Zero armors added since launch...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

…inside the actual game. Other than the upcoming ascended.

I was thinking about the new ascended armors being added and suddenly came to the realization that since launch, a year now, GW2 has seen literally zero new armors added within the actual game. As in not in the gem store.

Made me really sad.

That my people, is the price of no subscription fee.

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Well, the gen store is inside the game, and if you makr hold into gems i can guarantee you it will cost less than a entire t3 cultural armor

We first have to make sure to introduce some of the armors pesent in pvo but not in pve before we can even think about making new ones.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

Achievement armor and rare aqua breather.

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

to be fair, they also have released several new back armor pieces since launch.

so not literally zero, in fact.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Backs are accessories and Bismuth and OP are right

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

yea they need to get the armor design guys rolling, and they probably need to release multiple at once, because looks are subjective. I fully understand the amount of work they have to do with clipping and whatnot, but yeah, its been a year.

As far as having to design for multiple races, i think everyone would be ok if they started making more racial gear. while its nice to have a version of armor for every race, people like having more options more than having less options that everyone can use. Not to mention for charr and a lesser extent asura, most armors that work well for them dont work well for other races, and vice versa.

Also they should look to add more variety. medium needs more gear without a big trench coat or tail, or long coat.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I seem to remember gauntlets and shoulders you can get from achievement points, gauntlets from flame and frost, shoulders from the Scarlet invasion, and armor in the cash shop.

So not zero.

GrandmaFunk.3052

Backs are accessories…

Back pieces are armor, they break down from defeats and must be repaired, just like all the other armor pieces. Also, it’s a visible modification to your appearance, which accessories do not do.

and Bismuth and OP are right

Since Bismuth is contradicting OP, they can’t both be right.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by GrandmaFunk.3052)

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Yay shoulders, aqua masks, helms, gauntlets and backpacks that generally don’t mix well with anything else (kind of like the chaos gloves in GW1).

However, gem store armor, for anyone who played GW1 think about that : if you wanted a 15k you had to farm. 60 k + mats didn’t miraculously appear in your storage without farming. Just like 800 gems don’t. My main complaint (aside that I don’t really like what was released) is that you have to buy the whole sets even if you are interested in only one or two pieces.

But then, when I see what we are going to get…Yep we’ll have new armor sets, too bad they don’t look good.

phys.7689

I seem to remember gauntlets and shoulders you can get from achievement points, gauntlets from flame and frost, shoulders from the Scarlet invasion, and armor in the cash shop.

So not zero.

so we can say 0 sets from normal game play?

the point is really they have not expanded peoples visual appearance options much since launch, while armor does take longer, i think they should realease more than 0 new appearances.

Also i highly reccomend they make a visual appearance tab, where you can unlock armor and freely change appearance, they can tie it to transmutation stones, but the current system is very unwieldly, if you like two armor sets visually you have to carry around/store 6 pieces, and you cant choose you appearance even if you do, because each look will be tied to certain stats.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Here is my concern.

Normally we would be looking at an expansion in the works or possibly close to release. This would probably give us a variety of things including new armor in the game. (Not gem store, but earned in the game)

We’ve seen a few skins with achievements, aqua breathers, set of gloves, and shoulder piece. Ascended whenever that hits. (next month I would guess) I do not consider back pieces to be armor, they are accessories to me. We’ve seen a lot if not too many of those released.

How many new armor pieces in game would you expect to see in an expansion?

I am not sure, but I would expect more than 4 skins and 3 aqua breathers. These aren’t even full sets but pieces.

Can the living story provide these things outside of the gem store?

I am not sure that it can. Or that they will. I understand that armor takes up a lot of resources to produce. Six pieces per set, they have to fit all the characters etc.

Players would be or are ok with them in the gem store. At the same time give us more to earn in game. Earning gold to convert to gems isn’t nearly as exciting as getting an armor drop, or even a token system. Dungeons in general are very lacking in the area.

