anyone want to explain to me the point...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

of making us grind out 100 more crafting levels and time-gating the rate at which we can obtain T7 mats for ascended gear? Doesn’t that seem like a double-whammy of grind just for the sake of grind? Wouldn’t the time-gated T7 mat conversion have served the exact same purpose without the 100 extra crafting levels?

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

no clue about time gating, i actually would like to hear a legitimate reason for it
none of that money making conspiracy theories….

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Don’t forget that you have to grind the actual materials themselves (I think 100 of each), making it a triple whammy.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

While you guys are at it, feel free to explain to me why account/soul-bound equipment (as is the case with ascended weapons, according to Dulfy) needs to be time-gated in the first place.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Goals:

• Annoy grinders into limiting their progress so they can’t just get it in 3 days
  • Annoy off and on players so it takes even longer to get their stuff
  • Annoy people who don’t like grinding
  • Annoy people that don’t want vertical progression
  • Annoy people with alts
  • Annoy action oriented people by using the most banal and minimally interactive channel as crafting being the first available option.

This way everyone can be equally as miserable, though the skinner box rats won’t mind since they just care about chasing the next shiny and would defend pulling a lever every day as a valid game mechanic that should be “dealt with”

If you don’t believe me, look how they destroyed all 3 utility infusions in a egalitarian fashion.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

Its to cater to the people that need gear to grind to “entice” them to play. That’s it. That’s all it’s for. To keep a specific type of person playing. The complete opposite of how they marketed the game. Don’t question it.

I’d go on to say it’s a betrayal by ANet but the current ANet is not the same company that made GW, dreamed of GW2, and sold GW2. The current ANet has already killed, gutted, and replaced the old one so technically they haven’t betrayed anyone.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Everyone seems to look only on the dirty side. Up side is it extends game’s longevity. This game almost has no progression once you hit 80 or 400 in crafting.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Everyone seems to look only on the dirty side. Up side is it extends game’s longevity. This game almost has no progression once you hit 80 or 400 in crafting.

Extends longevity?More like shorten it by a factor of 10^101010101001010110101010.

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

no clue about time gating, i actually would like to hear a legitimate reason for it

The only reason that seems to fit is to add another carrot to daily play. If you can log in every day, you can get an ascended item (bound!) in about two weeks (according to the dev stream). If, like me, your life limits you to weekend play, then maybe a few months to a year? Oh yeah, and you’ll have to do dungeons and jumping puzzles to get some t7 mats as well as salvage exotics for one rare mat (like exotics drop daily).

I guess since ascended is just as good as a legendary they want it to take a long time to get.

(edited by BilboBaggins.5620)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

While you guys are at it, feel free to explain to me why account/soul-bound equipment (as is the case with ascended weapons, according to Dulfy) needs to be time-gated in the first place.

Because if you time gate content, then you give the illusion of more content than there actually is. Similarly introducing higher level gear gives you the illusion of progressing your toons (when in fact new content will have to be scaled to the existence of this higher level gear — unless Anet intends to make this game even easier than it currently is).

Having to make new real content (new zones, new events, new maps, new dungeons, etc.) that’s challenging and lengthens the longevity of the game is very hard (witness the buggy, uninspired LS). Time gating and gear treadmilling is very very easy and that appears to be the path that Anet has chosen to take.

(A similar example of phantom content are the World Abilities in WvW.)

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Gives the people an option other than RNG (since RNG is a factor and anything that can drop an ascended material can drop an item) along with giving significant difference between alts and mains.

Now if only we had a skilled method with challanging content to acquire real rewards. No? Still nothing? Guess I’ll play around in the adventure box.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Bilbo you only need to log in and click the craft button each day, it’s not really “play” so it should still take you 2 weeks.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Zero Day.2594

(i might get banned for this)
hey guys that wanna chase a carrot on a stick, i found a sick game for you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/
:| only costs you a one time payment, a subscription, and some of your life as well as soul. But i can tell you this, the carrots are always juicy.
(been there, done that, gw1>wow)

Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Its to cater to the people that need gear to grind to “entice” them to play. That’s it. That’s all it’s for. To keep a specific type of person playing. The complete opposite of how they marketed the game. Don’t question it.

