buy gw2 eu version from australia

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

hi guys,
i had my copy of gw2 since headstart but now i would like to buy a copy for my bro.
I live in australia right now but he lives in italy and i play on eu servers.
Dunno if is cause my ip is from aussi or what but i can’t chose the version when i do the purchase process.
Do i have to rely on a reseller or is the option chosen once ingame?

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Last time i checked there was no kind of region locks. This said you could buy a EU copy and play them on US servers and vice-versa.

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There is a region-lock only in so much that you must have to correct version for the area that you plan to register your account. Once, registered, though, you can play anywhere in the world. Australia is, indeed, part of the NA region, and any copies of the game you purchase through NCSoft will be NA versions and your brother will not be able to register that copy from Italy. Perhaps, you could send him the price of the game as a gift, and let him purchase it himself. Good luck.

Edit: Come to think of it, some countries outside the EU and the North American continent were given the choice of which version to buy. I am not sure about Australia, I know ZA was given the choice. Have you tried changing the language in your browser to see if you can affect which version comes up from the website? Might be worth a try…..

Or contacting CS, they might help.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Go to an Italian web store, pay for the game, give the code to your brother. Will also prob be cheaper than though the official ANET site.

oloap.9765

well i messed it up badly guys!
i tried to buy from gw2 website but in country selection italy was not present..
i also noticed that the price was in usd even if i got to gw2 from Google.it.
Since i’m a network engineer, i figured out it was a ip lock system so i tried to use a vpn relay server in belgium and it worked! aparently…
basically i registered with my fathers email but payed with my paypal account, went to check my father’s email and hotmail tells me something suspicius was detected, basically it locked me out of my father address due to a suspicius ip lol.

so i had to confirm with a code that was gonna be sent to the alternate addres wich was my address since i made the account for them.

I admit i was stupid not to think about it, but i went to my mailbox to get the code and, no wonders, i locked that tooo! unlucky i didn’t have any alternative address but just a mobile number tha was stollen a month ago:(

had to go throu a kitten absurd web form asking me last object of sent mails, last addresse i wrote, kast password i used and a bandwagon of crap.

well you’d say i fnally had the copy at least right?
nope , probably the purchasing system detected something unsafe in their terms an i stil had nothing!!!!
next time i want to gift a game to someone i’ll code a new one myself!

(edited by oloap.9765)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, according to this, https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/27658858-Game-Regions Australia can register either version, so I would imagine you are allowed to buy either version. You might use the link at the bottom of the page to contact CS and ask them about it, telling them you would prefer to connect to the EU database servers, and then send the code along to your family member. It might be worth a try.

oloap.9765

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, according to this, https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/27658858-Game-Regions Australia can register either version, so I would imagine you are allowed to buy either version. You might use the link at the bottom of the page to contact CS and ask them about it, telling them you would prefer to connect to the EU database servers, and then send the code along to your family member. It might be worth a try.

the problem is that in the billing address drop down form was not showing the italy at all. my credit card would refuse the transaction, only na region country were selectable.

btw with the vpn gimmick i did it at the end, but i can recal a post saying that ips from publick vpn servers as the one i used were triggering some allarms in their systems, probably that’s why after hours i still didn’t receive the serial via e-mail address.
let’s hope for the best!