With the recent exception of TA (possibilities of new weapons). The other dungeons don’t drop anything. You get a bag that is under whelming. Perhaps I am too WOW ingrained. I kill a dungeon boss and I know he is going to drop something cool. Might not be for my class but he drops something. (fixed loot table)

Each of those dungeons have a token system. Why not have that armor drop and have it account bound?

phys.7689

Yay shoulders, aqua masks, helms, gauntlets and backpacks that generally don’t mix well with anything else (kind of like the chaos gloves in GW1).

However, gem store armor, for anyone who played GW1 think about that : if you wanted a 15k you had to farm. 60 k + mats didn’t miraculously appear in your storage without farming. Just like 800 gems don’t. My main complaint (aside that I don’t really like what was released) is that you have to buy the whole sets even if you are interested in only one or two pieces.

But then, when I see what we are going to get…Yep we’ll have new armor sets, too bad they don’t look good.

yea, the design on ascended seems to be largely unliked by most. This is why i think they need multiple people producing more armor. they say armor is costly, and we end up wasting that time and resources on an armor no one really likes.

I reccomend they set up some in game voting systems, tie it to the black lion trading post, since that appears to be fairly web based. Every couple of months players could vote on the best concept designs. They can also add new unseen armors so everything isnt predictable, and also not just the most popular, but at least 1 set during a time frame would probably be appealing to most players.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Southsun and Halloween both had shoulder skins, and I seem to remember Southsun having aqua breathers and some kind of tiki mask.

It might be more accurate to say that armor sets haven’t been added to the game, although I think Fortus raises a good point about gem store armor costing substantially less than tier 3 cultural armor. (~36 gold for new gem store armor, 119 for a cultural suit. Yeah.) You have to apply the gem store armor skins to a separate set, admittedly, but if you’re dropping 119 gold on armor, you’re probably going to transmute it onto something exotic anyway, rather than just wear rare-level stats that may not fit your build anyway.

I’d like to see more in-game sets added, of course, but there’s already a decent selection (in my opinion) and adding new, complete armor sets is relatively expensive, so I see why they generally end up in the store, while in-game pieces end up just being pieces, rather than sets.

That said, look at the reaction the ascended armors seem to be getting. At least on the board threads I saw, the reaction was largely negative, so it bears keeping in mind that just because new armor gets added doesn’t mean any individual player is going to like that new set more than the ~37 alternatives they already had when the game shipped.

That’s only counting the options available to a character of a particular race and gender. Subtract two order sets if you’ve already picked an order, add 4 cultural sets if you haven’t picked a race. Throw your hands up in the air and abandon efforts to count easily if you want to count armor that looks different between genders. Six new armor sets have been added to the gem store, along with the three that are already there. They’re not always considered to be “in-game,” but, I might repeat, they’re still 30% the price of tier 3 cultural armor, and even cheaper for the Legacy sets.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

(edited by Redenaz.8631)

phys.7689

Here is my concern.

Normally we would be looking at an expansion in the works or possibly close to release. This would probably give us a variety of things including new armor in the game. (Not gem store, but earned in the game)

We’ve seen a few skins with achievements, aqua breathers, set of gloves, and shoulder piece. Ascended whenever that hits. (next month I would guess) I do not consider back pieces to be armor, they are accessories to me. We’ve seen a lot if not too many of those released.

How many new armor pieces in game would you expect to see in an expansion?

I am not sure, but I would expect more than 4 skins and 3 aqua breathers. These aren’t even full sets but pieces.

Can the living story provide these things outside of the gem store?

I am not sure that it can. Or that they will. I understand that armor takes up a lot of resources to produce. Six pieces per set, they have to fit all the characters etc.

Players would be or are ok with them in the gem store. At the same time give us more to earn in game. Earning gold to convert to gems isn’t nearly as exciting as getting an armor drop, or even a token system. Dungeons in general are very lacking in the area.

With the recent exception of TA (possibilities of new weapons). The other dungeons don’t drop anything. You get a bag that is under whelming. Perhaps I am too WOW ingrained. I kill a dungeon boss and I know he is going to drop something cool. Might not be for my class but he drops something. (fixed loot table)

Each of those dungeons have a token system. Why not have that armor drop and have it account bound?

there should probably be around 8 new armor sets a year. And yeah getting something from normal game play is generally more fun than spending gold or rl money for a lot of people.

phys.7689

Southsun and Halloween both had shoulder skins, and I seem to remember Southsun having aqua breathers and some kind of tiki mask.

