an expansion might be useless

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Well if they launch an expansion then that pretty clearly says that “player a” is not making Anet enough money and are not a big enough group to support the game.

The fact is that the game needs “player b’s” to keep the game afloat and pay the salaries.

In the first place, it makes no sense that Anet keeps their game B2P if their target-audience is first and foremost player a. GW2 doesn’t get alot of box-sales nowadays due to the game being 2 years old. If Anet doesn’t plan releasing any new paid content, they may as well go free to play to increase the possibility of paying player a’s.

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

So let’s say an expansion comes out. The version I want. 1 or 2 new races a new heavy armor class, level cap increased to 100 with new armors. New weapons. Options for more then the same 5 skills, a huge new map size of gw2 at release with a great story again.

Or…..a brand new huge map, great story, more cosmeticts.

Now option one will for the most part really upset player a quite a bit. Option two will be pretty much pointless to player b as they see no point doing it.

I don’t want your first option too much gear grindmill & the second is lacking.

From my point of view :
Player A just want to continue “normal” MMO way; I play GW2 because I’m sick of it.
Player B enjoy playing but after 3 years of no major new contents (Stretching it a bit but by that I mean what you described in your second option).This would be amazing.

To my opinion this will renew the game experience;
For the example of the new map, in living story; we got:
- Southsun Island : not a great success in my opinion, empty/boring mob/etc.
- Drytop: better map from the events &activities but too much story driven by my taste.
- Silverwaste: A map with an unique event that I find refreshing to do & encourage map play.

Now I want full map like in the vanilla with event similar to SW & in abondance (10 to 15 of them)

I want new dungeons/ new game mode PVP/ RAID/new gameplay mechanics(a lot of new enemy where introduced in LS2 that are quite refreshing).

Plus you forgot a point; the expansion purpose isn’t to solely release more of the exact same but to use the good base with flaws that is GW2 & to expand on it to become a better game.
I least that is what I hope.

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

So let’s say an expansion comes out. The version I want. 1 or 2 new races a new heavy armor class, level cap increased to 100 with new armors. New weapons. Options for more then the same 5 skills, a huge new map size of gw2 at release with a great story again.

Raising level cap is pointless in GW2, even if you’re going to “grind” those levels it’ll only take you a week at max.

Besides they’re handing out Tomes of Knowledge, so most players can just click 20x till they’re level 100…

I’m really curious why you find raising level being worth it, as they won’t give armor progression and probably just raise all armors to 100 without any trouble…

Also:
Check your skill points, most likely that at least 25% of that are given by “leveling up” after 80… So probably you’ve leveled to 200 already if that was possible…

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Raising level cap is pointless in GW2, even if you’re going to “grind” those levels it’ll only take you a week at max.

Yeah, increasing the level cap doesn’t make any sense in this game. The only thing it will do it invalidate Ascended gear and make us grind all over again, which again, doesn’t make sense to me.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

I cannot believe people are arguing over the probability of an expansion. How could that possibly negatively impact the game? How can adding to an amazing world like Tyria ever conceivably be considered a bad thing? I absolutely see them continuing with the living story to some degree after this launches as obviously those mechanisms were put into place while they built this expansion and will likely continue on while building another.
I’ve said all along the best thing they could do was both and I think that is exactly what they’re doing, how amazing is that!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

I cannot believe people are arguing over the probability of an expansion. How could that possibly negatively impact the game? How can adding to an amazing world like Tyria ever conceivably be considered a bad thing? I absolutely see them continuing with the living story to some degree after this launches as obviously those mechanisms were put into place while they built this expansion and will likely continue on while building another.
I’ve said all along the best thing they could do was both and I think that is exactly what they’re doing, how amazing is that!

I don’t think they’re arguing over the expansion, but what that expansion might bring.
Person A prefers a WoW type expansion, person B doesn’t think that’s something good
Person B prefers more living story, person A doesn’t think that’s something good.

And I’m not even gonna talk about person C-Z, as everyone has personal preferences which can’t all be honored and fulfilled.

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I hope they don’t add to tyria truthfully. Gw1 expansions each offered a new world, along with something amazing

Factions was a little more of a challenge with more team work needed which I loved. Added the amazing faction battles pvp which was a blast.

Nightfall added the hero system along with a very good story line.

Eotn I just found ok. Story I did like about and seeing tyria the way it was was really cool. And just knowing all the events were leading to gw2.

These expansions however were each one year apart. Each adding new skills, new classes, elite mode.

The problem is I don’t see gw2 adding new classes, or see them adding new skills because they are big on the “you get 5 skills that’s it”. Takes away the guild wars feel. If the expansion was anything like the gw1 expansions then it will be an incredible hit.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Yeah, increasing the level cap doesn’t make any sense in this game. The only thing it will do it invalidate Ascended gear and make us grind all over again, which again, doesn’t make sense to me.

In the end that is the only reason in other games also for a level increase. They could
also delete all your items with the patch and give you just generic new white gear
instead of that .. however then maybe every player suddenly would reocognize
what they do.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

The way things have been going with the game, I’m going to vote with my wallet and say ‘thanks but no thanks’ to any expansions.

My main problem is a very simple one. I have a minor physical disability. As a result of that, twitch gameplay causes me physical pain. The game’s new content (living story, achievements) has been increasingly focused on twitch gameplay. Any expansion is all too likely to contain more of the same.

And of course, there’s reason number 2, which is also fairly prominent. Too much dumbing down in this game, too much leading the poor player by the hand. Again, thanks but no thanks. I prefer games where I occasionally have to use my brains and figure things out.