/age of account without a precursor drop

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valento’s obvious comment was the state of precursors in the game as it stands. Some people get lucky, others get nothing no matter how much they play. People afk’ing get nothing, that’s a given.

The spirit of this thread (I’m guessing) is under the general presumption of people responding that have played the game “normally”, ie. minimal afk, farming, dungeon running, WvW, etc. Granted that the numbers are next to useless, it’s to be treated as little more than a guide to how people get absurdly lucky with precursors and most others get nothing but a swift RNG kick in the pants.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

never dropped for me, never really cared.
why are ppl so obsessed on a mystical drop when just playing the game not paying attention is much more enjoyable, i might have a drop at one point and still not care.

oh and i don’t call farming playing “normally”, that’s playing specifically to get loot.

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

3k hours, (not afk) 0 drops, 0 in forge. I also spent ~200-300g on forging with nothing to show for it. Eventually gave up and just bought dusk for 880g 20s and 1c. (Farmed gold, not credit card bought gold).

On a side note for those saying just work and buy it with real money: I have a job, I’m not hourly, so there is no such thing as overtime. And sure I can buy one for a single day’s worth of work, but in doing that you just encourage Anet to keep the RNG system like it is since they profit from it. I refuse to support the awful system with real money.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

(edited by eleshazar.6902)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

These people exceeding 10 hours + a day

Have you considered getting a job? you probably spend A LOT less hours doing piece of kitten work (like farming a precursor in gw2), convert money to gold and buy one instead.

Have you considered that people might be afk? for alot of that time?

In that case the numbers they give are useless. “200 hours playing, 6000 hrs afk and still no drop. RNG is messed up.”

Well I’m not one of ‘those’ people. When I play guild wars I play guild wars. Granted I have been afk a few times, but never longer than several minutes.

I never get why some people afk for hours at the time.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Pipra.7580

Pipra.7580

Do the number of days tell us anything relevant?

No. Nothing at all. Unless those hours are specifically being spent on activities which have a chance at returning a precursor, it’s a meaningless metric.

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

3K hours, 13K AP, no precursors, no ascended boxes…
My account must be flagged “will never drop anything of value” by Anet’s RNG algorithm…
Meanwhile every guys and their mom of my friendlist linked me at least 1 precursor or their multiple ascended drops…

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Well, there are 2 mommies in my guild, each have dropped 1 precursor at least! Yay for mommies!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: SlaYer.2138

SlaYer.2138

3995 hours, 632 days, 0 precursor, sad but good to know I’m not the only one

Posted by: Shorinji.7810

Shorinji.7810

I have 4795 hours over 1058 days and no pre … sigh a freind got 3 within his 1st 2 years and played a littl less than I have

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

3095 hours no prec dropped

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

4K+ hrs. 1 precursor for an aquatic weapon, so really zero precursors. (The weapon sold for 27g btw)

I have 23 max level characters and never have had an OMG moment in terms of loot.

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

800 days, no drop but the new crafting tracks are slowly happening.

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I get one precursor drop about every 6000 hours if that helps you guys. lol

Posted by: Xirus.9675

Xirus.9675

2148 hours, 3 years and 333 days, no drop.

Any sufficiently advanced science and/or technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’d guess? about 1000-3000 (could be 4000) hours since my last precursor drop? I’m afraid I didn’t mark the date.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Necro-posted thread is old. But for the record, 16,234 hours, and still no precursor drop. I’m still not complaining.

Attachments:

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

(edited by penelopehannibal.8947)

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

4,432 Hrs, 1387 days. No AFK play—just broken RNG. It doesn’t matter if true or not—If member(s) believe so—the game loses out.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The number of hours is meaningless. I know someone who routinely parks his toon in a safe spot when he goes to dinner or sleep, so his accumulated hours include a huge percentage of time spent with 0% chance of precursors. I know someone else who loves leveling toons (don’t ask — I don’t understand it); accordingly, a huge fraction of his time is spent on non-precursor-generating activities.

I also know a player who has spent a lot of hours in L80 zones farming high-kill-count events — that’s something that is indeed much more likely to result in precursors. And they haven’t seen one drop. All the same, that player has gotten plenty of other rare drops which, combined, have better value than the precursor drops of several people put together. (For example, a better fraction of BL keys from maps and a better fraction of useful drops from those keys.)

