an expansion might be useless

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

With heart of thorns possibly being an expansion I got really excited. Then I realized what’s the point for them making one?

Let me explain. There are 2 types of people in this game generally.

Player a – Those who are happy, love the world and exploring, like the living story for the most part. Like wvw and the spvp.

Player b – Then there is the people like me. I hit level 80, I got my gear, I did my legendary, there is nothing left in this game.

So let’s say an expansion comes out. The version I want. 1 or 2 new races a new heavy armor class, level cap increased to 100 with new armors. New weapons. Options for more then the same 5 skills, a huge new map size of gw2 at release with a great story again.

Or…..a brand new huge map, great story, more cosmeticts.

Now option one will for the most part really upset player a quite a bit. Option two will be pretty much pointless to player b as they see no point doing it.

Which makes me ask. Why make an expansion at all? The option I’d love to see is very unlikely to meet even half my wants in this game. So for player a why not just continue the living story?

Does anyone else see this expansion being anything more then just a huge chapter of living story in a new map?

I know I’m kinda just rambling on here. Just that gw2 has so much potential to be the world’s best mmo but for some reason isn’t because other then living world there is simply just nothing else to do as its all been done 100 times. Please feel free to hate my post or put your thoughts. Just felt like posting this. I have no intention of a flame war so let’s just discuss not fight

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

If A-Net does an expansion like they did with GW then it will be 1-2 new professions, new skills for existing professions, new looks for gear, and new maps and story. So I’d say that it won’t be what you would like(a “normal” expansion like in WoW).

Posted by: Yunielesca.2850

Yunielesca.2850

Listening to you, they should stop making any content because of the rushers.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

With heart of thorns possibly being an expansion I got really excited. Then I realized what’s the point for them making one?

Player a – Those who are happy, love the world and exploring, like the living story for the most part. Like wvw and the spvp.

Player b – Then there is the people like me. I hit level 80, I got my gear, I did my legendary, there is nothing left in this game.

So let’s say an expansion comes out. The version I want. 1 or 2 new races a new heavy armor class, level cap increased to 100 with new armors. New weapons. Options for more then the same 5 skills, a huge new map size of gw2 at release with a great story again.

Now option one will for the most part really upset player a quite a bit. Option two will be pretty much pointless to player b as they see no point doing it.

Which makes me ask. Why make an expansion at all? The option I’d love to see is very unlikely to meet even half my wants in this game. So for player a why not just continue the living story?

Does anyone else see this expansion being anything more then just a huge chapter of living story in a new map?

I know I’m kinda just rambling on here. Just that gw2 has so much potential to be the world’s best mmo but for some reason isn’t because other then living world there is simply just nothing else to do as its all been done 100 times. Please feel free to hate my post or put your thoughts. Just felt like posting this. I have no intention of a flame war so let’s just discuss not fight

If it is an expansion, alot of things from your first point are probably going to be introduced. No new level cap though, as it will force people to re-build every single one of their character and I don’t see Anet doing that.

Otherwise, that’s the game GW2 is. Also, most other MMOs are about gear grind. One gear is gone, the other comes. So every model gets eventually boring. At least, if an expasnion comes here. You will most probably still have Living Story when you are done with the expansion content.

Posted by: BeVa.4895

BeVa.4895

I just have one thing to say buddy, this game is not made for player b.
“There is nothing to do”, There is, but you’re not bothered doing it, there’s a difference.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

And then there’s people like me. People who love the world and love the game. But played every aspect of it do death and want more. And LS does not deliver.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Expansion won’t stop people complaining. Those that essentially live in the game will have completely everything within a month. The majority of the active player base will have completed everything within six months with everyone else within a year. Then there’s another ~1.5 years until the next expansion. When each group of players completes all of the content, they’ll be back to saying the game lacks new content and that the game is dying.

Those that essentially live in the game will have completely everything within a month.

I’d rather have a lot of content to have fun with for a few months straight than a few hours every 2 weeks with huge breaks every now and then.

~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: BeVa.4895

BeVa.4895

And then there’s people like me. People who love the world and love the game. But played every aspect of it do death and want more. And LS does not deliver.

And that’s why an expansion is needed. (I haven’t played nearly as much, but) Content can get stale if you keep doing it over and over. LS is interesting and offers something (for free!), but real meat, actual new stuff that people want, should come eventually (and will probably cost money)

So for Windu’s sake, let there be an x-pac

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I see it as resources.

