buying the 400 hero points with gems

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gilgil.4057

gilgil.4057

first idea i had after reading elite spec will cost 400 hero points,
is to let me buy them with gems (aka real money after buying gems)

or maybe put the elite spec unlock on TP

what do you think ?

Posted by: HwaRyun.1807

HwaRyun.1807

No.

/somethingsomethingmessagetooshort

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well let’s waste my time by playing a game…. I like gaming it’s my favorite pass time…

Hey It takes time to complete this NOOOOO!!!!1

Please make i so I don’t have to do anything… I just want to pay cash and have full completion!!! Else my pass time will take too long!!!

/sarcasm

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

No, the gem store only offers cosmetics and convenience items. Changing that would change the game and not in a good way.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Ranatoa brings up a great point: an addition like this would make it pay to win. Considering the huge backlash that something as simple as the Watchwork Mining Pick go (getting labelled as P2W), this would be even worse.

Moreover, why would you want to pay to skip part of the journey behind getting Elite Spec? It’s meant to be difficult/time consuming. If you really want the elite spec, it will mean you’re more invested in the game rather than unlocking it instantly- A-net want that, it means people are more likely to play for longer trying to unlock all of their favourite elite specs.

Surely the allure would be far smaller if you got the elite spec without any effort?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

sigh

Why do you bother playing if you just want to purchase your way to the end? You miss everything.

So..no.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

We don’t even know how hard it will be to get to the 400. Heck, my main warrior has 214 already!?!?!?!

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

No.

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

sigh

Why do you bother playing if you just want to purchase your way to the end? You miss everything.

So..no.

Just to note, buying hero points =/= missing everything. I

He still got the whole expansion content to play minus HP grinding.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

sigh

So..no.

Just to note, buying hero points =/= missing everything. I

He still got the whole expansion content to play minus HP grinding.

You miss the overarching general point to the statement. This time it’s skipping out doing HPCs so he can have the elite spec right away. Next he’ll want something else – like all the WP unlocked via gems, so he can just port around the world wherever he needs to be, missing both the content and the experience of getting to the place. Then it’ll be something else, and then something else. Once it begins, there is no end. You see it all the time in f2p p2w games.

So we’ll just nip it in the bud now.

Posted by: FallenStar.3879

FallenStar.3879

Please, next time add the “Cringe” tag to your post.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

They aren’t going to do that. That’s never been how this game works.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Wyrdfell.8327

Wyrdfell.8327

No.

Posted by: Sharona.1064

Sharona.1064

Yes… People should have the choice.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Its not P2W game so no ;D

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

I think I’m gonna get another infraction if I tell you what I really think about this, OP.

VoxL, NSPPT

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

what do you think ?

Did you ever wonder why we have that many currencies in this game? And why there is a new currency each time there’s a new event?
It’s so all participating have the “same” prerequisite, with veterans having advantages from time to time, but they’re never able to just skip that event and get to the goal at once.
The same is what happens here and why you still have to get ~200 HP to get your elite.
So maybe this “grind” has a reason, although it would be nice if there was a solution for pvp and wvw players, I agree.

Edit: Typos and stuff.

(edited by Jana.6831)

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

No. This is just a bad idea and would lead down the slope to a lot of other bad ideas.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Swagger.1459

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

yes pls. i’d even drop 20-30 bucks for that.

No, the gem store only offers cosmetics and convenience items. Changing that would change the game and not in a good way.

if exp boost is a convenience, how is a masteries unlock not? it only cuts the time. i’ve been told by everyone on this forum for the last 3 years that this is not pay to win whenever i brought it up.

sigh

So..no.

what you miss is tons of pointless grind that has no substance to it. for me this game begins at the moment that everything is unlocked and i can start playing at full efficiency. everything before that is a chore.

(edited by zaced.7948)

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

No, and please stop being lazy in the nicest way possible, buying HP’s with gems would trump map exploring and leveling up masteries thus playing the game .

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

no.

just play the kitten game. im not nice like ^.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

JediYoda.1275

no.

LOL, Well I get jumped on and infracted for the slightest hint of being rude while others attack me and nothing happens to them 9 out of 10 times.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

no.

