can I please have a cross-hair, Anet?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Buck.7562

Buck.7562

When I’m moving around my arrow disappears, so how am I supposed to target spells? When I stop moving I have to search for the arrow because it blends in with the background, and in a battle every split second counts. Unless I remember to carefully position my arrow before moving every time I can’t be sure where my spells are going to land.

I usually expect the center of my screen to be where my spells are cast because that’s how it usually works with other games. Can’t I just have a cross-hair in the middle of the screen appear when the arrow isn’t visible and let that be my casting target?

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

turn on action camera

Posted by: Coinhead.7591

Coinhead.7591

It is a reasonable request, I would like to see it too.

A fix that you yourself can do is use a 3rd party program like YOLOmouse to replace your cursor with another, more easily spotted cursor.

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

turn on action camera

This.
Go into options and look for action camera toggle key.
Activate the camera and it will be like a skyrim-like camera, running arround with wasd and turn kamera with mouse moving.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You can also use a Windows setting to make a shrinking white circle appear around your cursor when you press and release CTRL. It doesn’t help in true split-second situations but otherwise is pretty handy.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Like said above, try Combat mode. You aim with your camera and position a dot in the center of your screen on your target. The dot turns into a crosshair when it’s on top of a target. If that doesn’t work for you then Yolomouse might be what you want.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I have a ‘kinda’ related issue, not sure if I should make a separate post, but I’ll risk posting it here in an effort to streamline the forum, and I suppose support your post in the process.

I play in 3rd person, and in some situations, I play relatively close to my character, like roughly the old default distance behind your character? There are some fights where it’s handy for me.

My issue as a staff elementalist is the long distance, ground target spells, and at certain angles, and being that close to the action, it’s hard and nitpicky to see if I have my cursor on the ground as ‘far’ out as I can. I usually have to sacrifice by not being close enough to the monster when rushed.

Taking a side step for a second, my spells have a red line under them if I’m targeting a part of the monster and I’m too far away to use that spell. Also helpful for me to re-target a different monster appendage so I’m in range, where I’m standing, so I can continue.

Now, when my cursor is away from me out on the ground and I press an area spell, I get an error message, and it won’t let me cast. My question/suggestion (quesggestion?) is: If it knows it’s going to refuse my cast where my cursor currently is away from my body, why not tell me that by putting the little red indicator bars under my spells? As I move the cursor away from me, there will be no red bar, until my cursor gets too far away, then it shows the red bars under the spells.

This would allow me to know that max distance in real ‘busy’ effects and chaos situations without having to actually see where my cursor is, relatively to identifiable things on the ground in front of me.

And maybe to cut down on the calculations, maybe make it only come on when you have something targeted and are auto-attacking with any of your other abilities? Wouldn’t want it having to recalculate that if I’m just running around not really attacking anything.

Not quite the same as yours, I know where my cursor is on the screen, I don’t know exactly where it is more precisely in the world, if that makes sense.

Edit: Oh, +1 to Donari’s suggestion. I tell people about that all the time. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than not knowing about it.

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

I have a ‘kinda’ related issue, not sure if I should make a separate post, but I’ll risk posting it here in an effort to streamline the forum, and I suppose support your post in the process.

I play in 3rd person, and in some situations, I play relatively close to my character, like roughly the old default distance behind your character? There are some fights where it’s handy for me.

My issue as a staff elementalist is the long distance, ground target spells, and at certain angles, and being that close to the action, it’s hard and nitpicky to see if I have my cursor on the ground as ‘far’ out as I can. I usually have to sacrifice by not being close enough to the monster when rushed.

Taking a side step for a second, my spells have a red line under them if I’m targeting a part of the monster and I’m too far away to use that spell. Also helpful for me to re-target a different monster appendage so I’m in range, where I’m standing, so I can continue.

Now, when my cursor is away from me out on the ground and I press an area spell, I get an error message, and it won’t let me cast. My question/suggestion (quesggestion?) is: If it knows it’s going to refuse my cast where my cursor currently is away from my body, why not tell me that by putting the little red indicator bars under my spells? As I move the cursor away from me, there will be no red bar, until my cursor gets too far away, then it shows the red bars under the spells.

This would allow me to know that max distance in real ‘busy’ effects and chaos situations without having to actually see where my cursor is, relatively to identifiable things on the ground in front of me.

And maybe to cut down on the calculations, maybe make it only come on when you have something targeted and are auto-attacking with any of your other abilities? Wouldn’t want it having to recalculate that if I’m just running around not really attacking anything.

Not quite the same as yours, I know where my cursor is on the screen, I don’t know exactly where it is more precisely in the world, if that makes sense.

Edit: Oh, +1 to Donari’s suggestion. I tell people about that all the time. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than not knowing about it.

There’s actually already something like what you’re describing. Hit F11 to open options, scroll down to the bottom.

There’s two options there, one is ‘Lock Ground Target at maximum Skill Range’ which literally makes it so that even if you’re mouse is way off in the distance behind the target, at most a ground targeted spell will show up at the maximum possible range.

There’s also ‘Snap Ground Target to Current Target’ which literally just makes ground targeted spells cast on your currently selected target. (Assuming it’s within range, of course.)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

There’s also ‘Snap Ground Target to Current Target’ which literally just makes ground targeted spells cast on your currently selected target. (Assuming it’s within range, of course.)

This is such a huge thing for me, since I mouse move and that means strafing around in combat will take my cursor away from the target most of the time. Used to be I had to stand still to drop aoe’s — with this option I am free to move.

For extra goodness, you can hotkey a toggle to put it on and off. So if I need to cast on something that is not my target, I can tap my toggle (I picked ctrl-s so I never hit it by mistake), put my missile barrier down or my fear well on adds, etc, then go back to snap-to-target without ever opening the Options menu. The only thing lacking is some sort of UI indicator to remind me whether it is on or off, other than opening Options and looking at the tick boxes.

Posted by: Buck.7562

Buck.7562

Go into options and look for action camera toggle key.
Activate the camera and it will be like a skyrim-like camera, running arround with wasd and turn kamera with mouse moving.

that was what I wanted, thank you.

the white dot is going to take getting used to though. it doesn’t really fit the UI theme.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

There’s actually already something like what you’re describing. Hit F11 to open options, scroll down to the bottom.

There’s two options there, one is ‘Lock Ground Target at maximum Skill Range’ which literally makes it so that even if you’re mouse is way off in the distance behind the target, at most a ground targeted spell will show up at the maximum possible range.

I had no idea, thank you!

Going to give that a try with Golem today!

Update: Okay, I remember that ‘snap to’ setting in hindsight, and I didn’t care for that. I just tested to see what the ‘lock at max range’ would do, and this is going to be perfect for my needs, thank you!

(edited by notebene.3190)

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

Google for GW2 Taco. It’s an overlay that has an option to “highlight mouse cursor”. What it does is draw a huge vertical and horizontal lines through where the mouse cursor is so you never lose it.