The normal income of GW2 post launch limit the amount of resources they can put in the living story. An expansion boost their income and at the same time the amount of resources they can put in the game.

Of course it depend on what exactly they gonna put their resources. For your exemple :

Player A will be happy with expending what they already love. An expansion will probably add some functionality to sPvP, PvE and WvW to make their gaming experience better. It will also give them more new content and challenge to take on like new cosmetic gear, new profession to master, new achievement, etc.

Player B is probably not playing right now or playing just a couple hours every time a update come out. They will return to the game if only to experiment the new content. If we look at others game expansion or GW1 expansion we are still looking at a couple of hours if not a couple of dozens of hours of content.

I don’t see any problem with an expansion except if Anet screw it up. Its all about a boost in income for them, that translate into a boost in resources they can put into the game.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Those that essentially live in the game will have completely everything within a month.

I’d rather have a lot of content to have fun with (see what I did there) for a few months straight than a few hours every 2 weeks with huge breaks every now and then.

I still don’t understand why you believe Anet will stop with Living Story if they actually release an expansion!

I’d rather have a lot of content to have fun with (see what I did there) for a few months straight than a few hours every 2 weeks with huge breaks every now and then.

I still don’t understand why you believe Anet will stop with Living Story if they actually release an expansion!

Oh if they want to continue LS then by all means go ahead. It would be a good way to keep players entertained in between expansions. Frankly, that’s what I though LS was intended for when it first appeared, to fill the gap between expansions.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: chris.6583

chris.6583

sounds like nothing will satisfy player b, so anet shouldn’t care about him

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

As many here have said, it’s about pacing. There is such a thing as playing the game too much, and you’ll know you’re doing it if you’ve already done everything you want to do. The solution? Do something else. Unless that something else is whining on the forums about lack of content.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: TheReaperTheFourthHorsemen.7894

TheReaperTheFourthHorsemen.7894

Looking at season 2 before the finale I was at first kinda disappointed that it was so short until I looked at it as a whole combined with season 1 realized it looked a lot like a prologue for something bigger as its just simply not possible to kill a dragon in a living story season unless you rush it which would ruin the story
also it looked like season 2 was meant to set up all the plot points for a expansion with all the teasers and hints they threw out and people kept complaining about them needing to first resolve first few plot points they set up before adding more which made me notice they had intention to resolve them in season 2

my fate is my own, I will not be Mordremoth’s slave!- Ezonos Nightbriar

Ayrilana.1396

I’d rather have a lot of content to have fun with for a few months straight than a few hours every 2 weeks with huge breaks every now and then.

Don’t play any of the living story episodes and content until the seasons are over.

We received an expansion of content already although the season 1 portion was only temporary. They may not have had new races, classes, and so on but those don’t define an expansion.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Those players will never be happy. At least on a forum. Really don’t know why that is, but expansion or no, someone’s gonna complain.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying an expansion, or whatever’s coming, as ‘useless’, but I will say it won’t satisfy certain people no matter what.

Forums often turn into the customer service complaint center, more often than not.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

Don’t play any of the living story episodes and content until the seasons are over.

Did you really say that? xD haha

Well, I admit, when gw2 first came out, I rushed throught the content, I was lev 80 with 100% map completion in no time. Then I made other alts, played with them a bit, but every corner of a world has already been seen, tryed out wvw, got in love with it!

But the thing is, I was always PvP guy, not at all PvE but I, which suprised me, actually enjoyed PvE content in gw. Even tho I rushed it, cuz I had plenty of time, I enjoyed it so much that I just couldnt stop playing it.
The world is amazing!

But that really is a problem, when you rush content and get all done in a matter of few weeks, it seems to you that the world is small.

So i took a break and got back after half a year when season 3 hit its middle episode.

Made another alt, actually joined great guild and played with others. It’s amazing experience to do things slowly with others

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

We received an expansion of content already although the season 1 portion was only temporary. They may not have had new races, classes, and so on but those don’t define an expansion.

That’s exactly what I did. I’m now playing Episodes 5-8 of LS2. I just logged in and did dailies while I waited for the final episode of this season. Makes the LS2 seem as tho it had more content than it actually did and I still have 2 other 80’s to do the complete LS2 on. So hopefully I’ll be able to stay occupied in-game until the next season starts or we get an expansion.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

First off, the OP over simplifies the playerbase, stating that they’re either type a or type b. There are a ton of players out there that play the game for all sorts of different reasons, none of which fits into the OP’s this or that characterization of the playerbase.

