about future armor and outfits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

Can we honestly stop with the massive gender differences in clothes? I mean I understand adding a bra for females if the male version goes barechested, but not anywhere near the point we have now.
Outfits and armor should look pretty much the same for both genders, for example ESO does it that way, you can even wear a white wedding dress as an orc if you want.
These limits only have downsides. it limits players to what they want to wear, and it means MORE work for arenanet, since every outfit or armor requires 2 versions, guy and girl version. which in return means we get armor and outfits only half as often as we could if we had unisex clothing.
I know many of you will think that males would look ridicuouls with female clothes, and it’s true. but it’s not as we can’t have ridiculous characters now, even more considering some f the legendaries too.
like I mentioned in ESO, even though there are lots of female outfits to choose from, we hardly see them much in male players, mostly those that actually look good on both genders. So it’s not like everyone and their mum will start dressing their norns with short pink skirts (which they can already do now btw)

Also, please. more armor variety! we’re sick of having to post this all the time but you guys still don’t seem to get the memo.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

As long as the result isn’t to just make all armor cover everything up. I want my skimpy armor/outfits. There should be options for both those who like skimpy and those who want a more covered look. Medium armor in particular is terrible when it comes to skimpy armors. Please Anet, more skimpy medium and heavy armors please.

coso.9173

of course, we should have choices for everyone, but for now, males have little choice in amount of skin shown. specially for medium armor.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Make an Asura?

I wish there were different armor for the two genders.

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

I understand where your coming from… but the end result would not be what you’re wanting… the end result would be that ANet would stop making female armors all together and just make Male armors for everyone… It’s bad enough that Asura and Charr have no female armors… but now your asking for there to never be a female armor variant ever again.

Personally I just want to see all existing female armor variants made available to Asura and Charr…

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

xarallei.4279

That’s exactly why I’m wary of the idea. I think Anet’s answer would just be to make everything full coverage, which is exactly what I don’t want. I want skimpy armors! And yes, I want skimpy armors for my male characters too. Skimpy armors for everyone! Medium has tons of full cover options, it definitely needs some more skin showing options for both genders.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

In fairness, we’re lucky to get any armour sets at all. As Panda said, removing the differences will simply mean that most sets are designed to be traditionally masculine looking, with full coverage. Most players can accept dowdy looking females more readily than effeminate males. There aren’t many ways to reveal male skin while still appealing to mainstream tastes.

What do you lot think about the armour sets that have been teased so far?

Attachments:

coso.9173

why would make unisex armor mean no more female armor? still using the ESO example, there are lots of female oriented outfits for example. that is in your head.

xarallei.4279

I’m not happy with those two sets. But I’m hoping those are just two of many. Like I said, it’s fine to offer both full cover and skimpy options.

This would be the perfect opportunity to introduce Dervish and Paragon inspired sets. That one sunspear outfit is paragon-like, but I would definitely like to see more.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Dervish_Elite_Sunspear_armor_f.jpg
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Dervish_Elonian_armor_f.jpg

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Paragon_Ancient_armor_f.jpg

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

why would make unisex armor mean no more female armor? still using the ESO example, there are lots of female oriented outfits for example. that is in your head.

Two completely different companies with two completely different design philosophies…. ArenaNet has shown already that their idea of “unisex” is “just make females wear male armor” simply take a look at the entirety of the Charr and Asura armor lists…. and the few armors we have that are “unisex” were designed around the male frame then simply scaled to the female frame… additionally the vast majority of the armors in ESO are very masculine still.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

This is by far the best game for similarities. Some vary a bit, but they do really well

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

These limits only have downsides. it limits players to what they want to wear, and it means MORE work for arenanet, since every outfit or armor requires 2 versions, guy and girl version. which in return means we get armor and outfits only half as often as we could if we had unisex clothing.

They still need to shape the armor to fit the different physiques. Making a wedding dress so that it can fit on a male human body is not significantly less work than making a wedding tuxedo. They basically have a system in place to help them convert human male armors into male Sylvari, Norn, and both male and female Charr and Asura bodies, but they don’t have one to convert clothing from male to female humanoids or vice-versa.

I wouldn’t mind seeing more outfits that look the same from male to female, but “saves time” is not entirely accurate.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

coso.9173

making a complete new design for another gender is of course much more work than simply fitting en existing one to another shape.
And this topic is a petition for them to CHANGE their views on the topic, so even if untill now the only unisex stuff we have is male oriented, what we want is them to realize their mistake and change that.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I’m not happy with those two sets. But I’m hoping those are just two of many. Like I said, it’s fine to offer both full cover and skimpy options.

This would be the perfect opportunity to introduce Dervish and Paragon inspired sets. That one sunspear outfit is paragon-like, but I would definitely like to see more.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Dervish_Elite_Sunspear_armor_f.jpg
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Dervish_Elonian_armor_f.jpg

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Paragon_Ancient_armor_f.jpg

God, yes. Dervish armour has always been one of my favourites. The set on the left is quite close to it, imo. And very traditionally Elonian. The other seems to be inspired by Balthazar’s minions and I’m not much feeling it either, but I’m certain some of the pieces can be combined with older sets to create something amazing.

That’s always been the beauty of armour skins: Even the mankiest looking sets will have at least one great piece.

As for gender differences I have a very unpopular opinion in that I actually prefer when there’s a significant difference. The Phalanx heavy armour is a perfect example of this. It’s like getting two different sets for the price of one.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

making a complete new design for another gender is of course much more work than simply fitting en existing one to another shape.

Again, not by a huge amount. The shape and texturing of armors designed to fit feminine contours has to be entirely different than ones designed to fit masculine contours. Yes, they would have to do less time on concept art, to a point, but the actual production of the armor, the modeling and texturing of it, would be about the same whether they are unique designs or a shared design, assuming an equivalent level of complexity.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”