dont go with the 1 serious/1joke legendary

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SkullProX.7083

SkullProX.7083

It’s ok for the hardly used weapons like rifle, shield etc, but please dont do this for the more popular types. You didn’t even follow it for every weapon so far, since both astralia and frostfang are serious category, so if you can please just make serious ones…

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Weird, most of the legendaries have been, “jokes,” in my opinion. Oversized, excessive, bling.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you care to look it up, the Devs addressed this topic in the latest AMA.

Good luck.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I actually find that the Quip is the serious weapon and the H.O.P.E is the ‘joke’ one. One of them is an other-worldly imbued weapon, perhaps in the style of Lyssa. The other shoots pew pew lasers.

In other words, it’s all simply a matter of taste.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: xBrutalityx.3507

xBrutalityx.3507

Dreamer is also another serious one.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

How is the new legendary a joke? It’s a freaking PIRATE THEMED CANNON! I am wholly confused by these people that get humor, and theme, two completely unrelated concepts, crossed to the point that they can’t even tell the difference between the two. The apples and oranges analogy isn’t even applicable here, this is like getting apples and rocks crossed, the two are so unrelated there is no reasonable explanation for any amount of confusion.

If you don’t like it you don’t like it, but theme exists in any fantasy world just as it exists in the real world and calling this a joke because you don’t like it is inexcusably juvenile and wholly worthless feedback.

Yes, it’s impractical, but this is fantasy, and while they may have rarely been used in battle, armor and weapons crafted for decorative purposes are common in pretty much every era, even ones themed after a specific subject. I mean you can find roman armor covered from head to toe in gilded lion sculptures, completely impractical, yet does anybody call that a joke? No? Then why is this a joke? Pirates and ships and naval warfare are commonly associated with early blackpowder firearms, especially the use of heavy cannons, just as a lion was associated with power and close-arms warfare in ancient Rome.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

Just don’t give it super annoying sounds… i couldn’t care less what it looks like

Posted by: Xultair.7954

Xultair.7954

but the sounds are the best part

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Forstfang is a dragon’s head on a handle you can even see it’s breath

It is the joke axe

Furthermore joke and serious change things up while a few people would complain about the joke counterparts even more people would complain if there was very little variations in legendary choices.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Would equipping rodgort melt frostfang? Now that would be a joke!

Kudzu could also be seen as a joke, but my sylvari ranger really synergizes with it…

I hope there will be a nice legendary longbow fo my warrior however.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Weird, most of the legendaries have been, “jokes,” in my opinion. Oversized, excessive, bling.

Same. Most of them look utterly ridiculous.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If you care to look it up, the Devs addressed this topic in the latest AMA.

Good luck.

For reference.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5svug8/the_head_of_the_snake_devs_here_ask_us_anything/ddi7t5w/

Posted by: Frenchtoastersticks.8061

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

but the joke ones are my favorite…….

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m not sure they are doing 1 serious and 1 joke legendary for each weapon. It seems to depend on who you ask.

Look at the two staves (staffs) for example. Some people say Bifrost is the “joke” legendary because its brightly coloured and has a rainbow theme and Nevermore is obviously the serious one because it’s dark and mysterious. Other people say Nevermore is the joke one because it includes an animated raven and because of the name, while the Bifrost is serious because it’s (loosely) based on actual Norse mythology. And then other people say they’re both equally silly/serious.

It’s the same with the short bows. Some people say Chuka and Champawat is a serious contrast to The Dreamer because it’s darker coloured and shoots tigers instead of unicorns. Other people say they’re both joke weapons.

Given that I think it’d be pointless for Anet to deliberately try to make a ‘serious’ legendary and a ‘silly’ legendary for each weapon. I suspect the deciding factor is simply what designs the art team come up with that everyone involves like and want to include in the game. Maybe also ones that it’s easier to come up with precursors and a collection for.

However looking at variety more generally I think they’re doing a good job. We’ve got a dark staff and a light one, a dark shortbow and a light one a fire themed shield and rifle and a water themed shield and rifle. The two pistols are maybe a bit too similar and the axes are both predominantly blue and silver, but other than that there’s a good range so far. And that’s probably more important than trying to work out how different people decide what’s silly and what isn’t.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

Honestly they could have skipped Rifle entirely and I don’t think anyone would have cared or noticed. It’s just disappointing to be waiting 3 months for a legend, hoping it’s one that’s badly needed like the Longbow, only to get most useless weapon class in the game, and looks silly to boot. Then you gotta wait another 3 months and hope they don’t release a torch that looks like a monkey farting fire.

Posted by: Anela.3867

Anela.3867

Would equipping rodgort melt frostfang? Now that would be a joke!

Kudzu could also be seen as a joke, but my sylvari ranger really synergizes with it…

I hope there will be a nice legendary longbow fo my warrior however.

Kudzu is the most beautiful bow ever created anywhere. I only play characters that can use a longbow because I won’t play without my Kudzu. On my Asura, I can make a bed of flowers buy spinning in place. It makes me smile every time.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

lol are people really trying to act like there isn’t a clear set of gag weapons in the game?

-Dreamer shoots Lisa Frank rainbow unicorns that have a MLP stamp of the Anet logo on their butts.
-Quip is a plastic toy gun that shoots streamers and sparkles at people.
-Moot is a disco ball on a stick compelte with associated dance club effects.
-Shooshadoo is a literal fishbowl that you use as a shield.

The only one that really falls into a grey area is the new rifle since it seems incredibly silly but probably wasn’t meant to evoke a humorous response like the above clearly were.

Everything else might seem garish or in poor taste, but they weren’t intentionally designed to be punchlines.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

i think people who think the new rifle is a gag weapon are getting mixed up between the idea of a joke weapon and the idea of a strongly themed weapon.

anet did address this in the ama though and said they were not doing a 1:1 serious to joke weapon thing.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books