does gw2 utilize 4 cores?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Redxon.6832

Redxon.6832

on quad core processors? or just 2 cores?

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

i’d be surprised if it uses more than 1, really…

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Erus Keb.8379

Erus Keb.8379

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

It’s using all 6 of my cores for the 50 or so threads it spawns at around 50%, so yes, it uses multiple cores.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It uses all 4 of my cores in my Quad-Core. There are gadgets/apps/sidebar tools you can use to monitor your CPU core usage, if you want to check yours.

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

It’s using all 6 of my cores for the 50 or so threads it spawns at around 50%, so yes, it uses multiple cores.

Typical misconception here.

Your computer distributes the load evenly but only once core can run one thread at a time. So if you look at the task manager you are not really seeing what is happening. Only 3 cores are doing work at a single time – that is why your CPU is only 50% utilized and therefore horrible for GW2. A tricore CPU with better clock speeds would do a much better job and be cheaper.

The main GW2 thread takes a lot of CPU power – in zergs not even the fastest OCed CPUs can not keep up with it to draw more than 30 FPS at high settings.

Intel has better single core speeds and that is why AMD CPUs fare so much worse in this game. Anything beyond 4 cores is a complete waste for this game. What matters is clock speed preferably in excess of 4GHz.
Here is a good CPU ranking list for GW2:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

A modern OS will distribute work across as many cores as there are in you system. The question really should be does the game generate enough work to keep 4 cores totally busy. The answer to that is often no, two to three cores worth of work spread over the number of cores you have but it can peak at times over three.

It depends on the performance of the CPU, the video card, the game settings and even hard drive speed and memory amount to determine the overall CPU the game needs.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Not entirely right Behellagh. That only happens when the program is coded to take advantage of it. If a program is only coded to run on one or two threads, the most your OS can split it across is one or two cores. The OS can dynamically adjust so that the most intensive processes have a core or two to themselves, but that’s about the limit.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well on my hex core i7 I seem to use 7 to 8 threads (of 12 possible)… thats about it. load on cpu isn’t much higher then 40-45% either… (while also running TS, browser)

GPU isn’t maxed out either. (running at 60FPS capped, mostly because of heat considerations. playing 3-6 hours raises temperature here by 3-5 celsius on the whole floor… Good in the winter bad in the summer….)

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Not entirely right Behellagh. That only happens when the program is coded to take advantage of it. If a program is only coded to run on one or two threads, the most your OS can split it across is one or two cores. The OS can dynamically adjust so that the most intensive processes have a core or two to themselves, but that’s about the limit.

I admit it’s an oversimplification. But I didn’t want to complicate the explanation by bringing in the concept of threads. But since this game has lots of threads but an unbalanced work load across those threads, the game rarely needs the power beyond three cores. Since someone else explained the asymmetric nature of the workload across threads including the number and the use of Process Explorer to watch the workload across threads, I didn’t bother to reiterate that.

And there is rarely a direct mapping of threads to cores by the software itself. That like many other aspects of modern software is left up to the OS to handle. So yes, on one hand software is coded to take advantage of multiple cores. On the other that doesn’t mean that software will scale linearly to the number of cores you have or that only a few cores will show a lot of activity instead of all of them showing a somewhat balance share.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes