a world with no transmutation charges?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I think this topic has been talked before a few times, but I’d love to hear what people have to say about this now.

why do we need transmutation charges each time we want to change our clothes? It makes sense to use them maybe the first time, but I believe we should be free to wear what we want when we want. it’s just a cosmetic change, and even if gw2 is heavily based on cosmetics, we’re not talking about a free wya to getting super exclusive skins or anything like that, only being able to wear what we already have unlocked previously.

I’ve played many games where we can change clothes freely (DCUO, TSW) and I love it, it feels much more real, “oh, I’m going to the snow mountains? better wear my coat, oh I’m going to a tropical island? lighter equipment it is then!”

I know it’s not hard to get the charges, pvp rewards them pretty often and we can just create a new character and explore all the cities for 6 charges in around 1 hour or so. but stil, having to spend at least an hour to get charges just because I felt like putting a coat for my visit to the shiverpeaks for 15 mins is not really a fun thing to do. Each time I save a few charges, I burn through them like a motherkittener.

I think gw2 would win much freedom if we could just choose the skins we want freely, without having to spend time getting charges each time we want to get them. I know they sell them in the store, but do people actually buy them this way? I know I wouldn’t do it.

Opinions? what’s your take on the issue?

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

I think that unless anet is making big bucks on them in the gemstore they should reconsider the T charges. On a cosmetic based game they inhibit trying out new styles and promote keeping one look for a long time.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

Totally agree with you both. I can’t imagine Anet makes enough money on transmutation charges to warrant such restriction on players changing clothes. If they were making money hand over fist on charges, there’s nothing any of us could say to dissuade them from the current system, but I just don’t see how they could be.

Every other game I’ve played allows clothing changes at will (except FF14 in which it costs in game currency and is one reason I don’t play it anymore), and it really adds fun and interest to playing.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

It probably is something that could be phased out but really why would they? I’m sure someone is still buying them. And if it makes people explore their content then they win anyhow.

Posted by: cyn.2157

cyn.2157

I think the existence of transmutation charges primarily drives bank tab sales – because when people get a free skin item, they store it in their bank. I was just talking with a bunch of guild-mates last night who said that not insignificant portions of their banks are filled with the initial ‘free to apply’ skin they get when a skin is unlocked in some way (fractal, achieve, etc.). We all also agreed that we were just going to start deleting them if we need space.

I personally agree though – getting rid of transmutation charges altogether would be good. As for the skin issue – giving a transmutation charge, or letting you trade skins in for charges, would be a nice QOL improvement.

There’s little drive for ANet to do it, though.

-Fade Nightshade (thief all the way, baby)

Posted by: TEKnowledgy.1760

TEKnowledgy.1760

I think it would be a more creative tyria
Oh and less annoying to.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t think removing transmutation charges would get me to change the skins I use more often than I already do.

When the wardrobe system was introduced I made up a rule that I’d keep at least 24 charges – enough to reskin every bit of equipment on 2 characters – but I usually have between 50 and 100 (and I’ve never bought any) so they’re clearly not restricting me from changing my skins whenever I feel like it.

But I could be wrong. I didn’t think the introduction of the wardrobe would make a big difference to me but I was just thinking of obtaining new skins – I hadn’t factored in the ‘safety net’ of never losing a skin by changing it. (Under the old system if I got an ascended coat, reskinned it and wanted the default ascended look back I’d have to buy a transmutation splitter from the gem store or get a new ascended coat. And if I reskinned something like a Season 1 reward I’d have to remember what it was originally and to hold onto it or risk losing that skin forever.)

Knowing that if I can never lose a skin and if I don’t like my new choice switching back will only cost me 1 charge has made me much more willing to change skins. Maybe it’d be the same with removing charges.