It might be more accurate to say that armor sets haven’t been added to the game, although I think Fortus raises a good point about gem store armor costing substantially less than tier 3 cultural armor. (~36 gold for new gem store armor, 119 for a cultural suit. Yeah.) You have to apply the gem store armor skins to a separate set, admittedly, but if you’re dropping 119 gold on armor, you’re probably going to transmute it onto something exotic anyway, rather than just wear rare-level stats that may not fit your build anyway.

I’d like to see more in-game sets added, of course, but there’s already a decent selection (in my opinion) and adding new, complete armor sets is relatively expensive, so I see why they generally end up in the store, while in-game pieces end up just being pieces, rather than sets.

That said, look at the reaction the ascended armors seem to be getting. At least on the board threads I saw, the reaction was largely negative, so it bears keeping in mind that just because new armor gets added doesn’t mean any individual player is going to like that new set more than the ~37 alternatives they already had when the game shipped.

That’s only counting the options available to a character of a particular race and gender. Subtract two order sets if you’ve already picked an order, add 4 cultural sets if you haven’t picked a race. Throw your hands up in the air and abandon efforts to count easily if you want to count armor that looks different between genders. Six new armor sets have been added to the gem store, along with the three that are already there. They’re not always considered to be “in-game,” but, I might repeat, they’re still 30% the price of tier 3 cultural armor, and even cheaper for the Legacy sets.

i dont think cultural armor is introduced into the game that well, it should probably have been tied to some type of story/lore/location/npcs to make it more interesting and enhance the world.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“Southsun and Halloween both had shoulder skins, and I seem to remember Southsun having aqua breathers and some kind of tiki mask.”

Had forgotten about these skins. Tiki mask is town clothing.

You make some good points RED about it actually being cheaper to convert gold to gems and buy the armor. Again though, not an exciting way to obtain them. Not that paying gold for T3 is exciting either.

As for cost to develop. I understand that. They’ve been telling us for a while that it’s cost prohibitive. On the other hand they make statements like “the gem shop is doing very well”. Seems clear to me that time are good for them. I guess I am starting to feel more and more like this is a f2p gem shop game rather than a b2p game. I hate to think or feel that way but it’s how it’s becoming to me.

I want to run dungeons and get rewarded. I want to kill epic bosses and get rewarded. I know there is RNG involved, and you shouldn’t get instant BiS or super sword of awesome every drop. But the rewards feel dismal. 1-3g is not luring me into the dungeons or to events.

Posted by: JBDanger.2603

JBDanger.2603

I was thinking about the new ascended armors being added and suddenly came to the realization that since launch, a year now, GW2 has seen literally zero new armors added within the actual game. As in not in the gem store.

Made me really sad.

They have added some, but not a full set!
In flame and frost, you had the fused guantlets that doesnt match anything, no other pieces in that set.
In the scarlet update they had the twisted shoulders, still no full set.
In Zephyr Sanctum they had the wind sun and lightning helm, still no full set.
In the achievement boxes, you get the Radiant/Hellfire mantle, gloves and helm which only appeal to heavy classes, still no full set.
Whats up with all these random pieces without the rest of the set?

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Very nice counter arguments, guys.

Essentially zero armor sets have been added that aren’t in the gem shop and using the AP armor as an example is quite ridiculous, how many points would it require for a full set lol? 10k? 15?

For a game that is supposedly all about getting better looking gear, sure is strange to see nothing but vertical progression instead of skins.

I will say there is a healthy amount of weapon skins being added but armor is on the losing end. I’m forgetting about ascended armor but those are ugly as hell so we won’t count that.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yes, there were single pieces – but the only complete armor sets so far were those in the gem shop.
And those single pieces don’t really mesh too well with the existing armors (with the possible exception of hellfire/CoF combo).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Armor set is much harder to design than weapons. All weapons are the exact same across sizes. You just scale them from small (asura) to large (norn/charr)

Armor? Not only do you have to scale for size but you have to scale for race. The layout of armor on Charr is much more different than an Asura, for e.g.

