Zerg Farming: Needs to be stopped.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Or you can look @ the dev post where he said that not a lot of new currency was added into the game from the story >.>

Newsflash: champion drops are not part of the Living World story. They are not currency being “added into the game from the story”.

Hope that clears things up for you.

If you read my other posts on this subject… I’ve seen 30+ farm and still get the event done. This is normal. This is the same experience of everyone I’ve talked to in my guild.

Irrelevant. Ignoring how little value can be given to your own observation, the fact is that, when those events succeeded, it was despite the exploiters, not because of them. The other players had to make up for the exploiters, who in the mean time got the rewards for their own exploit and for the work of players who were actually doing the event.

The dev post:

But make no mistake. If you didn’t make your Gold from the Queen’s Gauntlet, or Champion farming, you’ll be left behind in terms of wealth. That’s why it’ll be interesting to see how Anet responds to this.

This is incredibly hyperbolous. In the last week, the median player earned less than 3 gold in the new content (that’s discounting all players who earned less than 1 gold).

Feel free to tin foil hat once again and think that the econ is being flooded with gold anyways.

So those people aren’t helping the bar move as well? It’s at a slower rate, but they are moving it and helping the overall progress. It’s not as if they are working against the other players which is more of what your post sounds like you’re implying IMO.

Everyone is doing what they want and it’s all helping the progress. It’s great. Just stop trying to get 25-30 people (or whatever) to do what you want them to do. It’s not going to happen.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Of course you have no use for 200 gold.

99.99% of the game requires 50 gold or less.

0.01%, which is a Legendary, requires at least 800 gold.

Your gold is sitting in the middle.

Well yeah, but I don’t like the legendaries either. I find most of them uglier than some exotics/rares/skins.
Just the point was, farming all those hours in a zerg for gold that isn’t really needed for anything isn’t an enjoyable experience for me :P

Posted by: projectcedric.6951

projectcedric.6951

Money is pointless in this game as it is, I have 200 gold sitting in my wallet I have no use for atm :P

TBH if he wanted to invest that gold he could use it to make more gold to get him to that legendary area. That would involve knowledge and contains risk though. It’s far easier to make more gold once you have extra gold that you don’t need for the day to day stuffs.

Hrn. Maybe. Yea. I’m personally not that skilled in that aspect though, so I wouldn’t know. Its easier to farm to 800 for me.

Posted by: AXEL.8362

AXEL.8362

abloobloo, play the game the way I want!

MrRuin.9740

Money is pointless in this game as it is, I have 200 gold sitting in my wallet I have no use for atm :P

TBH if he wanted to invest that gold he could use it to make more gold to get him to that legendary area. That would involve knowledge and contains risk though. It’s far easier to make more gold once you have extra gold that you don’t need for the day to day stuffs.

I have no interest in legendaries. I find them uglier than other skins.
Commenting a remark on invoking knowledge and risk is irrelevant. I know how to do it, there’s no point for that gold in this game was what I was saying. I was playing this game because the activities were actually fun to partake in, gold or rewards aside. I don’t need a carrot dangled in front of me. I play for fun. This zerg farming isn’t.

(edited by MrRuin.9740)

projectcedric.6951

Well yeah, but I don’t like the legendaries either. I find most of them uglier than some exotics/rares/skins.
Just the point was, farming all those hours in a zerg for gold that isn’t really needed for anything isn’t an enjoyable experience for me :P

So then you have no problem.

But it comes to a point when one simply… has nothing else to do. And acquiring a Legendary becomes the hurdle to being able to say to oneself “I’ve completed this game. I can move on.”

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

So those people aren’t helping the bar move as well? It’s at a slower rate, but they are moving it and helping the overall progress. It’s not as if they are working against the other players which is more of what your post sounds like you’re implying IMO.

There are two kinds of Aetherblade pirate events:

1. “Lower the Aetherblade morale”, which is basically a “kill all of them” event. Doing this one, the farmers actually help the event as a whole. But killing champions over and over actually closes the event (morale goes to zero), so farmers have to move elsewhere.

2. “Kill the Aetherblade Captain”. This is where the issue lies. As long as you do not kill the captain, but you kill the other Aetherblades, more enemies will continue to spawn. If you ignore the captain, you won’t progress the event – it will just be stalled. But more and more champions will spawn, allowing farmers – here, exploiters – to farm in a single event by killing a continous flow of champions.

