ascended armor

ascended armor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knoweyedear.4286

Knoweyedear.4286

Any guess on between what dates ascended armor may be released?
Any guess if the dragonite bloodstone or empyril mats will be useful?

I don’t have much gold to toss around but I kinda want to change my characters armor/weapons style. But I don’t want to if there will be a new potentially cool looking armor set coming out.

Hope some people can share their theories.

ascended armor

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Good question.

My hope is not until ESO is released.

But seriously, Ascended armor would be far more work to design than trinkets or weapons, as the stats on armor are fundamental to builds and traits.

So it will all depend on when they started designing the armor. If it was at the time of the November Ascended bombshell, it might be close to being done. But if they completed the other gear first, I would guess January 2014.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

ascended armor

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Good question.

But seriously, Ascended armor would be far more work to design than trinkets or weapons, as the stats on armor are fundamental to builds and traits.

So it will all depend on when they started designing the armor. If it was at the time of the November Ascended bombshell, it might be close to being done. But if they completed the other gear first, I would guess January 2014.

Armor doesn’t take a year to model. If I were on a full-time wage, I’d be able to pump out quality armor sets based off of concept art each week, for each race and armor class. Since I’m not though, I take much more time for my clients. See diagram below:

Attachments:

ascended armor

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Good question.

Armor doesn’t take a year to model. If I were on a full-time wage, I’d be able to pump out quality armor sets based off of concept art each week, for each race and armor class. Since I’m not though, I take much more time for my clients. See diagram below:

The issue isn’t the visual models, but all the possible stat combinations that go on the armor. These stats in turn interact with everything else in the game: runes, builds, traits, weapon damage etc.

It’s ye olde balance issue.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

ascended armor

Viking Jorun.5413

Good question.

The issue isn’t the visual models, but all the possible stat combinations that go on the armor. These stats in turn interact with everything else in the game: runes, builds, traits, weapon damage etc.

It’s simple math. Math doesn’t take near as long as constructing the models.

ascended armor

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

Good question.

“Pick any two of the following: cheap, fast, high quality.”

Don’t foll yourself, “I could knock out an armor set every week”, lol. Notice that even today’s armor still has clipping issues. If they design a new set, it has to be done for all three armor classes, for at least three body types (asura, charr, human, if we make the ludicrous assumption sylvari are identical to humans and norn are just humans*1.25, which they are cleary not).

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

ascended armor

Viking Jorun.5413

Good question.

“Pick any two of the following: cheap, fast, high quality.”

Don’t foll yourself, “I could knock out an armor set every week”, lol. Notice that even today’s armor still has clipping issues. If they design a new set, it has to be done for all three armor classes, for at least three body types (asura, charr, human, if we make the ludicrous assumption sylvari are identical to humans and norn are just humans*1.25, which they are cleary not).

I’m an Indy character artist. Most of my models are around 20k triangles each, and I provide 2-6 per week to most employers. Making soft transformations into different body types is the easiest part, and all it takes in a production pipeline is PM_Heatweight and a bit of weight painting touch up. You seem to think that I have to completely remodel each armor set for each race, but once I’ve got it on Humans I can simply tweak the armor, make it larger or smaller and I’m done. The model is already unwrapped, textures painted and I’m done. Like I said, I could do one of each of the 3 armor tiers for each of the five races in a week easily. Am I willing to put in the time for free? No. That was my point.

ascended armor

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

All the possible stat combinations already exist in exotic form. It’s only a decision on how great the persent increase on stats would be (in the case of weapons it’s a 5% increase).
Also, the stats for weapons were already decided on (and known to us) since november, even if they introduced those weapons only last patch – i am pretty sure that the stats for armor are already determined as well.

You seem to think that I have to completely remodel each armor set for each race, but once I’ve got it on Humans I can simply tweak the armor, make it larger or smaller and I’m done.

Huh, i guess that’s where all the charr armor problems come from, then.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

ascended armor

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I hope it comes out just as the next awesome new mmo pops

ascended armor

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

Is that a prediction that Ascended Armour will be anything other than the stats of crafted Exotic Armour, with all the numbers increased by 5% ?

Seems a bit unlikely to me.

ascended armor

Viking Jorun.5413

All the possible stat combinations already exist in exotic form. It’s only a decision on how great the persent increase on stats would be (in the case of weapons it’s a 5% increase).
Also, the stats for weapons were already decided on (and known to us) since november, even if they introduced those weapons only last patch – i am pretty sure that the stats for armor are already determined as well.

You seem to think that I have to completely remodel each armor set for each race, but once I’ve got it on Humans I can simply tweak the armor, make it larger or smaller and I’m done.

Huh, i guess that’s where all the charr armor problems come from, then.

That’s exactly why. In a production pipeline you just don’t have time to spend more time on one model than the next, and you use the most played race as your “base model”.

ascended armor

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I imagine the supply of Gossamer will need improving first. Its much easier to lvl weapon crafts atm, because guaranteed ndoes exist. Right now, Gossamer is harder to get than Orich or ancient wood and lvlling armoursmith with such low supply will be a nightmare

ascended armor

Posted by: Saderic.2961

Saderic.2961

stat wise there is more from weapons and how to upgrade base weapon damage etc. ascended gear stats are already deterined prior to being implemented. its a 10% boost over exotic stuff of the same level.

ascended armor

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

please i want ascended armor to swap stats.
trinkets too.
weapons too.
thank you.