This is why they constantly come out with backpieces. It’s something that scales easily just as weapons do.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Mathias.9657

^so that’s the justification for no new armor sets? Pretty lame if you ask me, just because something is hard doesn’t mean it should be ignored. Especially in a game all about (lol or supposed to be about) cosmetics.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

^so that’s the justification for no new armor sets? Pretty lame if you ask me, just because something is hard doesn’t mean it should be ignored. Especially in a game all about (lol or supposed to be about) cosmetics.

You do know there are ascended armor previews out there, right?

Just cause you don’t have them now doesn’t mean they’re ignored. It takes time to develop stuff. I’m sorry you can’t have everything handed to you in one week or whenever you want it.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

We talking stats or graphics?

Stats we just got 3 I think it was last patch due to the removal of the mf gear.
Graphics we’ve gotten 3 different gloves, 3 different shoulders, something like 10 new suits in the gem store, 6 back pieces?

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Made me really sad.

My primeval armor only costed me 10 bucks and it could’ve costed me 0 if I wanted to.

A game with a subscription fee would’ve costed me 120 bucks only for playing the friggin game I bought.

Clearly, we have a winner.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Redenaz.8631

there should probably be around 8 new armor sets a year. And yeah getting something from normal game play is generally more fun than spending gold or rl money for a lot of people.

Eight seems pretty arbitrary, but we’ve seen six sets added to the gem store (3 Aetherblade, Phoenix, Braham, and Magitech) in the past year, and that’s not counting the non-set armor pieces. Or town clothes; to be fair, I think I’m one of the few people who likes town clothes, so I don’t expect anyone to count them. If we add in ascended armor, which is expected to be coming out by the end of the year, that’s seven sets.

I know the idea of counting gem store armor is a turn off for most people, but 36 gold doesn’t seem insane, compared to tier 3 cultural armor, and I can earn that money doing practically whatever I want, whether it’s dungeon runs, champ farming, world bosses, or whatever.

Could someone with more dungeon experience tell us how much gold they’d expect to earn while farming tokens for a set of dungeon armor?

i dont think cultural armor is introduced into the game that well, it should probably have been tied to some type of story/lore/location/npcs to make it more interesting and enhance the world.

I’m okay with it. It’s not like the rest of the other armor sets have significantly more substance to their origins anyway. /shrug

Again though, not an exciting way to obtain them. Not that paying gold for T3 is exciting either.

It’s not exactly exciting, no. But it is new armor art, which is all this thread seems to be asking for. Whether you’re grinding gold, grinding crafting, dungeon runs, or whatever else you want to do for armor, not all paths are going to be very exciting for any given player, unfortunately. Best I can say is that people have to earn their rewards somehow, and gold is generally the easiest currency to earn playing however you want. (Compared to fractal relics, dungeon tokens, etc., which require playing very specific content, which I might not be interested in.)

. I guess I am starting to feel more and more like this is a f2p gem shop game rather than a b2p game. I hate to think or feel that way but it’s how it’s becoming to me.

The way I see it, my initial purchase gave me access to all the armor sets (and content in general) that shipped with the game, and additions beyond that are either gravy (general content adds) or DLC (gem shop,) since I don’t have a subscription fee. If I were paying $15 a month, my expectations would be different, but I’m not. Traditional “pay once” games don’t, in my experience, usually get new content.

If something is hard, that more than likely means it is expensive. That doesn’t mean it should be ignored, but it does mean we shouldn’t be terribly surprised if they want to be paid for that work. ~$50 or less pays for a good game, but if we expect a game without expansions or a subscription fee to receive eight new armor sets a year, on top of other new content, we shouldn’t be surprised if there are strings attached.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

So not zero.

the point is really they have not expanded peoples visual appearance options much since launch, while armor does take longer, i think they should realease more than 0 new appearances.