It’s similar to the Arah farm, when people farmed the Champion Risen Giant – by not killing the Giant, the event was stalled, and lots of Risen would spawn. By not killing the Aetherblade champion, the event is stalled, and (if a zerg big enough is there), a lot of champions spawn.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

MrRuin.9740

So then you have no problem.

But it comes to a point when one simply… has nothing else to do. And acquiring a Legendary becomes the hurdle to being able to say to oneself “I’ve completed this game. I can move on.”

Legendary is hardly a hurdle. Anyone who knows how to TP flip or wants to spend hours in a zerg can do it. It’s not the end of the game and never was for me. There was no “end”.
The point was playing for fun and interacting with people doing the same things.

Aberrant.6749

1. “Lower the Aetherblade morale”, which is basically a “kill all of them” event. Doing this one, the farmers actually help the event as a whole. But killing champions over and over actually closes the event (morale goes to zero), so farmers have to move elsewhere.

2. “Kill the Aetherblade Captain”. This is where the issue lies. As long as you do not kill the captain, but you kill the other Aetherblades, more enemies will continue to spawn. If you ignore the captain, you won’t progress the event – it will just be stalled. But more and more champions will spawn, allowing farmers – here, exploiters – to farm in a single event by killing a continous flow of champions.

It’s similar to the Arah farm, when people farmed the Champion Risen Giant – by not killing the Giant, the event was stalled, and lots of Risen would spawn. By not killing the Aetherblade champion, the event is stalled, and (if a zerg big enough is there), a lot of champions spawn.

Out of 20+ of these being done I’ve never seen anyone do this. Never once have I seen anyone tell others not to kill the capt. From what I can tell the spawn rate of the extra champs isn’t more worth while than killing the champs and the capt. and then quickly moving onto the next one. That way you get all the champ spawns and the extra 2 rares and all of extra boxes from finishing the event. More overall loot <- what farmers want.

That’s just from what I’ve come up with as some one that farms never ever having seen some one stall the event despite doing it many many times. It doesn’t seem to be that widespread of a problem.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Well Anet foster the culture of farming at the first place through their living story which promotes farming x item to get a new shiny skin.

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Maybe if it wasn’t 100% Zerg farming all the time it MIGHT be interesting.
You guys go ahead and enjoy your Zerg farm, I don’t plan on participating in it.
100% WvW for me until they make some changes to that farming junk.

I have never seen 100% of the people on these events just zerg. The average large group size seems to be about 25-30. This is a perfect example of grossly exaggerating the “problem” to try to get your way.

you’d be surprise to see how many people find that the most FUN thing to do is getting those sweet sweet loot. seeing some orange items gained over and over again.. opening boxes that gain them gold in hope of a rare chance to get the winning lottery.. even with all the repetition thats going on within the activity!
well sure.. some people like challenge and hard fights, but as much as how many of these people that like hard content, there are equal or more people that like ease content..
not all people think like you and your thought doesn’t represent all.
what you’re saying is just..
I find champ zerging / CoFarm / [insert next farm here] boring, and I dont want to see everybody else gain materials/ gold from them, thus the perfect thing to do is nerfing them!!!

I agree to an extent with your sentiment, if people want to do this kind of content and find it fun that’s fine people should be able to find something enjoyable, but they certainly are not entitled to disproportionate rewards for it. I am not sure why people feel that they should be able to do the most simple task and also receive the best rewards at the same time. It’s quite frankly depressing to think that this is what so many people seem to want.

The best farm as of late was the ember farm. It was hardly the most simple thing to do well. TONS of people didn’t have a clue about how to do it properly and were constantly complaining that they didn’t get credit for the loot. So it took knowledge and skill (not to get killed while being the first to tag 4-5 champs + vets + trash mobs to ensure loot). It was also competitive. If you didn’t get the tag in early, you got nothing regardless of how much damage you dealt.

Compare this do an average dung. You will always get the loot as long as you kill. You will not be facing this many strong mobs at any given time. You are given a certainty of obtaining exotic weapons with multiple stat choices
through tokens. You are given a certainty of getting a chest to loot plus one from any champs. You are given a certainty of a gold reward.

