can we have some waypoints pls?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

it’s kittening annoying having to run all over the new maps again and again. if at least you could get anywhere without circling the map twenty times it wouldn’t be as bad but with every map having a million layers some waypoints would be really appreciated.
i know you’re planning to introduce mounts (according to leaks) but that’s no reason to make everything annoying by having to kittening run instead of double click.

if the xpac maps are as similar to the living story maps as hot was to sw and the other one (you know, the dead one nobody remembers) i guess i’ll pass. i don’t have time to spend hours just pressing W to get from a to b.

yeah yeah yeah unlock those kittening points with some kitten you need to spend some other kitten on. that’s just cheap content streching. just put the kittening points there and spare me the waiting kitten.

(edited by zaced.7948)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The maps already have a lot of waypoints.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Buy some shrines; they’re cheap.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

There’s not a ton of waiting involved. At 10 pearls per unlock I had three of the four open as soon as I learned it was an option, just from doing story and some map stuff. The fourth came the next day after a bit more exploration and event and achieve gathering. I left Lyssa for last since it’s easy enough to get there from the entry wp.

I only have one alt in the map so far, though, so I don’t know if it will cost 40 pearls per alt. That could get a tad frustrating.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Its a tiny map and u can unlock an additonal 4 waypoints for a total of 5. Thats more than enough, although why they didnt just use the normal system which works just fi e, is beyond me

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

you might wanna either get your brain checked or look up the definition of “a lot”.

My definition is one per major section of the map. The newest map has that.
What’s your definition?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

zaced.7948

one per section per layer and that would mean we need about three times as many as we got.

and the ones we’ve got need to bought with time gated kitten that we also need for map rewards. as far as i’m concerned we got one single waypoint.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

In terms of fast travel Siren’s Landing is much better than some of the other maps.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Remember all those requests for “account bound waypoints” that would show up from time to time?

Well here they are! Spend a little currency, and it’s unlocked for every character, at no additional cost.

It’s not even worth whining about, because it’s an amazing deal. I’m curious if this is a litmus test for the expansion.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Ayrilana.1396

one per section per layer and that would mean we need about three times as many as we got.

and the ones we’ve got need to bought with time gated kitten that we also need for map rewards. as far as i’m concerned we got one single waypoint.

No. That would be excessive.

Whether you see it as having five waypoints or one is up to you but it’s a fact that it has five. You can’t really argue against it regardless as to whether you have to purchase to unlock them or not. Other than not being able to access them outside the map, they have the exact same functionality as regular waypoints.

The map currency is incredibly easy to get. You get 15 per character. You get like 1-3 from many of the boss events. You get 1 guaranteed from every oyster node with over 20 on the map. If you bought the home instance node, that’s another 9.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Technically, you’re right: there’s only one official waypoint. On a practical based, you are ignoring the four shrine locations, which cost once per account and then are free in perpetuity for all your characters.

You’re also expecting more teleport destinations that we have on any existing map in the game, including cities (with the exception of perhaps Rata Sum).

Still, can’t argue with preferences: if that’s what you want, well, that’s what you want. I don’t happen to agree that they are necessary.

zaced.7948

they cost whatever per account or not the currency i need for buying the things that are actually meant to be the rewards for this map. per account or not, it’s a fact that i’ll have 40 less of the things i got on the other maps for stuff on the other maps with waypoints i didn’t have to buy. the other ls maps are quite kitten when it comes to waypoints but nothing compares to this disaster.

now i have to decide between map rewards and waypoints when it comes to spending the map currency? are you kittening mental? what’s next? “you can unlock this waypoint/heart/PoI/vista for only 50 gold for your whole account! what a bargain!”

(edited by zaced.7948)

Rauderi.8706

Pearls are pretty easy to get on the map. I bought all the shrine waypoints by my second evening of exploration. And I’m still sitting on 40+ of them now, after buying them all.

To address the hyperbole… For the time commitment involved, I’d estimate each shrine “costs” no more than 20 silver. So it’s more the equivalent of “would you like to pay 80 silver to unlock all the waypoints on this map for your whole account? What a bargain!” Because it is.

You want to be mad and spit expletives about it, but you can buy these extra shrine waypoints and not even be near them. You could run along the shore and in some safe areas, gather a bunch of pearls, then buy all the shrines. Not hard at all.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m not keen on unlocking WP’s with currency. I’d guess the idea of “use currency and unlock for account” is a test due to the requests to not have to run each alt to WP’s to unlock them. For my preference, I’d hope the test fails. I prefer the old system.