Also i highly reccomend they make a visual appearance tab, where you can unlock armor and freely change appearance, they can tie it to transmutation stones, but the current system is very unwieldly, if you like two armor sets visually you have to carry around/store 6 pieces, and you cant choose you appearance even if you do, because each look will be tied to certain stats.

Have you not seen all the armors they added in the gemstore?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Astralporing.1957

So not zero.

If we’re considering gemstore to be normal gameplay now, we’re on sad times indeed.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

So not zero.

If we’re considering gemstore to be normal gameplay now, we’re on sad times indeed.

Are 23 Dungeonruns considered to be normal gameplay too? If so the game doesn’t have that many level 80 armor skins.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Astralporing.1957

So not zero.

Are 23 Dungeonruns considered to be normal gameplay too? If so the game doesn’t have that many level 80 armor skins.

A moot point, as no dungeon-based armor set was added to the game after launch.

Actions, not words.

GrandmaFunk.3052

I bought the phoenix light armor for my necro using only resources that I obtained through normal game play. /shrug

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Redenaz.8631

It’s not a moot point.

If there was a vendor selling Magitech armor in Rata Sum for 36 gold, that would be totally valid. People might complain about the price or the inability to buy individual pieces, but it’s still new armor, in the game. Somehow, doing that through a menu accessible anywhere in the game makes it not count?

At least with things that cost gold, I can earn them playing in a wide variety of ways, instead of having to play one area over and over. Saying “it costs a lot of gold” sounds crass, but it’s extremely flexible, easy-to-obtain currency, unlike most other tokens, so it doesn’t seem like a terrible thing to me.

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

I know it’s a lot of work to design armors for all the races, but it makes no sense that a game that’s supposed to be about cosmetics gets new armors so rarely — and never in the actual game.

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Since you can convert gold to gems I count the Gemstore armor in. So we actually got 6 full sets since launch and a bunch of single armor pieces.

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

it’s because anet thinks its more important that people stop playing the game as they continue to release unrewarding content.

It’s their choice.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I reccomend they set up some in game voting systems, tie it to the black lion trading post, since that appears to be fairly web based. Every couple of months players could vote on the best concept designs. They can also add new unseen armors so everything isnt predictable, and also not just the most popular, but at least 1 set during a time frame would probably be appealing to most players.

Remember the Ellen Kiel vs Evon <3 vote ? Yeah I don’t want to deal with that. And with the amount of trolls, the votes will be worse. And everything looks good on concept art, but then Anet puts it in the game…
I’m “fine” with armors I don’t like as long as once in a while there’s one I like. Sadly this day has yet to come.

And then there’s all the armor from GW1 that was or wasn’t used and the armors in GW2 that shouldn’t have been available to us yet it isn’t, which makes the whole situation even more annoying.

Posted by: ricky.4870

ricky.4870

we need more armors, this game is about cosmetic….. we pay for a cosmetic game we need armor period;)
is cool that they add a lot of weapons and back pieces but still no armor, just the ones at gem store and they suck, not all of them but a lot of them

Redenaz.8631

we need more armors, this game is about cosmetic….. we pay for a cosmetic game we need armor period;)

Did you pay for a game with a lot of cosmetic choices in it at launch? Were the number of choices in it a good value for your money when you bought it? If it was at the time, and they haven’t taken out any armor sets, how is it worse a year later?

Or did you buy the game based on what you wanted it to be, rather than what it was? It’s in the nature of an MMO, especial GW2, to promise future developments and new content, but when it comes time to put your money down, you should make that decision based on what you know is in the game and what you know 100% for sure is coming, with the caveat that even that might change. It was safe to assume there would be new armor, but if you’re counting on it, you’re taking a gamble on whether you’ll like the armor and whatever gameplay is required to obtain it.

Mathias.9657

You do know there are ascended armor previews out there, right?

Just cause you don’t have them now doesn’t mean they’re ignored. It takes time to develop stuff. I’m sorry you can’t have everything handed to you in one week or whenever you want it.

It has been over a year bro. Hardly any armor has been added, fact.