Finally, there’s a lot of data published by people who do industrial production of precursors (short story: there’s profit in the long run, if you’re willing to risk being down 1000s of gold at any given time). Among this data are people who have gotten 3 precursors within a few dozen tries and gone nearly 2,000 tries without one.

tl;dr when the drop rate is astronomically low, it’s not surprising to find lots of people who haven’t gotten a precursor drop for them, in the forge or from kills. It might be heartening to share stories of grief, but it doesn’t mean much other than: yeah, the drop rate is really, really low. (Actually, it’s quite a bit lower than that.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

3132 hours, 1411 days.

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

Only 1400 hours or so. Brought my friend into the game for a week post-HoT before he had to leave due to work/real life, he got The Legend from the toilet in under 15 forges.

One foot out the door, yet again.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

These posts are absolutely meaningless. There isn’t even any context player a can have 3k hrs of crazy farming 90% of the time where precursors drop. While player b has the same 3k hours but spends his time afk in town and 10% farming. Then how would you even verify all those hours spent doing x?

Posted by: Darigen.2309

Darigen.2309

I don’t get why ppl. would revive such a thread (died 2 years ago). It was meaningless when it was started, because RNG is how it is and nowadays you can even craft your pre, if you don’t want to buy it from the trading post.

I could post my over 7700h with “only” a sudden “[Dawn]” out of the MF and it would be still meaningless. I droped every rare weapon into the mystic toilet since I was lvl 80 with my first char. Does it tell that my RNG is bad? No. It just tells that RNG is RNG. Nothing more, but also nothing less.

Don’t forget: If the drop chance would become better somehow, then the price level would drop too and everyone who would get a drop after that would cry: “Now that I finally got my pre drop, it isn’t that much worth anymore!”

The drop chances are fine as they are now. The price development of pres is stable and that is all that is really necessary for the game and the economy of the game.

Don’t just watch at the small picture of your personal pockets when complaining about drop distribution and chances. There is an entire ingame economy behind that which affects all of us and that needs to stay as stable as possible. Sometimes “balance” isn’t just about individual people. Far more often than not it is about the whole picture where everyone is a part of.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

got one from the mystic forge at about 1300 hrs

gotta agree tho its really how you spend your time not how much time you spend
there are plenty of things you could be spending time on that will up your time spent but not even give a chance for a precursor

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Silas Eorth.7348

Silas Eorth.7348

I don’t get why ppl. would revive such a thread (died 2 years ago).

lol, you’re right. I was reading all the /ages on the first page and I was laughing at how “cute” it was all the appx. 1-year olds like myself who didn’t get a pre. I never noticed how long ago it was.

I’m not sure if the mods will allow this thread to go on necro’ed… but to be on the safe side, I just might start a new thread that’s more relevant to the current game state. I’d be more interested to reference this old thread (if it violates the necro rule) and get the current stats and stories from any of those gamers who are still around (as well as us more “recent” citizens of Tyria).

edit: typos and such

(edited by Silas Eorth.7348)

Posted by: Cirian.8917

Cirian.8917

I was at something outrageous like 12,000 hours when my first precursor dropped, but a lot of that time is afk so… still 3 years or so before I saw one come out of a grand chest in Tarir.

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

5000+ hours in dungeons, fractals and PvP. 1/3 of which must be afk time. Stopped caring about precursor drops a long time ago.

Posted by: Ryouzanpaku.1273

Ryouzanpaku.1273

Precursor drop is chimera.
Playing (on and off) from day 1.
Never seen it drop.
Do not play toilet games.
Bought 3 precursors, did quest for 4th.

Player plays the game. MetaKitten plays the DPS meter on the golem.

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

4450+, zero from drop, Spark and Tooth of Frostfang from MF.

Posted by: Noctifera.3746

Noctifera.3746

11 K hours no drop from mob or mf made bifrost with collection

Posted by: Sotha.1283

Sotha.1283

over 3k hours / 1300 days

Selene Dren

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

3,263 hours over 1,412 days.

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

3535 h over the last 1369 days

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I don’t even want to look. Thousands of hours, no drops, no mystic toilet love either.

SBI

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

2700+ hours, dunno how many days (at work right now and can’t check), 12500+ points…and finally, finally got an ascended chest: Beigarth’s Armor Chest. That’s it. Never got a precursor.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I got 3 in the same week, 2 by forge while building Juggernaut and 1 drop from a YB zergling at Briar… That was nearly 5000 hours ago tho.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: sirsquishy.2619

sirsquishy.2619

3,495hours over 1,412 days 0 precursor drops.