As to other LS3 maps, I cannot say that I find the number of WP’s light in general. While there are some core maps where you trip over WP’s all the time, there’s also others where they are considerably scarcer. At least so far, the LS3 map WP’s are not contested and thus unavailable.

Ayrilana.1396

I’m not keen on unlocking WP’s with currency. I’d guess the idea of “use currency and unlock for account” is a test due to the requests to not have to run each alt to WP’s to unlock them. For my preference, I’d hope the test fails. I prefer the old system.

As to other LS3 maps, I cannot say that I find the number of WP’s light in general. While there are some core maps where you trip over WP’s all the time, there’s also others where they are considerably scarcer. At least so far, the LS3 map WP’s are not contested and thus unavailable.

Maybe use the seasonal currency instead which in this case would be unbound magic?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m liking these account bound waypoints. It only took one play period to get all unlocked and now I can jump in to the map on any alt and play the whole map without needing to do waypoint runs. That, the waypoint runs, was a problem for me in the HoT maps. I didn’t want to bring a new alt to those maps when I only wanted to play so I stuck to the ones that had the waypoints already unlocked. I hope ANet has these account wide waypoints on all their new maps from now on.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Its a tiny map and u can unlock an additonal 4 waypoints for a total of 5. Thats more than enough, although why they didnt just use the normal system which works just fi e, is beyond me

The new system is infinitely better considering

1) these maps are irrelevant for completion purposes
2) it rewards you for playing on the map and offers a moderate goal to work towards
3) it does not cost currency to utilize past the initial investment

These 3 things alone make the new system better. Additionally it promotes a chance for them to change how movement works for the upcoming expansion. You can have much larger maps with a mixture of waypoints and shrine (exploration based) checkpoints. A win win for explorers who are always looking for something neat and average players who just want to get from A to Z fast.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Maybe use the seasonal currency instead which in this case would be unbound magic?

Then people would be able to unlock before investing any time in a new map. I think the idea is to reward you for spending a little time there by making it easier to spend more time.

Ayrilana.1396

Then people would be able to unlock before investing any time in a new map. I think the idea is to reward you for spending a little time there by making it easier to spend more time.

That’s true. I didn’t think that much into it.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

The system in Siren’s Landing is really good. The shrine waypoints are fairly quick/easy to unlock, they are account-unlocked (cool!), and using them is free. I hope to see this type of system implemented in future maps.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Not the recent ones, they haven’t.

In terms of fast travel Siren’s Landing is much better than some of the other maps.

Oh, that i agreee. That’s however mostly only because the previous maps were really bad in that regard.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

some of you may not notice that you can unlock more wp….just have to buy it. I have no idea who come up with the idea but its not player friendly at all

Ayrilana.1396

Yes they do. Well maybe with the exception of Bitterfrost.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Just a flesh wound.3589

some of you may not notice that you can unlock more wp….just have to buy it. I have no idea who come up with the idea but its not player friendly at all

How isn’t it player friendly?

1) it only takes 40 orrian pearls. You can get those in a day or two of playing. If you buy the orrian pearl node you get 9 with each daily harvest.
2) after unlock you can bring any alt to that map and have access. You no longer have to run to each one with each char.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

1) it only takes 40 orrian pearls. You can get those in a day or two of playing. If you buy the orrian pearl node you get 9 with each daily harvest.
2) after unlock you can bring any alt to that map and have access. You no longer have to run to each one with each char.

You know what takes less time than gathering 40 orrin pearls? Walking over the freakin way points. To me the new system feels like you went to a restaurant to buy a sandwich. You then go the next day to buy the sandwich and they raised the price. Is the sandwich still affordable? Of coarse. However, that is not why people will be upset about the increased prices. What you could traditionally get for free by walking over it, you now have to buy. If they want to add a way for alts to unlock way points, then they should add it as a purchase in addition to traditional way points, but most definitely not to replace it.

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

You say the purchased wp’s are accessible to all your chars, but do they still need to do the story to get there in the first place and unlock the map? It would be great if they don’t need to play the story first, as i can’t really play much gw2 atm due an incapacitated hand. So it would help if i could struggle through with one char to unlock the map and that allowed my alts to just wp there without having to do the story.