You gave up certainty for the chance at higher rewards with higher risk involved.

The average player is not doing any of those things. If these zerg farms were so risky and really had the chance to yield nothing then there would not be so many people doing it. The most common response I have seen is that it is easy and that is why people do them because they don’t want to work for something. If you can’t complete a dungeon path you don’t get the tokens or the gold. What you speak of is in terms of efficiency, and with that I agree, for getting as much loot as possible there is no better alternative to the zergfest, but using ember as the lone shining example and touting it as if it’s the pinnacle of skilled play is just doing a disservice.

Aberrant.6749

Maybe if it wasn’t 100% Zerg farming all the time it MIGHT be interesting.
You guys go ahead and enjoy your Zerg farm, I don’t plan on participating in it.
100% WvW for me until they make some changes to that farming junk.

I have never seen 100% of the people on these events just zerg. The average large group size seems to be about 25-30. This is a perfect example of grossly exaggerating the “problem” to try to get your way.

you’d be surprise to see how many people find that the most FUN thing to do is getting those sweet sweet loot. seeing some orange items gained over and over again.. opening boxes that gain them gold in hope of a rare chance to get the winning lottery.. even with all the repetition thats going on within the activity!
well sure.. some people like challenge and hard fights, but as much as how many of these people that like hard content, there are equal or more people that like ease content..
not all people think like you and your thought doesn’t represent all.
what you’re saying is just..
I find champ zerging / CoFarm / [insert next farm here] boring, and I dont want to see everybody else gain materials/ gold from them, thus the perfect thing to do is nerfing them!!!

I agree to an extent with your sentiment, if people want to do this kind of content and find it fun that’s fine people should be able to find something enjoyable, but they certainly are not entitled to disproportionate rewards for it. I am not sure why people feel that they should be able to do the most simple task and also receive the best rewards at the same time. It’s quite frankly depressing to think that this is what so many people seem to want.

The best farm as of late was the ember farm. It was hardly the most simple thing to do well. TONS of people didn’t have a clue about how to do it properly and were constantly complaining that they didn’t get credit for the loot. So it took knowledge and skill (not to get killed while being the first to tag 4-5 champs + vets + trash mobs to ensure loot). It was also competitive. If you didn’t get the tag in early, you got nothing regardless of how much damage you dealt.

Compare this do an average dung. You will always get the loot as long as you kill. You will not be facing this many strong mobs at any given time. You are given a certainty of obtaining exotic weapons with multiple stat choices
through tokens. You are given a certainty of getting a chest to loot plus one from any champs. You are given a certainty of a gold reward.

You gave up certainty for the chance at higher rewards with higher risk involved.

The average player is not doing any of those things. If these zerg farms were so risky and really had the chance to yield nothing then there would not be so many people doing it. The most common response I have seen is that it is easy and that is why people do them because they don’t want to work for something. If you can’t complete a dungeon path you don’t get the tokens or the gold. What you speak of is in terms of efficiency, and with that I agree, for getting as much loot as possible there is no better alternative to the zergfest, but using ember as the lone shining example and touting it as if it’s the pinnacle of skilled play is just doing a disservice.

I take it you never did it or did it while trying to maximize the loot then… I was always getting 30++ boxes per ember. That’s higher what the players that stuck with the zerg received (I often heard omg I only got 10 boxes but did oh so much damage etc.). Before I figured it out, I was getting closer to 20 per event. To get those 33%+ boxes I had to do the things I mentioned above. That involved more knowledge, more skill, and significantly higher risk.

This current event doesn’t have those sorts of risks though. I really wish the champs were stronger and were produced in higher numbers like the ember farm.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I don’t actually want zerg farm to be nerfed really. At most 10%.

I just want every else in the game buffed to be as rewarding and in some cases much better (harder content).

Simple as that.

Aberrant.6749

I just want every else in the game buffed to be as rewarding and in some cases much better (harder content).

Simple as that.

I would be all for that.

