breach/vw and the "fault" of the new players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: castor.8019

castor.8019

Hi there.
So I finally had an afternoon without lags and decided to do silverwastes after quite a time.
Unfortunately, more than half of the vw events failed, breach almost never succeeded. Well, bad luck.

But what really made me upset was that every time the events failed people accused new players for the failure. It was all the fault of the “unexperienced”, they should “l2p”, “learn the mechanics”.

Well, what I´ve seen was that:
1) Most of the players on the map choose the south lane, which is -from what I learned today- called the “bot lane”. I personally don´t think that new or unexperienced players choose this lane just to autoattack.
2) Players refuse to take the waypoint after beeing defeated. I also don´t believe that this is a typical “newbie” behaviour. This is the behaviour of bored and loot-confident veterans. My opinion.
3) Only a few players died because of mechanics, not only one time it was the guy with the tag.

So there are many people on the maps that don´t want to go the extra mile, that just want some loot for autoattacking. That´s their decission.
But I pls don´t blame the few “newbies” for failures that result from an braindead autoattack attitude. There just can´t be so much lazy unexperienced player doing sw the first time and laying around dead after screwing all the boss fights.
They don´t cause breach to end 1/5 and vw 1/3.

It´s the old “easy farm” mentality.
Just wanted to get rid of that.

(edited by castor.8019)

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

I copy/paste this into map chat as needed. This usually helps get a better result..

RED – condi and kite adds away. AoE the bubbles down away from the husk.
Blue – reflect and no aoe
yellow – aoe + poison.
indigo – pop bubbles in front of teragryphs.
boss #1 Dodge in/out of the donuts. Take the bees to the honeycomb. This protects you from the lazer. DPS hard.
Boss #2 Reflect when he spins. Kill pods for OP buff. When it runs to the vinewraith, CHASE IT. Watch out for aoes later in the fight.
Boss #3 Kill flower pods and stand on the flora. DPS hard.
Lane defence: stealth/ heal/swiftness carrier. Protect/collect ammo. Light fire/use siege as needed.

Around 50%,75%,95% to breach for the first paragraph. Once during the 3 minute timer for VW for the rest. Possibly once more as each boss is about to be attacked if the map is in need of extra guidance. I deliberately don’t post every detail – because it’d be too much for noobs. Simplicity is king here. It also allows others to feel good about adding useful information to help out a map. Take care with the VW message, pause for a couple of seconds between because it becomes suppressed quite easily.

One of the biggest problems is the majority of players are under the illusion that the husk in the red tower should not be hit with aoe. This is down to people thinking the bubbles pop when killed to heal the husk. The problem is those bubbles pop when they reach the husk even if they are at 100% hp.
Sadly people have now become drilled into thinking they should not use AoEs in silverwastes. I see almost no one using AoE lately.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s easier to blame the new players. If they blame the old players then they are blaming themselves. The commanders or experienced players should be giving out instructions and getting enough people in each lane. If they are not doing that then they can’t be blaming the new people for not knowing what to do.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Boss #2 Reflect when he spins. Kill pods for OP buff. When it runs to the vinewraith, CHASE IT. Watch out for aoes later in the fight.

The pustules explode if they are touched by the poison projectiles of the boss, then they cause a huge aoe poison field that deals lots of damage. If there is enough reflects there is no reason to destroy the pustules (other than getting the buff) but usually there isn’t a perfect 100% uptime of reflects, some poison projectiles pass and lots of people die.

One of the biggest problems is the majority of players are under the illusion that the husk in the red tower should not be hit with aoe. This is down to people thinking the bubbles pop when killed to heal the husk. The problem is those bubbles pop when they reach the husk even if they are at 100% hp.

This is because some very badly informed commanders were saying “No AoE at red” when SW was new, and to the minds of lots of people this was the correct way of doing this. They never tweaked their strategy, think of how many pug players STILL think that 4 Warriors + 1 Mesmer is the best (and only) composition for dungeons

But what really made me upset was that every time the events failed people accused new players for the failure. It was all the fault of the “unexperienced”, they should “l2p”, “learn the mechanics”.

In my SW experience the new players read chat and follow rules. It’s the old “veteran” players that expect something to be done the way they want that are causing all the failures. The veterans are there for the loot and don’t know how to adapt to situations. They also expect other people to bring what is needed to finish the encounter. “People with reflects here! People with condition damage here!” all while they stand still spamming auto attacks from a distance while afk.

For example, the new players have no reason not to use aoe at red, those who are just spamming auto attacks from the safe point are the “veterans” who don’t know better, then blame the new players for their own failure.

Or at the Mangler (mid lane Vinewrath) when people die due to the poison Aoe fields because the projectiles reach the pustules. In the minds of those “veterans” reflects should be enough (and for some weird reason reflects are something other people should do, not them, they just stand still and auto-attack.

I usually pick the Mangler, on my DPS Thief it’s easy to kill some pustules myself, even if the rest of the team has tunnel vision auto attacking the boss only. A couple of people can destroy them all, while the “veterans” can continue auto attacking.

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

It’s not about skill or will or rocket science, it is about numbers.
Vinewrath fails because they are increasingly few active players on the map. Lfg posts announcing vw and the map still won’t fill up. Silverwastes was created for large numbers. Events don’t scale down. Is not possible to defend a line with 3 players.
There are several reasons why players are no longer interested to visit Sw. I won’t list them now. I would like to recall the dredge fractal effect. Once players have gone , it’s hard to get them back .