Just a flesh wound.3589

You say the purchased wp’s are accessible to all your chars, but do they still need to do the story to get there in the first place and unlock the map? It would be great if they don’t need to play the story first, as i can’t really play much gw2 atm due an incapacitated hand. So it would help if i could struggle through with one char to unlock the map and that allowed my alts to just wp there without having to do the story.

No, you can’t post in using those waypoints. Truthfully, I didn’t do the story at all. I used a teleport to a friend to jump to the map for my first char and then used the portal scroll you can buy from a vendor to take my other chars there.

Siren’s Landing portal scroll. 1000 unbound magic and 50 silver.

So once you get there you can buy a portal scroll to get all your alts to that map. In addition, that same vendor sell a Living World Portal tome that you can use to put all your Living Story map portal scrolls in to make one single gizmo with multi portal use.

ANet may give it to you.

Just a flesh wound.3589

You know what takes less time than gathering 40 orrin pearls? Walking over the freakin way points. To me the new system feels like you went to a restaurant to buy a sandwich. You then go the next day to buy the sandwich and they raised the price. Is the sandwich still affordable? Of coarse. However, that is not why people will be upset about the increased prices. What you could traditionally get for free by walking over it, you now have to buy. If they want to add a way for alts to unlock way points, then they should add it as a purchase in addition to traditional way points, but most definitely not to replace it.

You know what you could try? You could collect Orrian Pearls on your way to those waypoints, unlock it once you get there and then have it unlocked for all your alts so they can just leap to those waypoints without having to first run to them.

By the way, if you get the Home Instance Orrian Pearl node and then go and collect it you’ll get 9 Pearls right then. Those 40 Pearls will be paid off fast enough the 270 Pearls a month node.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

TexZero.7910

You know what you could try? You could collect Orrian Pearls on your way to those waypoints, unlock it once you get there and then have it unlocked for all your alts so they can just leap to those maps without having to run to them.

By the way, if you get the Home Instance Orrian Pearl node and then go and collect it you’ll get 9 Pearls right then. Those 40 Pearls will be paid off fast enough the 270 Pearls a month node.

You know whats even faster than that ?

Playing the map. You dont even have to buy the node….Literally grab yourself a harvesting sickle and go complete the story once you land in the map. Doing so will have you completing each heart this means you get 5 chance to buy pearls for karma. As well as jumping into the reliquary for another shot to get upto 51 pearls. More than enough to buy each shrine. That’s before even touching the (20 ? Not entirely sure on the exact number) you get just for finishing the story.

Just a flesh wound.3589

You know what you could try? You could collect Orrian Pearls on your way to those waypoints, unlock it once you get there and then have it unlocked for all your alts so they can just leap to those maps without having to run to them.

Playing the map. You dont even have to buy the node….Literally grab yourself a harvesting sickle and go complete the story once you land in the map. Doing so will have you completing each heart this means you get 5 chance to buy pearls for karma. As well as jumping into the reliquary for another shot to get upto 51 pearls. More than enough to buy each shrine. That’s before even touching the (20 ? Not entirely sure on the exact number) you get just for finishing the story.

Oh yeah. I completely forgot about being able to buy Pearls with Karma. Good point.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Thinking about this, i’m not against having to pay for access, but my main concern with this, is how do u link wp’s to your friends/guildies etc to join u at particular part of the map for event or w/ever, when everyone needs to have these unlocked individually. I’m sure these wp’s will only be visible and accessible to you, the owner of the wp.

To me, big part of gw2 experience is being able to quickly link a wp to ppl in the world and individual maps to get to the events, guild missions etc. How’s this gonna work and improve the community experience that are meant to work together in many cases?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Thinking about this, i’m not against having to pay for access, but my main concern with this, is how do u link wp’s to your friends/guildies etc to join u at particular part of the map for event or w/ever, when everyone needs to have these unlocked individually. I’m sure these wp’s will only be visible and accessible to you, the owner of the wp.

To me, big part of gw2 experience is being able to quickly link a wp to ppl in the world and individual maps to get to the events, guild missions etc. How’s this gonna work and improve the community experience that are meant to work together in many cases?

They are visible to all who have opened one up and I think they are visible even if you haven’t, although I can’t swear to it. I remember they were visible when I was standing by the vendor debating which one to buy first.

No, they don’t ping but that should be something the Devs can change. It wouldn’t hurt to make that an request in the QoL thread as that is something the game needs.

