damage question

damage question

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eddbopkins.2630

Eddbopkins.2630

you have resistance to physical damage by armor, why isnt there a stat for resistance against condition damage, and condition duration decrease runes or food does not count for me.

(edited by Moderator)

damage question

Eddbopkins.2630

you have resistance to physical damage by armor, why isnt there a stat for resistance against condition damage, and condition duration decrease runes or food does not count for me anyway.

damage question

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

You DO have cond duration decrease runes: Runes of Melandru and lots of food

EDIT: I’m stupid and can’t read, nvm

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

damage question

Eddbopkins.2630

if you have read the entire sentence or two i posted it says runes and food dont apply to this question. they have a stat the mitigates physical damage, why not have one that mitigates condi as well. it makes seance to me. if it doesnt please explain.

(edited by Eddbopkins.2630)

damage question

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Yeah, sorry, I realized that a bit too late :P

Yeah, there is nothing specialized for condition damage now.
Vitality usually counters condition, but it also helps against direct damage.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

damage question

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Conditions are armor ignoring in their damage.

The direct counter for conditions is simply uping your vitality stat.
Just like you up your toughness to counter direct physical damage.

Both of which are armor stats.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

damage question

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

There are also quite a few traits that can reduce or outright nullify some conditions.
There is also a boon called Resistance. Anet wanted condition defense to be more active and dynamic. A semi-passive condi build vs a mostly/entirely passive condi defense build sounds boring. A stat that could render an entire category of builds useless would be bad for the game. That’s why Diamond Skin was recently changed. Also, Vitality is a stat that works how you’re asking and then some, against damaging condis anyway.

damage question

Eddbopkins.2630

thanks for all the replys, i feel there should be a stat just for condi damage mitigation just like there is for physical damage. to me it just makes sense

damage question

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

thanks for all the replys, i feel there should be a stat just for condi damage mitigation just like there is for physical damage. to me it just makes sense

And why is that? Do you really want condition and direct damage to work as similar as possible?

To counter direct damage you have armor and protection while condition have resistance and condi clear. I prefer it that way, than to make everything the same. As long as it’s balanced and the situation on that issue is way better now than it was before. Still a lot of work to do but balance is a never ending battle anyway.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

damage question

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Because conditions are balanced around the absence of such resistance, while direct damage is balanced around the existence of such resistance. Besides, things like condition removal and the ‘Resistance’ boon exist. You can’t just point at one thing and say: why does this work this way? You have to see everything in relation to everything else.

damage question

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

In a sense vitality is defence against condition damage. Yes it works against physical damage too, but not as effectively as armor does. Whereas because condition damage ignores armor increasing your health (through vitality) increases your defence.

Although there are also far more skills that remove conditions than to make you immune to physical damage, which is also a factor.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

damage question

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

vitality vs conditions is mostly an illusion,

I think to a modest extent healing and most of all condition removal will be better.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

damage question

Eddbopkins.2630

i usually play ele and war, with ele i sometimes run the fire trait and have cleaning fire traited and in the utility, when you clear 6 condition and then immediately get those same 6 condis back on you it all seems pointless to have condi clear in the end. So by having something like how armor is to physical damage, it may help with the constant application of condis in the long run.

damage question

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Burst damage requires mitigation because it is instantaneous.

Damage over Time requires countermeasures because it is prolonged.

Shortening the time whether by curing the condition is equivalent to completely blocking an attack. The two avenues of offense give a way for players to avoid hard counters and therefore be either invincible or nigh so.

damage question

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Your counter to Conditions is a combo of high Vitality and healing Power + Regen.

The idea is to stack high Health Pools so that you can outlive a Condi Burst, Cleanse, and react. Since Cleanse is rather limited on most classes (Except Ele and Guard) Regen is a stop gap for everyone else. Also the Regen helps with classes that just reapply condi after condi.

its one of the reasons I would like to see the following stat combos on Armor.

Power/Condi
Healing Point
Precision
Toughness/Vitality

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

damage question

Posted by: Claudia De Anar.6304

Claudia De Anar.6304

Your counter to Conditions is a combo of high Vitality and healing Power + Regen.

The idea is to stack high Health Pools so that you can outlive a Condi Burst, Cleanse, and react. Since Cleanse is rather limited on most classes (Except Ele and Guard) Regen is a stop gap for everyone else. Also the Regen helps with classes that just reapply condi after condi.

This speaks to a question I’ve had myself, but it seems to me, healing power has very little in fight impact; of course I may just be spec’d wrong there.

And as an Ele I do cycle water, and cast my staffs to area heals on myself or my party; but Im likely to loose those points gained almost as fast as the original cast time, and the cool downs are really long. I Would appreciate a little more info link or otherwise on how to optimise in fight regen.

So far the best cure for Condi I have found is Kill the Necro, but given the games really short respawn times, even that only does so much good. C.

Claudia de Anar: An Equal Oppertunity Massacre.