Especially when it comes to WvW the rewards vs risks is way out of wack. In WvW I do solo/small group stuff (on my eng). That has far higher risk and far lower rewards when compared to PvE or doing PvD with a large group. I still do it though because it’s FAR more fun. To make up for the lower rewards I do farming from time to time and play the TP, but it’s not usually what I would like to be doing. The embers were the first/only time in this game that I’ve enjoyed farming.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Here again, I thought the definition of “fun” is different from one person to another.

I find it fun/enjoyable to farm with tons of people.
Unfortunately, my definition of “fun” is wrong based on OP’s definition of fun. kitten .

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Knote.2904

Here again, I thought the definition of “fun” is different from one person to another.

Unfortunately, my definition of “fun” is wrong based on OP’s definition of fun. kitten .

It’s a bit confusing but this is how I always look at it.

Fun Gameplay = Satisfying.

Loot/Farm = Satisfying.

You need one or the other for players to do something, but ideally you want to have BOTH.

I also find it fun to zerg farm, aoe a bunch of mobs and get lots of nice loot, it’s relaxing and SATISFYING (which can be “fun”) but the actual activity does get boring pretty quickly but it’s still by far the most rewarding thing and I want my carrots so…. zerg farm I must.

Zerg farming doesn’t need to go away, it just needs it’s priority in rewards put in the right place, easy, casual, relaxed zerg farming shouldn’t be the most rewarding thing in the game, but should still be relevant.

Harder stuff needs to be more rewarding than this though.

“Farming” isn’t a bad thing and shouldn’t be looked down upon like so many in these forums do lol.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

talking about resses i don’t ress dead people while they are like 2 meters from a wp, because i cannot stop to think they are to cheap to pay a wp and run back themselves…
especially if the ressing is dangerous.
i’ll always revive people downed nearby (there is a huge difference between the 2 situations). and in wvwvw if i can i try to revive even dead people because is less strategic and even less useful to make them run back from the very edge of a map (unless they are dead under arrow cart fire, in that case it’s just stupid to try).

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

projectcedric.6951

Legendary is hardly a hurdle. Anyone who knows how to TP flip or wants to spend hours in a zerg can do it.

Does everybody know how to TP flip? Obviously not.

How many hours does it take to farm 1700 gold (assuming you wanna buy the Legendary off the TP completely)? At average 5 gold per hour, that’s approximately 340 hours.

Therefore, it IS a hurdle.

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Yeah…..I’ve been a fan of gw2 since I started playing and had enjoyed the living story content get better and better. Sanctum was great, with a new map, challenges, mini-games.
This is just bleh now. I have no interest in zerging the same mobs for hours. When they said some form of raiding content was coming, I had the unrealistic hope of something that took more effort or organization and cooperation. This zerging is stupid. How much coordination does it take to have 50 ppl "press1’ a mob to death then swarm to the next one? If people want to do this for hours on end for coin, power to them. Money is pointless in this game as it is, I have 200 gold sitting in my wallet I have no use for atm :P
Anyway, like Aberrant said, you can’t change the way people play or if they enjoy it or not. Let them be. And you can’t change the world with a little topic here. There’s too many people for it and the numbers of people doing it speak for itself. If you don’t like it, you have to either play the aspects of the game you do like or don’t play at all. Personally, this trends not for me. I’ll login and do my dailies and something fun if it arises….but if they keep going with this zerg-everything trend, might be time to see whats on the horizon for new MMO’s. Just gonna wait and see if they keep this trend going or not.

I agree, it’s just sad to see a game that had so much potential initially turn into a uninspired showcase of tedium. I wouldn’t consider myself a hardcore gamer anymore mostly because of time constraints, but I still can’t believe that people are satisfied with unimaginative game design and development which seems to be the direction Anet is heading. I realize not everyone wants super difficult content but there are other ways to go about implementing entertainment besides either make it difficult or make it grindy, like I dunno more actual story based content as just one example. I mean even things like the order’s skins or the cultural armors had a perfect chance for them to develop content around obtaining those beyond just a exercise in how well you can farm for gold/karma. It’s just lazy from design stand point, of course I realize developer resources are limited and all that but there is so much more they could do. Once some of these other mmo title’s release and go through their initial bleed out phase after the first few months it will be interesting to see where this game stands.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

What do you mean, its not fun? Don’t put everybody in the same category please. I do em with friends because its fun to me, seeing so many players on map taking down a bucketloads of enemies. It makes lots of gold yes but I wouldn’t be doing it if i wasn’t having fun in the process.