I still don’t think I’d swap them every time I was going to a new map though, because then I’d have to choose new one and re-do all the dyes and it’d take longer than it was worth most of the time.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

This obsolete system is one of the things i think should have changed Anet immediately, but I guess ANet didn’t because in the first years after release they still sold well in the gemstore, because people simply had not billions of them already and came easier into the situation, that they need some…

But now years later, people swim in tons of them and you get them faster just from playing the game normally daily, than you can use them up, that people literally have never the need to buy them …

Theres so many other obsolete things besides of T-Stones that anet should get finally rid of and better replace with something else, thats in general more useful for the player and IN FACT WORTH IT TO BUY, because T-Stones are so stupidly obsolete now, that it gives you the feeling, that you just throw your money away for nothing, if you are really so nuts to give money real money for this crap, if it just takes you a few minutes to make a new character and go explore 1 map to 100% to just get them for free as one of the most simplest methods to get them..rinse and repeat that as oftenly as needed until you hasve your character look like you want….

ANet should change the Skin System of equipment when it comes down to changing your fashion as followed:

Owned Equipment = You have the Item, but its Skin isn’t unlocked yet and the item still can be sold to someone else

Accountbound Equipment = You have the Item, the Item can be shared only between your Characters of your Account, you can’t sel it, the Skin is unlocked for your Account

Categorized Equipment = Accountbound item that has been infused with an Transmutation Stone to unlock the ability for the Skin to become permanently exchangeable.

This means now following, Anet will reduce drastically the amount of Transmutation Stones in the game, positive change is, that from this moment on you also don’t need millions of them anymore just 1 for each single time you want to change a skin.
After the introduction of Categorized Equipment and the ability to infuse accoundbound equipment with Transmutation Stones to unlock the Skin for the permanent changing possibility will make transmutation Stones from this moment on then also alot more VALUABLE.

It would be for this game also a massive quality of life improvement, if the change would change to the model of going from quantity over to actualy QUALITY.
Reducing the amount of Transmutation Stones would be the right way to improve the game and make the Transmutation a Gameplay System, where you need to have the Transmutation per Skin actually just only ONCE to unlock the skin permanently for your usage as often and whenever you want, without being forced to permanently have to use Stones each time again when you want to change your looks of your Character…

If a skin is unlocked for your account, then it should be TRULY unlocked permanently for you account and this mechanic should happen, if you make your accountbound equipment “categorized” by infusing a Transmutation Stone into it to permanently unlock the skin so, that it can be changed as oftenly as you like, without that you need everytime a stone for that idiotic not wel thought out absolute obsolete and truly outdated skin change process that hasnät been optimized yet since release of the game, because Anet still wants to make usage of it as gemstore money maker, when in fact they should have replaced it better already long ago against something, that will work much better as money maker, like for example Mounts, Skill Skins, Auto Attack Effects, Teleportation Effects (for Login/Logout/Move to other Maps) and tons of other visual cool stuff and lots of potential, that Anet is still wasting for 4 years with that they can and will generate much more money, than with such idiotic garbage like T-Stones.
(Just my opinion, thet metrics must Anet just show us first whict proof that this stuff sells well enough to have a solid reason of existance to stay in the gemstore)

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There’s a way to keep charges, introduce a new item to put in the gem store and allow players to change clothes more freely within a subset of options — effectively allowing players to create their own outfits using armor pieces.

1. ANet could create multiple wardrobe slots. Slots after the first would be a gem store item. It might be better to have them be account-wide at a higher price, with the alternative being per character at a lower price.
  2. T. Charges would be used to insert a cosmetic into wardrobe slots.
  3. T. Charges would also be used if a player decided to change the appearance of an item that had already been inserted.
  4. Players could switch wardrobe slots with one click, at no cost.

Pros: Players could switch between preset looks with ease. Making it easier to change looks would make pursuing multiple looks for all characters a more attractive prospect. ANet could end up making more money than they do now.

Cons: Adopting this feature might take significant programming resources (or it might be a relatively simple adaptation of existing systems).

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

MMOs include three types of players as far as skins go:

• Those who almost never care about cosmetics; the wardrobe barely affects them.
  • Those who care somewhat: changing skins maybe once a season or when changing builds; the wardrobe system is great for them and the transmutation system has almost no impact.
  • Those who care a lot. They want to change skins at will, depending on their mood or whether the moon is in Aquarius. For these folks, any system that requires them to pay-per-use is a burden, because there’s almost no way to stock up enough.