I’d go on to say it’s a betrayal by ANet but the current ANet is not the same company that made GW, dreamed of GW2, and sold GW2. The current ANet has already killed, gutted, and replaced the old one so technically they haven’t betrayed anyone.

November was a betrayal. Sept will be a further betrayal. That they lied is certain to me. If all goes a badly as I think it will next week I’ll have to start scouting out a new game. So sad.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Zero Day.2594

@emikochan
Some people have legitimate, out of the game reasons, for not being able to log in to even click a button. Some people are casuals, some people are returning. For those people it wont take 2 weeks, it will take month(s) (btw dont forget it’s per-piece…. and wait till armor comes out… oh and btw i hope you like your current build, two weeks to change!). Some people are hardcore enough to log in and press a button (lol…).

But can you tell me a good reason for time gating?

Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

(i might get banned for this)
hey guys that wanna chase a carrot on a stick, i found a sick game for you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/
:| only costs you a one time payment, a subscription, and some of your life as well as soul. But i can tell you this, the carrots are always juicy.
(been there, done that, gw1>wow)

Nah they’d have to actually read their forums to ban you.
Oh wait… they pay people to read them and ban people so they don’t have to do it themselves… nvm.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

knives.6345

Extends longevity?More like shorten it by a factor of 10^101010101001010110101010.

Why? Because you don’t like it and is now assuming more than 80% doesn’t like it too and they will mass rage quit once this is implemented?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

There is no progression in treadmilling. Crafting is the most tedious, boring, uncreative part of the game. That you now get to craft to 500 is not a positive.

Many people are being negative because time and again Anet emphasized that this game would be about horizontal progression. That you would reach max stats, and from there you would play to experience content not to grind to the next bigger-than-max stats. But that’s exactly what they did.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The only reason that seems to fit is to add another carrot to daily play. If you can log in every day, you can get an ascended item (bound!) in about two weeks (according to the dev stream). If, like me, your life limits you to weekend play, then maybe a few months to a year? Oh yeah, and you’ll have to do dungeons and jumping puzzles to get some t7 mats as well as salvage exotics for one rare mat (like exotics drop daily).

I guess since ascended is just as good as a legendary they want it to take a long time to get.

So you get the item in 14 days of your play and I get the item in 14 days of my play. In what world isn’t that fair.

You’ll be playing 14 days in the old gear and I’ll be playing 14 days in the old gear. Relatively it’s all the same.

This is the only fair way to do it.

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

So you get the item in 14 days of your play and I get the item in 14 days of my play. In what world isn’t that fair.

You’ll be playing 14 days in the old gear and I’ll be playing 14 days in the old gear. Relatively it’s all the same.

If you think time-gating a bound item is a good way to do things I doubt there’s anything I could say to change your mind. Enjoy the grind.

knives.6345

There is no progression in treadmilling. Crafting is the most tedious, boring, uncreative part of the game. That you now get to craft to 500 is not a positive.

Many people are being negative because time and again Anet emphasized that this game would be about horizontal progression. That you would reach max stats, and from there you would play to experience content not to grind to the next bigger-than-max stats. But that’s exactly what they did.

Unfortunately, there is. There are people who want the “best” in game – meaning they want to get the max out there – and this one answers for that “want” in crafting.

It’s becoming stagnant – soon everyone would go max and people will get bored. They need something to work on – and this is one of it.

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Unfortunately, there is. There are people who want the “best” in game – meaning they want to get the max out there – and this one answers for that “want” in crafting.

It’s becoming stagnant – soon everyone would go max and people will get bored. They need something to work on – and this is one of it.

gl grindig

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

They do it so it makes their fake content last longer. Time gating is pretty much the evidence of this, there is no reason to time gate things other than slowing us down.

knives.6345

gl grindig

Well, I don’t grind. I don’t rush things. I play when I can – and understand that I’ll earn equals to the time I played. I’m not one of the people who wanted to max things out the moment they come installed to the game.

Thanks anyways.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It’s simple to explain, though really I wonder the point of this . . .

You play 14 days in a row, and get one weapon (we hope). He plays once every week and he takes 14 weeks to get it (he hopes). Which means you have the opportunity to get seven times as many weapons if you were straight playing.

So, obviously, you can see the problem here. You’re seven times as fortunate as him to have seven times this great gear.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.