play alone.

The last thing I need is someone who wants to force themselves into my down time.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Yes to open world duel

People say the same about those wanting to force PvP in a area where it has no right to be in as well.

So we have something in common it seems.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Khyber.2693

Yes to open world duel

Im the OP and I have to disagree.

A.) I don’t want 3 fps everywhere I go.

B.) It would look cluttered and nasty.

C.) Has nothing to do with the point of PvE.

I want dueling, dont get me wrong. But it should be a sectioned off place in the mists.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

What most people dont understand is that everything has a counter. Sure it is balanced around team play, but each profession is supposed to be able to self sustain and there are no real roles. It really would be a matter of skill.

Those threads should just be deleted on sight. People need to learn how to counter their enemy, everyone has a weakness. Not everything that beats you deserves a nerf.

You are missing the point however.
It is not necessarily a matter of lack of skill in this case, since some professions simply don’t have the means to defeat others if equally skilled. This is simply because of the fact that the game was never supposed to be 1v1. Which is also the reason everything group-related in the game is 5-man.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

Yes to open world duel

Nonsense. I was on a 2v2 and 3v3 arena team in WoW and I hate open world dueling with a passion.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I have no issues with dueling. As I stated in the other thread, I’d just prefer it not to be open world. My preference would be:

1)Make it an arena (no, not one you have to pay for. Bad Anet! Although, this is a beta arena if I remember correctly, maybe it won’t cost anything once it’s fully implemented. I know, I know, keep hoping. )

or

2) Tie it to guild halls (similar to GW1).

That is all. Beyond that, people may kick each others tails as much and as often as they prefer. ~.^

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Khyber.2693

I have no problem with dueling in areas that I don’t have to be in. No problem at all. Anet could make a dueling zone and I’d be fine with it. It’s dueling in places that I’m playing in PVe that’s the problem.

Anet has separated PvP from PvE for a reason. It’s part of what they’ve always done. They understand these groups of players don’t always play nice together.

Even if I could block dueling requests, there’d be some guy trying to duel me and when they saw I was blocking, they’d just start PMing me with nonsense, and then jumping around me, like an idiot.

I’m not 12 years old. I’m retired. I don’t play games to socialize with random people I don’t know. I play with my guild. I play with friends. I play with my wife. Sometimes, I play alone.

The last thing I need is someone who wants to force themselves into my down time.

I understand and agree with you on all accounts.

Yeah, Im young, but Im also the same way. I play with my guild, and my group of friends that I know in real life. I dont want annoying duel requests either, I mainly want this feature so I can play with my friends

Just want everyone to know that I dont want to infringe on anyones playing experience. PvP does not belong in PvE. I just really think this would add a lot to the game as a whole.

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

I have no problem with duelling arenas at all, but if you want open world duels → kitten off!

In addtion, even so professions are balanced against each other as a whole (or at least that’s the goal) that doesn’t mean that each build is balanced. Due to that their will always be some hard counters to your specific build that will just destroy you no matter what (unless the profession you are playing is broken). As long as players don’t understand and accept (!!!) that, there is always the possibilty that the forums will get flooded with whine threads about 1v1 balance. So, if we ever will get arena dueling ArenaNet should also open a new dueling forum and keept the 1v1 discussion restricted to it.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)