ANet may give it to you.

TexZero.7910

You can link the shrine, It’s not hard.

Xstein.2187

Or if it was traditional WPts you could just walk over them, do exactly what you say, and then put those extra pearls towards a new back piece skin instead. Once again, point is not that it can’t be done or the difficulty, but that its faster just to walk over the WPts and doesn’t cost any currency that you could ultimately put towards other items instead while in previous episodes it was completely free.

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Third try at editing this:

Except traditional Waypoints cost currency to use, and Shrines do not.

Ultimately, one can/will purchase all the map currency-items, but Waypoints/Shrines will always have a use.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Xstein.2187

Except tradition Waypoint cost currency to use, and Shrines do not.

So why not add a mix like I mentioned before. You could still have the option to unlock it traditionally for those who like the old way while also having the ability to buy the wp for other characters and use the shrine indefinitely.

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, don’t buy them until you have purchased all the backpacks, etc.

I don’t see the point of having them unlocked for one character only at no initial cost, but with cost-for-use, if one is planning to purchase it for other characters.

Regardless, good luck on your suggestion. I hope the Devs can spend the time to make both ways possible.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Actually, the new maps haven’t. There is a definite trend towards fewer waypoints. I have no idea why they would think this is a good idea.

Xstein.2187

So, don’t buy them until you have purchased all the backpacks, etc.

I don’t see the point of having them unlocked for one character only at no initial cost, but with cost-for-use, if one is planning to purchase it for other characters.

Regardless, good luck on your suggestion. I hope the Devs can spend the time to make both ways possible.

There are multiple reasons why someone might like the old system more.
1. If you buy the back pieces first then you don’t have way points that entire time you play to earn them.
2. If you do not plan to bring multiple different characters into the new map then you gain no benefit from the alt perk.
3. If for some reason you don’t like the new/next living story map and just want to get the story done because you like story content then you are forced to either do the whole story without waypoints or spend more time in a map you don’t like for way point currency before you play the story.
4. With the old system, if your new to the map and went over the way point previously and die during an event than you get the option of way pointing with a currency you had access to before the new map claim out (coins). However, you don’t start a new map with any on the new map currency so you might go to an area, die, then find out you don’t have enough currency to buy the way point, leading to an inconvenience for you that could have been avoided if the old system was in place.

There are multiple reasons some players may like the old system better. I just listed some of the examples I could think of. Mixing the system would give players both options. I also think its fine to experiment with stuff like this every so often for new maps. However, I would just rather not see the same system in all future LS4 maps.

spoiler/leak
Since you can see there are multiple way points/not temples in the leaked expansion 3 maps

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually, the new maps haven’t. There is a definite trend towards fewer waypoints. I have no idea why they would think this is a good idea.

Unless they were perhaps thinking of adding mounts.

Rauderi.8706

Oh, I love analogies!

See, for me, I did a bunch of work for a day, went to the sandwich shop on the corner, and bought a sandwich.
Then, I gave the clerk a fistful of dollars to have orders sent to their three other locations in the city. The sandwich shop was so taken aback at my loyalty that they decided to give me (and everyone in my company) free sandwiches at all their locations.
What an awesome deal! My coworkers and I are going to that sandwich shop every day now! I mean, it’s a shame they stopped giving out free samples, but now I’m a part of Sandwich Club™ and I’m lov-.. er, really like it!

Many alts; handle it!

Xstein.2187

Oh, I love analogies!

See, for me, I did a bunch of work for a day, went to the sandwich shop on the corner, and bought a sandwich.
Then, I gave the clerk a fistful of dollars to have orders sent to their three other locations in the city. The sandwich shop was so taken aback at my loyalty that they decided to give me (and everyone in my company) free sandwiches at all their locations.
What an awesome deal! My coworkers and I are going to that sandwich shop every day now! I mean, it’s a shame they stopped giving out free samples, but now I’m a part of Sandwich Club™ and I’m lov-.. er, really like it!