It doesn’t even bother me – I have my set and don’t plan on changing it, I’m not the type that changes his looks whenever that next cool piece of gear comes out (mostly because new gear is terrible). I find one and stick with it. But that was a funny counter argument, we’re not talking weeks here.

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

I am so glad someone made a thread about this extremely important issue.

This game is meant to be heavily cosmetically focused, this games entire end game purpose is pure cosmetics. No vertical progression. Just aiming to get the best LOOKING armour in game.

It has been one year and they have failed to add any armour in game. This is pathetic.

Gem store dose not count.

Achievement armour rewards dont count either since they look EXACTLY the same between Light, Medium and Heavy and dont even consist of a full set of armour.

For a game that use to pride itself on having no vertical progression and focus on pure cosmetics GW2 has rapidly become the WORST MMO when it comes to character customisation.

We should be seeing a unique full set off armour every month. A set off armour that looks different between Heavy, Medium and Light. They have had multiple opportunity’s to do this.

The constant backpiece spam that we have received over this year is pathetic, i understand why, backpiece items are a lazy way to give us players something new to wear, minimal effort involved and no need to distinguish between Heavy, Medium and Light.

Its lazy, extremely lazy, if this was Guild Wars 1 this would never happen. I expect much more from this game.

Redenaz.8631

It’s been nearly 17 months since I tossed the developers $54 for their game. Less, since I bought via a third party instead of directly from the company.

In the ~12 months since launch, that’s something like $4.50 a month. For as much as I play it, that is some astonishingly dirt cheap entertainment.

While I feel I was promised new content in the game, I was never specifically promised “new armor sets that can’t be bought for your choice of gold or money,” or that content would be added on my terms at all. When people demand “this many suits of armor per month,” or that “new armor must be available in-game, but not for gold or cash,” that’s imposing their vision, their terms, of what they want the game to be over top of what the game actual is and what they were specifically promised. What the game actually is has to get paid for somehow, and I can’t expect tons of new content on $4.50 a month, decreasing even more as time goes by.

It’s unfair to call people lazy or pathetic because they’re not working on your terms, providing exactly the product you want. You might not like the product they’re selling, but that’s not the same thing as it being a bad product.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Agree that hardly any armor has been added, and (outside the gem store) 0 new full sets, but disagree that zero armors have been added. Not counting back slot items or gem store armor sets:

Radiant helmet, shoulders, gauntlet. (my guardian is using the gauntlets)
Hellfire helmet, shoulders, gauntlet.
Watchwork shoulder (my engineer is using it)
Molten gauntlets (again, engineer)
Zephyrite wind, sun and lightning helmets (guardian is using the wind one, goes well with the radiant gauntlets)
Dragon helmet (my asura warrior uses this one).
Several halloween themed shoulder armor.
Consortium shoulder skin.

did I miss any?..

Sucks that you can’t get most of them by now, though.. I wish you could trade them, I have like 4 of the watchwork shoulders on my bank (and had 3 more my engineer used while leveling instead of wasting a transmutation stone and crystal)

To be fair, though… getting any of the armor sets added to the gem store with gold is probably still much cheaper than getting a full set of T3 cultural armor for the same character.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

phys.7689

the key is armor is supposed to be part of the progression of your charachter according to developers, something you work towards. They definately have poor tools for this type of content (no wardrobe inventory issues, stat issues) but their implementation post launch has been pretty poor for this type of progression armor wise.
Tiererd armor was essentially a gold grind, each teir gets higher, and the achievement or progression here was essentially about, how much extra gold can you get? Not really my cup of tea, but even so it would have been better if they also tied it to the world/story/npcs as i said.

dungeon armor represented which dungeons you played and how much you played them. Or dungeon progression

karma armor was based on dynamic event participation and karma gain, or exploration and open world involvement progression

level 80 drop only armor was based on either luck, or trade post value the players decided

Gem store armor though, doesnt really represent any progression, the gem system is designed to adapt to the amount of gold people generally have, and how much they value gems as a whole. So the price doesnt really represent the rarity and desire thing that well. Its not tied to any ingame activities so it doesnt reward most game play. Im not saying it shouldnt exist, im merely saying it doesnt work as a progression mechanic as the game said they wanted to have.