(As an aside, none of the three groups seem to be able to communicate their point of view effectively to the other two.)

Then there’s the publisher’s perspective: they have to make money from transactions, since there’s no subscription. That means finding a way to charge the third group as much as they are willing to spend, without driving them to another game. There are two primary ways to get people to open their wallets:

• Charge per use.
  • Create an infinite-use option, at a high enough price to equal the income from a per-use system. A key limit on the price: most people don’t seem willing to pay more than 1000 gems for any single item, including infinite-use convenience gizmos.

Thus the question becomes: is ANet going to make more from the current system? or from offering an infinite-transmutation stone for 1000 gems?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

I’d be willing to buy an infinite use T charge stone for 1000 gems. I really dislike having to restrict the changing of skins to what I “must” have instead of want. Most of my chars don’t get a change of looks for months at a time.

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

Totally agree with you both. I can’t imagine Anet makes enough money on transmutation charges to warrant such restriction on players changing clothes.

Ehrrm, I’m sure you’re right… looks guiltily at recent purchases with 30 packs or TM charges

I’ve said this before and it needs to be said again. Those people that are never happy with their looks constantly change them, and I am one of those people. My 10 characters burn through 100 TM charges in a month, and that is just unfair. Changing outfits and dyes is free, why isn’t transmutation? I’m sure Anets profit from the charges is very marginal.

I would be okay with it if there actually was a reliable way to get those charges, but you get 2 from a full reward track and one here and there whenever you bother to complete a map. One suggestion is making them tradeable, so that those who never change their armour can sell their 500 useless charges to the people that need them. Or if you MUST pay gems from them, either lower the price to 1 gem for 1 charge, or at the very least let us buy a huge pack of 1000 charges for 800 gems.

Posted by: TEKnowledgy.1760

TEKnowledgy.1760

Totally agree with you both. I can’t imagine Anet makes enough money on transmutation charges to warrant such restriction on players changing clothes.

I’ve said this before and it needs to be said again. Those people that are never happy with their looks constantly change them, and I am one of those people.

How can we be happy with only trench coats and male dresses (not arguing you I’m agreeing)

I like changing up alot to not like everyday or every map or every mood as that one guy felt people do but here n there something fresh to look at it.
It gets old wearing the same male dresses. I mean women in this game have more pants to wear then my medium male armored types lol

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Even though I have a lot of transmutation charges right now, I tend to hoard them and not use them because they are a limited resource. I’d like to change my look more often and experiment with different look combinations in actual play and not just the preview mode, but I tend to avoid doing that because I don’t want to waste transmutation charges.

I’d like it if changing the wardrobe was like the dye system so that once you had a skin unlocked for your account, you could reapply it freely.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Or theres a third way like I suggested it..
Drastically reduce the income of T-Stones (must not be just 1 one infinite stone for tones of gems/money) and make therefore their changings of the equipment infinitely, thus giving the player for every individual equipment item more comfort, without forcing the player like it is now the case for every single individual item (skin) to use each single time a T-Stone when you want to change the skin.

My suggestion basically takes the best of all 3 skin type/gemstore people stereotypes and brings them all basically into the golden middle!!

Anet should focus themself rather more on adding useful and worthful items to sell in the gemstore, whicht feel not to the player like wasting money on stuff with buying them, if you can actually get these things also for free ingame with the effort of exploring just a map within some minutes, which is far lesser effort, than earning the gold/real money it costs to buy this garbage from the gemstore.

Theres other stuff, which stands also by far in no good cost relationship for what you get out of these items compared to again the efforts that are needed to earn these things ingame, which are in a complete opposite to how flooded the game is with T-Stones – yes I’m speaking about Black Lion Chest Keys.
I’m dead sure for 100%, that far more people would constantly buy these, if they wouldn’t be way too overexpensive for what you get out of these.