Let people have their fun, and stop wishing things you hate are removed from the game…because as far as I can see, most people ennjoy this update.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

But, but, I’m having fun, PLEASE don’t take my fun away(being a smart kitten , but I truly am having fun).

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

huh…. looks like people want to be spoon-fed…

now, don’t be lazy, join the zerg and get your loot, and be rich like the rest….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

@OP. I’m sorry your experience with the zerging and your friends attitude change since then but it is something that a large part of the community has been requesting for a while now. It’s nice there is finally a way to farm that’s fairly lucrative and not a dungeon. I’ve found it’s much more enjoyable when you go with a bunch of people you know, then you generally always have someone to rez you even if the zerg sprints off. While I do understand your concerns with other aspects there’s also this to consider… with the lack of real farming opportunities up until recently of course people are going to go all out and get burnt out farming because it hasn’t been commonplace to be able to do so… after a while things will settle back down and people will farm more as a passtime than a means to an end. All I know for sure though is that I’m happy to finally be able to go out and actually get a fair amount of loot for a change and that’s something I don’t wanna see go away.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Forgot to ad, hasn’t it occurred to anyone that this update is probably added to test the new culling options? Not saying you can’t test it on other big events, but this is most convenient right now.
And have you forgotten about the Southsun Cove farming a while back? It was exactly like this :P The zone is dead now. Wonder if they gonna do something about it.

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

I agree. It’s amazing how selfish and self centered people can be with the attitudes of ’you’re not playing the way I want you to play’, or ‘I don’t find this fun so you shouldn’t either’. I’ve heard many people say they are having fun zerging and running with all the people, just as I am. We’re not trying to dictate how you play, so try and show a bit of consideration. If someone feels that they HAVE to zerg farm, well, that’s their hang up.

TL;DR – Sorry, the world doesn’t revolve around you.

projectcedric.6951

Out of 20+ of these being done I’ve never seen anyone do this. Never once have I seen anyone tell others not to kill the capt. From what I can tell the spawn rate of the extra champs isn’t more worth while than killing the champs and the capt. and then quickly moving onto the next one. That way you get all the champ spawns and the extra 2 rares and all of extra boxes from finishing the event. More overall loot <- what farmers want.

That’s just from what I’ve come up with as some one that farms never ever having seen some one stall the event despite doing it many many times. It doesn’t seem to be that widespread of a problem.

I concur.

I thought about too at one point. That I’d suggest to not kill the captain and just farm the champs. And then I realized that the event itself spawned endlessly all over the map, against a timer. So regardless of whether the zerg focuses on the captain or the champs, they will get about the same loot anyway – but completing the event gives slightly more rewards.

The event would have been a bad design in itself, but because it’s part of a larger event, its a good design.

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

@op
Zerg farming is totally fine & fun(I did some myself), its the type of rewards that needed some modification.

It was probably the best during the Plinx days. The abundance of drops was Heavy Loot Bags & Rares(i.e. crafting mats). You could farm for what you need but there wasn’t such a big production of money to cause heavy inflation. Heck, almost all the T6 mats I needed back then were gained from just doing Plinx.

Ember & Dead Eye were really bad for the economy in the long run(I farmed both of these).

I can’t say anything about the current invasion farm though because I haven’t tried it yet but from what I heard it isn’t really comparable to pre-patch farms.

Aberrant.6749

@op
Zerg farming is totally fine & fun(I did some myself), its the type of rewards that needed some modification.

It was probably the best during the Plinx days. The abundance of drops was Heavy Loot Bags & Rares(i.e. crafting mats). You could farm for what you need but there wasn’t such a big production of money to cause heavy inflation. Heck, almost all the T6 mats I needed back then were gained from just doing Plinx.

Ember & Dead Eye were really bad for the economy in the long run(I farmed both of these).

I can’t say anything about the current invasion farm though because I haven’t tried it yet but from what I heard it isn’t really comparable to pre-patch farms.

