a fun time playing together...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MikeTangoAlpha.7269

MikeTangoAlpha.7269

This little game incident made me realize how fun GW2 is to play…

So I’m making my way across Queensdale towards a story quest when I see a dynamic quest pop up at Ojon’s Lumbermill. A couple NPC’s were there who wanted to bomb a nearby skritt cave and needed us to protect them. So I hang out a bit as a couple people gather waiting to start it up and…the quest won’t start! Don’t know why (ANet, you might wanna look at that quest cause it looked like the NPC’s legs were stuck in some logs).

Meanwhile, I’m chatting with the other players trying to figure out what’s up. We end up doing all the silly stuff like /dance and dodge rolling through each other, etc. while waiting.

Finally, though, we forget about the NPC’s and just raid the cave together ourselves! There was no loot other than drops, no credit for quest completion, low XP.

But it didn’t matter cause we were having FUN! I literally forgot about my story quest for a while and enjoyed teaming up and just playing!

The fact that we could take even a broken quest and get a good time out of it shows the brilliance of GW2’s quest system. By simply drawing everyone around to the quest location, even when it didn’t happen, by that time everyone had met and we were off and running! That spirit of cooperation is what sets this game apart and makes the experience memorable.

So what’s a fun moment you had in this game? Something where the mechanics and the stats and everything faded away and you were just enjoying yourself? I’m curious to know…

God bless!

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

If I recall precisely during the beta weekend events I had the most fun time in an mmo ever. September was a blast.
Today the game somehow feels like single player rpg.
Let’s see how the guild missions will turn out to be.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

A fun moment for me was when I was doing the jumping puzzle in Mount Malestrom, the one where you have to kill the keeper of winds to get in, and I had just gotten the very last element and was trying to take a shortcut down and I fell to my death. I was despairing about having to wp and kill the keeper of winds again when I was in view of my final chest. Just then a friendly soul raised me and I offered my thanks. She accepted and added jokingly that I should do the same for her. We partied up and I spotted her as she made her way up and did indeed fall to her death as well. I was happy I got to repay the favor and get her back on her feet. Then she got the chest, we thanked each other and parted ways. But it was all the same a fun spontaneous moment of friendship.

Posted by: Lifeson.4352

Lifeson.4352

A fun moment for me was when I was doing the jumping puzzle in Mount Malestrom, the one where you have to kill the keeper of winds to get in, and I had just gotten the very last element and was trying to take a shortcut down and I fell to my death. I was despairing about having to wp and kill the keeper of winds again when I was in view of my final chest. Just then a friendly soul raised me and I offered my thanks. She accepted and added jokingly that I should do the same for her. We partied up and I spotted her as she made her way up and did indeed fall to her death as well. I was happy I got to repay the favor and get her back on her feet. Then she got the chest, we thanked each other and parted ways. But it was all the same a fun spontaneous moment of friendship.

I had a similar situation there when both me and my friend got killed by one of the veteran earth elementals. But after lying there for a while waiting for someone to come along I noticed a revive orb in my bags. So I revived, and pulled one of the tree elementals onto the earth elemental so I could ress my friend who was lying right under it. Felt quite epic ressing my friend while two veterans battled it out right next to us.

Posted by: MikeTangoAlpha.7269

MikeTangoAlpha.7269

Those are great moments!

I had one in a jumping puzzle too! The one in Lion’s Arch with the secret pirate cave with the ghost? (I forgot the name of it) Anyway, it had a corridor with spears that shot out of the sides and roof. So me, being a bit too ambitious, I get downed by one of these and i’m trying to bandage myself but the spears keep knocking my health back down. I try not to die for maybe 5 minutes because it took soooo long to get that far and I didn’t wanna teleport back to the beginning!

Then another traveler just happens along. Not only does he revive me, he takes me all the way through to the end. Then he shows me the other two secret jumping puzzles in Lion’s Arch. He spent a lot of time there, maybe 2 hours, just helping me out and I totally appreciate it!

Great community out there

Posted by: Sebalon.5913

Sebalon.5913

That’s one of the best things about this game, the wonderful community.

Posted by: bookman.9260

bookman.9260

Doing my story dungeon mission in Arah was one of the most fun times I’ve had in this game. I had a great group that joked around, and we were all experienced so the dungeon went really smoothly.

We would be on the airships yelling out commands, and yelling, “Fire everything!!” Even though the Zhaitan fight turned out to be a little lame, it was amazing fun because of the group I had. Also I got to level up the entire game with two friends so leveling was always a fun and engaging experience. I think that is what has made the game so much fun for me.

Posted by: Attila.6348

Attila.6348

Doing my story dungeon mission in Arah was one of the most fun times I’ve had in this game. I had a great group that joked around, and we were all experienced so the dungeon went really smoothly.

We would be on the airships yelling out commands, and yelling, “Fire everything!!” Even though the Zhaitan fight turned out to be a little lame, it was amazing fun because of the group I had. Also I got to level up the entire game with two friends so leveling was always a fun and engaging experience. I think that is what has made the game so much fun for me.

I was disappointing in Arah too…very anticlimactic..However that didn’t prevent my group from calling baddies funny names, and making fun of the whole situation.
For example:
Why the hell is our ship celebrating when the other ships around us are getting blasted by dragons?

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

Hey this is a wonderful thread

OP, it’s great that you were able to take something ostensibly, objectively wrong with the game and use it as an opportunity.

Mine was last night in Queensdale: doing a champ troll event, somebody says “Are veteran hunting groups a thing? They should be a thing.” Still needing three for my dailies I grouped up and we scoured the marshes near the (dam) together. Great spontaneous moments like that really show what the game had in mind.

edit: Everybody should be disappointed with Arah story. I do noooot get that final fight.

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

I’ve had a lot of great moments in the game so far, but one I particularly remember was teaming up with another player who was also doing the Only Zhul jumping puzzle which spawns an event at the end to kill a Giant Destroyer Troll. We failed at that multiple times (mostly my fault, I must admit), but kept coming back until we succeeded. Even logged out for a game update and resumed again after logging back in.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

Posted by: achensherd.2735

achensherd.2735

I had a very fun duel in my first sPvP match. My Axe/Warhorn + Shortbow-wielding Ranger was spec’d for Precision, Toughness, and Condition Damage at the time, and at one point I found myself going against another Ranger running what I think was a trap build.

I fully expected to get my kitten handed to me instantly since I’d never fought another live player before, but surprisingly found myself fairly evenly matched against him, to the point where after a one or two minute fight we downed each other at the same time and spent the remainder of the fight some ten feet apart, throwing rocks at each other while our respective pets were desperately trying to revive us. Eventually I managed to kill him, but only by a very narrow margin (I was down to maybe low, double-digit health), to which he said, “So close!” and I, “:P”

Subsequent fights were much more in his favor (for every one time I killed him, he killed me twice), especially when he could stack traps on top of me, but the exchanges afterwards were always cordial, sportsmanlike… memorable. Good times.