Zerking is the Teamwork in PvE

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SoDeep.1739

SoDeep.1739

After reading a bunch of zerker articles it appears a lot of people have the misconception of people who play zerker toons, as did I when I first started. During the first few months I would die a good amount of the time and my first solution was to get tanky gear.

If you make you gear tanky enough you can just not move and spam 1 and heal occasionally (Now the conception of what zerk warriors do). My first character was an elementalist and this is what i would do and occasionally switch elements. If you make tanky enough gear you can play this game with little effort as possible.

I would play dungeons and people would die multiple time and say it was because they are “glass cannons”. I just thought they sucked (which is possible). I would have the mentality not to rez them some of the time because they kept dying.

As I got better and wanted to do more damage I converted most of my armor to zerker. I learned. From experience if you do this you will learn so much about the class you are using. This forces you to use your F skills, 3-5 skills and choose wisely your 7-0 skills.

When playing dungeons with 5 zerkers everyone contributes more than people think (reflect, blind, immobilize, knockdown, pull this npc/mob, evasive skill, knowing when to rez people, dropping banners etc.) You are forced to go beyond attacking when going full damage.

In harder dungeon’s/fractals you need the teamwork to get through certain parts. This is my first MMO so maybe in an abstract view this might be the trinity that people are upset is not in this game. In harder content every class can play a role.

If you enjoy playing the way you do its cool. I suggest to everyone to try and slowly go zerker. And yes I will do dungeons with non zerkers. And no I did not like to farm cof with anything other then wars/thieves and a mesmer.

I don’t think I am amazing at this game but there are some things I play with a party preference. I feel that people who play zekrer or close to it will understand the mechanis of fights a little more than others. The challenge in this game is not always the content but the character you play.

Hexevine- Sylvari Elementalist
Devonas Rest
“I’m rough and I’m tough and I’m king of the Maguuma Jungle”

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

I honestly don’t care what armor you wear as long as I don’t have to pick you up constantly. I don’t see why people on both sides of the fence make such a big deal over it. Try the grey area – its nice here.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I honestly don’t care what armor you wear as long as I don’t have to pick you up constantly. I don’t see why people on both sides of the fence make such a big deal over it. Try the grey area – its nice here.

Indeed

The tea here is to die for

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Conditions are garbage in group pve against bosses. I have a ranger that can stack bleeding quickling on stuff with around 2k condition when buffed. I get maybe 1-2 bleed stack on the mob when people with 0 in condition damage are taking the rest of the stacks.

We will never see a player side condition stacks, instead of group side stacks we have rightn ow, due to server latency and costs.

SoDeep.1739

I dont care about the armor people are wearing either for the most part. The point I am trying to make is that people demand zerker because it allegedly means you have a better understanding of the mechanics of the game because you don’t rely on your armor and you know how to use your skills better. There are exceptions such as condition necros and engineers.

Devonas Rest

Posted by: Darkeus.2369

Darkeus.2369

See, if I want a DPS character (Which I actually play the most) then I will make one. If I want to do conditions or other things, that is what I do.

This is why the trinity worked for so long. Defined roles for people to play. When you lose that, you lose some variety. Not to mention that ANet needs to do some balancing to make different armor sets viable.

But, play what you want. :-)

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

OP contends that Zerkers use their 3-9 skills not just more often, but more effectively than players built to survive more than a single hit. ….I laughed pretty hard.

I contend that they’re actually less skilled because they play a special version of the game that’s easier than what a balanced team faces, simply because whatever they focus all their damage on, dies in half the time so they’re not facing enough exposure time for the fight to GET difficult in the first place. And Exposure MATTERS. “Resource Management”, MATTERS. Skill in using your 3-9 skills, doesn’t just come from frequency, but also timing and saving them for when they become the game changer. They don’t know what that’s like because the Mob is already dead before that game changer situation even happens.

In other cases, they don’t even fight most ‘Elite’ groups of mobs and instead run past them. When asked why, you’ll always get a bevy of half-truths about “well they’re beneath us” & “We’re just saving time, they give no decent drops anyway”. Some of which is true… But what they’re not telling you is that they also don’t have enough stamina to dodge every single attack by those mobs and their 3-9 skills don’t recharge fast enough either b/c all of those skills are balanced around a PvP minigame called “Conquest Mode”. …and not balanced around PvE. Thus they’ll often get downed repeatedly by those Elites, especially the tougher ones in AC, CM, Path2Arah, & a few other niche places that actually present more difficulty than COF/HotW/COE/SE do…

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

I dont care about the armor people are wearing either for the most part. The point I am trying to make is that people demand zerker because it allegedly means you have a better understanding of the mechanics of the game because you don’t rely on your armor and you know how to use your skills better. There are exceptions such as condition necros and engineers.

i totaly diagree i close to never uses zerker gear dont like it and its rubish(totaly my oppnion) but i still know enough about my class and know how to use it and its abiletys to pull of anything the zerker play that will stand next to me say is eighter impossible(solo the flame and frost dungoen(it where possible tho time consuming)) or you need to have high damage to do?

i agree that there is something that the zerker has to take into considerration that a more tanky player dont need to do in the same degree given the amount of hits each can take but thats all.
The seconed they say that i need to wear zerker gear to help the groupe i begin to call them min/max players that have 1 of two reasons generly to play 1 being the rewords at the end and i need to get there asap or 2 im a “elite” player and i know whats best for anyone, when that comes i tend to say your wrong, heck i meet more zerkers that have less knowlege of there classes then some of the more tanky people i play with.