Woudl thy cost for example only half as much like they do now, then I’m pretty sure that the sales of them would rise over the massively increased quantity of key buys, so that anet would make with them far more income, than they will ever make from keeping on sellign these obsolete T-Stones, while people get day per day flodded with free ones from just normally playing the game, while you see gettign a key dropped from normally playing the game maybe eventually just only once every 1 to 2 thousand hours of playtime so rare like they are to get compared to the T-Stones about which you quickly have after like say 1000 hours of playing the game already more of those stones, than you ever will need as a casual player – especially if you quickly have found your style that you will want to keep how your character should look like, without having the interest at to to be the kind of fashionisty, that changes his/her character look like on a daily basis which would be the only type pf person, who would bring something like a single item infinite version of a T-Stone more than my suggested golden middle of an idea, that should make each individual skin for the game per T-Stone infinitely changeable at will with just the goal behind to drasticalyl reduce the need for T-Stones together with their income, so that actually buying them from the gemstore becomes again more meaningful, once the offer of them starts to decrease again, instead o rising only daily because of thousands over thousands of players earnign them each day faster, than they will ever use them up, because there actually also exist no other sink for them, than to use them for changing skins.

Because in fact this would be the only other alternative way out of the problem, if Anet would add in fact more sinks for T-Stones to make them actually more worthful again to the player and to give players more reasons to buy them from the gemstore to get them in vast amounts quicker, than you can get them from normally playing the game to speed up the progress for you to be able to make useage of this new alternative T-Stone sink.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

If I ever ran out of them (100) right now, I’d just delete a character run through the story until I had enough or game complete, no way on earth would I pay for t-stones that goes for keys too because I avoid rng as much as I can.

An infinite T-Stone that I might actually pay money for or an infinite unbreakable key (just for the chests not a key for all chests).

Server: Gate of Madness

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Yup, we need Rift’s wardrobe system. Change skins anytime, anywhere and ANY WEIGHT for free. I have a Mage in Plate and Chain armor skins with a Hammer skin on her Staff. I wish I could do the same in GW2!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I don’t mind them, it’s a lot better than the old system and stones are easy to come by, I’ve got over 400 now just from PvP.

It would be awesome if we could open up light/medium/heavy to all classes though… Could finally make a female battle mage instead of skimpy cloth armor.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I don’t mind them. Or rather, they are no problem for me. I change quite often and I still have atleast over 100.

From OPs suggestion I had a though… keep charges but sell character custom slot. That is another page where you can edit your wardrobe look and use it by clicking use, when you wanna use your first look you click use on your first wardrobe slot and to use outfit slot you do exactly like you usually do and equip your outfit. That way you can easy and “free” change between one and more (depending how many slots you buy) looks.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

how about a Tab instead, Daytime / Night Time / Location and a bunch of self made selections list of looks below them, you could even do it by season or festival too.

Server: Gate of Madness

coso.9173

all the ideas are great actually

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I think that they should substantially reduce the number you get from playing the game, increase the price on the gem store x5, and make them a permanent skin unlock (so that any time you use a transmutation stone, the skin you apply it to can be used an unlimited number of times for free after that, just like the achievement skins).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: goldenhornet.1205

goldenhornet.1205

how about a Tab instead, Daytime / Night Time / Location and a bunch of self made selections list of looks below them, you could even do it by season or festival too.

A bunch of tabs with different looks would be awesome. This is one of the few features I miss from SWTOR.

The outfit designer in SWTOR worked because you could buy multiple tabs (up to 16 tabs using either in-game credits or cartel coins) and then you could easily flick between any look you had created in a tab at any time for no cost.

Popping to Hoth? Cold-weather gear. Stranded on Tatooine? Bikini time! Easy as pie.

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

The OP says he needs trans charges but that they’re easy to get. So go get them and quit complaining. Obviously anet makes money on the people who complain about how ‘easy’ they are to get and how outdated the system is but need them instead of going and getting them themselves. As for me I’ve completed map completion 5 1/2 times and I wvw regularly so i’m sitting on over 170 of them. Hell, if you’re patient anet even gives you three a month.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Currently I am sitting on over 60 or 70 of them. Early in the game you learn to treat them as a rare resource though and it is hard to break that habit. Say I went wild and decided to change the look of the armor on all of my characters … I would only get through 2/3 of them before running out of charges. So it is not like I can change what skins I am wearing every day, at the moment weapons and ‘what was I even thinking’ stuff gets priority.

coso.9173

they’re not hard to get, but it’s long to get them, specially for people who like to change clothes often like me. I would love to hange clothes everyday, like I do on other MMOs.