Ember gave mostly items and a small coin reward. There was very little actual inflation involved with the ember farm (the pure gold gain from farming dung’s would have caused much more inflation if people had opted to do those instead). Ember did introduce tons of t5/6 and core/lodestones into the market and made them less expensive (they were getting a bit out of hand). Considering that we’ll need these for when 500 crafting comes out, it’s a good thing. If they hadn’t introduced more materials, but made the demand for the materials higher, then the prices would have shot way up. In the long run, it’ll be a GOOD thing for the econ (we are both speculating with this, but this is what I see happening).

The new event… is nothing close to the rewards from ember/deadeye. You can get about as many boxes just by doing the frost champs in the same period of time.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

As of yet, there are no “raids”, organized, instanced group content for 8+ players, until that happens the zerg is the only thing that the players who have been trained by other MMO’s, have to do. It makes sense to them and, as they are a large part of the players currently, it is something A-Net has to address, IMHO

CCCP….

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Simple as that.

this
The fact is I do not farm- I don’t find it fun and I don’t like being bored.
I understand that there are actually people out there who like it and they can farm on for all I care.

What I do not want is larger gold sinks in the game to make up for the extra gold gained by farming.
That will leave the non farmer destitute.

We need to have similar rewards for actually playing the content in the game.
Dynamic events need to be rewarding when they succeed and they need to not be rewarding if they fail.
You also need some kind of participation measure so that people do not just jump in at the end of a chain to get a chest.
ATM we have a very lopsided situation were you get rewarded beyond your wildest dreams for doing a mindless repetitive activity, but doing a variety of content and playing the game like a game rewards you with enough to get by if you are lucky

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

Guild wars 2: Play as you like… My kitten …

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Have never ever seen this happen. Could you give me some form of proof?

xephire.8324

No its farm as you like.

Yargesh.4965

No its farm as you like.

What exactly is stopping you from doing other things? I really don’t see how one thing prevents you from doing other things. Add people from this thread that agree with you and join up and do what you want.

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

I like to farm. For a limited time. Then I do something else (I have still not done the gauntlet achievements and want to do the special funhouse achievements). I have never encountered a delayed aetherblade captain killing. Ok, he wasn’t always killed as fast as possible but that was in line with the usual inefficiency of a zerg. Unnecessary deaths, lags, some people who are new or unwilling to learn… While I have my gripes with the story side of the invasion (they invade nothing except empty ground) I like the staged kind of event very much. And the community I experienced is not worse than elsewhere. In the old speedfarming cof1 days I encountered much more rude behaviour in front of the cof entrance.

All in all invasions are ok and the frostgorge sound loop is also quite balanced right now. You can get rich there but not overly so.

(edited by Claudius.5381)

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

My main concern with recent content additions is that it seems ArenaNet has decided that dumping massive amounts of loot on the community with each new patch is a good way to move people to the new content and retain players.

This idea is completely counter to their previous design philosophy, and I think it threatens the long-term health of the economy. I’m already seeing many items in the TP which had very stable prices starting to take sudden big drops or increases.

My biggest concern is that this type of new event mass farming 24/7 will start to be mandatory in order to achieve anything in the game. If I’m at too much of a money disadvantage and can’t even buy regular stuff anymore because I choose not to farm these events, the game isn’t much fun for me. Screwing the game’s economy in the long term in order to retain or amuse players in the short term with a shower of loot…not a very sound business strategy. It makes me a bit sad, and makes me wonder what exactly is happening inside ArenaNet.

I never minded loot and money being a bit scarce…because it means things retain their value and people don’t have to farm constantly if they don’t want to.

(edited by Fozzik.1742)

Posted by: Gufuu.6384

Gufuu.6384

Here’s an idea: Have a real reason to do a zerg farm other than having the zerg farm content available EVERY DAY. Why don’t you MODERATE it by just making it a once/twice a week thing. Monsters raid a random zone destroy everything even the buildings once a week and the zerg can destroy/rebuild the whole zone or do whatever until their hearts are content. You could make it give better rewards that way since because the zerg wont be doing this sort of stuff every day.

Ranger
Playing since headstart.

Knote.2904

No its farm as you like.

Actually it’s not “farm as you like” which is sort of the problem.

Farm should be distributed throughout all parts of the game so you can “farm” somewhat equally and do w/e you want.

Aberrant.6749

No its farm as you like.

Actually it’s not “farm as you like” which is sort of the problem.