look at gw1 elite armors, they required you to get to a certain point in the story, gather rare items from that expansion, a certain amount of cash etc. They were tied to specific npcs, or even factions, where they made sense to be. You get norn armor from progressing to a certain level in norn areas.

yea they need more armor, and they need it tied to progression in the game.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Armor sets or armor skins? Because they added in both a lot of them in fact.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Redenaz.8631

I’m still not seeing the problem with gem store armor. It can be paid for, ultimately, with gold (as with cultural and dropped armor) and the price can fluctuate (as with dropped and crafted armor.) It’s a less specific measure of progression than, say, dungeon armor, which means you can earn it playing whatever way you enjoy, and it’s far less expensive than tier 3 cultural armor, meaning that, while still expensive, it’s far from the most grind-hungry armor sets. These all sound like pros to me, unless you put a ton of stock in other players looking at your armor and saying “Oh! He does <activity> a lot!”

That activity-specific prestige is what titles are for.

As for GW1 armors, most of them struck me as a matter of having enough platinum, both for their outright cost and the cost of materials. Some would require you to reach a certain point in the storyline, but that puts most of them on par with the order-specific armor sets in GW2. Eye of the North added cultural/faction armors that require a lot more work to earn, but, as that largely meant grinding in specific areas, they seem pretty comparable to dungeon armor to me. Not to mention how a lot of EotN armor was built by tweaking existing armor, something GW2 seems to be avoiding outside town clothes.

Don’t get me wrong, I like GW1 and its armor. But there’s a reason elite armor was also called 15k armor, in reference to how much coin it cost.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Made me really sad.

I disagree with it being the price of no subscription fee,theyre just taking a whole different road than they did with GW1,imhfo I like GW1 so much better in each and every way.By now we should have had an complete expansion pack..what do we have now ? Some sorry kitten living story i dont give a rats kitten about and celebrations every 2 weeks about who gives a kitten…and content that lasts for a week…I loved doing Pve in Gw1 – I hate doing it in Gw2,hence im not even doing it anymore,and basically stopped playing alltogether.Why post in the forum then ? Because im entitled to it and hope thing Will get better eventually,which as of now i seriously doubt.

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Backs are accessories…

Back pieces are armor, they break down from defeats and must be repaired, just like all the other armor pieces. Also, it’s a visible modification to your appearance, which accessories do not do.

and Bismuth and OP are right

Since Bismuth is contradicting OP, they can’t both be right.

Most backs arent visible and they use accessory upgrade gems so they are accessories. most backs are only visale when you put a skin on them.

The op is right in general since there hasnt really been any new armor besides what bismuth listed.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

I have to say, it is pretty ghetto that back armor is the only thing they added. For me Armor skins are the primary reason to play MMOs. it’s my main goal. I’d rather pay for new dungeons & be able to get new armor from actually PLAYING.

most MMOs have several entire sets of armor added each year with new dungeons or something, but in Guild Wars 2, you pay about a months worth of subscription for 1 set of skins that you can use once on one character.. yikes.

Posted by: ricky.4870

ricky.4870

@DarksunG i agree:)

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Instead armors have been removed from the game.

Remember Tribal? I do and I still want it for my necromancer.

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

Sorry for any confusion, what I did mean to say was armor sets. That’s what I was talking about originally, I was even thinking of putting armor sets in the title instead of armors because it might cause the confusion but was worried the title would be too big.

Anyway the point is that zero armor sets have been added within game, in a way where you can only obtain them through your hard work, instead of just buying them with money.

Although the radiant and hellfire pieces were added, they actually serve to prove my point.

Since the game doesn’t have a subscription fee they need to make their money by investing their resources into the gem shop. Because so many resources are invested in the gem shop, they’re left with a lot less of time and money to design things into the actual game, so all they managed to add was the very underwhelming same skin for all armor classes hide-able armor pieces – also known as radiant and hellfire.

This is made especially frustrating due to the fact they stated the game was supposed to be about customizing your character, and the end game was about getting new looks. How can you get new looks when zero were added into the actual game?