check out the justification for level gating.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

http://dulfy.net/2014/09/11/gw2-colin-johanson-on-the-new-player-experience/

For those who are too lazy to read, basically, " folks, our ideas are AWESOME, we didn’t anything wrong at all, no apology here, it’s those BUGS’ fault "

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

http://dulfy.net/2014/09/11/gw2-colin-johanson-on-the-new-player-experience/

For those who are too lazy to read, basically, " folks, our ideas are AWESOME, we didn’t anything wrong at all, no apology here, it’s those BUGS’ fault "

I get the feeling more and more that even if every dev which could be named would get a YouTube video of them being flogged in public while screaming “it was all a terrible idea and we’re sorry”, everyone would still want more.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

not that i’m saying you are wrong, but for this particular feature, no one was wanting it, or asking for it, or even thought of it. They came up with it on their own and messed it up royally, judging by the level of backlash that rivals those of Scarlet.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well, something did mess up. But it becomes tiresome to continue to see people go “bugs, yes, mmhmm” and not-call them liars with more words than is needed.

It makes me sad to watch Chris work himself trying to engage people and there’s basically a crowd going “mmmhmm, right, they still suck”.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

They came up with it on their own and messed it up royally, judging by the level of backlash that rivals those of Scarlet.

NPE is worse than Scarlet. Scarlet at least had an awesome voice actress.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

not that i’m saying you are wrong, but for this particular feature, no one was wanting it, or asking for it, or even thought of it. They came up with it on their own and messed it up royally, judging by the level of backlash that rivals those of Scarlet.

So let’s think about this. Carefully.

No one wanted this. No one likes it. No one asked for it. Yet a company goes ahead and does it. Makes a huge bunch of changes, and it is huge…for what reason? To do nothing? Because they have nothing else to work on?

Or maybe, just maybe, they know something you don’t, and without knowing that something, you can’t judge whether or not this is justified.

Colin said, straight out, that retaining new players as they level isn’t good and that they’ve tested this and this system does better. Every MMO needs new players, because natural attrition exists. Even if 20% of the playerbase hated this change and left, it wouldn’t be enough to stop the change from going through, if it was going to get more new players into the game, to stay in the game longer.

Businesses do things for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with what existing players want. Sometimes they do it because its’ good for business. And if it’s good for the business, the game will have more long term success, even without the people who don’t like it.

It’s a gamble like everything else, but if you think Anet made this change without any data or forethought, I don’t know what to tell you.

Posted by: OrcasWorld.3271

OrcasWorld.3271

No one wanted this. No one likes it. No one asked for it. Yet a company goes ahead and does it. Makes a huge bunch of changes, and it is huge…for what reason? To do nothing? Because they have nothing else to work on?

Or maybe, just maybe, they know something you don’t, and without knowing that something, you can’t judge whether or not this is justified.

Colin said, straight out, that retaining new players as they level isn’t good and that they’ve tested this and this system does better. Every MMO needs new players, because natural attrition exists. Even if 20% of the playerbase hated this change and left, it wouldn’t be enough to stop the change from going through, if it was going to get more new players into the game, to stay in the game longer.

Businesses do things for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with what existing players want. Sometimes they do it because its’ good for business. And if it’s good for the business, the game will have more long term success, even without the people who don’t like it.

It’s a gamble like everything else, but if you think Anet made this change without any data or forethought, I don’t know what to tell you.

Vayne, I agree with you, you’re spot on.
The toughest decision any business has to make is what customer segments they’re NOT going to go after. Businesses that don’t make that decision, and try to please everyone, go downhill. It’s just not possible.
But it’s not fun to find out you’re in that not-wanted segment, especially when there’s a lot about the product that you love. And that’s what all the screaming is about.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Vayne, I agree with you, you’re spot on.
The toughest decision any business has to make is what customer segments they’re NOT going to go after. Businesses that don’t make that decision, and try to please everyone, go downhill. It’s just not possible.
But it’s not fun to find out you’re in that not-wanted segment, especially when there’s a lot about the product that you love. And that’s what all the screaming is about.

Most of the screaming, 90% of it, is about the NPE and I’m 100% sure most people didn’t try it with an open mind. It is simply not that bad. It really isn’t. The only way people can make it that bad is if they make stuff up about it.

It limits you very little for a relatively short period of time and that’s it. In the mean time you get rewards for the character all the way up until 80.

The personal story changes make sense from a story telling perspective, because people did complain that the personal story is disjointed and this actually solves that problem.

People always have trouble adapting to new stuff, but the longer this goes the more people get used to it, the less bad it seems.

Anet will adjust it a bit, probably not too much, but a bit, and life will go on.

The bottom line is that if the game doesn’t have new player retention it won’t be here in a couple of years and that helps nobody.

Posted by: OrcasWorld.3271

OrcasWorld.3271

Most of the screaming, 90% of it, is about the NPE and I’m 100% sure most people didn’t try it with an open mind.

You may well be right. I think I did go in with an open mind, however: last week, pre-FP, I leveled an alt up. Then I tried it again with another alt post-FP. Comparing the two experiences, I have to say that post-FP was far more frustrating, and far more boring, than pre-FP.

It is simply not that bad. It really isn’t. The only way people can make it that bad is if they make stuff up about it.

It limits you very little for a relatively short period of time and that’s it. In the mean time you get rewards for the character all the way up until 80.

I disagree. It really is that bad. Okay, not as awful as some on the forum say it is, but it’s bad. It’s turned something that was fun into something frustrating and boring. I don’t play games to be frustrated and bored.

People always have trouble adapting to new stuff, but the longer this goes the more people get used to it, the less bad it seems.

Well, I was apprehensive about the April feature pack, but I had no trouble adapting to it. So I find it difficult to believe that that’s the issue here, at least for me.

Anet will adjust it a bit, probably not too much, but a bit, and life will go on.

Agreed. But to use myself as an example, I’ve not logged into the game since a few hours after the feature pack. Whether or not I ever do again depends on those adjustments. I suspect I’m going to be in that unwanted segment, but I’ll continue to check the release notes and the forum for info to make that decision.

The bottom line is that if the game doesn’t have new player retention it won’t be here in a couple of years and that helps nobody.

Agreed. For some of us, it’s simply a matter of whether we care if it’s here or not. If we’re in that unwanted segment, I suggest we don’t.