Farm should be distributed throughout all parts of the game so you can “farm” somewhat equally and do w/e you want.

As I’ve said before (might have been in another thread, idk), I totally agree that the rewards need to be better balanced across the board.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: LoneWolfie.1852

LoneWolfie.1852

Haven’t seen the ’don’t kill champ captain, it spawns continuous champs’ on chat yet, but I disagree with the TC.

I find fun in farming champs, it’s pretty dolyak obvious farming SHOULD produce the largest source of income to players who want to get gold (the players who refuse to do otherwise shouldn’t complain about not receiving the kitten pie, since the pie is there for you to take.), and ANet can easily equalize defeat scarlet = mass champ loot farm, and I’m sure players would be okay with finishing an event rather than “kill more champ loots”.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I participated in Ember farm a few times. I enjoyed it, but, having arthritis makes it difficult to be competitive. So,a s a result, I didn’t realize the mass money that others did.

So, I found a different thing to do. I found an item that I can craft with some degree of profit. I can make more doing that than I can farming.

I understand both sides of the argument about farming, but what it all boils down to is that there is a bloc of people who LIKE to farm. Let them farm. I don’t see them telling those who don’t like it that THEY have to farm in order to play the game.

What I’m saying is don’t tell me how to play and I won’t tell you.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

@op

Ember gave mostly items and a small coin reward. There was very little actual inflation involved with the ember farm (the pure gold gain from farming dung’s would have caused much more inflation if people had opted to do those instead). Ember did introduce tons of t5/6 and core/lodestones into the market and made them less expensive (they were getting a bit out of hand). Considering that we’ll need these for when 500 crafting comes out, it’s a good thing. If they hadn’t introduced more materials, but made the demand for the materials higher, then the prices would have shot way up. In the long run, it’ll be a GOOD thing for the econ (we are both speculating with this, but this is what I see happening).

The new event… is nothing close to the rewards from ember/deadeye. You can get about as many boxes just by doing the frost champs in the same period of time.

Ember created somewhere around 10g/hr, Dead Eye was around 20-25g/hr. Both are in no way “small coin” rewards compared to what was available prior.

Before that the best was CoF for around 5g/hr. If they really wanted to drive prices down they should’ve just kept the gold/hr stable across all activities while increase mat supply(I guess this was done this week with nerfs to both).

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

The alternative to mindless zerg farming is SKILL based small group / solo content.

The forums would be flooded with casuals are bads crying they cant do it. Then Anet would cater to them. Not even gonna bother fleshing this idea out any further im sure you get it.

Posted by: havoc.6814

havoc.6814

You are totally wrong OP. I get ressed all the time and res others as well. The only time I see people not being ressed is if there is a waypoint really close. Also you are not being pressured or forced to farm in any way. Those people farming these events are also not preventing you from working to forward them. Writig a wall of text doesn’t make your complaints any more correct. Wrong is wrong, and you are wrong.

I get it that you don’t like farming, but that’s kinda your problem. You shouldn’t come here and demand that everyone else be denied that which you dislike. Time to get off of your high horse and let other people play as they like. Seriously, just get on about your business and ignore the farmers. It’s not rocket science, nor is it difficult.

xephire.8324

No its farm as you like.

What exactly is stopping you from doing other things? I really don’t see how one thing prevents you from doing other things. Add people from this thread that agree with you and join up and do what you want.

As I said farm as you like, you misinterpreted my statement

Yargesh.4965

No its farm as you like.

As I said farm as you like, you misinterpreted my statement

Ok, seems I did.

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

I just want to point out and thank Aberrant and projectcedric for providing good thoughtful comments amidst the usual sturm und drang.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

… because of Champion Rewards?

The Champion Rewards, Boxes with possibilites of valuable content are online for quite a while now.
And since then I noticed a rapid increase of Hostility and Hate, and a rapid decrease okittendness and helpfulness.

First it started with People ranting at new players in Queensdale for doing Champion Events without telling that it started with the nearest waypoint. As I waited for the Shadow Behemoth to spawn, I wondered with what effectivity this would scare new players away, who likes being a Target of Rage because of something you couldn’t know?

Then the Champion Farm Trains started to hit and if you would do Champions in the wrong order, part of this Train or not, you would be again be a Target of Hate and Rage, because you are denying people their Profit.

