all i can do is /sigh these days at ANet

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Odeezee.7362

Odeezee.7362

it’s like the devs are deliberately trying to tank their own game. they let bugs fester, they don’t give a good chunk people what they actually want, they implement/execute features rather poorly in most cases or shortsightedly and they are ALWAYS seem to misinterpret feedback and data and apply some skewed logic to it.

someone recently asked if i could be a newbie right now, would i want to play this game. the answer i would give to that question is a resounding “No!”. for people who would say well you are biased because you have a different frame of reference having played GW2 from BWEs, that might be true but i am a veteran gamer and if i were to jump into a new game the ONLY source i would trust is NOT that of the devs (they are here to sell the game to make money after all) but that of players themselves and if i did that for this game, yeah i would completely skip it now as a newbie.

ANet seem to have lost a great deal of goodwill capital (capital that can be used by devs when they fail to implement a proposed feature or have to delay or change other anticipated ones) at least from me. the current team does not feel like it’s the same team that developed the game; i no longer feel the passion and heart in the work they put out and while there maybe a few gems strewn about, they are far too few and occur so infrequently that it is sometimes even hard to notice that they are even there among all the other “meh” content and features.

i have been thinking about how ANet can foster more goodwill from the playerbase and instill greater confidence in developing this game (because from my own perspective it’s as though they have bitten off more they can chew and are now struggling to find a coherent sense of direction and purpose) and one great way is just by starting with basic things like fixing the kittening bugs that exist in the game. now people may say cut ANet some slack, bugs take a while to identify, replicate and then squash and to them i say that is utter bullkitten. ANet this past year has shown that they are willing to under-take huge sweeping gameplay flow/enjoyment altering changes if they deem it necessary like the awful kittening trait revamp and the NPE (these are two great examples of ANet’s misinterpretation of feedback and also their poor implementation and execution). ANet is a company i thought prided itself on attention to detail and would scrap anything that was not up to their standards and start again from scratch if need be to make it perfect, but we still have bugs in the game from release, condis in PvE are still capped and inferior to direct damage and Necros are still bottom tier in all PvE scenarios. /sigh

another thing they can start doing which i thought they were going to do is start talking to us more like people and not treating us like children. i read some of the dev comments and the amount of condescension in the tone is mind-blowing; ANet the vitriol and bile being spewed towards you is WELL earned and it is a result of poor decision making, poor and often times slow gameplay/feature implementation/execution and a shortsighted and naive company policy that turns gamers into the enemy meant to be dealt with rather than collaborators and companions that an MMO REQUIRES not only to live, but to thrive. where is the ANet from pre-launch that was eager to talk with us about the current state of content and features, whether they made it into the final release or not at least we heard about it first (usually) which made us feel like we were not only part of the process, but also afforded ANet A LOT of goodwill from the players as we could understand the reasons why certain things were not in, changed or postponed. /sigh

the next thing that i feel ANet will have to change which i think is much harder for them to implement is a change in culture where actually figuring out what players want trumps data analytics. i mean look at the fiasco with the gem/gold conversion and hey as a player i realize ANet is made up of people and they make mistakes but what left a really bad taste in my mouth and made never want to spend another dime of actual money in the gem store was their reaction to the situation. not only did ANet let the issue fester and develop into a crisis they also DID NOT take any action to rectify the situation until AFTER online news outlets picked up the story of how the veteran GW2 players were unhappy with the change. why should it take a crisis to effect change in the devs? the commander tags is another example of misinterpretation of feedback, poor implementation and subsequently required a crisis to bring about change. /sigh

Odeezee.7362

maybe it’s because i am re-watching LotR and i see the potential that ANet had with GW2 that i feel was wasted like the maps being too small and not big/grand enough (maps are beautiful but highly efficient as there are no vast areas without hostile mobs and no grand statues like were in the concept art – i am looking at you EbonHawk), no systems that are integrated like why can’t the Mystic Toilet use a similar system to the discovery panel for crafting, or why can’t we queue for activities and be grouped with our friends, or why can we not queue to join a PvE map that our friends are on like in WvW and why are there only combat features added to the game (why can’t we have fishing or farming or proposed city activities), why are the rewards so ill-balanced (all we do is salvage stuff when we open bags), why are there no large bosses that move around and devastate a large portion of the maps? the game world is constructed in such a way that after the initial honeymoon period/new game smell subsides we see that our characters do not actually live immersed in the world and as players we are little more than hired guns, basically mercenaries who go into the foreign land of Tyria kill some mobs/players and then leave. /sigh

