character name unique to all servers?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: thismeansnothing.5831

thismeansnothing.5831

I am trying to create a new character, but the name i have been using in EVERY game and has never ever been unavailable, is now unavailable….do i need to choose a different server or is the name availability unique to all servers?

thanks

thismeansnothing.5831

any help here? trying to finish character creation…thanks

Posted by: Elesare.5604

Elesare.5604

I am trying to create a new character, but the name i have been using in EVERY game and has never ever been unavailable, is now unavailable….do i need to choose a different server or is the name availability unique to all servers?

thanks

Yes, the names are unique across all servers. Only one person is allowed to have a given name.

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Names are unique across all servers.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

thismeansnothing.5831

great, and now i find out that since i already selected a server, even though i have not yet finished character creation, i have to wait 7 days to try to get my name on another server? are you serious? I am also quite upset that after paying $60 for this game, i cannot join my friends server……. seriously? these are both MMO firsts… never heard of these limitations…

thismeansnothing.5831

thanks

Yes, the names are unique across all servers. Only one person is allowed to have a given name.

thanks for your response. So we cannot use numbers, so i need to create some horrible name just to play? The whole point of being in an MMO is creating the name you want…if there are 10 million people playing and ALL must have unique names, then there is literally no good names available?

i guess i will be left with a name that looks like a gold farmer… awesome job! i am so excited for all of these surprises after buying the game…just awesome….

Elesare.5604

great, and now i find out that since i already selected a server, even though i have not yet finished character creation, i have to wait 7 days to try to get my name on another server? are you serious? I am also quite upset that after paying $60 for this game, i cannot join my friends server……. seriously? these are both MMO firsts… never heard of these limitations…

No, only one person can have a name in the entire game. It doesn’t matter what server. Just pick your name and transfer later. Unless I’m misunderstanding you.

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

I repeat: Names are unique across all servers.

Choosing another server won’t help you at all, you have to pick another name.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

Just add/change middle and last name

Elesare.5604

thanks

thanks for your response. So we cannot use numbers, so i need to create some horrible name just to play? The whole point of being in an MMO is creating the name you want…if there are 10 million people playing and ALL must have unique names, then there is literally no good names available?

i guess i will be left with a name that looks like a gold farmer… awesome job! i am so excited for all of these surprises after buying the game…just awesome….

Well, you can have spaces and all up to a certain number of total characters (counting the spaces), so you can be This Means Nothings, ThisMeans Nothing, etc., although I can’t recall the exact number of characters allowed off-hand.

Posted by: Sinfullysweet.4517

Sinfullysweet.4517

Hopefully this might help. When naming my toons I used:
Sin the Explosive
Sin the Insane
Sin the Chef
Goddess of Decay
Etc etc. Use descriptive words =) Not sure if it will help in your case but just a suggestion!

[OTG] ~ [GAME]~ [ROAM]~[AUTH]~ [LOFT]
Current Home: Yaks Bend Former Home: Maguuma/TC/SBI
Sin’s Characters on Gw2efficiency

thismeansnothing.5831

Hopefully this might help. When naming my toons I used:
Sin the Explosive
Sin the Insane
Sin the Chef
Goddess of Decay
Etc etc. Use descriptive words =) Not sure if it will help in your case but just a suggestion!

all good suggestions… still frustrating that i have to spend so much time on a name and then there is a hidden timer on character creation.. i have had to start over many times because i cant get passed the character name… because every name has been taken….

Posted by: Ayane Hajinmon.9165

Ayane Hajinmon.9165

hmmm would something like this help?
X Ayane X
I I Ayane I I

i see people doing that

thismeansnothing.5831

X Ayane X
I I Ayane I I

i see people doing that

thanks… that is very good advice!

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

I’m pretty partial to adding Sir, Lord, or Lord Master to the front of the name. I’ve had a friend put his last name on each of his characters. At least we know it’s him! haha!

Posted by: Ayane Hajinmon.9165

Ayane Hajinmon.9165

X Ayane X
I I Ayane I I

i see people doing that

thanks… that is very good advice!

No problem…im glad it helped

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

X Ayane X
I I Ayane I I

i see people doing that

Ugh I so hate using these kinds of gimmicks to get a name, or worse numbers….
I go as far as to refuse adding such people to my contact list, or run party/group content with such people, it is such a hassle.

If a name is taken come up with another more original one would be my advice.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

You get 19 characters – probably for chat bandwidth optimization the same way twitter does it. 19 character name + 140 character message = 159 characters which fits in the header so no bandwidth wasted. Or whatever.

I hate decorating a simple name with additional characters like that. I go out of my way to have a creative name that somehow fits into 19 characters without making it all one word in GW2. In GW1 it was just something with Puppy in it. In GW2 I’m trying something different and creating story characters with a theme name.

I know what it’s like to have a name that others have. My real name is very famous, there are 4 other people in my little city that have my name, 2 of them have my middle name so the only thing that differentiates me is my social security number…

It’s really funny however that all of our character names have numbers after them making the assumption that others can use the same name but it isn’t true, those are just arbitrary numbers assigned because someone thought it would be good for some process that doesn’t really care.

Misty Windwalker
Misty the Air Bender

Got a sylvari? look up plant names and mix it with profession synonyms or adjectives.
Rose Thornblade

Norn are all about their story so name it what you like to do.
Wendy Wurmskinner
Jorval the Drunken

Asura are a little more complicated. Mechanics and ’mancies.
Zerk the Redshirt

Charr are all about their warbands so there isn’t that much needed for them.
Grovlak Ironhand

Humans have always been abstract so they’re the most creative but legacy as you can get.
You already know how to name a human…

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Another option some people use for character name is use oddball characters, such as letters with diacritical marks.

It can be a bother because people have trouble whispering or /invite mùlçh because people don’t know how to make the ù.

With surname(s), there’s a lot better chance you can find a good name that’s not yet duplicated.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

This is one reason why there was so many people in the pre-purchase headstart launch – upping your chances of getting that one of a kind name