More like it typically costs $3 to get a sandwich. However, you only rarely feel like sandwiches and are only going because you heard they came out with a new type of sandwich that sounds good. You go in and they tell you that you can only get a sandwich for 40 British pounds. However, after this you get sandwiches for free at all our shops. You then tell them that you don’t have British pounds, you only rarely feel like sandwiches, and you only have U.S. dollars. None of their other shops are close to you and you haven’t ate all day and are therefore very hungry. In fact, there is no other restaurants around this shop. They say tuff luck, we only except pounds now, however all employers offer the option of pay in British pounds instead of dollars now. We are also going to come out with new sandwiches in the future. However, we may also change the currency to something else, like the Japanese Yen. This currency will also be offered by employers but you won’t know what the currency is till the new sandwich is released and employers won’t be able to pay you with it before hand. You then explained to the staff why you liked their old system better, even though you can get free sandwiches with the new system at all their shops. . . . unless it is a new sandwich of course.

TexZero.7910

Or if it was traditional WPts you could just walk over them, do exactly what you say, and then put those extra pearls towards a new back piece skin instead. Once again, point is not that it can’t be done or the difficulty, but that its faster just to walk over the WPts and doesn’t cost any currency that you could ultimately put towards other items instead while in previous episodes it was completely free.

Untrue it cost currency to use the waypoints every time you desire. This is quire literally a 1 time optional investment, that is account wide.

You want a waypoint ? Pay the pearls and have for every character, even future ones for the one time low cost of 10 pearls. Not only that, you never have to use the pearls again for anything else other than your precious skins which by the way, i have no idea what your complaint is considering you’re going to need 250 (for 1). If in your mind its not sane to purchase these waypoints once for 40 pearls then you need to be taught cost analysis because someone failed you.

Xstein.2187

Untrue it cost currency to use the waypoints every time you desire. This is quire literally a 1 time optional investment, that is account wide.

You want a waypoint ? Pay the pearls and have for every character, even future ones for the one time low cost of 10 pearls. Not only that, you never have to use the pearls again for anything else other than your precious skins which by the way, i have no idea what your complaint is considering you’re going to need 250 (for 1). If in your mind its not sane to purchase these waypoints once for 40 pearls then you need to be taught cost analysis because someone failed you.

I was referring to Orrian pearls are a totally different currency then coins. Your entire last paragraph is also responding to something I didn’t even say. I never said that it is not worth buying the waypoints. I said that I liked the old system better and explained why it works better for me.

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I would not be surprised that this “new” method of activating waypoints will be a thing for the future expansion and LW stories since the Asura have no presence there. Rata Novus was a key location in the Heart of Maguuma area, Draconis Mons, with other locals just off the main maps so it makes world building sense that the Asurians set up WPs everywhere.

This part of the world is likely “new” with nobody ever venturing there in the last couple hundred of years from our part of the world. So I imagine a new means of fast travel needs to be introduced.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

zaced.7948

Unless they were perhaps thinking of adding mounts.

leaks say they will add mounts. leaks are probably correct. this is just a shady way to push their mount sales.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

It’s posts like these where I just know, no matter how easy arenanet makes maps, someone will not get it and complain.

The new map is tiny, well interconnected and has 1 official and 4 additional waypoints which unlock per account meaning all your future characters have instant access to them. Combine that with movement masteries from HoT and you can reach every location on the map within minutes.

This is you m8, not the map.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

It’s posts like these where I just know, no matter how easy arenanet makes maps, someone will not get it and complain.

The new map is tiny, well interconnected and has 1 official and 4 additional waypoints which unlock per account meaning all your future characters have instant access to them. Combine that with movement masteries from HoT and you can reach every location on the map within minutes.

This is you m8, not the map.

It feels more like some players can’t stand any change to the game whatsoever. But I agree, account based waypoints free after the initial cost are so good.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yes they do. Well maybe with the exception of Bitterfrost.

The last one is okay, if we consider shrines to be waypoints (i don’t, but i agree that may be debatable). Bloodstone Fen is passable. Bitterfrost however is really bad. So is Draconic Mons (seriously, there are places there for which the closest waypoint is on the other side of the map). And while Lake Doric and Ember Bay are a bit better, they aren’t any good either.

So, you have 1 (maybe 2) out of 6 that are either ok or barely passable, 2 that are really bad, and 2(3) that are moderately bad.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I prefer what we get with the new map. If you are REALLY dead-set against them you get one character-bound WP just by entering the map. Meanwhile if you run around the shore gathering pearls you can then head up to a merchant and unlock an account-bound spot. The big difference is it is *****FREE***** to use thereafter. Say I do not do much and use 5 teleports per day. In a couple weeks that is a gold that I saved. How much do people think pearls are worth? Shrines are a STEAL, especially since you do not need to run around with all of your alts unlocking them.