After that, I started to participate in Ember farming, where People were failing an Event on Purpose in order to profit from it the most. But they raged at everyone trying to do the Event how it was supposed to be by destroying the Cauldrons. Seeing People starting a commotion because of that, some thought it would be a ton of fun to destroy those Cauldrons with the Purpose to see the whole Zerg burst in Rage. And they succeeded. Everytime the Cauldrons where destroyed, whever it delayed the Farm or not, People puked all of the mapchat with their Rage.

And now, where here at the Zergfest Anet likes to call Clockwork Chaos. While the last Zergfest was in a closed Area, where it belongs, this one is in the open World and People have to mix up with Champion Farmers in order to get their Achievements.
A Big Zerg scales up an Event so high that the Champion they are killing one shots you without a chance to dodge caused by the FPS Problems.

And you are being called a Scrub, because you ask people in the map chat to get you out of the Downed State you are in. This happened to me.
I was downed by the Champion in a big croud of People that were spamming 1 and bled out over a duration of 30 seconds. Okay, maybe they didn’t notice, I should tell them through the map chat that I would be a great help to revive downed players.

Thats what I got as answers:
Player A: “Learn to dodge scrub”
Player B: “Yeah just don’t get downed nub”
Player C: “I need loot, f**k reviving”.
Player D : “People who die are dumb”
Player E: “Go play minecraft”

I never experienced this kind of Hostility before the Champion Loot Update, maybe because those people were locked in in CoF P1 or something, but this behavior is poison for the community. What are your thoughts and experiences?

(edited by Justdeifyme.9387)

Posted by: prenavo.3926

prenavo.3926

Go. Did the community go down the toilet….
I didn’t bother to read the rest. Sorry, that just stuck out too much for me.

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

… because of Champion Rewards?

The Champion Rewards, Boxes with possibilites of valuable content are online for quite a while now.
And since then I noticed a rapid increase of Hostility and Hate, and a rapid decrease okittendness and helpfulness.

First it started with People ranting at new players in Queensdale for doing Champion Events without telling that it started with the nearest waypoint. As I waited for the Shadow Behemoth to spawn, I wondered with what effectivity this would scare new players away, who likes being a Target of Rage because of something you couldn’t know?

Then the Champion Farm Trains started to hit and if you would do Champions in the wrong order, part of this Train or not, you would be again be a Target of Hate and Rage, because you are denying people their Profit.

After that, I started to participate in Ember farming, where People were failing an Event on Purpose in order to profit from it the most. But they raged at everyone trying to do the Event how it was supposed to be by destroying the Cauldrons. Seeing People starting a commotion because of that, some thought it would be a ton of fun to destroy those Cauldrons with the Purpose to see the whole Zerg burst in Rage. And they succeeded. Everytime the Cauldrons where destroyed, whever it delayed the Farm or not, People puked all of the mapchat with their Rage.

And now, where here at the Zergfest Anet likes to call Clockwork Chaos. While the last Zergfest was in a closed Area, where it belongs, this one is in the open World and People have to mix up with Champion Farmers in order to get their Achievements.
A Big Zerg scales up an Event so high that the Champion they are killing one shots you without a chance to dodge caused by the FPS Problems.

And you are being called a Scrub, because you ask people in the map chat to get you out of the Downed State you are in. This happened to me.
I was downed by the Champion in a big croud of People that were spamming 1 and bled out over a duration of 30 seconds. Okay, maybe they didn’t notice, I should tell them through the map chat that I would be a great help to revive downed players.

Thats what I got as answers:
Player A: “Learn to dodge scrub”
Player B: “Yeah just don’t get downed nub”
Player C: “I need loot, f**k reviving”.
Player D : “People who die are dumb”
Player E: “Go play minecraft”

I never experienced this kind of Hostility before the Champion Loot Update, maybe because those people were locked in in CoF P1 or something, but this behavior is poison for the community. What are your thoughts and experiences?

Well for one it is faster to just wp and run back. You only have a set time for the invasions so every second spent reviving or you laying on the ground asking for a revive is slowing down the team.

Another thing is, how are you even dying in a zerg? Just stand in the back and afk auto attack. Its really not that hard.

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."