people are hoping that ANet will announce an expansion in 2015, i for one doubt that and for two even if it is true, so what? unless there is a fundamental change in culture at ANet we will be right back here complaining about the game again 3 months after it’s out. if they still implement features slowly, if they still let bugs fester, if they still do not relay their intentions for planned features/content and the progress of the development of these features/content then all an expansion will do is give ANet a little respite from the vitriol of the playerbase for a few months and an advertising platform.

there have been many useful and fact/data backed threads on these boards stating many great suggestions and alerting ANet of issue and solutions. this thread is not one of those as the issue i feel is much less logical and one that is more psychological; seeing a red post now makes me think i wonder in how many words they are going to be condescending, dismissive, naive, ignorant of their own game, completely misunderstand the issue at hand and say absolutely NOTHING at all and that is such a shame because instead of fighting mobs or players in game i feel like i am fighting the very people who gave me some of the best gaming moments of my life, just to try and recapture that feeling, enjoyment and sense of wonder with the game they are hell bent on kittenizing. i get it ANet this is your game, over this past year you have gone out of your way to make this game feel less like a game we share and more of a game that you create and i can either accept it or i am sol even if you are doing the exact opposite of what you said you would do for the game, i just hope that at the end what you end up with is truly what you want and not some horrific Frankenstein of a monster you lose control of. /sigh

ANet, many of us now “concerned” used to once be deeply enamored with this game and are just tired of our once beloved unique gem of a game slowly turning into the one thing we were running away from, the antithesis of what we hoped to find when coming here; the standard MMO.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Keep living in your tiny world inside your mind. The game is doing fine, the devs actively take feedback from the players, and hundreds of thousands of people log into this game every day. You just refuse to see all that because it makes you feel good to speak out against perceived injustice.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Is this going to turn into a mount thread?

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Nice run on wall of text.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

Hehe, I’ve said long time ago that it feels like someone on the team is paid by Blizzard to tank GW2.

Posted by: Piratoz.8627

Piratoz.8627

Keep living in your tiny world inside your mind. The game is doing fine, the devs actively take feedback from the players, and hundreds of thousands of people log into this game every day. You just refuse to see all that because it makes you feel good to speak out against perceived injustice.

The game’s doing fine boys! Devs are actively taking feedback from players and are implementing things like NPE and locking traits! Everyone I talk to loves these features and just couldn’t wait for them to come out! I can’t wait to do stuff I have already done 10 times to get a trait that I should have had by default! This game was sooo hard to play so I’m so glad that instead of releasing more actual new content or skills, Anet decided to implement features such as locking basic things like asura gates, trading/banking, and traits until I’m a higher level! And I’m impressed by the “hundreds of thousands” of players I see daily! Before the megaserver improvement all those zones were sooo crowded! Anet definitely releases player metrics for all to see to showcase just how successful GW2 is! All those forum users complaining about the game must be wrong so instead of giving a reasonable argument, I’ll just insult their intelligence and personal character instead of actually talking about the topic at hand! (sarcasm)

(edited by Piratoz.8627)

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Without addressing the points raised in this post, I’d like to address the shape of the post itself: A big ol’ wall of text.

Why do people write like this? The longer and more rambling a paragraph is, the more difficult it is for anyone (other posters or even developers) to address anything it raises, because the only comprehensive-yet-comprehensible way to address points raised in this way is to work up a bulleted list and go through it one at a time, which is impractically time consuming.

I tried to read / skimmed the OP, and all I can really get out of it is “This thread is about how Odeezee is unhappy and doesn’t think Anet cares about players.” It seems to request everything from UI changes to vast expanses of land without mobs to bosses that devastate the landscape.

There’s no way to address all that in a single thread, so why not pick out the individual points and make threads about them, or add them to existing threads on the relevant topics? That way, you create or contribute to a discussion, instead of just ranting without focus.