Nikal.4921

A bunch of tabs with different looks would be awesome. This is one of the few features I miss from SWTOR.

The outfit designer in SWTOR worked because you could buy multiple tabs (up to 16 tabs using either in-game credits or cartel coins) and then you could easily flick between any look you had created in a tab at any time for no cost.

Popping to Hoth? Cold-weather gear. Stranded on Tatooine? Bikini time! Easy as pie.

Same with Rift. You get the first x amount of tabs free and pay per tab after that. It’s been quite some time since I played so I don’t recall the numbers, but you can have maybe a couple dozen tabs or thereabouts. An outfit for every mood. I would love to see that in this game rather than the antiquated system we have now.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I personally have over 400 charges, But I know people who use them all the time, and never have the same look for long. probably for every person who uses very few T charges, there are those who burn through them. I have no problem with having to use them because I have so many, the only people who want to get rid of them, are the people who use them us as soon as they have them.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

I have 1800 TMs. What is the point. Just let people change their wardrobe for free, or give them some other purpose.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

i dont know how could someone not even have enough free TC doesnt matter if you change in a daily basis

it could be impoved insteand of just remove because someone want to change their clothes every hour or every time he enters to a map, besides anet has forgotten this system too that is why too much outfits, not enough good looking armory or variety

they could make it tradeable atleast so the people who has 1k all of the time and doesnt change skins every hour could sell them in the TP or just give it away, a plus addition should be that you could unlock a skin of choice with x ammount of TCs with some restrictions such legendaries and something else

I took an arrow to the knee

coso.9173

I agree that the wardrobe system has been somewhat abandoned for outfits too. I wish they would unify both of them in a way that let us change clothes without needing TC anymore…

Posted by: CeejTheDestroyr.1867

CeejTheDestroyr.1867

If they wanted it to still drive the economy, just make it cost coin. 1 silver to change your shirt.

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

Because I doubt ANet wants to redesign the equipment tab yet again to accommodate a set of “cosmetic” slots.

Posted by: Zeyta.3519

Zeyta.3519

Yes!!! Please get rid of that completely redundant and archaic system. Transmutation Charges are really an embarrassment to this game. It’s too good to have something this ridiculous in it.

Nikal.4921

Because I doubt ANet wants to redesign the equipment tab yet again to accommodate a set of “cosmetic” slots.

So it’s about what ANet wants and not about what the customers want. Message received.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Well we can always go back to the old pre-transmute combination system where you needed to craft two of the same legendary weapon to actually dualwield stuff like knives, if that’s what people want.

Also make them soulbound for good measure.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

The transmutation charges came from an older system of transmutation stones. When the game first came out you had to physically combine two armor pieces together to convert the look. So you would take your stats from one piece of armor and the appearance of the other and fuse them together into a new piece of armor (destroying the two originals).

Trans stones were originally meant to be a big monetized feature of the gem store. The only way to get them otherwise was through map completion which took a long time. Since then they changed it to charges when they added the wardrobe system (which is way better and I don’t think people give anet enough credit for it) and added more ways to get charges via pvp.

So yeah… I dunno how much people even pay for this service with real money anymore. I actually kind of like it costing some sort of resource because it makes my outfit feel more “real” or like each decision to change feels more important. I would feel less attached to my character if it was this free revolving door of infinite armor skins.

coso.9173

opinions I guess, but to me being able to change clothes like I do in real life, depending on the place and hour of the day makes me much more attached to my character.

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

opinions I guess, but to me being able to change clothes like I do in real life, depending on the place and hour of the day makes me much more attached to my character.

Agree with this. I’ve already “paid” for the skins and they are there in my wardrobe. Why should I have to pay to change my clothes into something else I already own?