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

This isn’t the fault of veteran or newbie player; just the fault of the bad one.
I saw this trend; during the week end, the level of the playing population falls like no other day of the week.
So much than me & most of my guildies stopped to go in SW during week end because we pretty much sure that tries are doomed to fail.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

My guess is they blame new players because it’s easy.

People who are new to the game, or to the map, are unlikely to try and argue because even if they do understand the mechanics of all the fights they may not feel confident enough to get into an argument in map chat.

And to everyone else it’s an easy and obvious explanation – they’re new, of course they don’t know what’s going on. Sure it’s a little inconsiderate of them not to pick it up from the zero people who explained in map chat before or during the event, but they’ll learn. And it instantly absolves the ‘veteran’ players of any blame whatsoever so it’s all good from their perspective.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Sorry but not even “vet” follow the basic rules for this kind of boss:
– If you are dead ( not downed) you must TP.
– know the strat for the boss or at least read map chan.
Usually people will write what to do and where help is needed or don’t be afraid to ask.

Just now I saw my worst VN fail: 2 boss on 3 killed and 13 carriers left.
Top lane is about to enter except that they must resuplly carrier; they asked for help in map chan I went & tried to help refilling the carrier.
At one point I died, then TP to see the bootom lane full of dead people waiting & not refilling carriers.
We lost the 13 carriers……that was pathetic.

(edited by papry.8096)

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

The problem is afkers standing at South expecting it to win and they can stand on the ledges and get all the rewards. Troll has been failing a lot lately.

Posted by: Starlightpaw.5871

Starlightpaw.5871

New people need to ask for instructions if they don’t know what to do.

Veterans need to give instructions even when no one asks for them.

Unfortunately, there will always be the people who don’t care and just do what they want. You can’t do anything about those people. Hopefully, if you have enough people doing what they are supposed to do, those other people won’t matter as much.

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

It’s not nice to blame all the new players, but I guess I know where it comes from.
I stopped counting how often I typed into the chat what to do and what not to do at the bosses. Way too often people ignore it.
The problem is with those players who don’t even try to learn what to do, not with the newbies in general.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

After reading the chat:
– ffcckkiinn noobs (okay)
– noobs aoe’d on red (why not?)
– 90% afkers in bottom lane (not really)
– noobs, noobs, noobs (okay)

I think shut up and then ignore the chat.
Did the game tell me what to do? —- No
So: try and error

Now I know what to do. But not from the others, not from the game.

I am no “NOOOB”. I’ve learned by dying and running back
Guys calling me a NOOOB are the real NOOOBs (ego-guys). Learn human interaction!

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

The pustules explode if they are touched by the poison projectiles of the boss, then they cause a huge aoe poison field that deals lots of damage. If there is enough reflects there is no reason to destroy the pustules (other than getting the buff) but usually there isn’t a perfect 100% uptime of reflects, some poison projectiles pass and lots of people die.

I never expect enough reflects and hunt the pustules unmercifully. Especially the NW corner where there’s 3 of them tightly grouped. Those seem to be missed as players tend to stay on the S and SE side of the area.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

I’ve learned by dying and running back

If only everyone would do this. Sadly they don’t. They lay there expecting to be revived in a chaotic environment and scale up the event.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’ve learned by dying and running back

If only everyone would do this. Sadly they don’t. They lay there expecting to be revived in a chaotic environment and scale up the event.

Yah. Downed is one thing but dead takes several people to do it with any speed and with mordrem charging all around you, it’s hazardous to your health to rez the dead.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I command VW and breach quite regularly often going between breach champs depending on where I happen to be. The ones I’ve spent most time on is Copper Husk and I’ll normally be the one which jumps into the area and draws Copper’s aggro to keep him away from the bubbles. While I do that I tell the safe spot campers to AOE the bubbles down.
During VW, I’ll often command middle or bottom. I’ve usually found that people are most responsive with short simple commands.

“At start, pls get siege up and man it”
“Champ on me”
“Watch for rear spawns.”

I’ve gone down myself a few times and the best way to encourage people to way point is if the commanders do it themselves when they go down. I’ve often ended up leading a mob running back to VW.

It doesn’t matter who goes down, whether they’re a newb or a vet. If you’re dead, you’re not contributing. If you draw someone out of the fight to res you while you’re dead, you’re contributing to its failure. I make sure to point that out and I’ve had far more successful runs than not.

Posted by: Southern.8973

Southern.8973

Just to clear up one thing in your post, it’s not called the “bot” lane as in “Robot”, but as in “Bottom”. Then there’s “Mid”, then there’s “Top”.

Some people use “South”, “Mid”, “North” as well.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Maybe you have that understanding but I see people in bottom afk-ing aftyer they ’ve slain the boss, so it always seems a BOT lane to me… NOT meaning bottom. (Even to a point I was defendikng it from an arrow cart and had 2 active defenders while all others were eaten by 2 champions. Trust me, I res without hesitation, except that time. I guess some 30 ppl lay down there and were screaming bloody murder.)

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Maybe you have that understanding but I see people in bottom afk-ing aftyer they ’ve slain the boss, so it always seems a BOT lane to me… NOT meaning bottom. (Even to a point I was defendikng it from an arrow cart and had 2 active defenders while all others were eaten by 2 champions. Trust me, I res without hesitation, except that time. I guess some 30 ppl lay down there and were screaming bloody murder.)

If they’re afking only after killing their champion it may be a simple misunderstanding. They may be thinking their lane has done their part now and it’s only the other 2 that matter.

I’ve seen something similar happen where after the bottom lane has killed their champion large groups of people will abandon it to help the other lanes. They can’t get in to fight the other champions of course, but they see those defence events as more important since the bottom lane is “finished”.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”