I hate to nitpick grammar, but as long as I’m whining about wall-of-text posts, I might as well dive all the way in: When you don’t capitalize letters at the start of sentences, it makes everything you’ve written needlessly more difficult to read. It really does.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

I agree with the OP 100%, Anet needs to take a step back, pull there heads out of the corporate machine, and listen to thier customer base.
The Developers are not wearing any clothes. and they need to listen to those of us shouting and cover themselves. 10 people saying ‘Fix the bugs’ and 1 person saying " everything is glamorous"… you really ought to listen to the people saying what you don’t want to hear. Fix the bugs.
Fix the dead zones in PVE where no one bothers to go, make the game a living breathing world in reality. not because you say so. MAKE stuff move around. Im tired of chopping down trees that have names like Jungle Wurm, and Tequatl, and Shadow Behemoth.

Posted by: Seraphina.6859

Seraphina.6859

Odeezee

I just wanted you to know you have spoken from my heart. Thank you for your post.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Maybe I’m too optimistic, but I think most veterans would play GW2 again if they were new. It’s not the changes that are happening that are disappointing, but the changes that aren’t happening. So many things that people want…and the only things that are changed are somewhat trivial. Every veteran is going to tired of a MMO that’s going to progress like a single-player game.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I saw he noticed Lotro … so maybe .. cause in that game you spent more time
watching you ride a horse than actually playing the game ^^

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Amroth.2170

Amroth.2170

I wonder if they’ll focus on the NA and EU market again? The writing was on the wall that they were gearing this game up for the China release and targeting a new demo of players. All the financial statements seem to indicate a failure in China and the game retrenching their position for 2015. Hopefully that means we see some meaningful improvements, but I somehow doubt it. I remember reading that people spend the most money on the gem store during the period right after they start playing the game. Maybe we’re seeing a move to grab and retain players in the short-term to boost gem sales, and high-turnover of players is an expected consequence. That would fit with some of their actions like making leveling and traiting a character more onerous, for instance, and railroading content like dailies, while ignoring end game content and features usually intended to maintain long-term players.

Posted by: Piratoz.8627

Piratoz.8627

OP, You raise a lot of good points. I feel like Anet has their priorities completely wrong.

(edited by Piratoz.8627)

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

I have it on good authority that all Devs RP as lvl5 Asura mesmers. That’s why they aren’t bothered by the trait system.

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.

Odeezee.7362

do you have any sources to backup this data you speak of? quarter after quarter the ANet revenue stream has declined (source check any of the NCSoft earnings calls since the release of GW2). the only player concurrency that they have ever released was from the month of release back in 2012 when it was ~500k and never since then, so for you to know that hundreds of thousands of players still log in every day is very fanciful thinking. and no i do not refuse to see anything, i want this game to do well but i want that sentiment to be based on reality and not a fantasy. thanks for the reply though

Odeezee.7362

while mounts would be a great addition to the game, the game has waypoints and unless they expand the games current map sizes mounts will be redundant (unless they are purely cosmetic) and ineffectual as the game maps are already cramped as it is. so don’t worry i won’t turn this into a mount thread

Odeezee.7362

Without addressing the points raised in this post, I’d like to address the shape of the post itself: A big ol’ wall of text.

Why do people write like this? The longer and more rambling a paragraph is, the more difficult it is for anyone (other posters or even developers) to address anything it raises, because the only comprehensive-yet-comprehensible way to address points raised in this way is to work up a bulleted list and go through it one at a time, which is impractically time consuming.

I tried to read / skimmed the OP, and all I can really get out of it is “This thread is about how Odeezee is unhappy and doesn’t think Anet cares about players.” It seems to request everything from UI changes to vast expanses of land without mobs to bosses that devastate the landscape.

There’s no way to address all that in a single thread, so why not pick out the individual points and make threads about them, or add them to existing threads on the relevant topics? That way, you create or contribute to a discussion, instead of just ranting without focus.