Attachments:

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

5050hrs, 1412 days and so far Dawn, Dusk,The Legend and Chaos gun.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

You must have passed over the word ‘without’ (or you don’t give two kittens).

SBI

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

8,085 hrs I’m starting to suspect that my many critical comments of Guild Wars 2 earned me a spot on a secret blacklist. Upon release many threads comparing GW2 to GW1 had a habit of disappearing.

While easy to implement I see no better way to alienate a portion of a player base than using RNG. It has for me.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

8973 hours, no pre drops (I don’t forge toss though).

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

You must have passed over the word ‘without’ (or you don’t give two kittens).

Yes, we mustn’t allow any satisfaction to contaminate this echo chamber of despair.

Apparently I posted in this thread two years ago, and I feel the same now as I did then:

Do the number of days tell us anything relevant?

(I don’t have a strong opinion about precursor drop rates; I’m just interested in the way information is presented as a rhetorical matter.)

I suppose we can calculate, on average, how many hours a day each poster plays, but most of what I’m getting from this thread is “RNG stinks.” Which it does.

How much wealth have each of you raised over that time, including gold-convertible assets? (If I craft ascended armor, for example, my current gold total is going to be substantially lower than my overall wealth once I factor in things I’ve spent that gold on.)

Of course, now that we have precursor scavenger hunts, we can’t just blame it on RNG. Go out and craft the dang precursor.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: dbill.7483

dbill.7483

6,356 hours played over the past 1,412 days with ZERO precursors dropped.

However, I’ve just finished making my 14th Legendary weapon so I don’t think I’m too concerned about a free precursor at this point in the game.

FYI, for what it’s worth I’m 57 years old and have never won a single Lotto jackpot either. I wonder why folks think time spent doing something increases their odds of winning at a random event.

Tootsie Popa | level 80 Guardian/Dragonhunter
[ODIN] [roam] Tarnished Coast
“The average player believes they are better than the average player”.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

People don’t read the title, it clearly says “age of account WITHOUT a precursor drop”.

Some people can’t help bragging. But in one case they had over 5k hours before drop so I think that counts.

I have only 1790 hours over 1,366 days so I guess I’m not complaining compared to many others

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Djinn.9245

However, I’ve just finished making my 14th Legendary weapon so I don’t think I’m too concerned about a free precursor at this point in the game.

FYI, for what it’s worth I’m 57 years old and have never won a single Lotto jackpot either. I wonder why folks think time spent doing something increases their odds of winning at a random event.

I think that many people, including myself, find it irritating that most MMOs have this type of RNG system. Its not that it takes a lot of time to get something that should be rare, its that some people can get this “rare” item after a very short time while people who have played a long time, and even sometimes spent a lot of RL money, can go years without getting the rare item.

Yes, we know that’s how the game was set up, but it doesn’t seem fair.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: deejayberzerker.1940

deejayberzerker.1940

9200+ hours 0 precursor drops, 10 legends

penelopehannibal.8947

I think that many people, including myself, find it irritating that most MMOs have this type of RNG system. Its not that it takes a lot of time to get something that should be rare, its that some people can get this “rare” item after a very short time while people who have played a long time, and even sometimes spent a lot of RL money, can go years without getting the rare item.

I’ve also found the people who complain the most about not getting a precursor drop (or RNG in general) are the ones that only have around 2K – 5K hours. Most people above that, especially the ones that have 10K+ hours are the ones that actually don’t care about not getting a drop.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

3,249 hours since head start

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Djinn.9245

I’ve also found the people who complain the most about not getting a precursor drop (or RNG in general) are the ones that only have around 2K – 5K hours. Most people above that, especially the ones that have 10K+ hours are the ones that actually don’t care about not getting a drop.

Not really sure what this has to do with not liking the RNG. I also wonder whether if you have gone 10K+ hours without a precursor you haven’t just given up at that point.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

4439 hours / 1378 days

1 precursor drop in SW 2 months ago – The Legend

(Is there any way to get information how many precursors I got in the mystic forge in past 3,4 years? I think got ~ 35-40)

penelopehannibal.8947

Not really sure what this has to do with not liking the RNG. I also wonder whether if you have gone 10K+ hours without a precursor you haven’t just given up at that point.

Just adding my observation to it – Almost every /age and precursor drop post is done by someone saying they have less than 5K hours, meaning it’s usually people with less hours not liking RNG.

I’ve not given up because I never expected to get one in the first place, since the chances are that low.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]