LOL, Well I get jumped on and infracted for the slightest hint of being rude while others attack me and nothing happens to them 9 out of 10 times.

ive been there, i feel your pain =(

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

LanfearShadowflame.3189

if exp boost is a convenience, how is a masteries unlock not? it only cuts the time. i’ve been told by everyone on this forum for the last 3 years that this is not pay to win whenever i brought it up.

sigh

So..no.

what you miss is tons of pointless grind that has no substance to it. for me this game begins at the moment that everything is unlocked and i can start playing at full efficiency. everything before that is a chore.

Yes… because absolutely nothing is happening around you as you make your way to that HPC. Gotcha…

zaced.7948

sigh

So..no.

Yes… because absolutely nothing is happening around you as you make your way to that HPC. Gotcha…

i’d rather experience that with my masteries unlocked. not everybody enjoys your particular play style.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

what do you think ?

So, you really want this game to be pay to win?

Posted by: JamboHammer.4397

JamboHammer.4397

what do you think ?

So, you really want this game to be pay to win?

LOLOL that isnt even pay to win lmfaoooo if u want to grind pve for the spec thats u, we dont like pve enough to grind 200+ hero points, and buying traits and skills doesnt make it pay to win, this game is still skill based, u can go and buy full ascended gear with gems to gold and u will still get kitten on by anyone even half decent

Nsp,Gom,Mag[Yaks Bend] Asura Thief- Chronic Fangs/Asura War- Karcerus/Norn Mes- Karcmerus
Charr Ele- Mack Jack/Human Guardian- Karcian/Human Necro- Karcermancer/
Asura Rev- Kushatronium/Asura Engi- Kushatronic /Sylvari Ranger- Karcushian

zaced.7948

by the way: are the elite specs unlocked in pvp? if not that’s an absolute outrage.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

by the way: are the elite specs unlocked in pvp? if not that’s an absolute outrage.

If you own HoT then the elite specs are automatically unlocked in sPvP.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I don’t get the outrage at the game becoming pay2win. It’s always been pay to win. They literally sell us gold. Dropping enough money allows one to bypass a ton of drudgery, and look cool while doing it. If someone wants to buy their Elite spec, kittening let ’em.

Not that this is a major problem anyway. Everything we can spend real money on can also be earned by playing the game, and in a reasonable amount of time (for now, anyway. The gold -> gem exchange might skyrocket after HoT is released)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

sigh

So..no.

i’d rather experience that with my masteries unlocked. not everybody enjoys your particular play style.

Yes, I’m well aware that not everyone enjoys playing the game that they purchased to play. They just expect everything to be handed to them right at the start. Specs. Masteries. Legendaries. And then they kitten that they have nothing to do.

Go figure.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

No. How does buying your way through a game make it interesting at all?

The game might as well play itself if everything has to be bought or served with an easy button.
I’ll pass on this.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Liisjak.4509

Liisjak.4509

Wait, new specs aint free from the get go? There goes my reason for purchasing HoT.

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

They could at least enable us to use Tomes of Knowledge for the specs, not everyone enjoys grinding xp to unlock it.

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

I don’t get the outrage at the game becoming pay2win. It’s always been pay to win. They literally sell us gold. Dropping enough money allows one to bypass a ton of drudgery, and look cool while doing it. If someone wants to buy their Elite spec, kittening let ’em.

Not that this is a major problem anyway. Everything we can spend real money on can also be earned by playing the game, and in a reasonable amount of time (for now, anyway. The gold -> gem exchange might skyrocket after HoT is released)

Never pay to win. Pay to win entails you can skip past practically all content required for certain items. It’s a ‘Pay for Advantage’ which is different, and does not influence the gameplay of other individuals.

What you propose for Hero Point acquisition through Gems is actually pay to win as those who get their elite specs through this method have an inherit advantage in the gameplay over their fellow players.

So no, absolutely not.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: quercus.9261

quercus.9261

Yes I would buy it. Egalitarianism is for suckers.

zaced.7948

sigh

So..no.

Yes, I’m well aware that not everyone enjoys playing the game that they purchased to play. They just expect everything to be handed to them right at the start. Specs. Masteries. Legendaries. And then they kitten that they have nothing to do.

Go figure.

i don’t. i play the game for the joy in the game mechanics. i don’t need to be rewarded anything. the pleasure of playing is enough reward by itself.

What you propose for Hero Point acquisition through Gems is actually pay to win as those who get their elite specs through this method have an inherit advantage in the gameplay over their fellow players.