I sort of understand (not really) the claim of needing the charges for money because people will pay for them (will they…. really?) but to that end, I’d rather have the option to buy an infinite use wardrobe so I don’t have to deal with transmutation charges at all anymore. Though, ideally, reskinning should be free and unlimited as long as you own the skin.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

Posted by: Multigun.9871

Multigun.9871

All the suggestions make sense to some degree. Will Anet actually change it? Probably not. Anet loves their what should be free but isn’t free micro-transactions

1) Map “resources” (keys) that continue to expand while taking up more and more inventory space/bank space. There is 0, absolutely 0 reason these couldn’t be added to the wallet. This is purely meant to force players into buying more bank space or bag space.

2) Transmutation charges as discussed above, no need to add further points to this system.

3) Hair/cosmetic changes. Can’t count the number of MMO’s that offer this extremely basic service while only requiring in-game money, if even that.

I’m probably forgetting several more, but Anet won’t reduce their micro-transaction load. If anything, they will look to expand how they can reach into players wallets all the more. Though I hold out hope they will surprise me otherwise.

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

I bought 25 back when my first toon hit 80. I now see that was pointless. I just wait for the daily awards, and map completion. I do agree they should be removed entirely.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Lol I’m always the one with the unpopular opinion…

Posted by: JackOfAllGames.2409

JackOfAllGames.2409

Hmm. I never really thought to question ANet on transmutation charges. Considering that they make the game free month-to-month, I’m more than happy to make concessions like these. I came in with the understanding that cosmetic changes (and to an extent, some ease-of-life things) would cost money.

The way ANet has structured things, I have:
1. Chosen to purchase some outfits. While leveling, if I care about appearance, I use these.
2. Chosen not to experiment with character appearance until I have max-level exotic gear. This saves on A LOT of charges. Once exotics are earned/bought, gear changes shouldn’t happen TOO often.
3. Experimented with gear and dyes as a whole before spending any charges. Such experimentation is free. I don’t spend the first charge until I know what I want for the whole set.
4. Chosen not to change my character TOO often. I’ll experiment every once in a while if I’m using a character a lot…but generally choose to work toward a specific appearance and stick with it.
5. Spent a fair amount of gold in the game on dyes. Dyes have infinite uses. If I do feel like a change, I’ll usually experiment with colors first.
6. Purchased a number of Black Lion chest keys. Normally for chances at weapon skin tickets (or other really nice stuff). In the process, I incidentally get some number of extra charges.
7. Actively attempted to complete map areas as I play the game. I’ll often get more charges (or rarely, a Black Lion chest key) for free.
8. …always had a tendency to make a lot of characters. This setup kind of encourages it…so I lean into it. More characters means more chances at map completion freebies, to find a new character look (rather than changing an existing character), a new way of playing a class, etc. This both slows down my consumption of transmutation charges and increases my rate of gaining them. It’s also lead me to make the occasional character slot purchase.

I don’t know. I guess I’m just not inclined to complain. None of this affects gameplay. There are many opportunities to enjoy the feature for free (I’ve never intentionally purchased charges and have 70+ at the moment). I might be inclined to agree and be annoyed about the limitation…if the game had monthly fees, didn’t offer all these free updates, didn’t offer an in-game way to earn these charges, etc. On the balance, I feel that I’m getting plenty from ANet and this is a completely fair system. I just adjust my gaming and purchasing habits to accommodate. =/

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

OR….or… Go PvP :P I am up to like 120 charges when I was around 15 or so left

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Posted by: Airyll.7849

Airyll.7849

I am only joining this thread to say that if they released an infinite Transmute Charge of some kind, I would buy that and it would never leave one of my shared bag slots ever.

Pls ANet.

I can get transmute charges for free easily enough, it’s not a problem to do. I just enjoy the idea of convenience of never needing to care about whether I have any or where I’ve put them in my current catastrophe of a bank. An infinite one would be marvellous.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

If you play just a bit of PvP you get TONS of transmutation charges

I would love an option in gemshop for unlimited transmutation charges upgrade though
(would even easily pay up to 5000 gems for this)

Just making all transmutation charges unnecessary is kind of a kick to the face for people who bought them in the gemshop or worked for them in PvP
I really think in infinite upgrade from the gemshop would be a good solution
As Anet still gets their profit but people who like to change their looks a A LOT can get a better option to do so in the long run

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: hurp.9851

hurp.9851

Agree, do away with Transmutation Charges.