I hate to nitpick grammar, but as long as I’m whining about wall-of-text posts, I might as well dive all the way in: When you don’t capitalize letters at the start of sentences, it makes everything you’ve written needlessly more difficult to read. It really does.

nit-pick all you want. i won’t capitalize letters at the beginning of a sentence because this is NOT a dissertation and following a strict writing style is not what this text is about, as long as it is legible and the message comes across then it does not have to look pretty for the sake of looking pretty. hey look on the bright side, you don’t actually have to read it if it offends you so much, no one is forcing you to participate, it’s entirely up to you

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

Oh really, its doing fine? Then tell me why those gamebreaking bugs which already existed at release are still there? Like the heartquest next to Brias house in Ironmarches. The NPCs needed to complete the quest are still completely bugged. They do respawn but on top of the trees where nobody can reach them. Taking feedback my kitten .
And maybe its YOU who is living in its tiny world where GW2 is doing totaly fine.
And hundreds of thousands player log on every day and then log off immediately because the new daily system does nothing to hold them or bring them back to play actively. Almost all off my guild mates and former guildmates quit this mess of a game permanently.

Odeezee.7362

I agree with the OP 100%, Anet needs to take a step back, pull there heads out of the corporate machine, and listen to thier customer base.
The Developers are not wearing any clothes. and they need to listen to those of us shouting and cover themselves. 10 people saying ‘Fix the bugs’ and 1 person saying " everything is glamorous"… you really ought to listen to the people saying what you don’t want to hear. Fix the bugs.
Fix the dead zones in PVE where no one bothers to go, make the game a living breathing world in reality. not because you say so. MAKE stuff move around. Im tired of chopping down trees that have names like Jungle Wurm, and Tequatl, and Shadow Behemoth.

let’s just hope that ANet actually listens, it seems like it’s all we can do now.

Odeezee.7362

Odeezee

I just wanted you to know you have spoken from my heart. Thank you for your post.

i am glad that you appreciate what i wrote, now we need to hope that something fruitful becomes of this.

Odeezee.7362

actually that would be incorrect, i never mentioned LotR*O*, but i did mention LotR so mounts never crossed my mind, but hey i guess you just misread what i said or skimmed it and mistakes happen

Odeezee.7362

OP, You raise a lot of good points. I feel like Anet has their priorities completely wrong.

thanks for taking the time to read the thread

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

actually that would be incorrect, i never mentioned LotR*O*, but i did mention LotR so mounts never crossed my mind, but hey i guess you just misread what i said or skimmed it and mistakes happen

See .. that happens when posting such a wall of text that people don’t even want
to read .. and only fly over it and pick up some words.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: EoNenmacil.2361

EoNenmacil.2361

FINALLY!!!! A post that is 100% the way i feel about GW2 and Anet. I love Guildwars 2. It ha given me so many good times and alowed me to meet so many great people.

Quick info on me. I have played sence BWE1 clock just under 5000 hours in to the game. Have every class at 80 and Played Every Living World release completeing 90% of the metas for them. Even dumped really money into it monthly to support the game. I understand the game as a vetren player.

Everything in that post is true as far as i can see it. I see very little love from the devs for GW2. They are closed minded, and most of them are selling gw2 to new players trying to pull gems out of them.
If Anet want to stop running there game in to the ground they need to be Open and Transparent to there Players. They need to be like. “Yah We ahve about xxx number of people working on xxxx project” or “we got the project going” .

Thats all I can type on my phone :P Good Luck Anet Please Bring Back the Game we Love.

2nd Officer of Ethereal Guardians ~Syinne Rio~

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Right now my expectations for WvW in 2015 are 2 new tag colors and a new discipline perhaps, like supply trap mastery, maybe a siege-disabler disabler.

Maybe I’m wrong, and they have been working on 2 new WvW maps for the last year and a overhaul of the old maps. As it was written in an article, they have been “working on stuff”, although we already know its not new dungeons or SAB.

So I would not expect an expansion worth of content considering they have not started work on new dungeons. Due to complaints they are supposed to be working again on SAB world 3, but is that really happening? how long will it take for us to be able to use our continue coin again if it was canned for 1 full year?

On top of that the mac version is buggier than ever before, the new player experience is quite frankly a disaster, the TP is just inflating due to market manipulation, precursor crafting is over a year late, class balance is questionable, EotM has become a boring Karma train, all tiers below tier 2 in WvW are basically dead and the living story is a run through 30 minutes experience you never come back to. So yeah please make 2015 a better yeah than 2014 for GW2.