confused how mega server works

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Left before it was implemented. Then came back when they introduced guesting, left again but I don’t think its the same thing we have now…

So there is like one version of all the zones (unless it overflows then a new copy is made,) except for wvw right?

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

Pretty much that.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Why do I still see an option to guest to different servers?

I remember you used to be able to guest to a different server and there bosses and the like would be on a different timer.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

New megaserver maps are made when the server feels the current ones are at a comfortable population. Which megaservers you get put in is influenced by the server you’re on, the guild you’re in, and people on your friends list.

Edit: Yes, which server you’re on also includes guesting.

(edited by Lazaar.9123)

Posted by: Samuel Loretan.8601

Samuel Loretan.8601

Hi!

You should read this blog post. Things have evolved since then, but the general design is still relevant: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-megaserver-system/

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Example:

Suppose you’re in Sparkfly Fen. It can support a maximum of 150 players (not sure if that’s the actual cap, but works for the example).

Once the map reaches the cap, the system creates another instance of the same zone, and starts filling it up. Repeat for as many instances as necessary.

At some point, people will leave the map. When the player count drops below a certain threshold, the map is flagged for closure, and the instance will be removed in an hour. During that time, players still on the instance are given the option to transfer to another instance with a little buff.

While multiple instances of a map are running, players can switch between them using the Party system. Party members almost always end up on the same instance of a map, unless the map fills up and one player ends up on another instance. That party member can still try to join the instance with the rest of their group (assuming it’s not hard capped – which won’t let any more players into the map until someone leaves). On the flip side, the players who are on a full map can switch to any emptier map that one of their party members is on. This is particularly used for switching to Silverwastes maps to redo Breach events a bit quicker than starting a fresh map.

As an aside:

It would be nice if you were able to have a drop down menu where you can simply select the instance you want to join (assuming it’s not full) without relying on taxiing in. Basically the districts system in Guild Wars 1. I think the reason why it wasn’t done was due to differences in how the servers worked in comparison to GW1, not sure if that’s changed since the megaserver system was implemented.

(edited by Rashy.4165)

Posted by: Derigar.7810

Derigar.7810

Megaservers are amazing if you’re on a low population server. If you find little to no people to play or talk with, the system will automatically place you in a server that has more people in it.
I think that is what megaservers are, in short. I could be wrong though, haha!

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Megaservers are amazing if you’re on a low population server.

Megaservers are the bane of your playing experience if you prefer a low population server.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Personally, I like the increased population of certain events. But I sorely miss my old community and the familiar faces. The trade-off wasn’t worth it.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Personally, I like the increased population of certain events. But I sorely miss my old community and the familiar faces. The trade-off wasn’t worth it.

I have to agree with you.

Megaservers are a bad answer to a good question.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

From my own experiments with guesting it does still make a difference in most situations.

Maybe not if you’re playing on an out of the way map at off-peak times, when there may only be one or two copies per region. But from what I’ve seen most maps are busy enough that there will be a few copies running, and what server you’re playing on will affect which one you end up on.

This is most noticeable if you’re in the EU region and guest to a server with a different language, you will end up on maps where the majority of players speak that language.

Although other things – mainly your party, your guild and your friends list (in that order I think) also affect what server you end up on.

For example if I represent one particular guild and guest to Piken Square I almost always end up on the same copy of the map as the one guy in my guild who is on that server, even if we’re not in the same party.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Personally I would like it if you are rebooted from a (full) map, your entry on that servermap is saved for the next 2 or 3 minutes so you get back on exactly the same servermap if you relog in – in time. In other words: rebooted players cannot be replaced by new ones during that period of time because they get a chance to get back within a time frame.

Posted by: SpiritualAwakening.5347

SpiritualAwakening.5347

Megaservers are amazing if you’re on a low population server. If you find little to no people to play or talk with, the system will automatically place you in a server that has more people in it.
I think that is what megaservers are, in short. I could be wrong though, haha!

I agree. I remember when you’d be in certain zones alone. I like always seeing ppl wherever I’m at. Only time its an issue is when there are too many folks trying to do the same heart but there aren’t enough items/kills available for everyone to get progress.