So no, absolutely not.

which advantage would that be? they don’t get to have more they just get to have the same faster. the same logic would apply to exp boosts.

(edited by zaced.7948)

Posted by: balte.2769

balte.2769

Hero Points are content to people? Laughable and pathetic.

JediYoda.1275

Many HP’s are content since several of them involve killing an bad/s, solve a riddle or clearing mobs that surrounds them unless you are lucky at the right time and they are cleared for you.

Swagger.1459

Yeah, I love this argument. The devs know this is not content, it’s for time gating, and an unnecessary one at that.

Jahroots.6791

Never pay to win. Pay to win entails you can skip past practically all content required for certain items. It’s a ‘Pay for Advantage’ which is different, and does not influence the gameplay of other individuals.

So no, absolutely not.

But Pay2Win is about having advantage. I won’t quibble on this because definitions will vary.

Also, there’s no inherent advantage. You’d have an argument if the only way to complete the Elite spec was through the gem store, but it’s not. Everyone who buys the expansion can still earn their Hero points out in the world the old fashioned way. Most of us vets are halfway there anyhow. Spending real money to save time is an integral part of GW2’s business model.

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

If you want a P2W game theres plenty. Try archage or Perfect World.

Just a flesh wound.3589

gems to unlock all waypoints (requested today)
gems for immediate level 80 (requested yesterday)
gems for mounts with 100-300% speed boost (frequent)
gems to convert PvE maps to PvE/PvP (frequent)
gems to unlock all hero points (requested today)

Just because someone wants it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. It may benefit you and other players yet be bad for the game as a whole.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Just because someone wants it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. It may benefit you and other players yet be bad for the game as a whole.

It really makes me wonder why such people play games at all if they can’t put any effort in anything ingame and have to rely on $ to get good. Really quite sad.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

I see the Hero Points for money as something they should strongly consider given how the new model punishes those who have not done world competition on the character they are seeking unlock for and it rewards those who have. World competition (or specifically the hero challenge aspect of it) was never advertised to play a role in Elite Spec unlock and has always been an optional achievement for achievement seekers who enjoy running around the game world doing everything. For many of us that really isn’t fun so we’ve gone to other parts of the game as our end-game doing WvW or PvP. For making that choice we are now being punished in HoT as we watch those who made the map completion achievement choice get to unlock their full elite trait line just a few hero challenges into HoT. How is that fair?

In WvW hero points can earned though a scroll or tome item purchased at a vendor. It unlocks “one random hero point on the map it is designated to” such an item could easily be placed in the cash shop. The Mastery’s are the progression system in GW2, it doesn’t need Mastery + Elite Spec to both be tied to some achievement (especially not tied to past achievement never associated with it) making a gem store item available to unlock the hero points would help balance things for the more casual players.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Case in point, Second iteration of the trait system

But why stop at hero points? Come on guys!

Gems to unlock all PoIs, WPs, and vistas.
Gems to unlock dungeon explorables
Gems to unlock fractal tiers
Gems to unlock pvp and wvw ranks
Gems to complete events
Gems to complete masteries

We can do sooo much more than just HP…

(edited by Serophous.9085)

Jahroots.6791

Gems to complete events

Sarcasm aside, you do realise that aside from PvP/WvW none of those things can affect anyone else’s game experience, yes?

This is probably the least competitive MMO on the market. Other people paying to gain nice things quickly and easily doesn’t stop the rest of us from earning (and enjoying) them too. For the most part, the game isn’t designed in such a way that we lose out by not spending money.

I think the general perception of P2W games affects a lot of people from considering how more convenience options would actually work in GW2.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Gems to complete events

Sarcasm aside, you do realise that aside from PvP/WvW none of those things can affect anyone else’s game experience, yes?

This is probably the least competitive MMO on the market. Other people paying to gain nice things quickly and easily doesn’t stop the rest of us from earning (and enjoying) them too. For the most part, the game isn’t designed in such a way that we lose out by not spending money.

I think the general perception of P2W games affects a lot of people from considering how more convenience options would actually work in GW2.

GEMS to get is a bad idea. It’s too close to pay to win and has repercussions in how the game is viewed and how it’s played. If achievement can be readily purchased for one thing, where does it stop? Where is the line? However an alternate method to get an ingame achievement would be acceptable as long as it’s playing to get, not buying to get.

ANet may give it to you.