better level scaling (for fun exploration)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: veritedonato.5062

veritedonato.5062

The entire Tyria could be ours to explore!!! Freely.. no barriers, no level restrictions.. it would be great. Elder Scrolls Online has the model of level scaling that I am speaking of , the “One Tamriel” system that brings all levels to a standard of equality. Bosses and other tiered enemies.. would be the same for all levels.. same level of difficult challenge and fun! Combat and exploration go hand-in-hand for me…. in Guild Wars 2, SWTOR, and Elder Scrolls Online! It is fun to fight while exploring, and if this superior form of level scaling were made, it would allow groups of players to explore together .. friends, guild members, or you could explore alone perhaps……. to explore and fight through the galaxy of hostiles!!! I think it would be a great change. I hope ArenaNet takes notice.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

One of the reasons I liked GW1’s Prophecies over Factions or Nightfall is that there were very few exploration restrictions. You could go anywhere (with 3-4 exceptions that required finishing a story mission first). Nearly everything in the second two campaigns was gated by story.

GW1 also lacks the restriction for the core game… although it’s much, much harder, because you stop being able to hurt foes and they start seeking you out, if they are 11+ levels above you.

That makes for a different sort of fun challenge.

I’m not against the OP’s proposal. I just don’t think it’s worth the huge effort it would take to make it happen. Plus leveling is relatively quick in this game, so it’s not as if the current ‘level restrictions’ are all that burdensome, as they are in many other games.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think you’ve got a much better chance of getting people to support your idea if you explain what this alternative level scaling system is and how it would be better than what we have now.

It’s never a good idea to assume everyone reading your topic has played all the same games you have and is familiar with how they work. Even worse to assume they feel the same way you do about it. (I know a lot of Elder Scrolls Online players really hate the level scaling in that game.)

At the moment the only reason I have any idea at all what you’re talking about is because I have played Elder Scrolls Online. But I’m still not sure what exactly you’re proposing, other than something to do with scaling. You mentioned SWTOR as well, a game I haven’t played. Does that one have level scaling? Is it different to ESO? If so how is it different and how does that affect this suggestion.

Do you want all maps to be level 80, like ESO? Or do you want characters to scale up to the level of the map, like they current scale down? Or are you thinking of some kind of hybrid system?

Most importantly though – how would this make the game better?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

The entire Tyria could be ours to explore!!! Freely.. no barriers, no level restrictions.. it would be great. Elder Scrolls Online has the model of level scaling that I am speaking of , the “One Tamriel” system that brings all levels to a standard of equality. Bosses and other tiered enemies.. would be the same for all levels.. same level of difficult challenge and fun! Combat and exploration go hand-in-hand for me…. in Guild Wars 2, SWTOR, and Elder Scrolls Online! It is fun to fight while exploring, and if this superior form of level scaling were made, it would allow groups of players to explore together .. friends, guild members, or you could explore alone perhaps……. to explore and fight through the galaxy of hostiles!!! I think it would be a great change. I hope ArenaNet takes notice.

Yea after you exped up to 80 you can explore anywere since we got level descaling.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Sounds to me that he just wants level upscaling?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

That, or just eliminate levels entirely. I’m actually pretty happy with the idea of that, but I feel like it does pull guide rails out from new players … and having seen my partner go through the start of the game, for the “I don’t have ten years of MMO experience” player, the game is really, really hard to figure out with level 10 stuff, let alone all the level 80 complexity…

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Since he mentions challenge, I would assume this is what he means. No thanks.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

They already did. It is how I’m doing my explorations since a long time. I level an alt to 80 with tomes… et voila!