And second, I would definitely agree with several other posters here……a player b type game player will never be satisfied with this game(or many others, for that matter), so that type of player’s opinions should be very low on Anet’s priority list.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

First off, the OP over simplifies the playerbase, stating that they’re either type a or type b. There are a ton of players out there that play the game for all sorts of different reasons, none of which fits into the OP’s black and white characterization of the playerbase.

And second, I would definitely agree with several other posters here……player b will never be satisfied with the game, so that type of player should be very low on Anet’s priority list.

yeah, like player C

Player C is PvP maniac who wants real PvP feeling and atmosphere but he didnt get it and he doesnt think he will ever get in this game.

Ayrilana.1396

Did you really say that? xD haha

Well, I admit, when gw2 first came out, I rushed throught the content, I was lev 80 with 100% map completion in no time. Then I made other alts, played with them a bit, but every corner of a world has already been seen, tryed out wvw, got in love with it!

But the thing is, I was always PvP guy, not at all PvE but I, which suprised me, actually enjoyed PvE content in gw. Even tho I rushed it, cuz I had plenty of time, I enjoyed it so much that I just couldnt stop playing it.
The world is amazing!

But that really is a problem, when you rush content and get all done in a matter of few weeks, it seems to you that the world is small.

So i took a break and got back after half a year when season 3 hit its middle episode.

Made another alt, actually joined great guild and played with others. It’s amazing experience to do things slowly with others

Yes. The perceived lack of content from the living story was due to how it’s split up across a plethora of patches over the past two years. Add in some breaks and the fact that season 1 was mostly temporary makes it appear to be even less. Undoubtedly any content will appear small when rushed through as well.

A lot of it has to do with how you approach the content. My initial suggestion to people who complain about a lack of content is to hold off and play an entire season in one go as if it were an expansion. This will remove the distortion caused by how it’s divided up and the various breaks for the all important WvW seasons and the like.

yeah no. Even the entirety of Season 2 is no expansion worth of content.
This is what one of the gw1 expansions (EoTN) had:
-41 new armor sets, including rare, stand-alone pieces
-100 new profession-specific skills (10 per profession, none of which are elite)
-50 new PvE only skills including 3 elite skills
-10 new heroes (gw2 has no heroes but still you get the idea)
-18 Dungeons
-124 new quests
-The Hall of Monuments
-4 new regions (which were comprised of 24 zones, yes that’s right, 24!)

All season 2 episodes combined don’t come close to that. And that was just the small expansion. The stand alone expansions (Factions and Nightfall were even bigger).

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

OP, your ‘option 2’ is exactly what GW1 was. More area, more story, more armors to collect. That’s exactly what we want to see them continue.

GW1 proved long ago that a game does not need to raise the level cap, or negate a players effort in obtaining gear they like, in order to keep someone interested.

If THAT type of play is truly what you desire, continuously slogging for that next best tier, then there a multitude of other games out there that should take care of that itch.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Sylent.3165

First off, the OP over simplifies the playerbase, stating that they’re either type a or type b. There are a ton of players out there that play the game for all sorts of different reasons, none of which fits into the OP’s black and white characterization of the playerbase.

And second, I would definitely agree with several other posters here……player b will never be satisfied with the game, so that type of player should be very low on Anet’s priority list.

yeah, like player C

Player C is PvP maniac who wants real PvP feeling and atmosphere but he didnt get it and he doesnt think he will ever get in this game.

No we won’t. Gw1 had by far the best pvp I think. Random arenas was a blast and the faction battles were amazing.

The reason I think pvp suffers is because we are all using the exact same skills. Gw1 had an insane amount of builds, gw2 is way too limited considering we can’t change skills really for weapons

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

The only thing that will be bother me very much is an increased level cap. I think most people will be bothered by that. I do not want to see any increased level cap anywhere in the expansion.

New races, new classes, new weapons, option for more than the 5 same skills? Hell yes.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Teon.5168

That’s exactly what I did. I’m now playing Episodes 5-8 of LS2. I just logged in and did dailies while I waited for the final episode of this season. Makes the LS2 seem as tho it had more content than it actually did and I still have 2 other 80’s to do the complete LS2 on. So hopefully I’ll be able to stay occupied in-game until the next season starts or we get an expansion.

LOL….same as what I have done. I have fiddled with dailies, alts, and wvw while the different ls chapters have been piling up. I looked back just a couple days ago, and I only have 1/2 through the 2nd chapter done…..so I got quite a few chapters to get through…..should make for an interesting few months of game play, as I will do all sorts of other things in game along with the life story.