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

contend that they’re actually less skilled because they play a special version of the game that’s easier than what a balanced team faces, simply because whatever they focus all their damage on, dies in half the time so they’re not facing enough exposure time for the fight to GET difficult in the first place. And Exposure MATTERS. “Resource Management”, MATTERS. Skill in using your 3-9 skills, doesn’t just come from frequency, but also timing and saving them for when they become the game changer. They don’t know what that’s like because the Mob is already dead before that game changer situation even happens.

Since zerkers are more glassy, doesn’t the game changer come sooner? It will take at least one full rotation to kill a boss, and if you’ve ever run in a full zerk group we don’t just leave our utility slots empty.

In other cases, they don’t even fight most ‘Elite’ groups of mobs and instead run past them. When asked why, you’ll always get a bevy of half-truths about “well they’re beneath us” & “We’re just saving time, they give no decent drops anyway”. Some of which is true… But what they’re not telling you is that they also don’t have enough stamina to dodge every single attack by those mobs and their 3-9 skills don’t recharge fast enough either b/c all of those skills are balanced around a PvP minigame called “Conquest Mode”. …and not balanced around PvE. Thus they’ll often get downed repeatedly by those Elites, especially the tougher ones in AC, CM, Path2Arah, & a few other niche places that actually present more difficulty than COF/HotW/COE/SE do…

And what’s wrong with that? We skip mobs because they’re not worth killing due to bad loot, and if on top of that it’s also because we can’t handle them what’s the big deal? Not to say I’d even know since I always skip unnecessary mobs.

heck i meet more zerkers that have less knowlege of there classes then some of the more tanky people i play with.

If you actually knew a thing or two about your class you’d know you don’t need to run tanky gear in PVE.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

If you actually knew a thing or two about your class you’d know you don’t need to run tanky gear in PVE.

say that after trying soloing a dungoen ment for 5 people without skipping anything and ill belive you(i know it could have been done with 5 in a zerker setup but thats not the challenge)

as my example goes on flame and frost dungoen(as i know that can be done without leaving anything up) if you in any way can say you could do that on a zerker geared toon i will listen,
all pve content can be done with zerker gear if the groupe is maxed in size yes but that does not make them better in any way as a groupe of shaman geared people could do the same;) so by setting them individuely agienst a pve event and see if both could do it that seems fair;).

i will say that there are tanky people that dont know much but hell the same can be said to zerky players;) im just trying to say that both zerker playstyle people and tanky playstyle people can know enough about mechanic in the game to pull of the same as the other and there for saying stuff like zerkers are the teamplayers or the best players in the game or something that makes it gaer based and that i will call a lie and thats what im trying to say is wrong to do.

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

(edited by Korsbaek.9803)

SoDeep.1739

I’m not saying you have to play one play style. There are bad zerkers. Some are also trying to learn to play damage builds. There are good players. Alot of the zerkers have done content already 20 times and the fun is seeing how fast you can do it. When I first do new content I take my time to do it and I’m sure most zerkers do. The reason people want zerkers is because it almost guarantees getting through certain content.
No matter how well you know mechanics there is some content that needs dps. If you don’t agree with me you pug cof path 2 and ac path 1 and 3 a bunch of times on lfg.
You will not get through burrows if you do not have dps and guarding mag is a nightmare w/o zerkers or close to it.
It goes something like this
LFG zerkers cof path 2 no skipping = 15-30mins
LFG cof path 2 =30-1h30mins after multiple wipes on mag, occasional fails on gather boulders.
LFG zerkes ac path 1 and 3= 30 mins-1hour
LFG path 3= 30mins to 2 hours

There are some dungeon paths i would not request zerkers because they are less forgiving to weaker players.

Anyone can play how they want and I will still run dungeons with you I dont care.

Devonas Rest

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

But what they’re not telling you is that they also don’t have enough stamina to dodge every single attack by those mobs and their 3-9 skills don’t recharge fast enough either b/c all of those skills are balanced around a PvP minigame called “Conquest Mode”. …and not balanced around PvE.

Yep. Every balance decision that ANet has made makes more sense if you look at the effect of that change on PvP.

As to the OP, any team composition can work together. However, not all players have the skills needed to work together. This applies to berserker players as well as those rocking other specs.

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

I’m not saying you have to play one play style. There are bad zerkers. Some are also trying to learn to play damage builds. There are good players. Alot of the zerkers have done content already 20 times and the fun is seeing how fast you can do it. When I first do new content I take my time to do it and I’m sure most zerkers do. The reason people want zerkers is because it almost guarantees getting through certain content.
No matter how well you know mechanics there is some content that needs dps. If you don’t agree with me you pug cof path 2 and ac path 1 and 3 a bunch of times on lfg.
You will not get through burrows if you do not have dps and guarding mag is a nightmare w/o zerkers or close to it.
It goes something like this
LFG zerkers cof path 2 no skipping = 15-30mins
LFG cof path 2 =30-1h30mins after multiple wipes on mag, occasional fails on gather boulders.
LFG zerkes ac path 1 and 3= 30 mins-1hour
LFG path 3= 30mins to 2 hours

There are some dungeon paths i would not request zerkers because they are less forgiving to weaker players.

Anyone can play how they want and I will still run dungeons with you I dont care.

ac is a terrible example, you can’t crit burrows, so ptv performs the exact same as zerker against burrows

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

People are complainning that other builds are not as good.
Everyone is going zerker on most of the game because it is possible, better and all the other builds arent as good.

They need to bring other roles such as support into play.

SoDeep.1739

ac is a terrible example, you can’t crit burrows, so ptv performs the exact same as zerker against burrows[/quote]

It is not a terrible example. Requesting zerkers will guarantee all exotics with the main stat power. Pugging will get you a random mix of gear and not always exotics.

Devonas Rest