Like everyone else upthread has said, sure, they’re not exactly hard to get, but still. The system is fatiguing. It’s a pain. It’s not fun. When I earn or buy t-charges, I don’t ever feel “That’s a rewarding investment of my time/good value.” I say, “That was a pain I really wish I didn’t have to worry about it.”

Player-configurable outfit slots are a no-brainer. Do that. Give us 3 for free (earned through story progression, maybe) and charge us 400 gems each for up to 7 more.

(edited by hurp.9851)

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

Let me tell you about a problem I’m having just now. As I said before, I like to tune my looks alot, naturally sometimes via trial and error. I had 2 TM charges left, and a particular set of legs + plate looked good on preview. So I decided what the heck and transmutated them. As soon as I do that, I realize the outcome is not as good as in the preview, and I’m not happy at all. I want to change back. My options now are:

-Buy TM charges with gems. Used all my gems yesterday, no money to spend now.

-Convert gold to gems. That’s ~36 gold for 5 TM charges. An absurd price just to change your looks. I’m saving up for something, can’t afford this option.

-Do map completion. Spending 1-2 hours completing a large zone with a CHANCE of getting a TM charge. And doing this twice, or as many times as it takes to get the 2 charges. A little too much work for changing your shirt and pants maybe?

-Get them from a reward track. Time to pop my boosters and have a 6-hour WvW session to complete a reward track! Come on :-(

Anet, I love your game. I love the customization, dyes, outfit system. But I absolutely can’t understand why transmuting can’t be free, or at least made a little easier. I’ve probably spent 100€ on these stupid charges and it’s getting annoying. Just let us buy a permanent stone PLEASE.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Let me tell you about a problem I’m having just now. As I said before, I like to tune my looks alot, naturally sometimes via trial and error. I had 2 TM charges left, and a particular set of legs + plate looked good on preview. So I decided what the heck and transmutated them. As soon as I do that, I realize the outcome is not as good as in the preview, and I’m not happy at all. I want to change back. My options now are:

-Buy TM charges with gems. Used all my gems yesterday, no money to spend now.

-Convert gold to gems. That’s ~36 gold for 5 TM charges. An absurd price just to change your looks. I’m saving up for something, can’t afford this option.

-Do map completion. Spending 1-2 hours completing a large zone with a CHANCE of getting a TM charge. And doing this twice, or as many times as it takes to get the 2 charges. A little too much work for changing your shirt and pants maybe?

-Get them from a reward track. Time to pop my boosters and have a 6-hour WvW session to complete a reward track! Come on :-(

Anet, I love your game. I love the customization, dyes, outfit system. But I absolutely can’t understand why transmuting can’t be free, or at least made a little easier. I’ve probably spent 100€ on these stupid charges and it’s getting annoying. Just let us buy a permanent stone PLEASE.

you can get them like 20x faster from PvP during Season

When i have to guess the Top Leaderboard guys probably got around 1200-1400 Transmutation Charges JUST from the last Season
(because you get them from reward track + a lot more from ranked rewards progress)

But yeh… Anet has nothing to lose when offering and infinite Transmutation Upgrade at a reasonable high enough but not too high price

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Sojourner.4621

Sojourner.4621

While I would love to have the ability to transmute all of my equipment without charges, a) they are currently on a three quarter all time record low in profits according to NC-Softs 4Q 2016 report. This makes it unlikely that they are going to eliminate anything that makes them money, even something small like that.
b) It is REALLY not difficult to earn charges. Maybe you don’t like the methods outlined above, but at the same time it takes a few hours to earn dozens. If it’s for “appearance change” purposes on the fly as stated by the OP, as an RPer I keep a number of individual pieces of armor with different appearances already transmuted on to them in my extra invisibags.