(As anyone can tell from the above post, most of the time I do not rush through mmorpgs……I take my time with them, and just try to enjoy the game experience….despite the minor annoyances here and there)

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Ayrilana.1396

yeah no.

Well then you’ll continue to not see how much content was provided. It’s similar to saving spare change over the course of a year.

The spare change that you save during a year may not seem like much at the time until considered as part of a whole when the year is up and you see the results.

Teon.5168

yeah, like player C

Or Player D….someone like my wife who only plays the game for PvE, and avoids WvW and PvP like the plague.

I will play pvp, but only when I have to(dailies) or for a change when I get tired of pve or wvw, as pvp gets boring pretty quick for me….but that is just me.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

Ayrilana.1396

yeah no. Even the entirety of Season 2 is no expansion worth of content.
This is what one of the gw1 expansions (EoTN) had:
-41 new armor sets, including rare, stand-alone pieces
-100 new profession-specific skills (10 per profession, none of which are elite)
-50 new PvE only skills including 3 elite skills
-10 new heroes
-18 Dungeons
-124 new quests
-The Hall of Monuments
-4 new regions (which were comprised of 24 zones, yes that’s right, 24!)

All season 2 episodes combined don’t come close to that. And that was just the small expansion. The stand alone expansions (Factions and Nightfall were even bigger).

I never said season 2 was an expansion compared to other games like WoW.

Also, GW1 and GW2 are vastly different games. You cannot compare the zones (which are incredibly small compared to GW2, nor the skills and so on. the dungeons were nothing like how GW2 dungeons are. I will say that the Seaskn 2 story was much larger than EotN though.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Wait where do I fit into those two categories?

I don’t have any legendaries or ascended weapons

I don’t like levels either, but I enjoy going into WvW, and champ training back during the queen dale thing, and I like meta event hunting, and collecting skins.
I don’t like dungeons as much, nor SPvP. I want more skills and to get all my Alts to 80 of each class.
Where do I fit?

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Yes. The perceived lack of content from the living story was due to how it’s split up across a plethora of patches over the past two years. Add in some breaks and the fact that season 1 was mostly temporary makes it appear to be even less. Undoubtedly any content will appear small when rushed through as well.

A lot of it has to do with how you approach the content. My initial suggestion to people who complain about a lack of content is to hold off and play an entire season in one go as if it were an expansion. This will remove the distortion caused by how it’s divided up and the various breaks for the all important WvW seasons and the like.

That’s actually a reasonable and insightful observation. +1.

Gone to Reddit.

I will say that the Seaskn 2 story was much larger than EotN though.

To each their own. But I’m afraid I can not agree with that. All the zones combined are definitely much bigger than just dry top and The Silverwastes. 18 dungeons is a lot better than the amount of dungeons season 2 had (there were none). Season 2 added no skills at all. And so far only 6 armor sets were added.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

As someone who thoroughly enjoys the living story and how it gives everyone in my guild something new while keeping us at the same pace. I can’t see how an expansion would hurt anything or how it would be pointless as long as it’s in addition to living story not a replacement.

It will draw people back to the game if even only temporarily. It will renew the game in terms of its timeline. This game is far from perfect. But, how Anet has set out to try to break they WoW molds of MMOs and have had great success compared to other MMOs that have released during the it’s life span.

As a player that doesn’t have hours upon hours a day to keep up with the latest and greatest in other MMOs. This is arguably the best game the MMO genre currently offers right now. Expansion or not, I am very excited on what this announcement could be.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Ayrilana.1396

I will say that the Seaskn 2 story was much larger than EotN though.

To each their own. But I’m afraid I can not agree with that. All the zones combined are definitely much bigger than just dry top and The Silverwastes. 18 dungeons is a lot better than the amount of dungeons season 2 had (there were none). Season 2 added no skills at all. And so far only 6 armor sets were added.

How many different armor sets were there in GW1 compared to GW2? What was the layout of the majority of GW1 dungeons compared to GW2? What was the layout of GW1 maps compared to GW2 maps. I highly suggest looking at only the walkable areas of the GW1 maps and compared the same to the GW2 maps which have a Z axis. Most of GW1 maps have the appearance of rooms and always when you take out all of the textures and only look at where you can walk.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

Expansions only have one point, to make money. The more money they make, the more likely we will get more improvements to the whole game.

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

This game was not designed for player B who requires ever increasing gear tiers to stay interested in the game. They made that clear in development and have shown no indication of changing that, not to mention the history of the original Guild Wars shows that they don’t design games that way.

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

The original Guild Wars had 3 expansions, and not once did the raise the level cap, so I think it’s a safe assumption that they won’t be boosting the level cap here. I sure hope they don’t.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’ll make a difference to those of us in one of the groups if that group is targeted. If the other group isn’t happy, they can find a game that will make them happy, because obviously this game is being aimed toward the group that’s happy.

It’ll make a difference because disenfranchised people who want this game to be something Anet doesn’t want it to be will have some kind of answer. And there’ll be enough people left, probably of either type, to keep the game going.

The playerbase is divided. Why shouldn’t one side or the other be happy?

Anet will never please everyone.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Expansions only have one point, to make money. The more money they make, the more likely we will get more improvements to the whole game.

That’s the same wrong headed thinking behind the cry of “game needs an expansion”. Influx of income doesn’t mean more improvements. You are assuming that a lack of income is holding them back, that there isn’t enough people working on the game to make improvements.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Sylent.3165

The original Guild Wars had 3 expansions, and not once did the raise the level cap, so I think it’s a safe assumption that they won’t be boosting the level cap here. I sure hope they don’t.

Which is very true yes. The only reason I’d like a level cap is for some awesome new traits really. Or doing build like 3/3/0/0/3.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

level cap increased to 100

That’s awful.

I rather want ArenaNet keep satisfying player A instead.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The problem is, the OP starts on a fallacy…that there are only two types of players. It’s not only not true, but it ignores the fact that many people are in the middle who don’t care enough about either to make a decision about the game based on that criteria.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

yeah no.

Well then you’ll continue to not see how much content was provided. It’s similar to saving spare change over the course of a year.

The spare change that you save during a year may not seem like much at the time until considered as part of a whole when the year is up and you see the results.

I did hold off on LS2 until the episode before the most recent one. I then played through it all at once.

It did not feel at all like a traditional expansion to me.

Now, for the record, lack of content is not much of a concern for me. Maybe that contributes to my perception, maybe not.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I image player B would just jump to a new game once it out rush that game and jump to the next game once its out AND we did see this happen these games die off with in months of them being out too. I am not sure if its worth trying to keep that type of player at the cost of player A because that IS what it would take.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Ayrilana.1396

yeah no.

I did hold off on LS2 until the episode before the most recent one. I then played through it all at once.

It did not feel at all like a traditional expansion to me.

Now, for the record, lack of content is not much of a concern for me. Maybe that contributes to my perception, maybe not.

One season won’t feel like an expansion. Assuming that Anet can maintain a schedule without all of these long breaks, you’d likely have about 5 seasons (assuming 8 episodes every 6 months) during the time it would take to release a traditional expansion on average.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Well if they launch an expansion then that pretty clearly says that “player a” is not making Anet enough money and are not a big enough group to support the game.

The fact is that the game needs “player b’s” to keep the game afloat and pay the salaries.

Sylent.3165

I image player B would just jump to a new game once it out rush that game and jump to the next game once its out AND we did see this happen these games die off with in months of them being out too. I am not sure if its worth trying to keep that type of player at the cost of player A because that IS what it would take.

What do you mean by rush? The game has been out long enough for playing 1 hour a day you should have a legendary, and most achievements unlocked. I in no way rushed the game. The game just does not have enough content.

One good and bad thing about this game though is no holy trinity. Personally when the game launched made this the best thing ever. But of course this made players decide who can play in dungeons. I play a thief, a warrior, and a ranger. Personally my warrior is by far the most boring but unless I’m playing warrior in not wanted anywhere really in pve and that’s sad.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Sounds like you might need a game with a frequent gear treadmill to keep you entertained. Because without that, what is there even for you to do in any MMO? You sound like the kind of person that plays heavily to level cap, getting max gear, and then you get bored. But what game wouldn’t that happen in? Only one would be WoW because of the frequent level increases and gear treadmill, and even then, millions of people have grown bored of even that kind of content (because quite honestly in the end it’s pretty much doing the same content over and over again until the next expansion so you can play a couple of weeks to get to the new max and then do the same content over and over again until the next expansion.).

Most of the people playing GW2 are here because they don’t want the above, which seems like is not quite your cup of tea.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

As an example, gw1 standalone/expansion gave us new skills, title grind and for the hardcore players an incredible difficult elite area. With it’s unique weapons to match go with that.
And lots more of course, I only see good tings from an expansion point of view.